View Full Version : Standing Tall or Slouched Over...Practice 10/6 - 10/12/08

jskater49
10-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Yea, anybody that wants to jump in next week and think of a thread name...wont' hurt my feelings...

Standing Tall

I just had a very good practice session today. Worked hard in power....practiced by freestyle that I think is just getting better and better. I think I've really improved by 3 turn into my half flip....I'm very happy with it. Looks like there's only one other adult for freestle in our competition - bronze...I'm going to just make it one group let her beat somebody for her gold medal - but I'm very happy with my program - I'll put it up against a bronze skater. No problem.

I'm also happy with my artistic, worked on cleaning that up...adding little touches. This will be my last time doing it - next I'm going to do Reba McEntire doing "Going to wash that man right out of my hair" Coach already has some funny ideas for it.

Slouched over - only negative thing about my session was that there was no one to play music but both times I played my music fully intending to run out like a banshee to get to my starting place in time, someone volunteered to paly it.

j

black
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
jskater49: One of the skaters at our rink did two versions of his program; one normal and one with a 5/10 second silence gap before the start so he could press play and get in position for the start.

jazzpants
10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm also happy with my artistic, worked on cleaning that up...adding little touches. This will be my last time doing it - next I'm going to do Reba McEntire doing "Going to wash that man right out of my hair" Coach already has some funny ideas for it.Someone at ISI Artistic did that for their artistic too!!! I think it was like a production number or something. KEWL program!!! :P

Rusty Blades
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Standing Tall: Tried out a new rink this afternoon, just 20 minutes from home. They have a huge block of ice Monday's, which is convenient because I get every other Monday off work (which means less time to make up). They have ice from 3 p.m. to 8:30 and I can skate any 2.5 hour block I want so that leaves me time to get home, feed the dog, and get to the rink on working Mondays.

Their sessions are pretty light and virtually deserted by 7 so I had a good workout tonight. Spins and spirals were good, edges were good (as always 8-) )

Slouched: I am still stuck on where to go with my choreography about 1/2 way through, following a RFO spiral and an upright spin. I come out of spins dizzy 8O and need something stable for a few seconds..... Oh well, we'll work on that Wednesday, back with my coach at my regular rink.

jskater49
10-06-2008, 08:47 PM
jskater49: One of the skaters at our rink did two versions of his program; one normal and one with a 5/10 second silence gap before the start so he could press play and get in position for the start.

That is actually a very good idea since there are many days we are without a monitor!

J

singerskates
10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I've made CD's with 5 second delayed starts for practicing too but this year, I've only had to have my programs start closer to where the CD player is so that I can start my own music. Because of this, I now have time to get the program started on time and sometimes, I even get to wait a few seconds in my starting position.

Who says you have to start your program in the center of the rink or down at one of the ends? There's no law to where a program is suppose to start.

singerskates
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Standing Tall:
I am still stuck on where to go with my choreography about 1/2 way through, following a RFO spiral and an upright spin. I come out of spins dizzy 8O and need something stable for a few seconds..... Oh well, we'll work on that Wednesday, back with my coach at my regular rink.

RB, getting dizzy after spinning means that you're spinning faster than you use to do. Give it time and you'll get use to that speed of spinning. Once you get use to that, it's time to speed up your spins again. Keep up the good work!

ibreakhearts66
10-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Standing Tall
-Had a good lesson. We changed my footwork. Naturally, it's harder. I come right out of a combo spin, step forward in twizzles (RFI), then into CCW scotties. I can do the footwork by itself alright, but I haven't been able to try it out of the spin because I can't currently do the spin due to my hamstring.
-Jumps were good in my lesson too. I did 2flips, then 2flip+1loop+2loop and 2flip+2loop.
-I worked on moves for a while and they're coming along nicely. I'm working on the presentation bit, and I think they look nice.
-My coach wants to start putting together my novice programs!! I still have lots of tests to take, obviously, but she's clearly confident that I can pass all of them since she's ready to start on the programs :D Now I have to pick music 8O We both want something that I can identify with and bring character too. She thinks I'd be good with West Side Story, but it's just so overused. I like the intro to "Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding" by Elton John. Idk. I have time, but I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed.

