View Full Version : Ice Dance Boots and Blades

fsk8r
09-17-2008, 07:35 AM
I've been pondering getting ice dance boots and blades for a while now (hoping it will rectify my toe pointing problems, because it's physically impossible with a boot digging into your calf) and was wondering what people would recommend, and am thinking that I might treat myself if I manage to pass my final forward dances test on Tuesday (will require minor miracle, given that my last lesson was done without music because the rink system had broken down!). I'm relatively low level, am keeping my freestyle boots and do synchro as well.
I was thinking of perhaps getting synchro blades as having a toe pick might be nice for those days I suddenly get the urge to jump whilst meant to be doing dance. But in terms of boots I'm a bit stuck. I got my freestyle boots from a shop in Vancouver and spent a couple of hours trying on different boots. I'd like to do that again, somewhere in the London area, but I've heard rather odd tales about Les Westerway (never met him so don't know what is true or not) but there seem to be a lot of people who end up in boots which are too small.
Any ideas as to where has a selection of different manufacturers boots and is good for fittings?

Bunny Hop
09-17-2008, 07:52 AM
I highly recommend Everglides: http://www.everglides.co.uk/

You need to arrange a time to visit, rather than just turning up, but are very friendly, and stock brands not normally available in the UK.

RachelSk8er
09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
I wear Ultima Synchro Blades and they are by far my favorite blades I've ever worn (in the past I've used Super Dance 99s, MK Gold Stars, as well as cheaper blades--Cornation Ace, Cornation Dance, etc). The best part is that they are only about $130 US--so even cheaper, I think, than a Cornation Ace. I find they hold an edge much longer than other brands I've tried so they need less sharpenings and therefore you get more life out of them. I currently wear them for dance (working on pre-golds) as well as freestyle (competing silver, working on axels and will soon start working on doubles), and I wore this specific brand for synchro throughout college and the few years of adult I did after I graduated (not doing synchro any more due to lack of time/lack of good teams where I now live). I think it's much easier than worrying about multiple pair of skates and different blades, and it's good if you're on a session and want to work on dance for a bit and then do freestyle.

I personally have never tried a dance boot, I find that they are too soft for me and I like a stiff boot for everything, so I've always wore normal freestyle boots...but the new Reidells are actually cut like a dance boot with the lower back, but have more support to them...I'm going to be trying those when I buy my next pair of boots.

fsk8r
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I wear Ultima Synchro Blades and they are by far my favorite blades I've ever worn (in the past I've used Super Dance 99s, MK Gold Stars, as well as cheaper blades--Cornation Ace, Cornation Dance, etc). The best part is that they are only about $130 US--so even cheaper, I think, than a Cornation Ace. I find they hold an edge much longer than other brands I've tried so they need less sharpenings and therefore you get more life out of them. I currently wear them for dance (working on pre-golds) as well as freestyle (competing silver, working on axels and will soon start working on doubles), and I wore this specific brand for synchro throughout college and the few years of adult I did after I graduated (not doing synchro any more due to lack of time/lack of good teams where I now live). I think it's much easier than worrying about multiple pair of skates and different blades, and it's good if you're on a session and want to work on dance for a bit and then do freestyle.

I personally have never tried a dance boot, I find that they are too soft for me and I like a stiff boot for everything, so I've always wore normal freestyle boots...but the new Reidells are actually cut like a dance boot with the lower back, but have more support to them...I'm going to be trying those when I buy my next pair of boots.

I was actually thinking about the Ultima Synchro blade because their price was very attractive given that it's about half the cost of Coronation Dance and we won't even go there with the MK Dance and the other dance blades. Thanks for the confirmation that they are good enough for the purposes.

The chap at Everglides sells Reidells and had suggested that I go down and try them, but having never seen them and them not being dance boots I wasn't too sure whether they'd be what I'm after, but hearing that they are just cut lower they will probably do the trick of what I'm after.

I'm currently skating in stupidly solid Jackson Elite (I think it's Elite or Elite Plus) which after about 3 years I think I've finally broken in and before that I was Risport Laser which were the standard issue starting boot at the time.
I've tried my sister's Graf Dance boots, but unfortunately I won't be able to try Graf's and Reidells at the same time (unless I borrow my sister's skates) as Everglides don't do Grafs.

I'm just feeling that it's a bit difficult to buy the best boot for your feet if you live in the UK given that each shop only does one or two makes. I don't suppose there are any good skate shops along the I-78 from Newark Airport to Pennsylvania? I'm sure I could organise some spare time on the way to or from the airport on my next business trip (whenever that might be).

Isk8NYC
09-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't suppose there are any good skate shops along the I-78 from Newark Airport to Pennsylvania? I'm sure I could organise some spare time on the way to or from the airport on my next business trip (whenever that might be).The Beacon Hill Club has an excellent pro shop - Eastern Ice Sports.
Route I-78 runs parallel with Route 24, so it's not too far out of your way.

http://www.beaconhillclub.org/contact.htm

Skating Pro Shop (Eastern Ice Sports): 908-277-6688
... Tuesday - Friday, 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
... Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Just be sure to call in advance for an appointment and to check stock. I think the manager's name is Joe, but I'm not sure anymore.

