View Full Version : Would you want to do Pairs or Ice-Dance with your sibling?

FSWer
10-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Ok people!!!!! I don't think this has ever been asked. But if you could and do just one...would you do Pairs or Dance with your sibling? I'd do Pairs with my sister. As I personally think we'd make a great Pair. She's pretty and were both small. I think we'd look good out there. Ok people....GO!!!!!

Mrs Redboots
10-12-2008, 06:32 AM
My brother doesn't skate; my husband does. It's not actually rocket science.

hanca
10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
My brother doesn't skate, but even if he did, I don't think we would make a good pair. I think I would kill him :halo: (Not really, but I do believe that there would be huge fights on the ice and it wouldn't work. We are both so stubbort :) it must be in the family :lol: ). Although I do get on quite well with him most of times, I don't think skating together would be beneficial for our relationship.

amcnulty
10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
My kids skate together for a "family spotlight". They did it for the first time when my son was only five and I wasn't sure he would go out for a solo. They both seemed to enjoy it. This year my daughter's coach asked her what events she wanted to enter and she asked to do the family spotlight again. I do not think they would enjoy a traditional dance or pairs coupling but at least they enjoy spending time together on the ice.:D

Isk8NYC
10-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Since my big brother has only one shoulder (thanks to cancer surgery) and is on his second heart, I'd say a big "NO THANK YOU!" One or both of us would get seriously injured, lol.

Mel On Ice
10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
I actually gave my sister my Reidells when I got my customs because she thought skating sounded like fun. Then she said she didn't want to do it, I asked for the skates back and she still hasn't given 'em back.

I love my sisters, but I skate for me and wouldn't want to share the ice with them.

LilJen
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Ha, well considering I have only sisters I don't think the powers that be would allow it, until they sanction same-sex partners! Only one of my sisters skates, anyhow, and it's hockey all the way, and we have a bitter past history. So. . .no!!

Skittl1321
10-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Ha, well considering I have only sisters I don't think the powers that be would allow it, until they sanction same-sex partners! Only one of my sisters skates, anyhow, and it's hockey all the way, and we have a bitter past history. So. . .no!!

Doesn't ISI have Similiar Pairs competitions?

I wouldn't skate with my sister though, I don't think we'd get along well enough, plus I'd be bitter about having to be the "boy" since I'm bigger.

Clarice
10-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't skate with my sister though, I don't think we'd get along well enough, plus I'd be bitter about having to be the "boy" since I'm bigger.

Good heavens, Jessi, your sister must be tiny, because you're not very big!

I am the oldest of 7. I don't think I'd particularly want to do pairs or dance with any of them, but if there were one more of us we'd have a synchro team!

Skittl1321
10-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Good heavens, Jessi, your sister must be tiny, because you're not very big!

I am the oldest of 7. I don't think I'd particularly want to do pairs or dance with any of them, but if there were one more of us we'd have a synchro team!

She is- she was a gymnast most of her life and a college cheerleader. She was trying to be nice and give me some of her old clothes- J.Crew, Ann Taylor- expensive stuff I don't buy, and I couldn't fit into them. Her remark "I would have sworn they would fit you- those were from when I was 7 months pregnant." Made me feel real great about myself :)

LOL about the family synchro team. Maybe a cousin would join?

jskater49
10-15-2008, 07:26 AM
I wanted to just simply say no but it said my message was too short.

So.

No.

amcnulty
11-25-2008, 07:48 AM
My son and daughter debuted their new family spotlight this weekend! Not a whole lot of "skating", but lots of hamming it up. They had a great time together and people were telling them all day how cute it was. I am happy they enjoy doing it together because there are some days were it seems like they can't get along at all:frus:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXHcfYM88Gw

Thin-Ice
11-25-2008, 09:11 AM
How cute!!! I'm sure they'll love seeing that video when they are in their 30s and 50s and 70s... but maybe not so much when they are teenagers! What a clever idea for a program!

