View Full Version : Men's practice pants

GordonSk8erBoi
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Okay, I've searched the forum several times, and found only one semi-useful thread from 2 years ago that mostly devolved into a discussion about coed locker rooms.

I am looking for some nice practice pants. I was going to get some from our club, but (surprise) after I gave them my $ i was told "sorry, the vendor doesn't have men's sizes". Story of my life in this sport!

I am 5-10, a 34 or 35 waist and 32 inch inseam. I want something like the Mondor 4452:

http://mondor.com/md_GlaceCollectionStyleForm.asp?sCatKey=MSGL&sCollKey=POL&sStyleKey=4452&lang=en.

Basically, something stretchy, warm (our rink is usually 42 degrees F) and with stirrups.

Also I'm in the US so UK and Canadian stuff not that helpful.

Should I just order the largest size and hope it fits? Anyone? thanks for any insight. right now I practice in Nike training/wind pants and though they are lined and reasonably warm they don't show my line well and I'd frankly like something a bit more fashionable :-).

thanks.

jenlyon60
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Del Arbour makes a men's skating pant. I don't know what their mens' size range is, though.

sk8tmum
09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
They're pricey, but, worth every dollar ... they are custom fit, they are warm, and they are designed for skaters, in terms of stretch and line; they wear like iron, and my son can't even destroy them and he's hard on pants. Yes, they're Canadian, but, they do large amounts of business with the US (note the amount of stuff that's got the US flag on them) - and if you check practice pictures of the competitive skaters, you'll see the logo on lots of them. Get the basic black and they'll double as backup competition pants (or at least they have for us) - but, you can get seriously creative with colours and designs ...

www.blueskys.com

My son picks a pair every year, they arrive, and he outgrows them before he outwears them. One time there was a problem with fit, and they fixed it up ASAP.

The other thing I'm seeing more of is LuLuLemon on the guys, but, no stirrups, they don't wear as long, and they're just as pricey - !

Other option: Jerry's Skatewear make a basic black men's pants that does duty as a practice pant, you sew on the straps yourself, and Jerry's is available widely in the US; however, I found that DS wore out the knees and the seat in a few months, so, the lower cost ended up being higher than the BlueSkys ones that last for over a year due to having to replace them.

Skittl1321
09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
What about Under Armour? Their coldgear is very popular among skaters. I've seen girsl boys in both their leggings and tops. For men, it would just depend how comfortable you are with tight leggings.

jazzpants
09-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Tee hee hee... I remembered that thread too!!! It was the BIG gossip topic of the NYC Meetup a couple of years ago!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

I LURVE the lulelemon stuff!!!! (Of course, more for the workout clothes stuff. They are QUITE expensive, but for the quality of the stuff, the design, colors and how the pants make my booty look, it's WELL WORTH THE PRICE!!! :twisted: )

I recommend the Under Armour stuff and BlueSky. I also suggest you look into Seku skatewear (http://www.sekuskatewear.com/men.html) too!

TreSk8sAZ
09-23-2008, 01:16 AM
I absolutely love BlueSkys. That's where Pat gets all of his pants, both practice and competition. Even though they are from Canada, shipping is reasonable and they have tons of styles to choose from. Not only that, like sk8tmum says, they're custom sized so they work wonderfully. They're relatively fast to get, too.

RachelSk8er
09-23-2008, 08:28 AM
There are some male skaters at my rink who are all wearing these Adidas pants that are actually really nice. They're black with white accents and fitted through the legs (but not tight) and at the ankle so they are not too baggy around your boot. I think they are these pants:

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2771808&shopGroup=R&cp=2019627.2039608.2019536.2018789&parentPage=family&colorId=

sk8tmum
09-23-2008, 08:54 AM
UnderArmour stuff is great, and there are some that are not tight leggings for the guys. DS lives in UnderArmour on the "top half" and DD loves the frosty-tights for leggings.

What you can do, if you're enamoured of the stirrup idea, is to buy something like UnderArmour, and then,if you're handy yourself, sew on 4 1-1/2 inch heavy duty black elastic strips (one on each inseam) - joining them under the skates with velcro tabs. Any good seamstress could do it too ...

black
09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Not sure if you can get Ron Hill (http://www.ronhill.com/product-popups/tracksters/index.htm) running stuff in the US?

GordonSk8erBoi
09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm liking the look of the BlueSkys but not the price... wow! I guess I'm cheap, the only clothing items I've ever paid more than $100 for are suits, and those last forever. Still, maybe I will go ahead and bite the bullet on these.

TreSk8sAZ
09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm liking the look of the BlueSkys but not the price... wow!

The thing is, they last 3-5 years. I still have some of the first pants that I bought from them. They're comfy, warm, and other than a couple of tears at the bottom where I bladed myself in jumps, my newest set has lasted two years and still has tons of life in them

sk8tmum
09-26-2008, 07:35 AM
I second the longevity of the BlueSkys, and, frankly, they're comfortable to skate in. Considering that UnderArmour underwear runs $40 a pair...

Thin-Ice
09-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Think of how many wearings you get out of a pair of skate pants each year.. and divide that number into the cost.. you may find the cost per wearing is very inexpensive. And can you really put a price on your comfort while skating?

CanadianAdult
09-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I third the BlueSkys. The basic black can double as competition pants. Also, they show off the skating line quite well but are not crack tight so they're more flattering. Mondor makes a competition pant, style 747 that is a bit shinier and smooth fit. They're around $100. Blue Sky's are about $120 and well worth it.