View Full Version : Dress ideas for a 6 year old please.

3skatekiddos
10-27-2008, 09:19 AM
She is skating to " A whole new world " from Aladdin. I know. Disney. But what can you do? I don't want to dress her like a Disney Princess and it needs to be age appropriate.
Links and pictures would be lovely :)

CanadianAdult
10-27-2008, 09:51 AM
You've caught me in the middle of browsing the chinese dresses. I like two just from this one website: First I like purple ombre (http://cgi.ebay.com/Attractive-and-Original-Cheap-Popular-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ120324579112QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4939 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) because it's purple and covered and light for a child.
I like this onesleeveless peach (http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-and-Original-Competition-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ120315282368QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4939 QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) because I like the colour, it has some stoning which creates an interesting pattern but not overdone and is fairly covered for an off the shoulder dress. I think the one shoulder look is a bit mature for a six year old but depending on the child, it might work.

Query
10-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Gee, you gals worry so much about clothes.

Aladdin? There is a genie in that story. How about a subtle reference - dress like Barbara Eden in "I dream of Jeannie". Unless that too sexy for a little girl.

Here are some pictures from Disney's Aladdin.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=opera2&va=aladdin&sz=

There are girls there to imitate that aren't too obviously princesses.

Anyway, what's wrong with a Disney Princess?

Disney is wonderful. Some people complain Disney rewrites classic stories. But I think that's what any good story teller does.

In fun. :o

isakswings
10-27-2008, 08:54 PM
She is skating to " A whole new world " from Aladdin. I know. Disney. But what can you do? I don't want to dress her like a Disney Princess and it needs to be age appropriate.
Links and pictures would be lovely :)

I would probably look for something in the same color that Jasmine wears. It doesn't have to be "princess-y" but I would probably go for something in a similar color. I think it's a turquoise, right?

sk8tmum
10-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Jerry's Skatewear makes a whole line for little girls. They are all age-appropriate, well-made, and comfy to wear, with a great deal of selection. There are definitely ones with enough sparkles, spangles and detailing to make any little girl very happy. They look like something that 6-year old girls would wear ... and are also generally warm enough that they don't get the shivers on the ice from exposed skin! Look for Jerry's Kids dresses. I've seen then in most of the online US stores, and they are definitely easily available in any store I've seen in Canada. Plus, you get good resale value on them at skate and dress exchanges because little girls like them ...

http://www.jerryskate.com/products.php

Go to page 10 of the dresses. They start there. Because Jerry's is very widely carried, most stores can order in whatever you want from the distributor, if there is a size or style that you like. I like the Breezy Blue dress, it looks sort of Jasmine-y and it is a nice colour for many different colourings.

BTW: I've heard more than one judge comment on overly-tricked out little girls (i.e. over-done dresses, overly-expensive dresses) that they aren't appropriate for "little girls" who are in the early competitive stages. Don't know where your six-year old is in the scheme of things, but, just a thought. I know my six-year old is in pretty and girlish but not flashy costumes by her coach's specific directive, with long sleeves, high necklines, fluffy skirts, and a minimum of bling because she believes that little girls should look like little girls.

Tennisany1
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
BTW: I've heard more than one judge comment on overly-tricked out little girls (i.e. over-done dresses, overly-expensive dresses) that they aren't appropriate for "little girls" who are in the early competitive stages. Don't know where your six-year old is in the scheme of things, but, just a thought. I know my six-year old is in pretty and girlish but not flashy costumes by her coach's specific directive, with long sleeves, high necklines, fluffy skirts, and a minimum of bling because she believes that little girls should look like little girls.

I second this. IMHO six year olds should not wear spaghetti strap dresses or one shoulder numbers. They are just not appropriate. There is lots of time for that later. My dd wore long sleeves with a scooped neck until she was 8 at which time she switched to short sleeves with a scooped neck. The scooped neck was mainly because I make her dresses and I didn't want to mess with a zipper down the back.

Jerry's does have some lovely age appropriate dresses that are reasonable priced. A little sparkle here and there is great, but I would stay clear of illusion fabric.