Slouched Over
-Hamstring is still messed up. I did do axels, 2sals and 2toes today, so it's getting better, but I still didn't dare try a camel.
-Idk if I'll ever get part of my footwork down. I go, RBI rocker, RFI mohawk, LBI rocker. I can do the turns, but I just feel like it takes so long.
-Had some scary falls in the beginning of the session. My skate was tied a little too loosely, and I kept coming down HARD on jumps and falling completely over to the inside edge. I'm glad I didn't bust up my knee or leg, because my lower leg was falling totally to the inside while my upper body/thigh were falling to the outside.

But overall, today was good. Jumps were fine once I retied my skates, and moves were good too. Except for when I crashed into the wall :lol: My friend was like "What happened?! I see you, you're standing up, skating, I look down, look back up and you've hit the wall!"

jazzpants
10-07-2008, 02:43 AM
For those of you that don't have a Facebook account (or hasn't friended me yet on there...)

Here is my video from ISI Adult Champs!!! Yes, I know I have to work on those spirals and back crossovers. And yes, I know I'm supposed to have ice coverage too. :frus: (My choreographer is SOOOO gonna KILL me for this!!! 8O )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wKT_qza-5o

Standing tall:
Not much. :(

Slouched Over:
I'm now nursing a slight sprain on my ankle. Foot got caught in a missing brick hole and I took a tumble. Could have been worse too!!! My knee and hip could also have been smashed too. Thank goodness for learning how to fall onto my butt! (One guy saw my fall and thta I was starting to get up. He yells "Stay down! Stay Down!!!" I said "Why?" He said "Sue the city!!! Sue the PANTS off of them!!!" :twisted: :lol: :bow: )

That said, it wasn't enough of a sprain that I stopped skating!!! :twisted: But I was a bit more cautious tonight not to tweak the ankle further. I was tring to follow along with primary coach's new straightline footwork seq. Ummm... WAAAAY too confusing!!! :frus: (But he won't listen to me anyway so... :giveup: )

Mrs Redboots
10-07-2008, 05:33 AM

I have made a copy of our free dance with 10 seconds' of clicks in front of it - I thought, if I just put silence, I'd be forever wondering if it was going to come on or not, but Audacity has an option to "add click track", and you can adjust the timing so it is 1 click per second. Worked well for us.

Standing tall: And so on to the next competition. We ran through our Fiesta Tango and Willow Waltz, and Husband ran through his free programme; then we did our Variation in the hope of having it testable.

Slouched Over: I do wish we'd been able to do our variation in front of the judges - they were all people I know well enough to have asked afterwards if it was testable. Our coach thinks not, but for Level 1? I don't know!

The Fiesta and Willow are very out of practice, and I'm still nervous of them until I get my legs underneath me; however, the Fiesta is already coming-along-nicely. The Willow isn't - as in the Prelim, our hold collapses as soon as we try to turn, and I end up on my toes. The trouble with both dances is that Husband is really good at them solo, and this impacts negatively on his partnering ability in them.

Oh well, we have several weeks!

liz_on_ice
10-07-2008, 08:11 AM
slouched over - everything this morning - spins were wobbly, springs were not wound - I couldn't jump to save my life.

standing tall - the last few minutes of the session I finally started getting some jumps. Upper body is spastic but lower body is starting to do the right thing - I'm getting enough height that I could definitely make it if I could get my arms and shoulders coordinated into the effort. Flip is also just a squeak away. I'm having trouble bringing my arms in to rotate the jump - just cowardice really. Plus burning that many calories is never a wasted morning.

quarkiki2
10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
jazzpants -- Nicely done!

Mrs. Redboots -- sorrya bout the travel situation. I hate being flustered over things like that... Good job anyway!

Thin-Ice
10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
For those of you that don't have a Facebook account (or hasn't friended me yet on there...)

Here is my video from ISI Adult Champs!!! Yes, I know I have to work on those spirals and back crossovers. And yes, I know I'm supposed to have ice coverage too. :frus: (My choreographer is SOOOO gonna KILL me for this!!! 8O )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wKT_qza-5o

Nice job JP.. you must have hidden all the "bad parts" behind the metal posts. I'm really impressed at how much smoother you look... and nice choreography. I can hardly wait to see this program in "real life" -- you ARE doing Skate SF, right?

doubletoe
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
-My coach wants to start putting together my novice programs!! I still have lots of tests to take, obviously, but she's clearly confident that I can pass all of them since she's ready to start on the programs :D Now I have to pick music 8O We both want something that I can identify with and bring character too. She thinks I'd be good with West Side Story, but it's just so overused. I like the intro to "Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding" by Elton John. Idk. I have time, but I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed.

