View Full Version : Crash Pads: Friend or Foe?

Swizzler
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I am seriously considering buying kneepads and a tailbone pad, because those are the main areas that I have fallen on. However, my two coaches disagree with each other on their value. I have done some research (on this forum) and it seems like the gel pads would be best, but there are those who swear by volleyball pads or even cut-up foam rubber.

What do you think?

1) Yes, pads are great and have saved my ...! OR

2) No, you will become too dependant on them and won't be able to skate without them.

jazzpants
10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
I consider them a friend and those pads have saved my tailbone and hips many times. However, my coaches wouldn't allow me to wear them.... so I would say that my crash pad is the friend with the "bad influence..." :twisted: :lol:

Bill_S
10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I wear knee and elbow pads religiously. Without them, I'd be very, very broken by now.

Broken so badly I wouldn't be able to skate. Broken bone bad.

I don't feel naked without them though. I've even forgotten to wear them sometimes and didn't notice until afterwards. Good thing I didn't take a hard fall.

But I'll never, never practice without them - if I remember.

BTW, what's "BFF" in the poll?

Swizzler
10-28-2008, 07:05 PM
"BFF" is "Best Friends Forever". See for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIUcRJX9-o

:lol:

Skittl1321
10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I bought crash pads to work on my jumps. I'm not willing to skate fast into my jumps and I was hoping these would trick me into thinking falling is safe.

I've been able to add a little bit of speed, but not much.
And I haven't fallen on them yet. Which is one of my issues with skating- I'm not willing to fall, even with the pads on...

Swizzler
10-28-2008, 07:52 PM
That is exactly what I want them for. Well, that, and back crossovers (I've fallen on my kneecap way too often due to my blades getting tangled).

Like you, I have issues with speed going into jumps, and without the flow my jumps are pitiful. :frus:

dbny
10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I never skate without my gel knee pads. Too much damage already. As a coach, I take the opposite view to Jazzpants' coaches. I advise all my adult students to get the inexpensive bicycle pull on knee pads, but I do leave it up to the individual. I know two adults who have broken their knee caps, who well might have been spared had they simply worn the $5 pads. Kids can take a lot more abuse than adults, and also do not have to go out and earn a living. I frankly do not understand a coach telling an adult student that she or he should not wear protective padding. That is a personal decision.

CoachPA
10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Kids can take a lot more abuse than adults, and also do not have to go out and earn a living. I frankly do not understand a coach telling an adult student that she or he should not wear protective padding. That is a personal decision.

I completely agree. There's a difference between getting hurt, as some kids often complain of, and getting injured, which is much more likely with adult skaters. Adults tend to be much more aware of the risk and consequences of injury sustained through the physical demands of skating. To deny them the use of protective padding, at least during practice, is ridiculous.

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
My coach lets that be my decision, since I have had a back injury (not skating related). but, she did say that when we start working on the flip and lutz she would like me to wear them "for a bit at the beginning" and I'm cool with that.

After all, a 46-year-old body doesn't land quite the same as a much younger one (less bounce, much less bounce-back)

Mrs Redboots
10-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I put "foe", since, unless you have very thin pads, you can't wear them for test or competition, and this could be problematic. Coach1 says that he lets his skaters wear them, because sooner or later you find out that you always fall on the one bit of you that isn't padded.... and even Husband has now stopped padding his arm for free skating, although if he were to get his loop elbow back, this would probably change.

dbny
10-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I put "foe", since, unless you have very thin pads, you can't wear them for test or competition, and this could be problematic. Coach1 says that he lets his skaters wear them, because sooner or later you find out that you always fall on the one bit of you that isn't padded.... and even Husband has now stopped padding his arm for free skating, although if he were to get his loop elbow back, this would probably change.

I wore the $5 pads for testing. I took an old pair of tights and cut them to make covers because I wore a dress to test. Now I do have the very thin SkatingSafe pads. So true that you fall on the one unpadded bit! DH and I were assisting with a show, and DH forgot to put on his knee pads. Don't you know, a kid ran right in front of him and he fell on his knees.

renatele
10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I wore pads for MITF testing, too - and am very glad I did, as I went down hard on my knees during the warmup! It was a hard fall even with the skatingsafe kneepads, can't imagine without.

For regular practice, I wear home-cut thicker pads made of Akton gel (stuff that skatingsafe kneepads are made of).

Sessy
10-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Best friends! I kept re-injuring the wrist until i discovered wrist guards and then the same thing can be said for my butt... My hip was starting to kill me! Fortunately, I don't feel a psychological dependence on them. I skate just as easily without. I only wear them when I'm practising separate elements anyway. But then I don't have a problem with the pain OR fear of falling, I love skating so much I forget all about it out on the ice, I actually had problems with very specific *injuries* exactly because I was too absorbed by it.

liz_on_ice
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I've gone down hard on my knees in the gel pads, and it was like falling on pillows.

