View Full Version : Breakfast for an early morning skate

jskater49
09-28-2008, 06:46 PM
So I get up at 4 am to skate 3 days a week. I am not a breakfast person but I'm smart enough to know I have to eat --especially when one of those 6 am sessions is a power class!

I had settled into the habit of toast and peanut butter with a glass of milk until I discovered cashew butter which I like better than peanut butter. For somone who likes to eat as much as I do, this was very sad because I didn't like and would force myself to eat this.

Well the other night I made more french toast than I could eat so I put some in the fridge. One morning I popped that baby in the toaster, put a little cashew butter on that and not only did I enjoy eating that a lot more....i was not STARVING 4 hours later as I drove home from skating, fighitng the temptation (a fight sometimes lost) to get a sausage mc griddle at Mac Donalds.

So tonight I cooked up a bunch of french toast so I will have that on hand and ready to eat for my am sessions.

j

Skittl1321
09-28-2008, 06:55 PM
That's a smart idea. I make a dinner on Sunday that serves as leftovers for lunches for most of the week. It's so easy to have something ready to go.

I can't make myself have breakfast before I skate on Saturdays- though I don't skate as early, nor as long as for you. It's the one day I drink a powerade though, because while I can't eat- my body needs SOME calories, and water doesn't cut it then. I get to go home after 2 1/2 hours though, and then I always make breakfast (usually waffles... mmm).

Strangely enough, while I can't make myself eat before skating on Saturdays I HAVE to have dinner before skating on Tuesdays or I just can't make it. So it's not the food in the stomach thing, so much as the time.

Rusty Blades
09-29-2008, 04:46 AM
You are SO organized! I seldom get to that stage ;)

I to am up by 4 a.m., skate 3 days a week at 7 a.m. (or 6:45, whenever the Zam leaves the ice). I need COFFEE! to skate at 7 and I need something in my tummy so I don't feel queasy from the coffee. It just so happens that there is a 24-hour Tim Horton's on my way to the rink so it's an extra large coffee and a sausage breakfast sandwich on the way. I wouldn't say I am "a regular" but if I am 5 minutes late at the Tim Horton's the staff notice - LOL!

Bill_S
09-29-2008, 04:59 AM
I usually make Scottish oatmeal (with nuts and honey) and drink tea on non-skating mornings.

But time's short on skating mornings so I just eat a single serving of yogurt with nuts (and tea).

Trouble is that I'm famished when I return from skating, but there's no time to eat much. I'll grab an apple to eat just before I leave for the office.

jskater49
09-29-2008, 05:02 AM
You are SO organized! I seldom get to that stage ;)

I to am up by 4 a.m., skate 3 days a week at 7 a.m. (or 6:45, whenever the Zam leaves the ice). I need COFFEE! to skate at 7 and I need something in my tummy so I don't feel queasy from the coffee. It just so happens that there is a 24-hour Tim Horton's on my way to the rink so it's an extra large coffee and a sausage breakfast sandwich on the way. I wouldn't say I am "a regular" but if I am 5 minutes late at the Tim Horton's the staff notice - LOL!

Ugh. The other problem with making myself eat before I skate is I get quesy when I skate, so while I like those sausage sandwhiches AFTER, if I had one of those before....well there'd be trouble already when I bent over to put on my skates. Also just one of those sandwhiches and I've undone all my work on the ice.

And I was organized last night...we'll see how long that lasts....

j

RachelSk8er
09-29-2008, 06:41 AM
I just grab a granola bar and piece of fruit on my way out the door. Then usually a yogurt after I skate.

Scarlett
09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm a breakfast person but for those 6 am sessions. I found that I can drink Ensure on the way to the rink. That way I can get my calories/protein in, it's not too heavy on the stomach, and I don't have to get up any earlier in the morning to cook/eat.

Mrs Redboots
09-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm not a breakfast person either; what works for me is a cup of coffee (black, no sugar, which is taste rather than virtue - I've always preferred it like that for as long as I can remember) and a banana when I get to the rink. Then when I get home I'll usually have something - maybe only a cereal bar, but almost always something.

doubletoe
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately, my stomach doesn't wake up as early as I do, so I don't really eat anything before my 6:30am session. I have a cappuccino in the car on the way to the rink (which wakes me up and also gives me a touch of carbs, protein and sugar). I also have a little fructose drip going on as I skate, since I sip a half juice, half water mixture during practice. I do just fine for one hour, but on Fridays I stay for a second session so I'll eat a banana between the two sessions. I think I would get pretty sick if I tried to skate after eating an egg or sausage anything! 8O

sk8_4fun
09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm not a breakfast person either; what works for me is a cup of coffee (black, no sugar, which is taste rather than virtue - I've always preferred it like that for as long as I can remember) and a banana when I get to the rink. Then when I get home I'll usually have something - maybe only a cereal bar, but almost always something.

