View Full Version : sewing pattern for skirt?

peanutskates
10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I've just found a nice blue bit of fabric and figured I could try to sew a skirt from it: I'm looking for any advice/pattern suggestions. It has to be really simple, because I've never sewn properly before. Also, if it is possible to do most of it by hand, that would be good (I might get access to a sewing machine at school, but otherwise, it's needle and thread for me). It's for figure skating (not dance), so it should be quite short.

Skittl1321
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Kwik Sew 3051 is skating skirts: http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3051&QL=MissLeotards

I think, from my experience, sewing a skating outfit by hand would be very difficult. A straight stitch does not stretch, and unless you are talented at hand sewing, it would be difficult to do a stretch stitch, like a zig zag, or another stitch that might be done by hand (I don't hand sew, so I don't really know what's possible.) For a skirt- this would really only be an issue at the waist.

Another option would be to take a pair of brief that are store bought and attach a circle skirt to them. I like double circle skirt for fullness- you essentially cut two full circles (with a circle cutout of the middle), then cut along the radius of each and sew them together. Then you attach them to the brief. This site has instructions, but for a longer skirt- you'd just need to experiment with cheap fabric or even paper to determine the right length, before cutting into your nice fabric. http://www.zilltech.com/FAQCostumeCS.html

mskater
10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a nice pattern for these? I one which is really a bad design and it has to be altered each time I use it so I'd like a better one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

livestrong04
10-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I have successfully made three skirts using a Jalie pattern. The pattern has a skirt and a jacket. The skirt has 2 tiers but I tried making the skirt without the second tier or ruffle and I like that one even better than the two I made with the second tier. The pattern is #2456. I don't know if this link will work, but I bought the pattern and you can see the picture on www.sewingpatterns.com - search on Jalie. Here's the link: http://www.smartcart.com/1sew/cgi/searchindex.cgi

The instructions were very easy to follow. This was my first time sewing on stretchy fabric and I had no problems. The only major alteration I made on the 2nd and 3rd skirts was to lengthen the yoke in front and back a little because I wanted the waistband to hit at the true waist. I thought it was a little low on the first skirt and I ended up using narrower elastic for the waistband as a result.

Mrs Redboots
11-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I've just found a nice blue bit of fabric and figured I could try to sew a skirt from it: I'm looking for any advice/pattern suggestions. It has to be really simple, because I've never sewn properly before. Also, if it is possible to do most of it by hand, that would be good (I might get access to a sewing machine at school, but otherwise, it's needle and thread for me). It's for figure skating (not dance), so it should be quite short.

It's not always easy to find the patterns here in the UK, but basically any short crossover/wrap skirt pattern will do, as long as you wear something dark underneath over your tights. Go to your nearest John Lewis - or if you have a fabric shop near where you live, go there - and have a browse of the patterns. I suggest John Lewis as, if they don't have the pattern you want in stock, they'll probably order it for you; your local fabric shop might be as unhelpful as mine is about such things!

samba
11-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I have used the same method for years, find a large dinner plate.

1. Fold your fabric in half.

2. Place the dinner plate upside down and half way across the fold.

3. Chalk around the half circle of the plate

4. Measure from the chalked half circle to the length required all the way around.

5. Cut chalked markers including the original half circle and cut one side of the folded edge, add a waist band and there you have it.

You can try it with a large piece of newspaper first just to be sure you understand what is needed, also if you want the back longer than the front you need to gradually chalk it longer from about half way. This hangs better if you do a little pleat in the middle of the back, before adding the waistband. If you are a larger lady you will need to check how it measures up first on a sample of newspaper.

peanutskates
11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Samba -

what exactly do you mean by
4. Measure from the chalked half circle to the length required all the way around.

also, would it be possible for me to see how the finished result will look? Do you have any photos? (if not, don't worry, I'm just curious)

Skittl1321
11-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Samba -

what exactly do you mean by

also, would it be possible for me to see how the finished result will look? Do you have any photos? (if not, don't worry, I'm just curious)

I think that what is meant is that the radius (though not really a radius, as it's from the chalked half circle, and not the actual center) determines the length of the skirt.

When in doubt, make the skirt longer- it can always be trimmed shorter.

samba
11-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I think that what is meant is that the radius (though not really a radius, as it's from the chalked half circle, and not the actual center) determines the length of the skirt.

When in doubt, make the skirt longer- it can always be trimmed shorter.Spot on Skittl.
I will try to get a picture on later.

ibreakhearts66
11-07-2008, 02:00 AM

I agree that hand sewing doesn't usually work too well for skating, as you need a lot of stretch.

Here's (https://www.specialtysportswear.com/cart/proddtl.php?catalog_id=100000057&) one. You can choose from the different series for a different look (flat, full, long, short etc). I've never used one of their patterns (but I mean too! I even have fabric!), but I've heard good things.

Does anyone know where I can find a nice pattern for these? I one which is really a bad design and it has to be altered each time I use it so I'd like a better one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you mean a full unitard? If so, I can't help you. But if you mean a shirt with the crotch built in, the same website as above has those as well as pants.

Here's (https://www.specialtysportswear.com/cart/prodlist.php?subcat1=700&PHPSESSID=2cbacf4ad66aa6a4c8362a2be0e0b6aa) a link to the men's stuff

Thin-Ice
11-07-2008, 02:07 AM
ibreakhearts link to Specialty Sportswear is a good one. I've used lots of different companies' patterns.. and this is the one I keep coming back to. The patterns are fun and different.. but there is one downside, her instructions are unnecessarily complicated and confusing. Soooo, if you've sewn much, you can just ignore the instructions and do what comes naturally. If this is your first attempt sewing from a pattern, talk with someone else who sews and have them explain her directions in clearer language. Have fun!