View Full Version : Checking Impaired

Mainemom
10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Just had to share -

I've recently started Adult lessons at our rink and have been lucky enough to have DD's private coach teaching the class. We were working on basic things like FO and FI edges and the coach kept stopping me to correct little things, particularly the position of my shoulders. Finally she started laughing and said "You have exactly the same problems as your daughter!" When we progressed to inside mohawks and my checking (or lack thereof, I should say) was not what she wanted, she again started laughing. After DD finished coaching her BS class, she came over to me, so I could show off my mohawks and told her what coach had said about our mutual issues (DD says her coach calls her "Checking Impaired") she laughed and said, "Now you know what I've been going through!" Who knew that such things were genetic!

Clarice
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Cute story! It doesn't surprise me all that much, though. A lot of moms and daughters have similar body types, and I imagine similar ways of moving, which would translate into similar strengths and weaknesses on the ice (adjusting for age, of course!). My daughter and I both have open hips, for instance, and find spread eagles and Ina Bauers relatively easy. Now if only I could acquire some of her other skills - especially spinning! Maybe if I'd started at 5 instead of 37 I could do that stuff, too!