I wore them religiously while I was learning the sal and toe loop, but now I'm relatively comfy with them. I should start again now I'm working on loop and flip.

My issue with them is I sweat under them and they slip down, if I wear two pairs of tights to hold them I feel my movement is restricted. I made cotton covers for them to put under my tights but that slips more than bare pads. Still working on the perfect solution.

dbny
10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
My issue with them is I sweat under them and they slip down, if I wear two pairs of tights to hold them I feel my movement is restricted. I made cotton covers for them to put under my tights but that slips more than bare pads. Still working on the perfect solution.

Whereas I have found that a bit of sweat keeps mine in place, so I moisten them before putting them on. Have you tried two sided tape? Maybe just a bit at the top would do the trick.

singerskates
10-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I have yet to were crash pads when I skate other than one elbow pad for 2 months just after beginning to learn to figure skating 8 weeks after breaking my left elbow before getting lessons. I'll get crash pads when I start working on the Axel and relearn the 2 Salchow before that it's not really worth it to me. How do I know? I didn't fall much on jumps until I started playing around with the Axel and 2 Salchow before my 2005 work place injuries. I'm just trying to get over my fear deep in my subconscience that is messing with my loop, flip, lutz and backspin. I'm wondering if my subconscience is trying to protect me from getting to the Axel and 2 Sal when I use to fall quite a bit? I have herniated discs in my upper back.

Sk8Dreamer
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
I am seriously considering buying kneepads and a tailbone pad, because those are the main areas that I have fallen on. However, my two coaches disagree with each other on their value. I have done some research (on this forum) and it seems like the gel pads would be best, but there are those who swear by volleyball pads or even cut-up foam rubber.

What do you think?

1) Yes, pads are great and have saved my ...! OR

2) No, you will become too dependant on them and won't be able to skate without them.

I use crash pads (hips and butt) and volleyball knee pads, and I love them. Frankly, they don't make me any less timid (which I'd hoped they'd do), but I do know that when I fall, it doesn't hurt as much. When I land on my knees, it's like landing on a pillow. The only problem with the kneepads is that sometimes I feel like they bump into each other when I'm working on back crossovers. Other than that, they're great.

ibreakhearts66
10-30-2008, 03:13 AM
I don't wear them too often any more, but sometimes I do for 2axels. I use a sleeve from my doctor with Akton padding on my elbow, and padded shorts by Twizzles for my hip/but. However, sometime I take one of the pads out of the shorts and just stick it on my hip when I don't want to wear them for the whole time. One of the seams on the pocket that holds the hip pad was starting to come undone, so it's easy to just slip it in and out.

Back like 4 years ago, I got pretty attached to my kneepad, but now I rarely fall on my knees.

dbny
10-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I use crash pads (hips and butt) and volleyball knee pads, and I love them. Frankly, they don't make me any less timid (which I'd hoped they'd do), but I do know that when I fall, it doesn't hurt as much. When I land on my knees, it's like landing on a pillow. The only problem with the kneepads is that sometimes I feel like they bump into each other when I'm working on back crossovers. Other than that, they're great.

You can safely switch from the bulky volleyball knee pads to the thinner bike knee pads and not have any problems on B crossovers.

coskater64
10-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I use the gel pads for hips. Only use them for jumps, they are thin and I will most likely use them for competition.

Swizzler
10-30-2008, 10:10 PM
You guys are awesome; thanks for all the well-reasoned responses! :bow:

I am going to call Skating Safe tomorrow and order some gel knee pads, then tell everyone at my rink that they better watch out 'cause I will be fearlessly flying through the air! Well, at least getting more than 3 inches off the ice. ;)

Skate@Delaware
10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I have yet to were crash pads when I skate other than one elbow pad for 2 months just after beginning to learn to figure skating 8 weeks after breaking my left elbow before getting lessons. I'll get crash pads when I start working on the Axel and relearn the 2 Salchow before that it's not really worth it to me. How do I know? I didn't fall much on jumps until I started playing around with the Axel and 2 Salchow before my 2005 work place injuries. I'm just trying to get over my fear deep in my subconscience that is messing with my loop, flip, lutz and backspin. I'm wondering if my subconscience is trying to protect me from getting to the Axel and 2 Sal when I use to fall quite a bit? I have herniated discs in my upper back.