Wow, there's a blast from the past! That's a great music choice, though! Did you think of it yourself?

ibreakhearts66
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, there's a blast from the past! That's a great music choice, though! Did you think of it yourself?

Nope, my dad thought of it. He's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to music. I really, really like it though.

doubletoe
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Nope, my dad thought of it. He's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to music. I really, really like it though.

Funny, there was such a huge generation gap in musical tastes between the baby boomers and their parents (my mom and dad hated rock and even lots of pop music because they thought it was rebellious), but there doesn't seem to be much of a gap--if any--between baby boomers and their kids. I think that's so cool. :)

Mrs Redboots
10-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Standing Tall: Our Variation is definitely coming along when we think what we're doing. And we are beginning to work on our waltz hold.

Slouched over: But oh, I can so not do the first STF in the Willow - I can't find where to step. I know one's supposed to step towards one's partner, but where is he????

Rusty Blades
10-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Back to my home rink today, the glassy smooth deserted ice ..... oh the hardship! :roll:

Slouched: Only did 45 minutes this morning. After 1.5 hours Monday and with a choreography session tomorrow, I had to leave a little for my coach.

Standing Tall: Some of my upright spins have really come together. I used to be lucky to get 3 revolutions - now, if I hit it right, I can hold the spin until it runs out of steam - not even sure how many revolutions :mrgreen:

Last January I was getting somewhere in the neighbourhood of a sit spin - that went away in February and hadn't been see since. It seems that is coming back now - still not low enough to count but recognizable as an "attempted sit" :mrgreen:

Have hit a few Waltz jumps well - that's also something that disappeared last winter :??

Best Of All: My knees are fine! I guess the physiotherapist was right - just needed to build up those muscles 8-) Still skating 'way down in the knees' and my knees aren't bothering me (aside from the normal fatigue of a strenuous workout)!

Skittl1321
10-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Standing Tall Did some nice salchows yesterday. Well, at least my group coach told me they were nice. I still feel like I'm going nowhere. I really worked on entering with more speed, but it's still not much speed.

Also managed to cross my foot on the backspin almost immediatly (no 14 minute warm up this time!) Now my problem- I have to spin forever once I get started, because I can't exit this spin!!!

I also got a fantastic compliment from the adults I teach- they really like my class and my teaching style. It made me feel very good. One is moving to Adult 3, which I will still teach, but the skate director will come when she starts back crossovers- that's not a move I'm comfortable teaching, since not only are mine not good (in a weight shift point of view), but I don't understand what it is I'm doing wrong. My mohawks aren't perfect, but I know why- so I can teach that because I can explain what they should be. Since I had already done the test for the adults last week, we had "fun day" and did spirals, and two foot spins, and pivots and they did great.

Slouched Over
Crash pads came in the mail- and I'm doubtful they'll make much of a difference. (I tried falling on the kitchen floor...) Maybe on the tailbone it will help, but on the hips, it seems to feel the same. I was also suprised at the weak construction, since they cost so much money. There are openings on the inside (I presume to take the pads out for laundering) and they are just cut- but the opening isn't finish. As someone who sews, that is really shocking to leave it unfinished like that, even if lycra doesn't ravel, for $70 it just looks cheap. But I promised my coach I would launch my waltz jump across the ice- and I WANT big jumps, so I'm going to do it. I'm tired of stupid weeny jumps.

I taped some laybacks and sit spins, but then I didn't turn the camera off and the batteries ran out on the way home, so it deleted the videos :( I really want to know what my laybacks look like (probably nothing like a layback...)

jskater49
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I had another good day today. We've changed my lessons to 5:45 am Wednesdays because that works better for both of us. THe way it was I would have Moves class and a lesson on Friday am and no time to practice, this gives me a chance to practice as well as have a lesson.

Coach is very happy with my Artistic. In fact, she doesn't want me to retire it. She really likes it. She was impressed with a change I made - toward the end I skate down kicking out to the side and marching - I changed it so I do halfway going forward and half going backward. I think it looks kind of funny with me marching backward.

