View Full Version : What is your philosophy as a student?

teresa
10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
First off, I "stole" this idea from the coaching thread. Anyhow, as a student what is your philosophy about skating for YOU. Here is mine.

To always have fun and maintain my love for the sport. To challenge myself, I never want to accept limits on what I can learn. Be a good rinkmate; kind, honest and responsible. I guess my biggest is not to take my skating too seriously, serious but not too serious. I am an adult, I need to carefully plan my time, budget and family priorities.

Share!

teresa

Sessy
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Pure joy. Pure pain. Pure love.

winziped
10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Teresa i share the same philosophy also be friendly and enjoy the time that one be at the rink , be nice ,no be stubborn when the coach say and advice for improve our skating skills ort do things that can annoy to the rest of our rinkmates

black
10-10-2008, 02:58 AM
1. You must work hard, otherwise it is pointless.
2. Do it because you love it, refrain if you do not.

(we're all going different ways; how we get there is the greater part)

sk8lady
10-10-2008, 08:45 AM
1. You must work hard, otherwise it is pointless.
2. Do it because you love it, refrain if you do not.

Mine is about the same--
1. Do what you love, and love what you do.
2. Work hard because there's no point in being half-a@**!!ed about it! :D

Rusty Blades
10-10-2008, 09:14 AM
My "philosophy" is summed up in my "rules" (which are on the front of my rink binder as a reminder):

Dianne's Five Rules of Skating

#1- HAVE FUN!!!

#2 -Do the best I can
but never let it get in the way of Rule #1

#3 - If I blow it, laugh about it
see Rule #1

#4 - There will always be people who are better than I am
no big deal being second (or last) as long as I had fun

#5 - Enjoy myself and let it show
smiles and laughter are infectious

jazzpants
10-10-2008, 09:53 AM
1. The coach is always right!
2. When in doubt, see Rule #1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

jskater49
10-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Trying not to get hurt will usually result in injury.

doubletoe
10-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I guess my philosophy is that you can't always win or "succeed", but you can always be satisfied with the effort you put in and the progress you made. I have limited time and money for skating, so I need to make every practice and lesson count. Mistakes are fine, but only if you learn from them, so my goal is always to walk away with some new insight on something every time I leave the ice.

celticprincess
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Laney's Skating Philosophy:

Try my absolute hardest and make each moment count on the ice
Be kind and supportive to my fellow skaters...hey that mini learn to skater that you always cut in front of could in 8 yrs be the next US Olympian.
Coach is always right...even if she tells me I can land 3 doubles very soon..just smile and go along with it
You only learn when you fall....I must be a terrific learner then:)
Don't think, just do....basicly when it comes to axel and mind games.
Never take skating too seriously...face it I'll never make it to the Olympics..it's alright to fall and laugh about it
When competiting remember skate against yourself....of course placing and medaling is nice..but not everything
Have the time of my life doing something that no one else in my family can do
Presentation is key..so even if you fall, plaster a big smile on your face and enjoy it..unless it's a serious fall:(
Have fun and it's okay to laugh....hey coaches do it all the time to me!\
BIG ONE: Always maintain a love for the sport...If you hate it, try something else..no sense of busting your buns on the ice if you dont even like it.

mikawendy
10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Neat thread idea! My approach is

--Always have fun
--Always try hard (I like that skating brings out the "don't be a quitter" in me)
--Be thankful (for being able to skate; also, appreciate other people's skating)
--Learn something from every lesson and every teacher (in skating and outside of skating, I've always believed in learning something from every teacher I have)

liz_on_ice
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Have fun
Stay fit
Write down what my coaches tell me so I'm not wasting my $$$

black
10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Safety first, politics last and a whole lot of skating inbetween...