3skatekiddos
10-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Age appropriate is what I am finding the hardest. I was all for re-using last years dress but she grew out of it! It was so sweet and girly and CHEAP ! LOL. I already miss it :)
I'll keep looking. I am hoping to find a nice used one on ebay but it hasn't happened yet.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Although...... Does anyone else find that their younger kids are influenced by the older girls at the rink? For clothes, accesories etc?

sk8tmum
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Age appropriate is what I am finding the hardest. I was all for re-using last years dress but she grew out of it! It was so sweet and girly and CHEAP ! LOL. I already miss it :)
I'll keep looking. I am hoping to find a nice used one on ebay but it hasn't happened yet.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Although...... Does anyone else find that their younger kids are influenced by the older girls at the rink? For clothes, accesories etc?

What, you mean the 6 year olds and 8 year olds wearing the size 00 LuLulemon skating clothes - ? Sure.

RachelSk8er
10-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with the theory of KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I competed back in Sept and the adult events were right after the little beginner events. Some of these little girls had on dresses with everything you could imagine. Puffy sleeves, floofy multi layer skirts, butt bows, huge bows in their hair, hair glitter, face glitter, and WAY TOO MUCH make-up. I know little girls like to look/feel pretty but there is a point where cute/pretty crosses over into ridiculousness. I thought the cutest ones were the girls out there in simple dresses (clean lines, simple syles, maybe with some rhinestones or a sparkly fabric), little/no make-up, and ponytails. You know, the ones who actually looked like little girls.

And go with bright colors. Avoid black for a young girl. There is plenty of time for black dresses when she is older, and so many colors that only someone either really young or really tiny can get away with.

Skate@Delaware
10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Most of our younger girls wear a long-sleeved (or short sleeved with a turtleneck under) dresses. They add a small bit of bling around the neck, add a matching ribbon or barette in their hair and they are done. Maybe some lipstick or lipgloss. That's it.

They are trying to get mileage out of those dresses. And they buy one size larger (or get 2nd hand or hand me downs from their older sisters).

As long as they look NICE and not wearing tights with holes, badly scuffed up skates etc they are ok. They don't need to spend $300 for a dress only to be worn once.

sk8tmum
10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
And, a basic velvet and velvet skirt, or velvet body/chiffon skirt dress can double nicely as a practice dress, which means that you get a lot of wear out of it. Something that is ornate and doesn't cover little arms and shoulders isn't practical for practicing, however. That's part of why the Mondor dresses for little girls (which go for around $59 Canadian for the simple ones :)) and the Jerry's ones are great; your kid gets a pretty dress to practice in which you can WASH, which is warm, and which can also hit the ice for competitions. Add a pretty hairbow or scrunchy on a bun to the dress and it gets quite fancy enough for your general competition, and the skater is already familiar with how the dress feels and moves on the ice; I've seen lots of little girls wearing their COMPETITION DRESS who are tugging at this or that because it fits differently than they are used to, or who skate very carefully because they don't want to wreck their dress ... We had one pink velvet one with a shimmery pink chiffon skirt and sparkly lace around the waist where the skirt joined the bodice, and it was worn many many times, practice, test and competition ... and then was handed off ... it's on it's 3rd skater and still looks great!

sk8tmum
10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I agree with the theory of KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I competed back in Sept and the adult events were right after the little beginner events. Some of these little girls had on dresses with everything you could imagine. Puffy sleeves, floofy multi layer skirts, butt bows, huge bows in their hair, hair glitter, face glitter, and WAY TOO MUCH make-up. I know little girls like to look/feel pretty but there is a point where cute/pretty crosses over into ridiculousness.