And my freestyle went well too. I'm actually getting off the ground with my jumps

Slouching - 5 minutes left for moves. I chose back 3 turns which I'm still doing on two feet. We just worked on trying to get up on my heels. I don't like that feeling one bit.

j

Isk8NYC
10-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Gak. I really don't like the 1/2" ROH - all my turns are skidding, even my spin entrances. Now I remember why I switched to 3/8" in the first place. Guess I'll go back to it next sharpening.

MITF were good - the spiral patterns are okay except that first inside spiral. When I step into it, I feel like I'm about to crash, lol. I really like the 5-step mohawk sequence - I'm stomping all over the place on the mohawks, but it's a bouncy little step sequence.

Did a lot of spreadeagles today - including a few with the charming young guy I ice dance (badly) with, hahaha.

Jumps were okay; still struggling along, but my takeoffs are much better and I've got some hang time. If I could just get the landings clean again...

Spins were AWFUL. It's the skidded entries - I just can't hook or center the spin. Only my faithful sit spin was decent, but even that rocked a bit.

The highlight: actually skating parts of a program to loudspeaker music. Talk about a good laugh...

Ah well, there's always 6am tomorrow. *shudders*

singerskates
10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Slouching Over: Today was the first day I made it to the rink---had sinus headache that left me with the chills on Monday and Tuesday.

Can't remember the steps for the second half of the waltzing 3's or the end steps. Need to bring a printout to the rink of the waltzing 3's and waltzing mohawks so I learn where the steps go.

Didn't practice loop jump or lutz.

No lesson today because my coach wasn't there.

Standing Tall:

A matter a fact I had the whole rink to myself.

Worked on landing on my toe pick with my waltz, salchow, toe and combos with these jumps. It took a while but I got the top pick to hit the ice first on these. This made my landings light and quite sounding even through I had the same height as when I was landing in the middle of my blade. Now I have to work on getting the loop, flip and lutz to do the same.

Isk8NYC
10-09-2008, 09:04 AM
My kiddos are going to skate in a Basic Skills comp next month. That means a whirlwind of music, dresses, etc. etc. I love preparing for competitions. :)

I spent my ice time this morning basically goofing around and having some fun. I practiced MITF, brackets and twizzles (which are getting better all the time) but my heart and feet weren't in it.

Rusty Blades
10-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Slouched: Slept in 1-1/2 hours! PANIC!!! Had choreography session planned, new program to debut in 6 weeks! PANIC!!! Left the house 40 minutes late (I think I fed the dog???) PANIC!!! Made up 30 minutes by the time I got to the Tim Horton's (good thing there is no radar on the back roads in the middle of the night!!!) and got to the rink 10 minutes late. Did an abreviated warm-up/stretch and was on the ice 5 minutes later than normal (which was still 10 minutes before the session officially starts!)

Slouched: With a MAJOR competition this weekend my normally deserted 7 a.m. session was BUSY! Lots of skaters, lots of coaches, and music so LOUD I couldn't hear my MP3 player with earbuds unless I clamped my hands over my ears! Didn't get much choreography done before coach arrived at 7:30. Even then it was hard to do much but.....

Standing Tall: ... we did get a couple more segments tentatively scripted (pending review with the music), so at worst there is only 20 seconds of choreography missing.

Standing Tall: I am glad skating is done for this week - I am STIFF!

liz_on_ice
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
standing tall - coach pronounced my B03s entirely acceptable and started me on BI3s. He also said my proto-sitspin isn't nearly as bad as I think.

slouched over - having trouble keeping my shoulders and hips square on backspin and loop entry, to detrement of both.

looplover
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Standing Tall: I'm putting my spin combo in both categories today. The good: I'm actually doing some kind of camel/sit/back spin now, which is awesome - tons of progress from where I was before. I'm losing my fear of the camel so that's helping me get into it quickly. I think it'll end up being pretty good in a couple of months. Also did two loops today at fast speed (had to force myself to just go for it) and I swear the second one felt like it could have been a double. Vastly improved opening pose.

Slouched Over: It was the tale of the tape! Was videotaped today and issues with the spin combo that I didn't like: free leg was not quite parallel to the ice, sit spin not low enough, and I did a really bizarre arm position going into the back spin. Still optimistic...apparently after the camel I'm raising my upper body for some strange reason instead of keeping it as is and dropping into the sit.

Didn't attempt flip today. Most likely next week when it comes up in new choreography but I'm going to try it before then.

Also am breaking at the waist too much during crossovers!

