View Full Version : Growing quickly, does this affect a young skater? m

momof3chicks
10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
My girls, including my skaters, are tall. My eldest dd, who is an equestrian, had a heck of a time at times between ages 10 and 12 especially, when she was sometimes growing in height 4-5 inches a year.

I have seen my young skater (just turned 8) struggle with some jumps during growth spurts, and of course she is probably approaching a bigger spurt, much like her oldest sister.

Is is more difficult to adjust when you grow so quickly in height? Can a taller skater even do some of the things that a more petite one can?

sk8tmum
10-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Growth spurts are a problem. Especially if they are part of the puberty change. Many skaters lose their jumps, spins etc. DS lost all of his doubles and his axel ... got them back ... grew ... lost them ... grew ... continued to lose them ... got them back ... grew ... etc etc etc. Granted, these were 4 or 5 inch jumps in height. You just have to keep skating through it. Some kids do get frustrated, and they will quit. Especially the tiny ones who were jumping-beans and got their jumps fast and didn't have to struggle to master them ... many can't take the stress of having to work and work and drill (seen this too many times to think it's an isolated phenomenon).

Taller skaters: DD is 5'9". Yes, more weight in the air; different centre of gravity; and never looks as dainty as the smaller skaters. Because she is taller: it's easier for judges to see mis-positions because there is more visibility of her limbs and body. Spins are harder: more to rotate, but, when they do come back, they can look fantastic.

With puberty: changes in body shape are another issue, boys and girls.

But: taller also equals, hopefully, more power and more presence on the ice; more ice coverage.

Advice: be patient; lots of yoga, dance, and positive body image reinforcement; good coaching; continued time on the ice, and helping to understand the frustration that the skater feels.

momof3chicks
10-16-2008, 12:17 PM
But: taller also equals, hopefully, more power and more presence on the ice; more ice coverage.

True, there is a tall male skater at our rink - he has got to be 6'3" and watching him is impressive.

Mainemom
10-16-2008, 12:31 PM
We have a nine-year old skater at our rink who can't be more than 4'6" and although her jumps (singles) are very nice, they are over so quickly and they are only inches off the ice because that's all she needs to rotate and land them. My brother, on the other hand, is over 6 feet and his singles are huge because he is moving almost 200 lbs of muscle. His doubles scare me! DD is in between (5'7'-5'8") and has a very nice presence on the ice because of it. She had a hard time this summer because of some growth issues but has finally, as her coach puts it, "grown into her body", although she still doesn't have her axel back. It just takes time, and has been very frustrating for her, but I like the finished product better - I think taller skaters look nicer on the ice. DD doesn't go for dainty - it's just not in her! She'll leave that to the tiny pixies and go for the "Here I am - BLING!"

sk8tmum
10-16-2008, 01:41 PM

True, there is a tall male skater at our rink - he has got to be 6'3" and watching him is impressive.

DS Pre 6 inches of height and 35 pounds in weight: maybe a foot off the ice.

Post 6 inches of height and 35 pounds of weight: ice coverage of more than his height, and clearing the boards on his axel and double sal. Crashing more spectacularly too, when the longer legs still, sometimes, defeat him.8O

People getting out of his way before his growth spurt: 0

People getting out of his way after his growth spurt: EVERYONE!!!

(speed is also way up).