I shall never forget ... on the subject of Disney princesses ... one young lady around 7 or 8, who skated to Beauty and the Beast. She had had Belle's dress replicated into a skating dress, complete with flounces and crinolines and off-the-shoulder flounce, sparkles and glitter everywhere ... and, as a finishing touch, her hair piled up with a tiara in place, and white gloves. The whole thing must have run huge dollars ... the best part was seeing the judges trying to keep a straight face, the worst part was seeing the faces of the little girls in their simpler dresses who were devastated at the sight of this dress. Which leads to another point ... as parents, let's keep it simple for the sake of all of the little girls who don't/can't wear hugely fancy dresses, because when you're six, it's hard to understand some things in life, and competitions are supposed to be a joy at that age, and all about having fun and skating, not about who has the fanciest, "bestest", most sparkly dress ...

off my soapbox.:halo:

twokidsskatemom
10-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I shall never forget ... on the subject of Disney princesses ... one young lady around 7 or 8, who skated to Beauty and the Beast. She had had Belle's dress replicated into a skating dress, complete with flounces and crinolines and off-the-shoulder flounce, sparkles and glitter everywhere ... and, as a finishing touch, her hair piled up with a tiara in place, and white gloves. The whole thing must have run huge dollars ... the best part was seeing the judges trying to keep a straight face, the worst part was seeing the faces of the little girls in their simpler dresses who were devastated at the sight of this dress. Which leads to another point ... as parents, let's keep it simple for the sake of all of the little girls who don't/can't wear hugely fancy dresses, because when you're six, it's hard to understand some things in life, and competitions are supposed to be a joy at that age, and all about having fun and skating, not about who has the fanciest, "bestest", most sparkly dress ...

off my soapbox.:halo:
Yes but that is a part of skating you cant control.No more than kids that have skates/blades they dont need, 5 lessons a week, zucca bags for basic skills skaters, or go to regionals so so they can act better than those that dont.Maybe its not a pretty part of skating but its something they have to understand at some point.
I have seen young skaters that were wearing too much for their LEVEL, not so much an age thing.Try to pick something that goes along with the music.

twokidsskatemom
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
What, you mean the 6 year olds and 8 year olds wearing the size 00 LuLulemon skating clothes - ? Sure.

Never heard of them!!

slusher
10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
All Disney music sounds the same to me, sorry to disappoint the purists who can tell them all apart. For a minute or two on the ice, I doubt many of the judges can say, oh yes, it's that scene from Aladdin and she wears a certain sort of dress and then immediately puts the child last because they've not recreated the dress exactly. Pffft!!

The kid is six, she probably knows what she wants and I'd let her pick. If they love the bling and are all excited to skate in it, who cares what anyone else thinks.

- learning at an early age to skate for yourself and not what anyone at the rink says is a very good lesson.

Isk8NYC
10-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Say it ain't so! Aladdin is my very favorite Disney cartoon! (Mainly because of Robin Williams.)

Anyway, when my oldest daughter skated to "Marketplace" from that album, she wore a dark purple dress with a v-neck, longish, very full skirt, and tulip sleeves. (I sewed it) I trimmed the skirt with a nice sequined braid in a darker purple and added a few stones in a pattern along the V-neck. She was older though - around 12, I think.

Mrs Redboots
10-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Of course, the little girls who are probably a little older than 6 always enjoy the excuse to wear full make-up which is presumably normally Not Allowed. Come to that, I do myself!

I think, for a six-year-old, the time to dress up (if you can afford it and want to) is when they're doing showcase/artistic/interpretive events, whatever they are called in your area. For a free-skate, simple is best - okay, a few stones around the neck if you can be bothered, and certainly a little touch of glitter powder on the face (makes it special), and as someone else said, lipgloss and perhaps a special scrunchie for the hair, but that's about it.

momof3chicks
10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
My dd is tall for her age, and looks older than she is. I always felt like the judges should know she is actually as young as she is so I always try to dress her her age. Being tall, the last thing I need is a dress that makes her look 10 when she was 7.

Skittl1321
10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I think that a simple velvet mock-turtle neck is a good idea for a freestyle program. You could do it in Jasmine-typical blue color, if you want musical connection. Then you can lightly decorate it in crystals for a bit of sparkle.

I think that you shouldn't feel pressure to "dress like Disney". I did my program to Pocohantas "execution", and wore a simple green dress- but I was actively hoping no one would connect the music to Disney- as the "colors of the wind" theme doesn't come in until about halfway through the program, so the beginning most people don't know.