View Full Version : Competition dress for 10 y/o

isakswings
10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Is this style of dress appropriate for a 10 y/o girl?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120322063159&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=120321563625&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

or how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ180300460401QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m180300460401&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1424%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

This would be for her artistic program.

peanutskates
10-26-2008, 05:15 AM
I think so, the front isn't too open on either of them, and the colours are lovely!

abbi_1990
10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
i think that perhaps the first dress would be more appropriate because of the position of the stoning on the second dress.

they are both really beautiful though!

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
They're both nice; I think I agree, the 2nd dress will be nicer in a couple of years' time when she has something to emphasize, so if it were me, I'd go for the first one. Which one does she like?

sk8tmum
10-26-2008, 02:11 PM
They're both nice; I think I agree, the 2nd dress will be nicer in a couple of years' time when she has something to emphasize, so if it were me, I'd go for the first one. Which one does she like?

Whereas me, although I had the same qualm about the stoning on #2, thought the neckline on #1 was a bit too adult ... but, I tend towards the ultra-conservative in the pre to early teen dresses.

jenlyon60
10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Either would be okay, but I also think the neckline styling on dress #1 is a bit more "grown-up" than the neckline and stoning style on dress #2.

Virtualsk8r
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I like them both. Which one suits the music better? Choice of dress depends upon a few factors such as music theme, level of competition and physical age of the skater. If your 10 yr old is skating at a very low level, then too elaborate a costume with lots of stoning is not appropriate. Judges tend to view skaters at the bunny hop stage as suffering from the Jon Benoit syndrome when they show up with tons of sequins, rhinestones and feathers - but few skating skills. You've all seen that skater with her entourage at competitions.

However, if your skater is competing above her age level or looks young for her age and is at the juvenile, intermediate (or pre-novice level) - then dressing the skater in a more mature style is appropriate to fit the level of skating you are striving to impress the judges with.

In the LTS, pre-preliminary group, cute is always a good choice as they can get away with the hair rhinestones, sparkles and adorable dresses.

When my dd was 10 - she had her novice test and her dresses were tasteful but more mature and classical than her 10 year old friends because we had to present a novice lady to the judges rather than a 10 year old who could skate. Cute doesn't cut it at that level when you are up against strong skating skills from your older competitors.

RachelSk8er
10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I like both. I have the first one in a darker color (although I'm about 17 yrs older than your daughter). This seller's dresses are a good quality for the price, although they do run a tad big. I have purchased 2 dresses from them and they made modifications I requested (adding a few inches to skirt lengths, color changes, etc) and the dresses were made and shipped surprisingly fast.

A girl who I'm guessing was about 8 was wearing #1 in yellow at a competition I was at a month ago, I thought it looked age-appropriate and nice on her.

I will say that the stones they use are not the highest quality. If you're at all crafty, I'd go for #1 and maybe ask for them to leave stones off, buy some Swarovskis and glue them on yourself. (You could do this with #2 also but it would be a lot more work). If you don't like this idea, the ones they use aren't *bad*, especially considering your daughter is likely to outgrow this dress, but you can buy better stones here in the US if you're picky.

isakswings
10-27-2008, 07:04 AM
I like them both. Which one suits the music better? Choice of dress depends upon a few factors such as music theme, level of competition and physical age of the skater. If your 10 yr old is skating at a very low level, then too elaborate a costume with lots of stoning is not appropriate. Judges tend to view skaters at the bunny hop stage as suffering from the Jon Benoit syndrome when they show up with tons of sequins, rhinestones and feathers - but few skating skills. You've all seen that skater with her entourage at competitions.

However, if your skater is competing above her age level or looks young for her age and is at the juvenile, intermediate (or pre-novice level) - then dressing the skater in a more mature style is appropriate to fit the level of skating you are striving to impress the judges with.

In the LTS, pre-preliminary group, cute is always a good choice as they can get away with the hair rhinestones, sparkles and adorable dresses.

When my dd was 10 - she had her novice test and her dresses were tasteful but more mature and classical than her 10 year old friends because we had to present a novice lady to the judges rather than a 10 year old who could skate. Cute doesn't cut it at that level when you are up against strong skating skills from your older competitors.

She's not pre-pre yet. I love the first dress. The other 2 dresses she has are simpler too. Not really "cutesy" but appropriate. They are pretty yet not over done. :-) We put rhinestones in her hair too. LOL!

Anyway... thanks!

isakswings
10-27-2008, 07:09 AM
I like both. I have the first one in a darker color (although I'm about 17 yrs older than your daughter). This seller's dresses are a good quality for the price, although they do run a tad big. I have purchased 2 dresses from them and they made modifications I requested (adding a few inches to skirt lengths, color changes, etc) and the dresses were made and shipped surprisingly fast.

A girl who I'm guessing was about 8 was wearing #1 in yellow at a competition I was at a month ago, I thought it looked age-appropriate and nice on her.

I will say that the stones they use are not the highest quality. If you're at all crafty, I'd go for #1 and maybe ask for them to leave stones off, buy some Swarovskis and glue them on yourself. (You could do this with #2 also but it would be a lot more work). If you don't like this idea, the ones they use aren't *bad*, especially considering your daughter is likely to outgrow this dress, but you can buy better stones here in the US if you're picky.

Thanks. I've stoned one dress already so that is definately an option! :-) This is her first dress. It now has some blue stones on it too... simple yet pretty!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/isaks_wings/DSCF2278.jpg

isakswings
10-27-2008, 07:12 AM
I think so, the front isn't too open on either of them, and the colours are lovely!

i think that perhaps the first dress would be more appropriate because of the position of the stoning on the second dress.

they are both really beautiful though!

Whereas me, although I had the same qualm about the stoning on #2, thought the neckline on #1 was a bit too adult ... but, I tend towards the ultra-conservative in the pre to early teen dresses.

Either would be okay, but I also think the neckline styling on dress #1 is a bit more "grown-up" than the neckline and stoning style on dress #2.

Thanks everyone! I wondered about the placement of the stones on #2 also. Dd likes both dresses. For the srtistic number, she'll be skating to LeAnn Rimes, "Can't Stop the Moonlight". I thought a bue dress would be nice with that music. :-)