View Full Version : Hotfix Crystals on Stretch Velvet

katz in boots
10-13-2008, 03:12 AM
I have tried putting crystals on stretch velvet with a hotfix applicator, and I have tried a glue recommended by the seller and on this forum. Both times I ended up with most of them peeling off by the end of the evening. I get these little glue spots where the crystal/pearl was, which means you have to put on another crystal or it looks silly.

Is this just a problem with stretch velvet? Is there a way to put them on one stone at a time so they stay on permanently? Or is it better to get the type that you sew on (please say no, please say no, Pleeease say Noooooo....) ?

fsk8r
10-13-2008, 05:14 AM
I know absolutely nothing about hotfix and crystals, but I did have to reapply the applique on my dress. I was given instructions to keep the dress flat for 24hours so the glue had time to set properly. I can imagine that having it hanging with the weight of crystals might cause them to come off early if the glue hasn't properly set. Could this have been the problem?

jenlyon60
10-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Did you make sure that the stretch velvet was stretched before you applied the hotfix stones, and then for a while after you applied the stones?

patatty
10-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Are you sure that you are keeping the stones on the hotfix tool long enough for the glue to completely melt? I have stoned two stretch velvet dresses and haven't had any problem with stones falling off. If the glue on the back of the stones doesn't melt completely, they won't stick on the fabric.

sk8tmum
10-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Done lots of hotfix on stretch velvet, never had a problem; over a thousand on one dress last year, all sizes from tiny up to ss30. A few thoughts:

Be sure that you are leaving the hotfix applicator on long enough. You need to melt the glue completely. Also, if you're not using the right size of applicator, you might just be melting the glue around the "rims" of the stones instead of across the entire glue surface.

Check the stones after about 12 hours; be sure that they are completely adhered. If not, I remelt them to fasten them.

Leave them for at least 24 hours before you skate/wear the dress. That gives the glue time to set firmly.

I've washed (carefully in the delicate cycle) stretch velvet with hotfix, and they've stayed on nicely ...

I don't stretch the velvet before I apply, because that would make the stones "crumple" and fold in on each other I would think when the velvet goes back to unstretched state, and for areas that I'm stoning heavily it would ruin the pattern ... Also, not an issue for the dresses I'm stoning, as they are generally custom and the stretch is "there" but is not used a great deal due to the nature of the construction of the dresses, they are very fitted and don't need to stretch, but, I could see it being an issue if you are indeed having the material "pull" into a stretch as you skate. How much "stretching" is your velvet doing???

sk8tmum
10-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I know absolutely nothing about hotfix and crystals, but I did have to reapply the applique on my dress. I was given instructions to keep the dress flat for 24hours so the glue had time to set properly. I can imagine that having it hanging with the weight of crystals might cause them to come off early if the glue hasn't properly set. Could this have been the problem?

I don't hang stoned dresses; they are rolled carefully and stored in a cedar chest ... it's like the way they suggest you pack clothes for a long trip to minimize creases.

LWalsh
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
I've done lots of hotfix stones and only had a problem once on nude mesh. I think though that maybe I got a batch with bad glue or something because I never had the problem again. You need to watch the glue part while you are waiting for it to melt. Just as the whole surface gets shiney is the time to place it on the dress.

Lwalsh

Sessy
10-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Funny, stretch velvet is the material I HAVENt had problems with. Did you wash the material so there's no chance of some kind of oil or whatever being on it from the factory?

katz in boots
10-14-2008, 03:22 AM
Oh My!

Well, I have done it on washed velvet. I usually wash & tumble dry any stretch fabric prior to use in case of shrinkage.
I do hang them, cos I have added stones front & back.

I certainly haven't tried stretching the fabric while sticking them on, though I doubt this would make a difference as one of the dresses had a loose overskirt, the other lost stones equally from the skirt and bodice, and my dresses are all custom made by me to fit me.

Using the applicator, I haven't had a lot of success. Don't know if it's cos it's an American one with adapter for Australian power source. I have waited until the glue starts to bubble. The stones usually either get stuck in the tip & won't come out, or the edge of the applicatior tip burns the fabric around the stone when I apply it.
I also have quite a tremor, so applying with the cupped tips is a bit risky for me. So I have usually ended up placing the stone on the fabric then using the flat tip applicator to melt the glue on.

I have tried glues too, but they peel off just as easily. And all this happens when the dress has been stoned up to a week before wearing.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!

jenlyon60
10-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Some of these type of issues is why I prefer to use "normal" glue and hand-set stones rather than use hot-fix.

With a bit of practice, it's possible to hand-set a large quantity of stones fairly quickly. Especially since glues such as Gem-Tac dry slow enough that one can put down 10 or 15 drops of glue then go back and set the stones on the glue spots.

sk8tmum
10-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Oh My!

Using the applicator, I haven't had a lot of success. Don't know if it's cos it's an American one with adapter for Australian power source. I have waited until the glue starts to bubble. The stones usually either get stuck in the tip & won't come out, or the edge of the applicatior tip burns the fabric around the stone when I apply it.
I also have quite a tremor, so applying with the cupped tips is a bit risky for me. So I have usually ended up placing the stone on the fabric then using the flat tip applicator to melt the glue on.