FSWer
11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
My son and daughter debuted their new family spotlight this weekend! Not a whole lot of "skating", but lots of hamming it up. They had a great time together and people were telling them all day how cute it was. I am happy they enjoy doing it together because there are some days were it seems like they can't get along at all:frus:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXHcfYM88Gw

Say,got a pic. of them you can put up? I can't access youtube. BTW. how old are they? Are you saying there a Dance Team? Or are they Pairs?

amcnulty
11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Say,got a pic. of them you can put up? I can't access youtube. BTW. how old are they? Are you saying there a Dance Team? Or are they Pairs?

I haven't figured out how to insert a picture, but they are not pairs or dance. They skate recreationaly with ISI and there is a category for "family spothlight" where there are not any technical requirements and the performance is judged on entertainment value.

FSWer
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I haven't figured out how to insert a picture, but they are not pairs or dance. They skate recreationaly with ISI and there is a category for "family spothlight" where there are not any technical requirements and the performance is judged on entertainment value.

Say,could someone please explain what that is?

Skittl1321
11-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Family spotlight is an event where the "entertainment value" is judged- not the elements. The only requirement is that everyone in the number is related to each other. It's a fun event- ISI is all about giving everyone the oppotunity to skate and compete.

CoachPA
11-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Say,could someone please explain what that is?

From the ISI's website (http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=events_national_event_descriptions ): The couples spotlight event is "an entertaining spotlight program performed by two skaters using costumes and props." There are levels for low skaters (Pre Alpha-Delta), medium level skaters (FS1-4) and high level skaters (FS5-10).

There's also family spotlights, where "two or more family members can perform an entertaining spotlight routine using costumes & props. If necessary, the event groupings are divided first by number of skaters and then by age groups and/or ability levels."

Lastly, there's solo spotlights, "an entertaining & 'fun' routine that emphasizes the skater’s acting ability and not technical skating skills. There is no score for technical merit in this event."

CoachPA
11-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Also, all spotlight events are divided into three categories:
1. CHARACTER – a famous or easily identifiable character. For instance, The Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5ZQzsxoIU).
2. DRAMATIC – a theatrical performance that sets a mood and evokes an emotional response, like this program (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8jE_hhE4Wo).
3. LIGHT ENTERTAINMENT – an entertaining or light-hearted performance. For example, this "Itsy Bitsy" routine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkR4scxcYgw).

FSWer
11-28-2008, 05:16 PM
From the ISI's website (http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=events_national_event_descriptions ): The couples spotlight event is "an entertaining spotlight program performed by two skaters using costumes and props." There are levels for low skaters (Pre Alpha-Delta), medium level skaters (FS1-4) and high level skaters (FS5-10).

There's also family spotlights, where "two or more family members can perform an entertaining spotlight routine using costumes & props. If necessary, the event groupings are divided first by number of skaters and then by age groups and/or ability levels."

Lastly, there's solo spotlights, "an entertaining & 'fun' routine that emphasizes the skater’s acting ability and not technical skating skills. There is no score for technical merit in this event."

Is it competitive? What moves make up Family Spotlight?

Skittl1321
11-28-2008, 06:14 PM
It is competitive- someone will win 1st, 2nd, 3rd place etc, however groups are usually kept small so everyone gets a placement- as family spotlight is meant to be fun and "everyone's a winner" type event.

Any moves can be used. There are usually restricted moves (no high level jumps, etc), but that might depend on the competition. The elements are not scored though- just the entertainment value. I've seen people doing swizzles beat those doing fancy spins, because their program made use of their music, props, theme better and therefore was a more entertaining event.

I've even seen parents who can barely skate out with their kids who skate well. Or a whole family- parents, kids who skate well, and kids who are still very young and just marching forward and wiggling backward.

CoachPA
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Is it competitive? What moves make up Family Spotlight?

Yes, family spotlight events are competitive. As Skittl1321 said, the program is judged for entertainment value rather than how well the skaters can perform jumps and spins. In other words, the judges focus more on music and choreography, originality and creativity, costume & prop, and judges appeal (defined as "the skater's ability to evoke a positive and pleasing response.")

In that sense, its hard to say what moves make up a family spotlight. Basically, anything goes so long as a skater is entertaining and abides by the time requirements, level restrictions (or not performing higher elements than allowed for a certain level), and prop limitations (as skaters cannot use anything as a prop that could alter the ice suface and make it unsafe for others).