LilJen
10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Slouching: Ugh, another toepick-flying splat at this morning's session, and I'm still just whipped from being sick, so little energy. Had to vent a few tears of frustration. I still can't spin. I'm sooooo hoping that a good sharpening will fix some of the stuff I've been struggling with. . . (yeah, a gal can dream, right?) Coach said I need to work on my crossovers--i mentioned that, dang, I don't seem to get much power on the bronze power XOs and XOs to back edges. Yeah, it would HELP if I worked on my crossovers (haven't!!!).
Standing Tall: 5-step mohawk & back XOs to outside edge were pronounced "pretty good" by coach after some tweaking. This is good. I haven't been working on these very long and I was skating pretty tentatively this morning.

dbny
10-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Slouching:
I have just lost all motivation and confidence! Skated twice this week and accomplished pretty much nothing because I couldn't get myself to do much. In my lesson tomorrow, I'm going to ask my coach to just get me moving. Maybe start with F & B power XO's, which I like, and then some three turn patterns, like the adult pre-bronze threes, the waltz-8, and the power threes.

Standing Tall:
Not really, but better than everything else - did L side of power threes on the line both times I skated this week, and am finding I can manage the choctaw without contorting myself. Now if I can just ramp up the speed again.

Morgail
10-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Slouching:

-axel...it's not really bad, but I'm reaching that point where I really want it to get better, just a tiny, itty, bitty, bit closer to being an actual axel and less of a waltz-backspinny thing.

-forgot to practice brackets...oops.

Standing Tall:

-Combo jumps! I did some really nice (for me) loop-loops, flip-loops and lutz-loops.

-Gold 3-turn pattern was decent today.

-Back camel is getting so much better. I've been working on it a lot since I've had to lay off the forward camels and flying camels.

RachelSk8er
10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Standing tall: Had a good lesson on the Blues today. Solo is getting strong, and partnering is getting more comfortable. Hoping to put this test out in November. Coach and I also started going through my silver free and adding more bells/whistles/flair. I really like the change he made to the transition from my lutz toe to my layback and some things he did to the very beginning (even though I look/feel like a fool doing them now, they'll get better after working on it tomorrow).

Spins generally centering much better :) Amazing how much easier it is to do a layback and get good position when you're not traveling, eh?

Lutzes getting better, the changes we made are feeling less awkward. I've realized if I just think of it as a LBO counter (which is all a lutz really is), I stay on the correct edge and down in my L knee.

Sort of slouched over:Only tried a few axels but they were still two-footed and I'm not over my R side enough. Will work on them more tomorrow when I have 2 hrs.

Loops also not as good today as they were last Sat after making a few adjustments, but my R knee was really bugging me on the takeoff when I was doing them today (twisted it when I tripped and fell down the stairs earlier this week) so I'm not too worried that they weren't good. That and back sits are the only thing that bothered it today, though, so I'm also not taking the lousiness of my sit-change-sit too seriously. Landing jumps on my R leg didn't bother my knee at all.

Tomorrow morning should be a good session, looking forward to getting a lot of work done. The kids at regionals won't be there, and a lot of the coaches will be gone too.

jskater49
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Standing tall

Enjoyed by Moves class - started out with forward crossovers - only one other girl in the class- juv skater and we both got the same scolding about leaning forward and being twisted. So I tried to keep my upper body totally upright and smooth and I got a "MUCH BETTER!" in return. Then on to backward and I got another "Oh those are SO SO improved!" - the disturbing thing is that I don't notice any difference.

Then my version of double 3s - outside forward three turn, two foot backward turn and so on with semi circles down the rink. I'm getting better at getting on my heels and not scrapping so much with the backward turns.

Next - powerpulls --slouching here - coach's scold "Ahem. Your free leg is NOT a rudder!" I bend my knees really well with two foot saloms but one foot and my leg stiffens up so first she had me just put most of my weight on one foot and gradually lift the free leg. Then she had me just concentrate on the knee action, not even thinking about edges...finally she said I could try leaning. Otherwise all I think about is trying to change edges which leads to the wild rudder free leg.

Then swing rolls -- gotta work on not leaning forward when I change feet.

I just mostly continued working on moves for the rest of my practice, practiced my jumps. Tried to work a little on my spin entry but that just is not getting any better.

j

Bill_S
10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Slouching:
I attended last afternoon's freestyle session, but I have this distinct feeling that I'm headed downhill. First, my arthritis (toes) flared up so much that I had to quit skating for a while. I found my emergency bottle of Aleve tablets and downed one.

