View Full Version : After Adult Gold MITF

sexyskates
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
One of the adult skaters in our area just passed her Intmediate MITF after having passed her Adult Gold. I remember seeing a chart on the USFSA site that stated that this was a correct progression - that the 4 Adult MITF tests could replace the first 4 standard track MITF tests. However, this week she was alerted by USFSA that she needs her Juvenile Test first, and the judges are checking into it. I believe she is the first adult in our area to test this high. However, I am not finding the info on the USFSA website anymore. Has there been a change? I thought adults from other clubs had continued testing after Adult Gold.

Debbie S
10-28-2008, 08:57 PM
AFAIK, Int follows Gold. The only reason someone would need Juv MIF is if they wanted to take the Juv Free Dance or Pair test, which some adult skaters do take. But my understanding is that after Gold, you enter the standard track at Int - the idea is that you've met the 3.0 passing standard at Gold, so you move up to the 3.2 level (Int). I know of at least 4 adult skaters in my area that have passed Int MIF after passing Gold MIF (w/o Juv).

doubletoe
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I took the Intermediate MIF test after passing the Adult Gold MIF test and I know several other adult skaters who have done the same. It sounds like the person inputting this test at USFSA just wasn't up to date on the current rules. It should all be in the rulebook because it has been in place for years.

Here's one reference to it in the 2005 Combined Report of Action, which is a report of all of the rules approved for the new season (page 32):

Proposal A:
Create the allowance of crossing over from the standard track to the adult track for MIF only. If the skater
passed the standard intermediate MIF, she/he would not be required to take the adult gold MIF before being
allowed to take the adult gold FS or pair test; if he/she passed the standard juvenile MIF, he/she would not be
required to take the adult silver MIF before the adult silver FS or pair test; if she/he passed the standard prejuvenile
MIF, she/he would not be required to take the adult bronze MIF before the adult bronze FS or pair test;
and if he/she passed the standard preliminary MIF, he/she would not be required to take the adult pre-bronze
MIF before the adult pre-bronze FS test.
This will be allowed in one direction ONLY. That direction is from the standard-track MIF to the adult-track
MIF tests. There will be no crossing over from the adult-track MIF to the standard-track MIF, except where
currently already provided (adult gold MIF or FS to standard intermediate MIF).

and here's the link to that document online:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2005CombinedROA.pdf

NoVa Sk8r
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Passing Adult Gold MITF allows you to switch to the standard track and take the Intermediate MITF. Not sure why these judges don't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. Many judges and coaches alike are clueless when it comes to adult skating.

(And once you pass Intermediate MITF, you can go back and take all the standard track FS tests up to Intermediate.)

The only thing I could find on the USFSA website is this:
"There will be no crossing over from the adult-track MIF to the standard-track MIF, except where currently already provided (adult gold MIF or FS to standard intermediate MIF)."
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=27717
item 7.

doubletoe
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
LOL! Great minds thinking alike. . . simultaneously!

mikawendy
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
There is one strange thing--the USFS test registration database must not have been programmed correctly. When preregistering an adult for Int MIF, if that adult has passed all of the adult moves tests, the database still spits out a warning that Juvenile MIF is needed (even though that doesn't match the rulebook requirements when a skater has passed Gold MIF).

doubletoe
10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
There is one strange thing--the USFS test registration database must not have been programmed correctly. When preregistering an adult for Int MIF, if that adult has passed all of the adult moves tests, the database still spits out a warning that Juvenile MIF is needed (even though that doesn't match the rulebook requirements when a skater has passed Gold MIF).

That is interesting. That would be a good thing to notify the Adult Committee about and get it fixed. You might want to e-mail Lexi Rohner. I think there's a link with her contact info. on the Adult program section of the USFSA site.

mikawendy
10-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Good idea; I just sent off an e-mail.

Black Sheep
10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I took the Intermediate MIF test after passing the Adult Gold MIF test and I know several other adult skaters who have done the same.

I never took any of the Adult-track MITF tests. I passed Adult Gold FS on December 16, 2001--before the Adult Moves were instated. ;)

pairman2
10-29-2008, 10:40 AM
When in doubt go to the book:

TR 19.02 (B.)
Adult skaters who have passed the adult gold moves in the field test are permitted to take the standard intermediate moves in the field tests without testing the standard pre-preliminary through juvenile moves in the field tests.

emma
10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Unless things have changed you can take your intermediate moves after your adult gold moves. At least that is what I did. I have never heard of needing to take Juv moves before intermediate moves when you have finished your adult gold moves.

jskater49
10-29-2008, 03:16 PM
As a test chair, I can tell you that when you try to enter tests and anything is just a littlel out of the orndinary - it will pop up an error message. It did that when I tested Adult Bronze moves - I took the pre-bronze FS before there were adult moves so I was grandfathered in and the little gremlins in the test online test report didn't know anything about it so they told me I coudln't test my bronze moves. Just ignore the grimlins. You can report the test, but then you may need to email memberservices and ask them to take the hold off your test.

j

mikawendy
10-29-2008, 11:13 PM

Good idea; I just sent off an e-mail.

I got an e-mail back today saying the glitch in the database has been fixed. Yay!

badaxel
10-30-2008, 06:50 AM

I was going to say that, too. When I took my Int MIF, the test chair had to call me and say I needed the Juv test. I had to explain it to her, too, but it was okay in the end!
Good Luck!

Mel On Ice
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Many judges and coaches alike are clueless when it comes to adult skating.

Unless they are adult skaters or adult skating fans. I know of lots of these. :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
10-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Unless they are adult skaters or adult skating fans. I know of lots of these. :bow:Yes; thank God for these people!

doubletoe
10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I got an e-mail back today saying the glitch in the database has been fixed. Yay!

Wow, that's awesome! :bow: A lot of adult test-takers will be less frustrated because you took that initiative!

sexyskates
10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks everybody! I gave my friend all the information and she was quite relieved. I'm sure it will all work out. It's true that most judges aren't up on all the nuances of the adult skating world.