The problem is likely the use of the flat tip applicator. I've tried that when I've had one out of the normal size, or ones that are differently shaped, and I generally have to remelt a couple of times. Try putting them on; 24 hours later, taking a fingernail and seeing if they are loose or not. If they are, then re-melt them again. On a few pear shaped ones, it took a few tries.

Me, I hate glue and like hotfix, so I stick with what works for me.

If they stick on the applicator: two things work. First, clean the applicator carefully to make sure no residual glue is there. Second (probably won't work if you have a tremor, because it's fiddly) - I slide a pin with a heat safe head into the slot on the applicator and press down while lifting the applicator. Quite slick, and it prevents slippage.

sk8_mom
10-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I use a small block of wood to press down on the stones right after applying them when working on velvet, this helps to force the glue down into the fibers. Don't press too hard or the glue will spread beyond the crystal.

Keeping the applicator clean and using a pin to pry out the occasional stuck stone work great for me also.

There is another way to use hot fix stones - but I have not tried it so I can't vouch for it - but maybe someone else has?

I have heard that you can use a small sandwich type griddle iron and put your stones on it right side up to melt the glue. Then you take tweezers and pick up the stones one at a time and place on the fabric. Apparently this method is very fast cause you don't have to wait for the glue to melt and you can do many stones all at once. I would think you have to work fast or you could end up with a gluey mess. Since I only do 2-3 dresses a year, its not worth the investment for me.

jenlyon60
10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I have seen this method used. I have not tried it (as I said, I tend to stick to "normal glue" and hand-setting).

Sessy
10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
I use a different technique all together. I put the stones on the surface and then a small handkerchief over them and then I press the tip of a flattening iron on top of it pressing HARD, and count to 10, then remove the iron. Then I wait for the stones to cool down to body temperature, remove the handkerchief and go on to the next area. If you remove the handkerchief before they've cooled down you're gonna take them off the surface again. Sometimes the handkerchief kinda gets stuck but you can carefully tug it off without tugging off the stone or damaging the fabric.
With this method the stone "eats" itself into the velvet and there's just no way it's coming out after that. The very fibers get soaked through with the glue.

Careful not to touch the fabric around the stone (or it might melt in the case of the more luxurious fluffy types of velvet) and, put a sheet of paper underneath the fabric you're glueing it to (so inside the dress for example) to separate it from all other fabrics, else you'll glue the dress to the surface underneath (i.e. the front of the dress to the back of the dress).

It takes longer than with an applicator or anything this way but at least they're not moving around anywhere! My hands tremble quite a bit too when doing this (which is weird for someone who paints, but still), so...

At any rate the whole point of using hotfix over glue is that you can WASH your dress. If the stones keep coming off in the laundry, there's no point. Just go back to normal glue.

Skittl1321
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
At any rate the whole point of using hotfix over glue is that you can WASH your dress. If the stones keep coming off in the laundry, there's no point. Just go back to normal glue.

You can wash your dress with normal glue. At least- I've washed my synchro shirt that has stones glued on with E6000 glue.

That's a fantastic idea to use the iron with the hotfix crystals. You can also use an iron with rubber stamps to stamp on velvet- and create gorgeous texture.

Sessy
10-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah but only really carefully, hand wash... You don't really get the really bad sweat out that way, and hotfix can go into the washing machine at 30C... At least the glues my mom's tried in her decades long career as dancer all were pretty worthless in the washing machine department...

You can wash your dress with normal glue. At least- I've washed my synchro shirt that has stones glued on with E6000 glue.

That's a fantastic idea to use the iron with the hotfix crystals. You can also use an iron with rubber stamps to stamp on velvet- and create gorgeous texture.

How does that work?

Skittl1321
10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah but only really carefully, hand wash... You don't really get the really bad sweat out that way, and hotfix can go into the washing machine at 30C... At least the glues my mom's tried in her decades long career as dancer all were pretty worthless in the washing machine department...

How does that work?

Here's a link about stamping on velvet: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_rubber_stamping/article/0,,DIY_13775_2270760,00.html

I've machine washed the glued on crystals- delicate cycle, air dry. Maybe over and over repeated washings would cause it to fall off- but I only wear the costume twice a year.

katz in boots
10-16-2008, 03:00 AM
With a bit of practice, it's possible to hand-set a large quantity of stones fairly quickly. Especially since glues such as Gem-Tac dry slow enough that one can put down 10 or 15 drops of glue then go back and set the stones on the glue spots.

Yes, I read this tip here, and with my shaky hands, it was a god-send. I have used a toothpick to apply dabs of glue and then put the stones onto the glue. Didn't help though, they kept coming off. I press them down, but try not to press them down too hard so the glue doesn't squish out.

I have considered using the iron, but up to now have only spotted stones over the dress, not gone for complex designs, so it seems a bit of overkill for one stone at a time.

I might use the block of wood afterwards technique Sk8mom suggests next time I try it.

The rubber stamping idea looks cool too! Though I can't imagine it showing up particularly well on black velvet.

Thanks everyone for their hints!