I'm thinking my injury (lower herniated disc, now repaired) is causing me to be more "cautious" in my skating; however, I only wear pads occasionally. My problem is lack of confidence. No pad can help that.

Swizzler, they are helpful at the beginning if they help you gain "air time" so go for it!

Query
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Don't use them. I still believe in learning to fall gently:

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/falling.html

But I do use long sleeves and long pants, often nice thick sweat pants and shirts, which are pretty close to using padding, and also stop abrasion.

As with anything athletic, falling gently takes serious practice time to create new safe reflexes that replace the old dangerous ones, and once in a while something simple may take you by surprise (in my case, blade guards I forgot to take off), and you will fall a little harder than practiced. There is nothing wrong with wearing what makes you feel safe. Some skaters avoid them for performance, so they can look thin.

FLskater
11-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I bought a pair of knee pads from a dance shop - they were considered hip-hop pads. I feel naked without them. They took awhile for me to get used to bending my knees while wearing them.

The big problem I have is they are bulky, and I don't wear them if I am going to do a show. I have been considering getting the skating safe pads - those are the ones you can wear under tights without them being too noticeable, right?

Debbie S
11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I have been considering getting the skating safe pads - those are the ones you can wear under tights without them being too noticeable, right?Are you talking about those gel pads with a plastic exterior? The thing about those pads is they slip, a lot. The package says to wear them under 2 pairs of tights but that still doesn't fully solve the problem. I have the ones for knees but rarely use them, b/c not only do you have to keep stopping to push them up, as the pad conforms to your knee, the material around the border tends to pinch your skin, and it can be quite irritating, in more ways than one.

Some skaters avoid them for performance, so they can look thin. Looking 'thin' has nothing to do with it. Just like you woudn't wear practice clothes for a comp or show, you also wouldn't wear practice padding.

sk8lady
11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't wear pads for figure skating since the part I most often fall on is already naturally extremely well padded. :)

However, when I play hockey I wear full gear and if I'm coaching anyone above Mites I at least wear shinpads (since the time I got on the ice to help out with PeeWees and the head coach turned to me and said, "Let's play coaches against the kids," and when I looked around only two kids were my height or shorter.).

If I ever get as far as a jump where I fall on something other than my keister I would probably wear a pad or my hockey shorts.

dbny
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Don't use them. I still believe in learning to fall gently

No matter how much you practice, the time will come when you cannot control your fall. It could be because of an obstacle on the ice, another skater, or just losing your balance suddenly. I once saw a high level skater & coach fall while standing still. She had to be carted off in an ambulance.

I have been considering getting the skating safe pads - those are the ones you can wear under tights without them being too noticeable, right?

Are you talking about those gel pads with a plastic exterior? The thing about those pads is they slip, a lot. The package says to wear them under 2 pairs of tights but that still doesn't fully solve the problem. I have the ones for knees but rarely use them, b/c not only do you have to keep stopping to push them up, as the pad conforms to your knee, the material around the border tends to pinch your skin, and it can be quite irritating, in more ways than one.

Looking 'thin' has nothing to do with it. Just like you woudn't wear practice clothes for a comp or show, you also wouldn't wear practice padding.

I use the Skating Safe knee pads every day, and they don't slip at all. I do not wear them horizontally as directed, but instead, put the point at the top. This gives more surface area to the upper and lower leg so they stick better. I also apply just a drop or two of water first, and that also helps them stick. You might have to buy a bigger than recommended size to wear them with that orientation and still get full coverage, but that doesn't affect the price (already sky high), and it really works. They are not visible under my black skating pants, but I'm sure there would be at least an outline visible in the tights if I wore a dress.

Sk8Dreamer
11-07-2008, 09:25 PM
You can safely switch from the bulky volleyball knee pads to the thinner bike knee pads and not have any problems on B crossovers.

I just saw this. I'm not sure what bike knee pads are, but I'll look into them. Sounds like a great suggestion. Thank you!

dbny
11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I just saw this. I'm not sure what bike knee pads are, but I'll look into them. Sounds like a great suggestion. Thank you!

They look a lot like the volleyball pads but are only about half as thick. I wore them for years before I finally bit the bullet and shelled out $$$ for the SkatingSafe gel knee pads. I took my first real impact on the SkatingSafe pads today, and am happy to report that I didn't feel any pain at all and have no bruising or pain many hours later.

