View Full Version : Split jumps

Scarlett
09-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I am attempting to do a split jump in my program but it is so sad and pitiful. Any tips on how to do one that actually a) looks like I left the ice and b) hangs in the air and most importantly c)splits.

Pgh.Coach
09-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Achieving height is a biggie. That'll give you enough time to "hang in the air" and hit that full split position.

doubletoe
09-30-2008, 12:25 PM
It's all about the continuous motion of the left foot as you pull back, take off and turn forward. You start on a LBI edge just like a flip takeoff, you reach back, pick and pull back, but the pull back continues on one continuous arc instead of stopping when the skating foot reaches the picking foot. You want the left foot to continue past the picking foot without stopping, and as it passes the picking foot, in one smooth motion the entire left side--both the left arm and left leg-- opens out to face the direction of travel. Getting that smooth sweeping motion from the takeoff edge will help split the front leg for you and give you forward momentum. Now reach forward with that leg as though you're trying to jump over a huge puddle, and pull both legs up at the same time (you may have to pull up really hard on the back leg to get it even with the front). And of course the better your split off ice, the easier it will be to get a good split on your split jump, so left hamstring and right hip flexor stretches are a must.

ibreakhearts66
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBc61UB5gU) a slow motion video of my split jump (still processing as I post this, but it should be up shortly). I'm not very good at articulating what I do, but hopefully you can get an idea.

One big thing is to lift from your chest. Also, what I do (not sure if this is proper "technique") is bring my feet together THEN lift and split.

stacyf419
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
In the case of the left leg being the leading leg, is that also the landing foot? I mean that quick tap before the stroke out - so it would be a quick left tap then onto the right.

doubletoe
09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
In the case of the left leg being the leading leg, is that also the landing foot? I mean that quick tap before the stroke out - so it would be a quick left tap then onto the right.

Yes, just like the half flip (or bunny hop), you land forward on the toepick of the leading foot and use it to push off forward onto the other foot.

stacyf419
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks Doubletoe! :bow:

Scarlett
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks...Will give it a try when I get back on the ice.

Anything I can do off-ice to help?

FlyAndCrash
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Have you ever seen dancers or cheerleaders or sometimes gymnasts do russians (at least, that was what we dancers called them... I think). It's like a split jump, only you jump straight up from a stand-still, get in the split position, and lande with your feet together again. It really helps you develope the muscles needed for a split jump and the quick reflexes.

Kind of like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYRvpWNE1A