View Full Version : Question about Jackson skates

rudi
10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know if Jackson Mystiques and Jackson Glaciers are similar, and if so, what the differences are?
Thanks!

Isk8NYC
10-22-2008, 11:27 AM
The Glaciers are a lower-level beginners skate than the Mystiques. They'd be fine for the occasional spin around the rink, but if you're paying for lessons, invest in the Mystiques. The Glaciers have more padding so they're more comfortable, but the Glaciers are a step down from the Mystiques because of the strength of the boot and the blade itself.

The Mystiques are a better investment because the chrome blade (vs. nickel) holds sharpenings longer and is better made. There was a problem a few years ago with the Glacier blades being mounted too far to the outside, but I think that's been resolved. Adjustments for misalignment are possible because the Mystiques have screw-mounted blades instead of the riveted-on Glaciers.

Mystiques can be used for LTS classes up until Basic 6-8 (usually) The Glacier starts to hold the skater back around the time that three turns are introduced (Basic 3 or 4) because of the need to control the ankle and blade. The Glaciers just don't provide the support needed and the blade doesn't have a good rocker. In children, this isn't the end of the world because they usually outgrow their skates, but in adults they "outskate" their Glacier skates before they wear them out.

rudi
10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks very much for your reply. My daughter has Mystiques now, but I need to buy her the next size up. I didn't know if the Glaciers were a step up or down.

She is learning Basic 6 skills currently. Now that I read your feedback, I will stick with the Mystiques for her.

Isk8NYC
10-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Ask her instructor to check out the skates. If they're not holding her back, getting the same model is a good idea.

Leather skates are more expensive, but they can be stretched by the pro shop when they get a bit snug. Gives you a bit of time to get the new ones. It always seems that my kids outgrow their skates overnight, lol.

Tennisany1
10-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I overheard a discussion at the rink the other day and a parent was complaining that the Jacksons weren't fitting the same now that Jackson and Gam have merged. I think they were discussing higher level boots, but just keep it in mind when your dd tries on new ones.

Virtualsk8r
10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Different models always fit feet differently because the last is altered by the upgrading/padding etc. I know my dd found she needed a much smaller size in the dance boot than she did in the Proflex boot - but needed a narrower Proflex. Of course, that meant a smaller blade as well. Both Jackson boots - but different sizes to fit properly!

BTW --- squeeze a few more weeks out of those small skates by removing the insole and skating in either bare feet or those pantyhose knee-hi's you can get. I've had skaters go the rest of a season that way.

Isk8NYC
10-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Just check for nails/nailheads in the footbed before you go without an insole. ;)

I agree - Jackson resized a few years ago. It probably was when they merged with Gam, but I don't think it's an issue any more.

Back in 2005, my oldest had a pair of Jackson Freestyles in size 8.5 that she outgrew and after two stretches/remoldings, I finally broke down and took her for a new pair. The skates were about two years old, and she had had a growth spurt, shooting up several inches. FULL STORY (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=243855&postcount=1)

The pro shop measured her and said she needed an 8.5-the exact same size! I couldn't believe it, but we tried a new pair of the same model and they weren't cramped at all. I pulled out the insoles and compared them, sure enough, the new skates WERE bigger and a bit wider.

Perfect for her, but I felt like an idiot buying new skates the same size as the old skates. Yet, my twins keep moving up sizes in the Freestyles. I really think there was an "adjustment" made a while ago in the Jackson sizing.

Guessing sizes is such a crapshoot (having learned to play craps last weekend, I understand that term now!) - One of my twins outgrew her Freestyles and needed a full size-and-a-half larger in the new ones. I would never have guessed that. I was measured for Jacksons last year and told I needed a size 9D. (eek!) I was in a pro shop earlier this week where they actually had skates in stock, so I tried on a few pairs while I was waiting. I really need a size 8C/D. (Recording that for future purchases, lol)

Make sure you try before you buy. It's really the best way.

fsk8r
10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm reading this with interest.
I'm currently in Jackson Elite Plus size 9B and am wanting to get either the Elite Plus Dance (i think that's what they call it) or the Synchro boot. Only I don't know a local pro shop which stocks Jacksons and if they do, they don't have the higher end models (just the recreational boots). They'll happily order them in for me, but won't be best pleased when they get a pair of synchro boots that don't fit me and they've got to try and sell (because there isn't that much demand for synchro boots as everyone wants dance and hasn't noticed that they just want low backs).
Anyway, does anyone think there will be much difference in the sizing between these different boots as I think the only real difference is the height of the back of the boot? For reference my current boots were bought in 2004 (and I've only just about broken them in now!) and I don't know when there was the Jackson - Gam merger.

isakswings
10-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know if Jackson Mystiques and Jackson Glaciers are similar, and if so, what the differences are?
Thanks!

I owned a pair of Glacier skates and IMO, I would buy the Mystiques over them. I used my Glacier model skates for 2-3 months before I bought myself some Riedell Gold Medallion skates. I am much happier in the Riedell skates. The Glaciers are fine if the person using them is a recreational skater who uses them just a few tiems a year, but if you are using them any more often then that, I would invest in a better pair of skates. I don't know a lot about the Mystiques other then I should have bought those over the Glaciers. Maybe I'd still be using them if I had done that! :-)

Isk8NYC
10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Good choice - adults shouldn't "cheap out" on skates because they really do need a supportive boot and good blade.

The Riedell Gold Medallions are higher quality than the Jackson Mystiques. The leather boot and sole on the Riedells makes for a better-made skate and the blade itself is designed for entry level freestyle. The Jackson Freestyle model is around the same level skate as the Riedell Gold Medallion.

isakswings
10-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Good choice - adults shouldn't "cheap out" on skates because they really do need a supportive boot and good blade.

The Riedell Gold Medallions are higher quality than the Jackson Mystiques. The leather boot and sole on the Riedells makes for a better-made skate and the blade itself is designed for entry level freestyle. The Jackson Freestyle model is around the same level skate as the Riedell Gold Medallion.

Thanks. For someone who is doing single jumps and working on spins, would you upgrade the blade that comes with the Freestyle boot? My daughter has a Jubilee blade on her Gold Medallions(I have the Excel on mine, which is fine for what I do!). The MK Professional blade is the blade we'll probably put on her next pair of boots. A lot of the kids at her rink use a MK Prosessional blade(the regular one).

Isk8NYC
10-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I think the MK Pro is a nice blade for that level of freestyle. A lot of people also use the Wilson Coronation Ace, but I think the MK Professional is fine.

isakswings
10-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I think the MK Pro is a nice blade for that level of freestyle. A lot of people also use the Wilson Coronation Ace, but I think the MK Professional is fine.

Thanks. :-) Hopefully she won't oputgrow her current skates anytime soon! LOL