SNAP! I'm a black no sugar girl (apart from this week as I'vegiven up caffiene to maximise the effect of the herbal sedative I'm taking to hopefully control my pre-test nerves 8O) I also have a banana as a skate bag snack. If it's too early for breakfast before I leave then I eat a softbake cereal bar on the way to the rink.

jskater49
09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Yea yea, I used to be like you breakfast non-believers...but I have a coach who is really into nutrition and she bugs you about it - she once made my daughter eat a green bananna when a test session went late and it had been several hours since she'd eaten---and that was all there was. (Now that I'm test chair, I'm ask Moms to bring in food for the testers - DD still likes to complain about that green banannas)

It takes a while to figure out what works, but really it does make a difference if you eat something before you skate.

j

FSWer
09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
So I get up at 4 am to skate 3 days a week. I am not a breakfast person but I'm smart enough to know I have to eat --especially when one of those 6 am sessions is a power class!

I had settled into the habit of toast and peanut butter with a glass of milk until I discovered cashew butter which I like better than peanut butter. For somone who likes to eat as much as I do, this was very sad because I didn't like and would force myself to eat this.

Well the other night I made more french toast than I could eat so I put some in the fridge. One morning I popped that baby in the toaster, put a little cashew butter on that and not only did I enjoy eating that a lot more....i was not STARVING 4 hours later as I drove home from skating, fighitng the temptation (a fight sometimes lost) to get a sausage mc griddle at Mac Donalds.

So tonight I cooked up a bunch of french toast so I will have that on hand and ready to eat for my am sessions.

j

4 AM!!! I don't know about all you other skaters...but I personally think this skater is a trooper. GREAT JOB!!!!

jskater49
09-29-2008, 07:04 PM
4 AM!!! I don't know about all you other skaters...but I personally think this skater is a trooper. GREAT JOB!!!!

Thanks - I think we are all troopers --you too!

j

singerskates
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM
The earliest I've had a practice session has been 9 AM during Summer Skating School so I've always had something for breakfast but I'd usually starve by the end of the first session/hour.

Now that I skate at Forest Glade Arena Wednesdays from 1 PM to 3 PM, Thursdays 12 noon - 2 PM if at Forest Glade Arena or 1 PM to 3 PM at Tecumseh Arena and Fridays 12 noon to 3 PM also Forest Glade, I have to make sure I not only have Breakfast but a good lunch too. What I do for the first 15 minutes once I get on the ice after lunch is stroking; no jumps or spins until the stomach has settled.

I could skate at 8 AM to 10 AM on Tuesdays but I can't seem to get my head to be awake at that time. I'm not much of a morning person and tend to stay up late; artsy musician type. If I have a need to skate on Tuesdays, I'll probably just skate from 9 AM to 10 AM instead of going in early.

Rusty Blades
09-30-2008, 04:44 AM

The 7 a.m. session is pretty much a staple for the competitive skaters around here! Most of the 'seriously competitive' girls (and one guy) normally skate that session. Oh yes, and then there's ME, the 'seriously competitive' oldtimer :roll: 8-)

It is a light session, never seen more than 12 skaters, even before a test or competition, and everybody watches out for everybody else. The mutual respect is incredible.

jenlyon60
09-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Both rinks near me have a consistent crop of skaters on the early morning sessions (5:45/6:00AM start).

In general at both these rinks, the after school freestyle sessions are total zoo sessions (neither rink limits the after school freestyle sessions by level, so there's everything from "private lesson learn to skate" to Junior FS competitors on them. Plus the sessions are usually maxed out with 28-30 skaters.

In contrast, the early early morning sessions have about 10-12 skaters, with a mix of skills from competitive Pre-Pre to Adult Bronze dancers, plus a couple of competitive Intermediate and Novice freeskaters.

And to return to the subject of breakfast, I prefer a breakfast that gives me some protein and some complex carbs. I used to have a can of tuna fish as part of my work-out day breakfast (plus a bowl of lightly sweetened shredded oats cereal), but then I got tired of tuna breath and I've been eating some chicken strips or chicken nuggets for my early morning protein.

Mrs Redboots
09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Yea yea, I used to be like you breakfast non-believers...but I have a coach who is really into nutrition and she bugs you about it - she once made my daughter eat a green bananna when a test session went late and it had been several hours since she'd eaten---and that was all there was. (Now that I'm test chair, I'm ask Moms to bring in food for the testers - DD still likes to complain about that green banannas)Ah, but bananas are much nicer - and lower GI so "last" longer - when they're still a little green. We had tests this morning; started at 7:00 am and finished at 10:00 - I think most skaters (and their parents, if they were kids) were going to have a celebration breakfast afterwards.

SNAP! I'm a black no sugar girl (apart from this week as I'vegiven up caffiene to maximise the effect of the herbal sedative I'm taking to hopefully control my pre-test nerves 8O) I also have a banana as a skate bag snack. If it's too early for breakfast before I leave then I eat a softbake cereal bar on the way to the rink.

