View Full Version : In search of a good lip gloss to wear while skating...

Kay
09-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey guys,

I am in search of a good lip gloss to wear for an upcoming skating show. I always wear blistex (or chapstick) when I compete and practice, because I like that smooth feeling, and hate the wind-burned dry lips in the middle of my program. This time, my coach is requesting that I 'glam up' a bit, since it is a show, and should be fun!

In the show, we are skating to a delicate, feminine piece, and also a rock 'n roll piece, so I need something that can go for either (I don't have time to change make-up in between numbers) I detest lipstick, because I find it to be toooo much colour/too opaque, so I am in search of a gloss - something that isn't sticky, but it still like a liquidy-shine. Aiming for a slight tint, not tooo tooo much colour, although a fair amount of shine/"wet look" is okay because I figure that will show up on the ice, and compensate for the lack of bold colour.

What lip gloss has anyone else found they like to wear while skating?
I am looking for a bit of colour, a bit of shine, not sticky, and stays moist while skating.

Please make recommendations!!! Thank you in advance!!

AnnM
09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Check out Loreal's HIP Jelly Balm. You should be able to find it at Target, Walgreen's, CVS, etc. There are a range of colors to choose from. I have found that it keeps the lips moist, while adding color and shine. It seems "buildable" to me, meaning that you can build up to the intensity you'd like by putting more on. Or you can just dab a bit on for a hint of color.

Here's a link (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#page=top{nav|media:_blank|overlay:pro ductdetail//objectid+Cos18r_1//|diagnostic|main:brandpage:hip|userdata//d+d//}) about it.

ibreakhearts66
09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Personally, I wear either Chanel lipgloss or MAC Lipglass. I think they may be a little sticky for what you want. What might work for you is MAC Pro Longwear Lustre Lipcolor (http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15113&PRODUCT_ID=PROD8503) or MAC Lipgelee (http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15112&PRODUCT_ID=PROD8327)

Lisa_C
09-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I use the long lasting lipstick that comes in 2 parts, a lip color and a clear gloss to put over the lip color. Various companies make it. I don't use the clear gloss though, because it is pretty sticky. I put the lip color on and let it dry thoroughly, then put chapstick or blistex over it. You can see the color on my lips, but it feels like I am only wearing chapstick.

sk8lady
09-26-2008, 09:17 AM
I do this too--use a Stila lipliner and lipstick, then put chapstick on over it. Works great and feels nice since my lips tend to dry out.

The other thing I use is lip stuff from Burt's Bees. They make it in a bunch of different colors and the lighter ones feel like mint chapstick, except they look prettier!

doubletoe
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
I use the long lasting lipstick that comes in 2 parts, a lip color and a clear gloss to put over the lip color. Various companies make it. I don't use the clear gloss though, because it is pretty sticky. I put the lip color on and let it dry thoroughly, then put chapstick or blistex over it. You can see the color on my lips, but it feels like I am only wearing chapstick.

That stuff is great. I used CoverGirl Outlast for my wedding and it had nice shine without being sticky like lip gloss. It's available in a very pale pink for those who don't like a lot of color (that's what I used). Just be warned you'll also need to buy the remover to take it off at the end of the day.

AxelBaby
09-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Not to commandeer this thread or anything, but...speaking of lip gloss...

What does everyone generally wear in terms of competition make up? Do you try to match the eye color to the dress, or wear all the same makeup for each program?

I would be interested in hearing what everyone does...

ibreakhearts66
09-26-2008, 09:05 PM

What does everyone generally wear in terms of competition make up? Do you try to match the eye color to the dress, or wear all the same makeup for each program?

I don't match the eye color to the dress. For my artistic (bright pink dress), I do a shimmery silver, grey and black smoky eye. For my freeskate, I have a royal blue Carrie Jones dress, and I do a smoky eye using this really pretty silvery-blue MAC color (I believe the name is Tilt), with dark gray to smoke it out and black along the lash lines. I emphasize the eyes, then do a blush and lipcolor.

Mrs Redboots
09-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Unless I need a specific make-up for an Interp, I keep the same face all day - one of the joys of skating is that one can do a rather more theatrical make-up than one would normally wear!

For lipstick/gloss, I use the Max Factor one, a two-stage job - you can reapply the gloss layer whenever you want, but the colour stays put until you wipe it off with a make-up removing tissue. I also use their two-stage mascara, and that stays on for days.... alas!

daisies
09-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I swear by Cover Girl Outlast or Max Factor Lipfinity every time I compete. It does not budge (you have to remove it with oil or a special remover), and it doesn't dry out as long as you reapply the top coat often. It is definitely opaque though, so it might not be what you want.

patatty
09-28-2008, 06:26 PM
I love the Buxom Lips lipgloss from Bare Escentuals. It feels kind of tingly on, and has a really nice shine. It comes in all colors, from clear to bright. I carry one with me at all times. I'm not a fan of lipstick either, but this has just enough shine and color to make it look like I'm wearing something, and it feels really nice.