In few minutes, I was back on the ice, but skills that I once had down pat are troubling me. In particular, LBI3s, which I've tested and subsequently improved greatly, have gone downhill. I botched the practice of Gold double-3 patterns enough that I'm worried about how much skill I can retain over the off-ice months.

More Slouching:
The woman who fell last week and hit her head on the ice is still not out of the woods. The hospital kept her two nights. She's home now, but still can't drive or walk without excessive vertigo. She suffered acute concussion.

Together with one other adult here, she's my "skating buddy", but after the accident she has stated that she may have to give up skating. This is bad news. She was good at motivating me to skate better, and was very active in the skating community here. Without her, it's going to be very different around here.

dbny
10-10-2008, 06:18 PM
The woman who fell last week and hit her head on the ice is still not out of the woods. The hospital kept her two nights. She's home now, but still can't drive or walk without excessive vertigo. She suffered acute concussion.

Together with one other adult here, she's my "skating buddy", but after the accident she has stated that she may have to give up skating. This is bad news. She was good at motivating me to skate better, and was very active in the skating community here. Without her, it's going to be very different around here.

I hope she fully recovers. Would she possibly skate again with a helmet? I know one adult who did that rather than quit after a few concussions.

Standing Tall:
At last, I feel I'm getting some confidence back. Definitely spurred by Jazzpants wanting to see what I'm working on this Tues at our NY meet-up! Managed to start doing the Adult pre-Bronze three turn pattern again and also power threes, both in my lesson. After the lesson, did a bit of the 5 step mohawk just to face my fears and prove to myself that I can still do LFI mohawks. Also did a few CW one foot spins, and very nicely too! Did a little more work on CW backspin. I find the spin spot so fast and so securely going CW, but still worried that it's my R foot and not the direction. If I can get the backspin going CW, that will prove the whole direction thing is the real issue.

Slouching:
Some private schools had a half day today, and the rink had an exceptionally clueless bunch of kids. I was nearly creamed twice in my lesson by kids abruptly cutting across the ice and behind me. I think it scares my coach more than me, but it sure doesn't help!

sk8lady
10-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Standing Tall: Still able to do loop cleanly one out of every 3 tries or so. :D I really didn't think I'd ever get this jump so I'm pretty happy with that!!!!! What the heck, a few MORE exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, my coach had me raise my free leg a little higher on the backspin--what a difference! Suddenly they're getting centered and three complete revolutions!!! I showed her my sit-backsit and she was shocked, having never seen it before since I was doing freestyle with my other coach till the rink made a rule against figure skaters (only rule: no jumping or spinning--still okay to play tag, walk on the ice in your shoes, drag people around on the ice in sleds, etc). (Oops--should have put that under Slouching...sorry...), and was really impressed!

Slouching: HATE, HATE, HATE silver moves. Power pulls are sick and wrong. And they hurt my knees. And they should call the 8 step mohawk pattern"the 7 really easy step and one evil twisted mohawk pattern." And there are so many different 3 turns in the 3 turn pattern that I'm winding up spending 15 minutes to 1/2 hour of the hour session just doing various 3 turns. Yesterday I got so sick of them I just went and put my hockey skates on and skated around in them the last 15 minutes of the session. It was better than working on the exceptionally evil BI 3's. Almost anything would be!

dbny
10-11-2008, 08:17 AM
the rink made a rule against figure skaters (only rule: no jumping or spinning--still okay to play tag, walk on the ice in your shoes, drag people around on the ice in sleds, etc).

My rink is currently doing the same thing. There are rules against the other stuff, but they just don't care. This takes a special kind of blindness, or stupidity.

Bill_S
10-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I hope she fully recovers. Would she possibly skate again with a helmet?

I don't know. She won gold in Bronze Ladies at the 2006 Midwestern Adult Sectional Championships in Cleveland, so perhaps her desire to skate will return. If not it will be a shame.

Slouching:
I didn't skate either the Friday afternoon session nor this morning's session. For me, the word should be "slacking" instead of slouching.

Skate@Delaware
10-11-2008, 01:33 PM
This is for yesterday:

Slouching: Found out that the freestyle session actually started at 3:30 instead of 4....my rink is sooooo messed up now! Times keep changing and so do the rates! and when you go to pay, no one is there! And we stayed on until almost 5....hehehe!

