View Full Version : New Years Invitational--Arlington VA 2/7/09

RachelSk8er
11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Who is going?

I am thinking of making the trip now that gas has gone down (AND I also found a cheap flight) but haven't made definite plans yet.

If I am able to go, I'll enter:

Silver free
Either silver or gold solo dance (depends on what I decide to do for ANs)

And one more event, not sure if it'll be masters MIF, silver or gold compulsory or an interp.

Stormy
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm in, I'll need the feedback before Easterns. Gold Free, and another event for fun, not sure which one though.

Terri C
11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm going to this one too, if anything, to get more competitive experience as a Bronze lady before AN!
Bronze Freestyle and Interp for me.

Scarlett
11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm in. Pre-bronze FS.

mdvask8r
11-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Hoping to enter Bronze Dance with my partner.
BTW, this event is in Ashburn VA, not Arlington. The rink is about 5 minutes from Dulles International.

RachelSk8er
11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Hoping to enter Bronze Dance with my partner.
BTW, this event is in Ashburn VA, not Arlington. The rink is about 5 minutes from Dulles International.

Too bad flights to Dulles are over about 3x as much as they are into Baltimore for me. Direct flight to Baltimore is $139, flights to Dulles start at $325 for a layover in Newark and jump to $425 for direct (and to DCA it's around $200).

It's only 6 hrs so I could drive it (hopefully gas will stay $1.99/gallon like it is now).

Scarlett
11-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Fly into DCA...It's not that far of a drive to Ashburn. DC is one of those cities that has 3 major airports (DCA, Dulles, BWI) that aren't that far from each other but have insanely different airport fees. BWI will be too much of a hike but flying into National is reasonable if you were planning on renting a car.

RachelSk8er
11-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Fly into DCA...It's not that far of a drive to Ashburn. DC is one of those cities that has 3 major airports (DCA, Dulles, BWI) that aren't that far from each other but have insanely different airport fees. BWI will be too much of a hike but flying into National is reasonable if you were planning on renting a car.

I have enough travel miles to totally cover the flight into BWI. It all depends on what my partner in crime ends up doing...if I fly we'll be sharing a rental car so that wont' be a big deal cost-wise. BWI is only an hour and 15 min from Ashburn, that's only 30 min more than DCA (all subject to insane DC traffic, of course, although every time I go to DC I fly into BWI and traffic isn't too bad if you time it right). To a girl who used to drive 2 hrs each way to synchro practice, an extra half hour is nothing.

Stormy
11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Partner in crime chiming in here.....Flights out of Boston are hovering right around the $220 mark for BWI, Dulles or Reagan so I could go into any of them. Although checking Southwest out of Providence to BWI it's cheaper there. I could do that and if we could coordinate getting into BWI at the same time that'd work out well. :)

RachelSk8er
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Partner in crime chiming in here.....Flights out of Boston are hovering right around the $220 mark for BWI, Dulles or Reagan so I could go into any of them. Although checking Southwest out of Providence to BWI it's cheaper there. I could do that and if we could coordinate getting into BWI at the same time that'd work out well. :)

Works for me! Even if I get in earlier (all the cheap flights for me are in the AM), I don't mind hanging out for a few hours at the airport and getting some studying done. I'd be more productive doing it then anyway because there will be no studying once the shenanigans start!

Now where to find an inflatable chili pepper...

Chili Pepper. Spice Girls CD. Skates. Dresses. Yup, that's about all we need.

coskater64
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm going, probably doing the Master's moves, the master's free skate ;-P
and then gold solo dance. Always a fun event!!:halo::halo:

herniated
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Not going to this one... once again. Looks like I've herniated/bulged a disc again. So the back is not too reliable yet. Plus we are doing some home improvements this year. Maybe next year!!

