View Full Version : pre-juv test

ibreakhearts66
10-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I decided to make a new thread because it's just too much to write in a practice thread.

So I tested pre-juv. I had a great lesson yesterday and a mini-practice before the test, so I felt ready. Things started falling apart on the second move--backward perimeter power crossovers. They were great, great, great, then BOOM! Literally, BOOM. I hit the freakin' wall. I knew I was in trouble when I did my second to last crossover, because I was basically at the end of the hockey circle. I pushed to my LBI edge, and crashed. One of the judges was funny/nice though--he said, "The wall sure comes up fast, doesn't it" Yes, yes it does :frus::frus: 3-turns were pretty good--put a foot down on one of them, but they were good other than that. Then powerpulls. I did them all to the best of my ability, until the left back powerpulls. I put my foot down. At this point, I figured, "It's over, I failed." My 5-step mohawk was OK, a little stiff, but not bad. They didn't ask me to reskate anything, so I was certain I failed.

I got off the ice, my coaches shook their heads, also thinking I failed. They sat me down, started talking to me, telling me that it didn't reflect on my worth as a human being, that the moves had come a long way, that they knew I was a nervous test-taker, but that I would get better. This got me crying. Then the test chair comes over and says that I passed! I FREAKIN' HIT THE WALL AND PASSED! All three judges passed me too! My moves coach said it was my edge quality is what saved me.

Haha, but one of the comments was priceless. "Good flow, blah blah blah. WALL!" It's like, yes, there was a wall there. I noticed lol.

Anyways, freeskate was next. I did one of the best camel-sit combos I've ever done. I hit the camel and was just like "YES!" Elements were all fine, but at the halfway point of my program I noticed that I was feeling sick. My last spin combo was the scratch-back scratch combo (perfect for an upset stomach). I finished that, ran off the ice, and barfed. So now I've barfed the last two times I skated in front of judges. I don't like this new tradition that seems to be forming.

But it doesn't matter, because I FREAKIN' PASSED!

FlyAndCrash
10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm so happy for you!

CONGRATS!!!

Hopefully you're stomach will settle down the next time you're in front of the judges.

Skittl1321
10-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Congratulations!!

I FREAKIN' HIT THE WALL AND PASSED!
Well, they do say end patterns are optional :) Just not many people choose that one. You must have had enough good to outweigh that.

Kim to the Max
10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Congratulations!!

Morgail
10-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Congratulations!! :bow:

I clipped the wall on a moves test once (I think it was on power 3s), but none of the judges made a comment about it. My coach and I decided they were all busy writing at that point and missed it :lol:

ibreakhearts66
10-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Congratulations!! :bow:

I clipped the wall on a moves test once (I think it was on power 3s), but none of the judges made a comment about it. My coach and I decided they were all busy writing at that point and missed it :lol:

Haha, I don't think they could have missed this. My mom said it sounded like a hockey player checking someone into the wall.

vesperholly
10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Congrats!!!

I did something similar when I took Novice moves - on the double 3s end pattern, I was so close to the wall I had to interrupt the pattern by skipping two turns. Not one peep from the judges and I passed. :)

jskater49
10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Wow. That's a great story you'll be telling for years. Congrats!

celticprincess
10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Congradulations!!!!!

Good for you!! Awesome:)

Haha I simular experiences with the wall during practice today!

Also a fellow skater/friend of mine has simular experience with getting upset stomachs when they skate in front of judges..or anyone. Only she gets sick beforehand and skates well after. However this girl also does acting and sings in front of people with no problem. *shrugs*

For me, nerves mostly effect my breathing causing me to get really winded. I also tend to get really quiet and not talk to ANY one. Normally Im a talker or at least jumping around with the other skaters but not when my nerves take over. Anyways, congradulations again!

froggy
10-18-2008, 07:48 PM
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dbny
10-18-2008, 08:13 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

doubletoe
10-18-2008, 10:29 PM
OMG, Sweetie, I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm about to PM you. . .

ibreakhearts66
10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks so much everybody! I'm still in disbelief that I actually passed with that test. And that all 3 judges passed me! One, maybe two, even had me at above the passing total. And, my scores on those back crossovers that sent me flying into the wall were all at or above average. I got a 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9 on them!

Oh, and I forgot to say, one of the judges commented on my freeskate that my artistry had improved a lot. That may be the comment I'm most proud of, because the artistry/performance part of the freeskate is my weakness, and I've been working really hard on it.

So yeah, I'm very happy :D

patatty
10-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Congratulations! I hit the wall during my Silver moves test too. That wall really does come up fast!

Isk8NYC
10-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Congratulations!

That's one of my biggest fears - I'm so afraid of clipping the wall, it's not funny. Most rinks have crummy ice along the edges, so I'm always leery of practicing, too.

phoenix
10-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Good for you!! I did the same thing, on the same move you did!! Whacked the wall, fortunately it was on the end pattern & the actual element was completed. Also did it during a dance test once too. Sounds like we're in good company at least. :lol:

sarahemarie
10-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Congratulations!!!!

Lol about the wall...on my senior moves test, I hit the wall, clung to it hoping to hold myself up, realized it was no use and let go, fell, and started laughing, because I knew I had to look ridiculous. The judges passed me with flying colors, remarking how powerful I was. It was a little bizarre. But moral of the story, crazy stuff happens. Anyway, Enjoy it! Those pre-juv moves are monsters, especially the 3-turns, and now, you never have to see them again!

Congrats again!

Mrs Redboots
10-19-2008, 09:00 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

I am scared of hitting the wall in our Variation test, although it's okay in our rink - I was very scared of doing it at Oxford, only we didn't as we were held up in traffic.

skaternum
10-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Awesome!!!!!!

The wall thing is a hoot! Truly one of those "look back on it LATER and laugh!" :)

twokidsskatemom
10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
congrats!!

sk8lady
10-19-2008, 07:13 PM
CONGRATS!

I think if you do something totally off the wall (pun intended!) like that they assume it's a one-timer mistake and don't count too much off. I caught a toepick on my forward perimeter crossover pattern and they didn't count off for it.

katz in boots
10-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Congratulations !!!!
To pass after all that is fabulous. In between the wall and the barfing, you must've done some good skating!

Thin-Ice
10-20-2008, 03:54 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I've judged many MIF tests where the skater has hit the wall; only in one case (Intermediate MIF) did we ask for a reskate. Generally judges around here figure you have an extra boost of adrenaline and are pushing a bit harder than normal so you hit the wall... and at least we know you have POWER!!! Which is so much better than someone just eeking out the bare minimum of effort to eventually make it down the ice.

As for putting your foot down... well, yeah, the judges probably were already pleased with what they saw and were already writing down good comments.

Congratulations on passing both tests!

RachelSk8er
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Congrats!

Same thing happened to me back when I tested intermediate MIF. I tested at a rink that's 15' shorter than standard NHL size and hit the wall a few times. I got off the ice and my coach's first words were "well, you can test again next month at a bigger rink." But I passed...and as if I didn't learn the lesson the first time, I also tested the European that same day, and was pretty much in the walls on most of the solo patterns (this was back when you had to solo the pre-silvers). Both sets of test papers had the same "watch out for those walls" comments from the judges. :laugh: I think they go easier at this rink because they know it's shorter than normal.

LilJen
10-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Congrats!!

A guys I used to ski with, poor guy, earned the nickname "Puke" for his nervous habit of throwing up before or after races. . . I hope your tummy settles down from here on out!