View Full Version : Jumping out of Bed or Pushing the Snooze Button? 9/15-21 Practice

jskater49
09-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Jumping out of Bed

I really pushed it in Power, decided I didn't want to be left behind. So much that when she wanted us to do mohawks on the end I couldn't do anything on one foot my legs were shaking so much. When I told the coach that she says "Good! Glad to hear it. Good for you!" Wasn't the response I was expecting!

Saw my reflection in the window with my back spirals and my free leg actually looked pretty high.

Snooze Button....I started going down hill after the power class and only skated about 40 minutes after the class. I started coughing in power and thought it was just that early morning power congestion from having to blow your nose. But it didn't stop and now I'm thinking I'm going to go back to bed, which I never do after skating.

j

Bill_S
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Jumping out of bed at 5 a.m. and GLAD!

First ice of the season this morning for me! HURRAY! It felt very strange at first, but soon some skills starting coming back.

I still have all 8 three turns, and they don't seem to go away over the summer anymore. They are solid.

Some brackets are solid too, but the difficult brackets (back inside) I postponed until I felt a little more comfortable on the ice.

Snooze button:
The nifty twizzles I had last season are merely lumpy, turning threes.

My infant back spin must have been adopted by someone else over the summer break.

All forward spins traveled, but I got about 10 revs fairly easily. Unlike backspins, they are not completely gone.

FlyAndCrash
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Jumping: I got up and skated this morning. I did skip the afternoon session, but I did get up and skate.

Jumping: I ran thru my program, and it mostly worked. I did forget a spin though... But all my jumps worked and I ended with the music. I think I just need to do more run-thrus to become comfortable with the program again.

Snoozing: I didn't manage a 2sal today. Kinda made me sad. And pretty muchc every attempt at a catchfoot spin ended in failure or uglyness. I really need to ask someone to film me. Both spins and program.

sk8lady
09-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Jumping: Still seem to have my loop today, did one really good one, three with iffy landings, and a bunch of crap ones, but IT'S A REAL JUMP!!!!!
Did two good backspins as well after working with secondary coach on them yesterday.
Snoozing: As I heard a competitor say at AN last year, "Ladies and gentlemen, the camel has left the building. There will be no camel today."

RachelSk8er
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Called in sick to work today, but that didn't stop me from going to the rink! One of those snot flying out of your nose on spins days...but needless to say skating helped clear up some of the ick....

Jumping out of bed: Camel spins and camel-sit. Camel spins are the bane of my existence but now that I am working on keeping my R shoulder back and almost turning my upper body, I'm staying over the skating side MUCH better and getting faster rotation and more revs. Yay! That makes it easier for me to get in a lower sit position on the combo spin too, since I have more speed.

Sit-change-sit--Only did 2 of these today, one was REALLY good...the back sit position wasn't a whole lot higher than my forward sit was! I fell over on the 2nd attempt because I was leaning forward too much toward the end of the back sit. I think these are getting comfortable enough to put in my program for Buckeye!

Re-learned the Viennese, as I hadn't done it in like 8 yrs and forgot the steps. I might get moved to this dance for Buckeye (signed up for silver tango, if no one else signs up for that, I do know 2 people signed up for the Viennese, friends of mine, so I will just do that with them). Silver Tango is looking really good, too....did about 6 patterns of that...I tend to rush a little bit on the end pattern, mostly on the cross 3...but adding some arm movements there seems to help.

Scratch-back scratch was good today, too! Like as in totally passable if I did it on my pre-juv free test the way I was doing it today...I did a bunch of them and only one was shaky.

My coach and I put together my compulsory for Buckeye!

Only ran sections of my silver free (which is currently the test version, not the competition version) since I'm a little under the weather. First half was good, second half was good, except I forgot that I'd switched a few things around.

Pushing the snooze button: Lutzes. My coach is working with me on more height and more of a real lutz (I tend to square my shoulders and not stay down in my knees)....I'm getting the takeoff to be more of what he wants, it just feels awkward half the time.