Swizzler
11-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for being our guinea pig! :)

Glad you weren't hurt!

kelisk8s
11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
I wore padding as long as I can remember. It actually helped me learn how to fall in a safer manner. It also protected bruises and broken bones. What I would do was once I felt secure on a jump I would do all the jumps up to that one with padding and then put the padding in before I was to work on the one that was not consistent. Sometimes I would fall on the prior ones, but it was a way to not be dependent on the padding. I used foam and soccer knee pads and an under padding for a football shoulder pad. These all worked well and I could slide them in between skating pants and tights and they would just need a little adjustment. I did look like J Lo though! ;)
-K
www.cutiepet2tie.com

Swizzler
01-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I finally bought the Skating Safe pads, and love them! Do they last longer if you keep them in the plastic containers they came in? Can they stay in the car between uses? :roll:

jazzpants
01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I was BFF with my crash pads, but secondary coach ended the friendship!!! :evil: I think I'll put BFF on the poll just to piss her and primary coach off!!! (And b/c I totally disagree with her on pads on the hip and tailbone at least!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) (Pssst... I have the palm pad under my gloves though... ;) )

SkatingSafe is the way to go if you are going with pads. Do NOT go the volleyball pads or the foam pads. They will slide and get pushed off on impact at times!!! (Guess how *I* know???) If you can't afford the SkatingSafe pads, there's some sort of pad (can't remember the name) that you can buy and cut to your size and shape... and it's supposedly SkatingSafe made their pads from this material too.

dbny: Glad you like the SkatingSafe pads. (Hey! I thought you were going SKIING????) :P

SkaterBird
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I was BFF with my crash pads, but secondary coach ended the friendship!!! :evil: I think I'll put BFF on the poll just to piss her and primary coach off!!! (And b/c I totally disagree with her on pads on the hip and tailbone at least!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) (Pssst... I have the palm pad under my gloves though... ;) )

SkatingSafe is the way to go if you are going with pads. Do NOT go the volleyball pads or the foam pads. They will slide and get pushed off on impact at times!!! (Guess how *I* know???) If you can't afford the SkatingSafe pads, there's some sort of pad (can't remember the name) that you can buy and cut to your size and shape... and it's supposedly SkatingSafe made their pads from this material too.

dbny: Glad you like the SkatingSafe pads. (Hey! I thought you were going SKIING????) :P

My coach is fine with pads. She told me that she used to wear as many as three sets at a time when learning some of her advanced jumps. I love the skating safe ones - money well spent, I think, especially as they have saved my already-iffy knees from some nasty falls.

sk8lady
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't wear pads for figure skating, mostly because the easily obtainable kind make me feel too stiff and I am too disorganized to buy any online, but I do advise my adult skaters to wear anything that makes them feel comfortable, including a helmet. I do wear a helmet for anything to do with hockey, and shinguards if I'm refereeing or coaching PeeWees. I didn't wear them to referee until I did a Mites game (6, 7, and 8 year old) because most of them can't lift the puck, let alone hit it hard enough to hurt someone, but then I did a couple face offs where the kids starting laying about them with sticks BEFORE I actually dropped the puck. Guess whose knees were right at stick height for these little tiny kids? OUCH! :P

Swizzler
06-20-2009, 12:23 AM
I have been wearing my Skating Safe gel kneepads religiously since I bought them. Today, I had my first major fall with them on ... back crossovers, the clink of doom and then - bam - down hard on both knees. No pain, in fact, it felt like sitting down on a mattress. I love my kneepads! :bow:

Kat12
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM
I say somewhere between "friend" and "bff." I think they're only a foe if they make it so you can't move well/annoy you so that you can't focus on skating, or if you develop a psychological mindset that if you don't wear them, you're going to die (which is what I assume is meant by "can't skate without them").

I wear knee and elbow pads. They're not too thick (I can't even tell I'm wearing them), but thick enough that they make me feel confident. I started wearing knee pads from the beginning; I've seen my mom's travails with really bad knee arthritis (think almost no cartilage left), with the worst being in a knee she once injured in a car accident in her 20s. I don't want to end up the same way in my 40s/50s and beyond because I hurt my knee(s) skating (I have yet to fall on my knees, but I'm sure the day will come). The elbow pads I added a few weeks ago after a nasty fall that left my elbow so sore it's only just about now stopped hurting (usually I can try to fall gently but that was one of those falls where you're up, then suddenly you're down, and you're not really sure how you got there, so there's no time to try to make it easier). I do tend to fall on my elbows (and bum, but there's already plenty of padding there!) and I counted myself lucky I didn't break or fracture anything, but am not going to take the same chances twice.

Any coach that doesn't like my pads will be told precisely why I wear them, and that if they want me to take them off, they will be prying them off my cold, dead body. They don't have to live with any injuries I may sustain. I do. Possibly for the rest of my life. Therefore, they don't get any say on what I do with my body, as I believe my padding is perfectly reasonable--it's not like I'm wrapping myself in bubble wrap so I can't move.