When are you testing? I thought British skaters would be amused: one adult skater, who is American and testing here rather below her actual level to get a foot into the system (if you're coming in from abroad, apparently you test at a level you're sure of passing, as if you fail, you have to start from the very beginning - this skater passed her Level 3 Moves, Elements and Free a whole mark over the passing level every time!), said how much more relaxed our sessions were than the ones she is used to!

I wasn't testing today, I hasten to add; I just went down to cheer on several friends who were, all of whom passed except one person who failed her Level 3 Elements, but she then passed her Free so was pleased overall.

Bill_S
09-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought British skaters would be amused: one adult skater, who is American and testing here...

Hmm, I know a skater who was formerly a coach here at Ohio University, but is now working in the UK for PeopleCo. I wonder if it could be the same person?

Mrs Redboots, was her name Kate?

sk8_4fun
09-30-2008, 01:08 PM
When are you testing? I thought British skaters would be amused: one adult skater, who is American and testing here rather below her actual level to get a foot into the system (if you're coming in from abroad, apparently you test at a level you're sure of passing, as if you fail, you have to start from the very beginning - this skater passed her Level 3 Moves, Elements and Free a whole mark over the passing level every time!), said how much more relaxed our sessions were than the ones she is used to!

I wasn't testing today, I hasten to add; I just went down to cheer on several friends who were, all of whom passed except one person who failed her Level 3 Elements, but she then passed her Free so was pleased overall.

This thursday. Level one free dance8O Dont know if its my imagination but I feel alot calmer than last time. I'm on 'quiet life' tablets and they seem to be working for now.

RoaringSkates
09-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Over the summer, I was up and out by 5:30am to get to my 7am practice session. I ate in the car - dry cereal and Diet Coke :lol: and I'd have a second small breakfast once I got to work, after skating, around 9am.

Mrs Redboots
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Mrs Redboots, was her name Kate?

No, this skater is from Texas.

This thursday. Level one free dance8O Dont know if its my imagination but I feel alot calmer than last time. I'm on 'quiet life' tablets and they seem to be working for now.
You'll be just fine - you can do it, after all! And I shall look forward to hearing that you passed. Look, if I can pass Level 1 Free Dance (and I have), anybody can. No, wait a minute, things that could have been better expressed..... but you know what I mean!

We, I hope, are testing our Level 1 Variation at the end of the month.

Talking of breakfast, which is what started this thread, I very often buy a pack of sushi in the supermarket to have after skating - either the small snack pack which I know doesn't have any prawns in it (I can't digest prawns), or a vegetarian pack. Yummy, light, and seems to have the right sort of nutrients.

Sessy
10-01-2008, 02:58 PM
You don't *have* to eat. You could drink natural juice (not the half-lemonade stuff). High sugar, especially fructose. Lots of vitamins.
Or mash some bananas with milk.

GordonSk8erBoi
10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I generally can't eat for an hour or more after I get up, it makes me queasy. Im also not a morning person at all. So when I have early lessons (6:30 or 7, now 7:30) I generally drink one of those small orange juices from the store while I'm driving. If I skate two sessions in the a.m. I'll eat an apple between. Either way I'm usually pretty hungry by the time I get to work after.

sk8_4fun
10-02-2008, 07:53 AM
No, this skater is from Texas.

You'll be just fine - you can do it, after all! And I shall look forward to hearing that you passed. Look, if I can pass Level 1 Free Dance (and I have), anybody can. No, wait a minute, things that could have been better expressed..... but you know what I mean!

I know what you mean Annabel and thankfully I PASSED!!!! I didn't skate my best, and was a little dissapointed to be honest but a pass is a pass. I'd hoped I wouldn't be as nervous but I was terrified and on the warm up considered getting off and just telling my coach I couldn't do it but I got through, just about. :P

doubletoe
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
I know what you mean Annabel and thankfully I PASSED!!!! I didn't skate my best, and was a little dissapointed to be honest but a pass is a pass. I'd hoped I wouldn't be as nervous but I was terrified and on the warm up considered getting off and just telling my coach I couldn't do it but I got through, just about. :P

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! :bow::D

jazzpants
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
YAAAAY!!! Congrats to you!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (A pass is a pass is a pass!!! :twisted: )

Mrs Redboots
10-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Yay, well done, sk8_4fun! Knew you would do it. Can you do the compulsories with your coach or other professional partner, which would make it less nerve-wracking than trying to do solo?

See you on Sunday?

sk8_4fun
10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Yay, well done, sk8_4fun! Knew you would do it. Can you do the compulsories with your coach or other professional partner, which would make it less nerve-wracking than trying to do solo?

See you on Sunday?

Thats not a bad idea! - That way I could just worry about tripping him up! I might Sunday but either way I wish you and everybody else whose going all the very best. :D:D (and go team Telford!!!!!!!)

Mrs Redboots
10-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Go team Telford!!!!!!!

Go Streatham!!!!!

Although having said that, our team-mates are horribly likely to skate the pants off us, at least, those ones against whom we are actually competing!