View Full Version : Improv?

isakswings
10-04-2008, 11:12 AM
The competition dd will be in next month has an improv/interpertive catagory. Dd's coach has mentioned it and I get the feeling she thinks it might be good to enter dd into it. It's comepletly up to us, but what do you all think? Can I some how practice this with dd? I know they play unheard music for her and then she has to make up her own routine on the spot. I don't know how she would do if she feels unprepared. Any thoughts?

Skittl1321
10-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I can't answer this from the view of a parent or a coach, but as a skater. (Since the only thing I coach is adults and tots).

Anyway, in my first ISI competition this was one of the events I entered, and without a doubt my favorite event.

Ways to practice- make up routines to any music that is on the rink (so to other peoples music), or bring some CDs with different styles and ask your daughter to skate to them.

Some things to have her think about: look confident, don't forget the arms, know when the music ends and stop there, use both sides of the rink (don't stay in one place), have footwork/spirals, spins, and jumps not just repeating the same thing over and over.

Another good thing to practice is "sections" that you can do to different tempos. I knew that if the music was slow I would do a double 3 turn to a side toe hop, if the music was fast I wanted to just do alternating mohawks. I also prepared myself to do a specific jump combination, so I didn't have to think of one that day. A little bit of graceful gliding to think works out well if you make use of those arms- it doesn't look at all like you can't decide what to do next, if you've practiced it.

I know there are some people who have a program that they do everytime, fast or slow, but I think that takes out the spirit of the event, however, having an idea of what you will do, or at least well categorizing what is ready for a program and what is not, is the best way to prepare. I definetly reminded myself "backspin is not ready" because I practice it everyday, but it's NOT ready. Since I was making it up as I went along, I didn't want to find myself entering it!!

FigureSk8Dad
10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I have to agree with everything that Jessi posted. But most of all, tell her to feel the music and have fun with it. It's kind of like dancing with skating elements thrown in.

My dd competed in her first Interp last July. The music was from a theater performance and I thought there was no way she could put together a routine for that. Well, I was wrong and she did good. It's nice to be wrong sometimes.

Do as Jessi suggested. Have her do Interp when other skaters play their music. A public skate is also another great way to practice if they allow figure skating. And by all means, encourage her to be very expressive or animated. Then it won't appear as if she is just cranking out elements that she had been taught.

As for you, Isakswings, don't think of this event as a competition. Unlike the other events, this is the one where you won't have to count her steps and revolutions or worry about her landing a jump. You can sit back, relax and enjoy the beauty of your dd's skating.

isakswings
10-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I know there are some people who have a program that they do everytime, fast or slow, but I think that takes out the spirit of the event, however, having an idea of what you will do, or at least well categorizing what is ready for a program and what is not, is the best way to prepare. I definetly reminded myself "backspin is not ready" because I practice it everyday, but it's NOT ready. Since I was making it up as I went along, I didn't want to find myself entering it!!

Thanks, Jessi! I agree, I would not want her to have a program ready to use for an Improv event. I do think it would be good for her to get used to the possibility of having to improvise in a program should she forget something or begin to end early. In her last prformance, she had to improvise and throw in an element because she would have ended before the music stopped! She threw in a lunge and it went well with her music and she mangaed to make it look like it was supposed to be a part of her program. Maybe if I remind her of how well she did doing that, she might be interested in trying this? I don't know! I think she could do well if she went out there and just ENJOYED it and didn't worry about anything.

I have to agree with everything that Jessi posted. But most of all, tell her to feel the music and have fun with it. It's kind of like dancing with skating elements thrown in.

As for you, Isakswings, don't think of this event as a competition. Unlike the other events, this is the one where you won't have to count her steps and revolutions or worry about her landing a jump. You can sit back, relax and enjoy the beauty of your dd's skating.

That is very true! I definately won't have to count her steps or worry about jumps or pulling in during her spins. :-) Anyway...thanks! I have to turn the application in next week, so I need to talk to her and see what she would like to do. If she would like to enter that event, I think I will let her. If she isn't comfortable with it, I think we'll pass this time. Thanks again!

dak_rbb
10-05-2008, 04:45 PM
My dd loves this event. She’s done two now—the first when she was 6 and this summer just after she turned 7. She gets to do whatever she wants out on the ice in front of everybody, wear another dress and get another trophy (well so far anyway) all without spending weeks preparing a program. Before the first time, she did practice a bit—I asked her to come up with nice little combinations of spirals, footwork, etc. and she would also improvise a complete program to whatever music came on next at least once per session. Now I don’t worry about it. However anytime when music she really loves comes on at the rink, she loves to skate to it—so I guess that’s practice too.

I did worry about what would happen if she got music she didn’t like but at both comps the music selected was not her thing at all and she still did nicely and had fun. It’s also fun to watch too (and much less stressful than a freeskate!).

isakswings
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
My dd loves this event. She’s done two now—the first when she was 6 and this summer just after she turned 7. She gets to do whatever she wants out on the ice in front of everybody, wear another dress and get another trophy (well so far anyway) all without spending weeks preparing a program. Before the first time, she did practice a bit—I asked her to come up with nice little combinations of spirals, footwork, etc. and she would also improvise a complete program to whatever music came on next at least once per session. Now I don’t worry about it. However anytime when music she really loves comes on at the rink, she loves to skate to it—so I guess that’s practice too.

I did worry about what would happen if she got music she didn’t like but at both comps the music selected was not her thing at all and she still did nicely and had fun. It’s also fun to watch too (and much less stressful than a freeskate!).

Thanks. I will have to talk with dd and see if this is something she'd be interested in trying. It can't hurt and it is just for fun! Yes, they can win a medal, but overall the main purpose of any competition should be fun. :-) Not that it always feels like that, but I do think it is important for them to understand that it isn't always about winning too. Anyway...thanks again for the feedback.

Angie

luckeylasvegas
10-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Make sure you ask your DD if she would like to do it. My DD LOVES it and will do interp. any chance she gets. Some of the things she comes up with are quite funny. One of her friends however can't stand it and told their coach "don't ever do that to me again! :lol:

The best advice I can give is have fun and know when the music ends. It also helps if your not first.

isakswings
10-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Make sure you ask your DD if she would like to do it. My DD LOVES it and will do interp. any chance she gets. Some of the things she comes up with are quite funny. One of her friends however can't stand it and told their coach "don't ever do that to me again! :lol:

The best advice I can give is have fun and know when the music ends. It also helps if your not first.

Thanks! I talked to her and she said she wants to try it! This will be her 3rd competition. I don't know what she'll think of it, but we're going to try and let her practice when we take her to skate. Hopefully that will help her be more confident! Thanks again!

Angie