View Full Version : What inspired you to compete?

FSWer
10-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Say I was wondering what inspired all our competitiors here to begin to compete?

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Right now - we are leaving for Oxford in half an hour - I wish the heck I knew! Anybody know why I thought this was a good idea????

samba
10-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Right now - we are leaving for Oxford in half an hour - I wish the heck I knew! Anybody know why I thought this was a good idea????

Two words - Adrenalin Junkie!!! Good Luck Annabel!!!

Clarice
10-05-2008, 10:45 AM

Because it feels so good when it's over? Good luck and have fun!

Rusty Blades
10-05-2008, 03:31 PM
... what inspired ...(you)... to compete?

Insanity? A masochistic streak?

I never competed as a kid (though I would have liked to) - didn't have the talent or the resources, and I wouldn't have had a prayer of getting beyond the first step on the competitive ladder.

When I started skating again at 56, after 36 years away, I started with the intention of getting some exercise and meeting people. What I met was a group of Canadian adult competitive skaters (online) who tried to talk me in to going to Nationals. "But I can't skate!" I protested and they said, "We don't care if you just skate around the rink with your purse on your arm - come anyway!"

I am the kind of person that likes objectives, goals - they keep me focused. I am also a sucker for a challenge and the more difficult it is, the more I can 'sink my teeth into it' so I decided to shoot for it, which I did last year. I did a bit more than skate around 'with my purse on my arm' but not much more LOL! but I met the greatest, most supportive and encouraging bunch of adults I have ever known and C.A.N. (Canadian Adult Nationals) is now a major part of my life.

I am terribly slow at learning new things, still totally lacking in talent, and skating is hard on the ol' bod' but it has become part of my life because it is challenging and difficult but it has set a long term goal - to go back to Nationals every year and be a little better than the year before. I hope to keep skating and competing until they take the blades off my walker!