View Full Version : Toddler hates skating

sbaulch
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello,

I'm a Mom of an almost 3 year old boy and thought it would be fun to introduce him to skating. I went to the local skating arena with two friends, who also have sons of the same age. My friends' children had a blast learning to skate. My son refused to put his skates on. I didn't push it, as he tends to be a bit more cautious than other kids. So, I just put him in our stroller and I skated, pretending to race the other two boys (he thought that was fun). He did ask to wear his helmet, so I thought that was good sign.

I've since asked him if he would like to go skating, and his response is that he doesn't like skating. I want to respect his wishes in terms of the activities he wants to participate in. However, I would like to give skating more than just one shot. Should I try taking him again and see if I can get skates on...even if it means that he doesn't get further than the stroller? Or should I wait and see if he asks to go skating? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Samantha

Isk8NYC
10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
He's not ready, so don't push him into trying it again. I've seen the results of "one more try" and forced skate-wearing result in a kicking tantrum. It's not worth making him hate the sport, or worse, having someone get hurt by a flying skate or kick.

A lot of rinks have (off ice) childcare on site; try letting him go to that while you skate for at least four to five tries.

Or, go watch some of the local skaters skate at the public session or at a show/hockey game. It's usually free or cheap and it might pique his interest.

In any case, wait until he's ready or until he's older and then broach the subject again.

momof3chicks
10-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I think he is still pretty young- skating is not easy. I don't think my girls would have liked it at 3 and you should see them now.

isakswings
10-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Hello,

I'm a Mom of an almost 3 year old boy and thought it would be fun to introduce him to skating. I went to the local skating arena with two friends, who also have sons of the same age. My friends' children had a blast learning to skate. My son refused to put his skates on. I didn't push it, as he tends to be a bit more cautious than other kids. So, I just put him in our stroller and I skated, pretending to race the other two boys (he thought that was fun). He did ask to wear his helmet, so I thought that was good sign.

I've since asked him if he would like to go skating, and his response is that he doesn't like skating. I want to respect his wishes in terms of the activities he wants to participate in. However, I would like to give skating more than just one shot. Should I try taking him again and see if I can get skates on...even if it means that he doesn't get further than the stroller? Or should I wait and see if he asks to go skating? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Samantha

I agree with the others, let it go for now and give it some time. At the rink we skate at, I don't see too many skaters as young as your son. I know of one 3 year old who takes lessons and another boy your son's age who is learning to skate. The boy your son's age has parents who both skate and teach lessons. He's been on the ice(in his parents arms) since he was very young. Because of that experience, I think he does better on the ice then some other young ones might. Give your little guy some time. He might warm up to the idea later. :-)

sbaulch
10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks you for your help. I was thinking of just letting it go for now, but wanted to hear from more experienced people.

I like the idea of letting him watch us to pique his interest. Since my husband and I do a lot of skating outside in the winter, this will be easy for us. If he still doesn't seem interested, I'll just wait until next year and try again.

Thanks!

Samantha

Kay
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Since he is such a young age, I would feel that he hasn't necessarily developed a firm opinion on it - however, fears of things can develop very early on so if you create a bad experience, he may 'fear' skating. With that said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try again at a later date, just that easing into things will help prevent a bad experience.

If you have an outdoor rink or a frozen lake this winter, would it be possibly to ease the transition by letting him wander out onto the ice with just snowboots (and a helmet!!) on? If he has a good experience while standing on the ice, and experiencing that, it might be easier to convince him to put on skates after a few snowboot sessions? Good luck!

Mrs Redboots
10-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks you for your help. I was thinking of just letting it go for now, but wanted to hear from more experienced people.

At our rink, I think you have to be at least four, if not five, to start learn-to-skate; he will have more muscle control and enjoy himself far more if you wait a year or two.

AshBugg44
10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I teach skating, and I would say that most almost-3-year-olds are not ready to skate. It's really hit or miss at that age. They're either ready, or they're not. There's not usually an in-between. Give it a little time. Maybe in a few months he'll be ready to try.

momof3chicks
10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I teach skating, and I would say that most almost-3-year-olds are not ready to skate. It's really hit or miss at that age. They're either ready, or they're not. There's not usually an in-between. Give it a little time. Maybe in a few months he'll be ready to try.

When you think of it, at 3, they have finally somewhat mastered walking! I think for most it is a development in coordination thing.

dbny
10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
It's very, very individual. I've seen 2 year olds march across the ice just fine, and 5 year olds struggle and be so fearful they won't let go and move on their own. I think that if the strength, coordination, muscle tone, and willingness are there, then 2.5 would be ideal. At that age, they are still "walking" by putting each foot down flat, which is just what is needed to begin skating. By the time they start walking heel-toe, they don't want to "march" anymore, and start trying to push one foot in front of the other on the ice, or even trying to actually walk on the ice.

In any case, I've never seen anything good come from pushing a child to skate when they don't want to do it.

Skittl1321
10-29-2008, 11:59 AM
If he is not enjoying it, I would say given it 6 months or a year and try again.
I teach snowplow sam lessons and have a few 2 and 3 year olds who have a lot of fun, but they don't always actually "skate". If they are enjoying themsevles, just time spent sitting on the ice, standing and bending their knees, etc can be beneficial- as it gets them comfortable with the rink, but it's rare that a young young toddler gets passed marching in a session- we might get wiggles, but swizzles are an advanced skill until they get to 4 or 5, when we can teach them better. So there is no sense in forcing him to do something he doesn't really like. If he was having the time of his life, I'd still slightly question if it was worth the price of lessons, or just better as an occasional public skate. It all depends on the kid.

momsk8er
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Totally agree with prior posters. Just from my experience with my daughter, so YMMV. But I tried her out with skating at 3, but she really didn't like it. Then at her request, we tried again when she was 5, and she loved it and progressed pretty quickly.

sk8lady
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I think I've heard of one 2 year old who enjoyed skating. I have never seen one. My own son started at three but I had to be willing to let him skate for a few minutes, then get off. (Obviously, I was at the rink anyway.) Wait and try again next year.