Standing Tall: For a friday, session was pretty well empty, only about 5 total. One girl (senior) going through her stuff in lesson so she was everywhere but nice about it and moving fast very good at dodging us! Good thing cause I'm still not fast enough yet!

Worked on forward crossovers on the circle for about 20 minutes and still had problems going clockwise. My back felt really tight which translates to a weakness down my leg (and subsequent numbness). Oh well.

Slouching: Spins. I could spin so much better when I was a bigger girl!!!! Maybe I need to weight down my booty???? Maybe it was just my tightness. Although the backspin sucked too I did one nice one.

Salchows sucked today. Rushed the back edge. Bent my leg. Cr****p!!!!

Standing Tall: TOE-LOOPS STILL ROCK!!!! Yay!!!! I don't work on them too much because they are nice.

Not sure how many more freestyle sessions we will have, and its up in the air about Sunday, since the club lost that one. However, I can go to Easton and skate for 2 hours $12!!!! Some of us might go and carpool. Its a thought.

But our ice is so much nicer now and the rink is actually WARM! I can skate in a tshirt!

Bill S:You know, way back when I hit my head and got a mild concussion, I had bouts of vertigo for about 2 years. I was ok mostly but spinning and climbing stairs and ladders really set me off. I stayed off ladders, was cautious climbing stairs, and during spins would sometimes have to sit down (the other skaters knew this and would sometimes help me to the sides). I had an MRI which didn't show any damage. She will get used to it but will have to build her courage back up-that will be the real battle!

Skittl1321
10-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Standing Tall Skating in general is going well for me. I can't think of anything specific I'm happy about- but I feel like I'm improving. Synchro was fun this week, which is good since I was frustrated with it for awhile. My private lesson was excellent- I can put my foot down behind me in the back cross rolls. (Question: Is there a difference between a cross roll and a cross stroke? My coach uses them interchangeably, and I'm wondering what I need to be doing for Silver Moves). And I've started jumping again in practice. I hadn't done that in months. yay for padded shorts.

Slouching My sit spin (grainy video uploaded to youtube today) doesn't sit at all! My silver moves are going to take years. And despite my best efforts to go into jumps with more speed, I'm not sure I really am. My jumps are really really bad.

celticprincess
10-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Well I must say today was a much better practice than last week. Definatly got alot done and worked hard.

Standing Tall:
-My bracket, double three, aerial barriels, and twizzle combo worked out really really nice. I put it in my 'Lady In The Water' programme.
-Jumps went pretty well today..landed all singles at least five times.
-Did a string of 4 loops 8-)
-2sal attempts are getting there, I definately have the rotation..just landing on one foot isn't quite happening yet. :roll:
-I pulled off two very nice lutzes and that was all I needed as with the flip as well. Its offically back and Im really glad about it.
-Im getting better with keeping my leg straight with my sit spin..yes it's still gradual and in the middle of the spin, but it's crossing over and actually gets in position...it just takes alittle slower than usual. Coming out of a camel..my sit spins tend to behave very well.
-Laybacks were actually working today...however do not look directly at the lights when spinning..you can get really dizzy.
-Ran my 'Evolution' programme twice..once with props and the other without. I must say that the run without props actually was soooooo much better than the first. I managed to get everything in and keep up with the music.:roll:
-Started to choreograph 'Lady In the Water' which is an artistic programme without any jumps except for maybe a split or stag..but no major jumps. Basicly it's the portrayal of a doll on a music box. Its really fun so far. :)

Standing with semi bad posture:
-Axel attempts...Im getting the revolution and the take off, but I land on the wrong foot. It does not want to cooperate! Yes it's soo close that I could taste it, but it's missing the landing...I think thats important right?
-Camel spins...they were on and off. I had a couple good ones and a couple bad ones. I still don't like that spin.:x