My pads are the foam kind, already attached with a sleeve to hold them on. I've looked at the gel pads online, but cringed at the cost, and spent about $15 on both my knee and elbow pads at Dunhams instead.

My issue with them is I sweat under them and they slip down
What about that stuff you buy to put under rugs so they don't slip? Attach a bit of that at the back?

AgnesNitt
06-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I wear inline skating wrist guards and skatingsafe 'invisible' elbow pads. Since I was working on my 'kick' in the change edge serpentine and was afraid of falling backwards I stuffed the gel knee pads into a hat and wore that instead of a helmet (this was called by friends as the 'pad in the hat')
Anyway, when I fell and broke my ankle, at least when I stuck out my hand to break the fallI didn't get a broken wrist at the same time, so I feel positive about them. BFF with my pads (Also, you can use the elbow sleeves over the compression bandage on your ankle, to make it less likely to snag on anything).

SkaterBird
06-20-2009, 11:09 AM
I've gone down hard on my knees in the gel pads, and it was like falling on pillows.

I wore them religiously while I was learning the sal and toe loop, but now I'm relatively comfy with them. I should start again now I'm working on loop and flip.

I wear the gel pads religiously - they have saved my knees on hard knee falls more than once - and I wear Assets capri-length shapers by Sara Blakely, under my tights, to hold them in place. $12 at Target.

Skate@Delaware
06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
What about that stuff you buy to put under rugs so they don't slip? Attach a bit of that at the back?
What works good for me is a bit of 2-sided tape (gap-tape used for holding clothing in place) or making sure I'm wearing my tight under armour. I did convert a pair of bike shorts into pad-holders by stitching some gel-pockets onto them (put shorts on inside out, gently pin some t-shirt fabric where you want the pads to go, insert pads, re-adjust the pins, stitch leaving open space at top to insert/remove pads; this is easier with a buddy but if you don't care if the stitching is even or not you can do it by yourself).

dbny
06-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I have been wearing my Skating Safe gel kneepads religiously since I bought them. Today, I had my first major fall with them on ... back crossovers, the clink of doom and then - bam - down hard on both knees. No pain, in fact, it felt like sitting down on a mattress. I love my kneepads! :bow:

Until you experience a hard fall with them, it's hard to believe just how good they really are.

Any coach that doesn't like my pads will be told precisely why I wear them, and that if they want me to take them off, they will be prying them off my cold, dead body. They don't have to live with any injuries I may sustain. I do. Possibly for the rest of my life. Therefore, they don't get any say on what I do with my body, as I believe my padding is perfectly reasonable--it's not like I'm wrapping myself in bubble wrap so I can't move.

Good for you! I've never understood why anyone would let someone else dictate something so important to their own health and well being.

My pads are the foam kind, already attached with a sleeve to hold them on. I've looked at the gel pads online, but cringed at the cost, and spent about $15 on both my knee and elbow pads at Dunhams instead.

I put off buying the good gel pads until I was able to write it off as a business expense, but looking back at some of the falls I took with the foam pads, I can see that I should have bitten the bullet and done it sooner. I urge you to look past the dollar cost and think in terms of the health cost. Those gel pads are worth their weight in gold.

Skate@Delaware
06-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I put off buying the good gel pads until I was able to write it off as a business expense, but looking back at some of the falls I took with the foam pads, I can see that I should have bitten the bullet and done it sooner. I urge you to look past the dollar cost and think in terms of the health cost. Those gel pads are worth their weight in gold.
I started with the foam pads, but when I "upgraded" to the gel pads I was amazed at how much better they were in several ways: shock aborption was 1,000% better, and the level of comfort was so much better since they tend to move with your body more so than with the foam. Yes, they do cost more but hey, I look at it in a preventative injury cost sort of way!

londonicechamp
06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi

I do wear padded shorts whenever I go for my ice skating lesson and practice. I did not wear them when I first went ice skating back in January of this year. Then I got one bad fall whilst attempting a bunny hop, and hurt my pelvis. That is when I decided to dig out my padded shorts again. They do protect me from falls, i.e. the falls are not so painful when I wear them. :lol:

londonicechamp

caffn8me
07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I will certainly be looking at getting padding when I get onto things like jumps. I do now wear wrist guards following a recent wrist fracture. I suppose I wore the ultimate wrist guard when I skated with londonicechamp a few weeks ago - I still had my arm in a cast :)

I managed two different fractures in six weeks skating (finger first and then the wrist on the opposite side). Because of that I have a bone density scan on Monday to see if there's a problem that needs to be fixed (other than falling over, that is!).

Sarah