RachelSk8er
11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm going, probably doing the Master's moves, the master's free skate ;-P
and then gold solo dance. Always a fun event!!:halo::halo:

Hmm maybe I'll join you in moves. I keep chickening out when it comes to testing MIF again (haven't tested moves since I passed novice 9 yrs ago), maybe an event like this will help.

Are they really using the juv power 3s for masters MIF, or did I read that wrong? I would have thought they'd stick to intermediate, novice and jr tests.

Stormy
11-04-2008, 09:15 AM
You didn't read it wrong, that really is what they're using....totally screwy, IMO. BTW, there's a bunch of Southwest flights to BWI for me, so I'll work around whenever you decide to go in. Hotel is all set (upgrades, yay!). I'm really excited for this!

majc
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I made the mistake of pre-paying for a room at the Embassy Suites (next to the rink) for a cheaper rate. Then the schedule came out and I realized I only needed a room for Friday night. Are there any dancers who need a room? I cannot cancel or modify my reservation based on the pre-pay terms. I will let you have the room for $70.

Please let me know!

majc012797@verizon.net

Stormy
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I actually ended up not being able to do this because of a conflict with synchro easterns, which I was really bummed out about. I didn't see a link to the schedule on their website, is it out somewhere or did they just e-mail it?

Terri C
01-24-2010, 10:31 AM
It's on the Washington FSC website.. www.wfsc.net. Looks like a very small competition this year.

Debbie S
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Wow, it is small. I imagine the economy plays into it, but I also think it's very telling that only 2 skaters are doing a CM event, and that's the Gold level, and only Gold and Silver skaters were interested in the footwork event. The Bronze and Silver Spins event numbers are low along with Pre-Bronze and Bronze FS. 3, 4, 5 years ago, when I competed, there were a lot more Pre-Bronze and Bronze skaters.

Takeaways? How about choosing elements in the Spin and CM events that skaters at that level can do? And go back to MIF events instead of the bizarre "Footwork' setup. I know, the ref wants to challenge skaters and occasionally lives on another planet. But the problem with that is it hurts the comp, and the club. I wouldn't be surprised if the club officers start talking about not having the comp anymore. And then no one wins. I hope the adult skaters in the Wash FSC can affect some change here. With all the judges in the club, I think there has to be at least one other person who could referee the comp.

Stormy
01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I know, the ref wants to challenge skaters and occasionally lives on another planet. But the problem with that is it hurts the comp, and the club.

The ref dosen't make the events, the LOC does.

Debbie S
01-25-2010, 09:41 AM
The ref dosen't make the events, the LOC does.My understanding from Wash FSC skaters is that this particular person does choose the elements in the CM, Spin, MIF/now Footwork events. Maybe her involvement goes beyond just being the ref, don't know. :??

MusicSkateFan
01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
The ref dosen't make the events, the LOC does.

;);););););)

LOL LOL LOL LOL

All of the Adult WFSC Members would be ROTF with that statement!

I hope no men entered the compulsory moves events. You will be scratched!

Bring your snow shoes! We are supposed to get snow Friday night and During the day on Saturday!

flutzilla1
01-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Takeaways? How about choosing elements in the Spin and CM events that skaters at that level can do? And go back to MIF events instead of the bizarre "Footwork' setup. I know, the ref wants to challenge skaters and occasionally lives on another planet. But the problem with that is it hurts the comp, and the club.

I know that this is the exact reason I don't do this competition. It's a really long drive from New York State to this comp, and I can't justify making that kind of trip and the expense that goes into it just to do one FS event, especially when there are several other options much closer to me throughout the year that do offer many events at my skating level, such as Halloween Classic and the Colonial adult comp. I agree that making the spin and CM events a little more realistic would bring a lot more out-of-area skaters to this competition.

NoVa Sk8r
02-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Results are posted:
http://wfsc.net/

Direct links:
IJS events (http://wfsc.net/docs/NYI_2010/index.htm)
6.0 events (http://wfsc.net/docs/NYI_2010/NYI_2010_results.html)