About checking stock: sometimes the kids who answer the phones tell you it's in stock when it's actually at their other store or storage place. Make sure they realize you're only planning on making one trip.

fsk8r
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
The Beacon Hill Club has an excellent pro shop - Eastern Ice Sports.
Route I-78 runs parallel with Route 24, so it's not too far out of your way.

http://www.beaconhillclub.org/contact.htm

Skating Pro Shop (Eastern Ice Sports): 908-277-6688
... Tuesday - Friday, 1:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
... Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Just be sure to call in advance for an appointment and to check stock. I think the manager's name is Joe, but I'm not sure anymore.

About checking stock: sometimes the kids who answer the phones tell you it's in stock when it's actually at their other store or storage place. Make sure they realize you're only planning on making one trip.

Thanks for that. I'd have been too scared to pull of the interstate without knowing where I was going, but that looks quite manageable. I'd have to make sure there was still space in the case or the carry-on (although there's always space for boots!). Will have to see if I can organise a shopping (sorry business) trip for anytime soon. I'm felt like I emptied the GK outlet store in Reading, PA last time I went.

Isk8NYC
09-17-2008, 09:57 AM
It's off a major interstate, but the local roads you take to get to the Club are more rural. (It's a country club off the beaten path. Just make sure you follow the directions carefully and watch for the turns. Street signs are sometimes missing. When you call ask how you can tell if you've gone too far.

It's so expensive to take luggage on trips now; many airlines charge extra.
Might be worth it to ship it to yourself.

fsk8r
09-17-2008, 10:24 AM
It's so expensive to take luggage on trips now; many airlines charge extra.
Might be worth it to ship it to yourself.

Transatlantic luggage allowance is still normally included in the price (it better be the flights cost enough - although I think American Airways is trialing removing the food on transatlantic, so I'd recommend using a European carrier as they've not quite got as desperate in the cost cutting) and is also normally double European allowances. Luckily if I'm over on business I'm normally only there for a week so don't need to take too much (provided its not winter and I'd hate to think how much I'd need to take then), it's just the amount of stuff which gets taken home which runs the issue of customs taking an interest in your bag (which is OK unless you walk through with massive Macys bags. Apparently people in the UK think Macys is some wonderful store in NYC and haven't realised that it's just a nationwide department store chain!).

Isk8NYC
09-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Macy's on 34th street USED to be very special and unique, but that was before all the department store mergers. B. Altman & Company was better, but they were bought out and the stores were closed.

There's always Saks Fifth Avenue.

RoaringSkates
09-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I highly recommend Everglides: http://www.everglides.co.uk/

You need to arrange a time to visit, rather than just turning up, but are very friendly, and stock brands not normally available in the UK.

Great website. Thanks for the link.

RoaringSkates
09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm just feeling that it's a bit difficult to buy the best boot for your feet if you live in the UK given that each shop only does one or two makes. I don't suppose there are any good skate shops along the I-78 from Newark Airport to Pennsylvania? I'm sure I could organise some spare time on the way to or from the airport on my next business trip (whenever that might be).

Nearish to Newark, but I'm not sure of the exact distance: the pro shop at the rink in Hackensack, NJ is very, very good. If you did go there, call and speak with Jim first, and make an appointment to see him.

Hackensack is one of the major World level rinks, and Jim really knows his stuff. Call the rink at 201-487-8444 and ask for the pro shop. Then ask for Jim.

No matter where you decide to go, call first and make an appointment with someone who actually knows how to fit figure skates. In fact, if you can speak to that person by phone first, they will make sure they have the right sizes and makes on hand for your visit.

Most pro shops will ship the skates to you, if you need them to.

aussieskater
09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Are you happy with the fit of the Jacksons? If so, you might want to try what my husband has done (188cm tall, 85-90kg, singles to ultra-dodgy loop, working on european and foxtrot and will be for a while, especially with me for a partner): his current boots are extra-wide standard strength Jackson Elite or Elite Plus (can't remember and neither can he right now), with elastic insert in the achilles to encourage him to point his toes, and Ultima Synchro blades. They've proven to be really good so far - he's had them since about Feb this year and apart from falling on his backside getting used to the shorter tail of the blade, there was virtually no break-in time.

mintypoppet
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Just my 2p, from a UK perspective:

I have two (different) pairs of GAMs from Les, and haven't had any problem with going to him. He stocks at least GAM, SP Teri and Belati, and they suit some feet and not others.

Alternatively, there is John Turner in Birmingham, who sells WIFA boots and is a real sweetie! Several people at my rink, coaches included, have recently bought WIFA Dance boots and I haven't heard a bad word about them so far.