Slouching::
-Not too much really..I mean I had my oh so pretty falls: like this one where I was taking off for an axel and did the old pretend to take off, but the feet dont want to leave the ice. Lovely right?
-And then I was going into a layback, got sort of twisted(not sure how) and fell. Another coach who was giving a lesson saw me and started laughing. :frus:
-A couple others involving me not landing my axel, getting really dizzy on a spin and sit spins where my leg tend to jump up in the middle of it. But nothing too bad. Oh also I have a small gouge in my right leg because I was doing a loop where I was holding my left leg with my left hand...another signature move...however my left leg sort of kicked my right and ouch.
-One other pretty fall, this involved me doing a loop jump. I got alot of speed and jumped up right? Well as I was landing my free leg swung around trying for another time causing me to go right onto my butt. Could have done a double, but that was not my intention. I was like 8O :lol:
-One other thing and it's not really skating related...it involves a very sharp pain in my lower stomach..I mean REALLY sharp pain. I mean yes it is my monthly surprise, but these pains are NOWHERE near the minor cramps I get. So I almost didn't come to skating because it hurt so bad. Glad I did though.

dbny
10-11-2008, 06:04 PM
(Question: Is there a difference between a cross roll and a cross stroke? My coach uses them interchangeably, and I'm wondering what I need to be doing for Silver Moves).

No difference. It's just terminology. In the FS/Moves world they are cross strokes, in the Dance world, they are cross rolls.

kander
10-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Slouched over: Had my worst skate ever wednesday night. The curse of Bridgepointe strikes again. I hit my head on the ice, hit the same kid twice, got chewed out by one of the mothers.

Standing Tall: They let me skate for free thursday night. I didn't hit my head.

Mrs Redboots
10-12-2008, 06:35 AM
No difference. It's just terminology. In the FS/Moves world they are cross strokes, in the Dance world, they are cross rolls.

This may be a difference in UK/US terminology here, but I disagree with you! For a cross stroke, you are stepping on to an inside edge; for me, there is no difference between this and a crossover, and/or a progressive run, especially as you really need to push. You stay on the same lobe.

A cross roll, however, pushes on to an outside edge and changes lobe.

As I said, this may be US/UK terminology.

As for me, all slouched over today as the ice was so poor it was well nigh impossible to skate, and I was/am in a bad mood anyway.

Skate@Delaware
10-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, I just now had time to post this!!! Been a busy day for me!
Standing Tall: Hit the ice totally warmed up, since we are down to one-hour sessions and I'm up first I have to be "on" and ready to go.

Slouched over: forward crossovers, and the unsteadiness I have been feeling is from my weight being too far back on my blades. Fixing that by pushing more forward and it feels better but I still feel like I'm tipping forward. Oh well.

Standing tall: as bad as my spins were on Friday, they disappeard and were really nice today-I had a "whatever" attitude and maybe that relaxed my body a bit. I also held the entrance edge longer! Held the "beach ball" and they were good. Did some change foot and they stank but not too bad.

Salchows were better, once I held that back edge.

Loop is ok, I've been given "loops should be done at every practice session" advice....

ok.

dbny
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
This may be a difference in UK/US terminology here, but I disagree with you! For a cross stroke, you are stepping on to an inside edge; for me, there is no difference between this and a crossover, and/or a progressive run, especially as you really need to push. You stay on the same lobe.

A cross roll, however, pushes on to an outside edge and changes lobe.

As I said, this may be US/UK terminology.

Yes, that is definitely a difference between UK vs US terminology. In US, both cross roll and cross stroke are from O to O edge, with an O edge push and change lobe each time.

jazzpants
10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Slouched over: Had my worst skate ever wednesday night. The curse of Bridgepointe strikes again. I hit my head on the ice, hit the same kid twice, got chewed out by one of the mothers.SHEESH!!! Maybe I should get 'ya a helmet for Christmas for 'ya... :lol: :P

Sorry to hear about your bad skating night. I HATE skating at BP!!! I only will skate there if I don't have a choice in the matter... :frus:

Standing Tall:
Looking forward to tomorrow's first of this trip's meetup at "the Hack" and having those YUMMY HAMBURGERS at White Manna!!! YUM YUM!!! :yum: Also, looking forward to meeting up with dbny and whoever else on the second meetup at Aviator!!! :bow:

If you want details of when the meetup is and where, check out the NYC Meetup thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=376893#post376893)!!! I look forward to meeting y'all!!! :bow:

Slouched Over:
Sadly I won't have any coaching over at the Hack. Seems most of the skaters will be at Jamestown, NY for Regionals. :cry: Moves Guru is there... and apparently, so is my NYC coach too!!! :frus: (It's okay! I wasn't planning on having coaching while visiting the Hack... More just looking forward to meeting up with my fellow skaters on this board who can make the Hack on this trip and having that fantastic burger!!! :mrgreen: )