My dance blades are MK Dance, which have tiny squared off toepicks, and I *prefer* to jump in my MK Pro FS blades because I get more grip. However, I can do all my jumps in my dance blades without any problem (singles up to flip - nothing terribly advanced!), so I wouldn't worry toooo much about toepicks. As far as I've been told, Coronation Dance are just Coronation Ace without the heel (toepicks and all!), and were £90 when I was last given a quote.

Best of luck finding something that suits you. I *love* my dance blades :)

Isk8NYC
09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Nearish to Newark, but I'm not sure of the exact distance: the pro shop at the rink in Hackensack, NJ is very, very good. If you did go there, call and speak with Jim first, and make an appointment to see him. Oh, I thought the OP wanted to know about good pro shops along her I-78 Westbound route. Wouldn't Hackensack be out of the way? I've done the Newark-to-Hackensack run - it's about 35-45 minutes northeast via the NJ Turnpike, depending on traffic. Jim is outstanding - that's who I prefer to have sharpen my skates. My office is nearby.

Aren't there a few rinks near Easton, PA or Phillipsburg, NJ? Would their pro shops be good?

RoaringSkates
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh, I thought the OP wanted to know about good pro shops along her I-78 Westbound route. Wouldn't Hackensack be out of the way? I've done the Newark-to-Hackensack run - it's about 35-45 minutes northeast via the NJ Turnpike, depending on traffic. Jim is outstanding - that's who I prefer to have sharpen my skates. My office is nearby.

Yes. It's that I live in NY, and my knowledge of NJ geography is extremely vague. I only know the places I've been, but have little concept of how close X is to Y. So I know where Hackensack is - I go there all the time - but to me, it's near Newark. I think. Well, relatively speaking. :giveup:

fsk8r
09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Yes. It's that I live in NY, and my knowledge of NJ geography is extremely vague. I only know the places I've been, but have little concept of how close X is to Y. So I know where Hackensack is - I go there all the time - but to me, it's near Newark. I think. Well, relatively speaking. :giveup:

I'm scared driving around Newark. It's bad enough getting to the airport let alone going somewhere new and not quite as well sign posted as a major interanational airport! There's too many lanes on the freeways and with express routes as well, I daren't go too far from the designated route!

I've not looked to see what there is in Easton, but having found it last time I was over, I'll have a look at it for rinks and proshops. I couldn't find ice time in Allentown / Bethlehem, PA last time I was over, which fitted in with the fact that the purpose of the trip was for work!

fsk8r
09-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Are you happy with the fit of the Jacksons? If so, you might want to try what my husband has done (188cm tall, 85-90kg, singles to ultra-dodgy loop, working on european and foxtrot and will be for a while, especially with me for a partner): his current boots are extra-wide standard strength Jackson Elite or Elite Plus (can't remember and neither can he right now), with elastic insert in the achilles to encourage him to point his toes, and Ultima Synchro blades. They've proven to be really good so far - he's had them since about Feb this year and apart from falling on his backside getting used to the shorter tail of the blade, there was virtually no break-in time.

I actually really like my Jacksons, but they've taken a while for me to break them in (although that might have been more because I was too low a level skater when I got them and I've only just started pushing them a bit more recently). But they're currently WAY too high for me to point my toes. I've not spotted anywhere locally stocking Jacksons so I'm stuck having to look at other makes, as otherwise I might have just gone with a Jackson Dance or one with a cut down heel.

fsk8r
09-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Just my 2p, from a UK perspective:

I have two (different) pairs of GAMs from Les, and haven't had any problem with going to him. He stocks at least GAM, SP Teri and Belati, and they suit some feet and not others.

Alternatively, there is John Turner in Birmingham, who sells WIFA boots and is a real sweetie! Several people at my rink, coaches included, have recently bought WIFA Dance boots and I haven't heard a bad word about them so far.

My dance blades are MK Dance, which have tiny squared off toepicks, and I *prefer* to jump in my MK Pro FS blades because I get more grip. However, I can do all my jumps in my dance blades without any problem (singles up to flip - nothing terribly advanced!), so I wouldn't worry toooo much about toepicks. As far as I've been told, Coronation Dance are just Coronation Ace without the heel (toepicks and all!), and were £90 when I was last given a quote.

Best of luck finding something that suits you. I *love* my dance blades :)

Unfortunately my only chance to see John Turner is when he comes to the rink and generally it's for about 30seconds to say thank you very much, here are my boots before I have to run to work, so don't really have time to sit down and do boot fittings. And I've never been to see Les. I've heard mixed reports about him. Some people are delighted, and others seem slightly disappointed.
I might just have to go and see him to see what those makes are like.

It's such a hassle that you have to go around half the country trying on different boots just to try the different varieties. It would be soooo nice to have a shop which stocked a good range of boots and at reasonably high level boots as well. The local pro shop is only any good if you want your starter boot or hockey boots.