Didn't get to axels today :(

Didn't get to my moves either....actually other than the crossover patterns and once through the rockers when I was warming up last Saturday, I haven't touched them in weeks. As usual. I hate moves. And don't have time to work on them. And don't have to because it's not like I'm at a point where I need them to pass a freestyle test (ha ha the chances of me ever getting to junior free are slim to none). But seriously one day I'll suck it up and finish...

Rusty Blades
09-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Snoozing: Posted in the wrong thread! When did practice threads start changing on TUESDAYS?? :oops:

Jumping out of bed! A strange thing happened as I stepped on to the ice this morning. Since I started skating January 18, 2006, every time I first set blade to ice I have stepped off of solid ground with a little trepidation (ok, a LOT of trepidation initially!) but, today there was none. Stepping onto the ice was like coming home, returning to the familiar and comfortable. I am finally starting to feel like a skater rather than an interloper

Had a good workout this morning! Lots and lots of backwards, a few spins, lots of edges. Even forward edges and XOs have benefited from being down in my knees more and my knees are FINE! (It must have been just the initial 'strain' of the new posture.)

Bill_S
09-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Since I started skating January 18, 2006, every time I first set blade to ice I have stepped off of solid ground with a little trepidation (ok, a LOT of trepidation initially!) but, today there was none. Stepping onto the ice was like coming home,...

Wait until you start leaping onto the ice with gusto...

..but forget to take off your guards! :twisted::twisted:

Mrs Redboots
09-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Leaping out of bed: Coaches are back, so back to lessons again, and extra tomorrow to make up for not having had any on Sunday. Plus the sharpener was in, so I got my blades touched up. They were in that irritating stage where they didn't really need it, but it would have been too long until he came again. My coach does sharpenings, but I am letting him learn on other people, thank you very much - he may (and does) stone my blades, but I'm not letting him near them with a machine just yet.

Pressing the snooze button: I seem to have extraordinarily little energy these days, and felt I was skating below par. And why are we never satisfied - Husband and I have conquered our togetherness issues and are beginning to conquer our speed issues, and to remember to point our toes and so on.... but then there are the hold issues, and.....

Rusty Blades
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Wait until you start leaping onto the ice with gusto...

..but forget to take off your guards! :twisted::twisted:

Ain't gonna happen .... nope .... wont let it 8-)

Mel On Ice
09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
jumping: finished my new dramatic interp choreography, and it is the return of pretty! I'm feeling good about this one, because I feel like this plays up my strengths, the music is a little different than what you expect of dramatic. I've done angry storm cloud (Riders on the Storm) and wistful angel (Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground) to mixed success. But I'm feeling this one better than the other two.

snooze: I ushered in my 39th birthday with a huge crash on a loop. I'm in what my coach is maddenly calling that inbetween stage. I'm no longer skating "small", but I'm having trouble controlling the tricks because I am skating bigger. The loop was huge, the spring surprising, and I fell hard on my assets then slid to center ice. So I tried the footwork in and out of the jump over and over and over and over and over again. Sometimes I chickened out and did a half loop. Other times I landed on two feet. Or I just didn't do the jump at all. So I had a mental hissy fit and screamed internally "arms!" and that did the trick in controlling the akimbo limbs and I did the jump smoothly thereafter.

jskater49
09-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Snoozing: Posted in the wrong thread! When did practice threads start changing on TUESDAYS?? :oops:

Um, I started the thread yesterday and it's dated the 15th, which was Monday...so I'm not sure what you mean

j

ibreakhearts66
09-16-2008, 07:16 PM

This thread was created on Monday, but Doubletoe and I were finishing a discussion on last weeks, which probably raised it above this one. So this thread did exist, it was just lower down on the list than last weeks.

Jumping out of Bed
Me! Well, not quite jumping, more like bitterly crawling out, but I DID force myself to get up for a (relatively) early morning lesson.

Had a good lesson. I was feeling pretty down on myself after competition, and the lesson made me feel better. I wasn't depressed because I didn't skate well, but more because I was feeling like, logically, I should quit.

Anyways. My coach commented on how much better my axels have gotten, which was really nice to hear. I've been working really hard on getting more height and distance, so it's nice to know that it's been paying off.

2loops were good. We worked on getting more arc on it so I can get a triple out of it 8O 2loop2loops were good too, once I actually did them.

2flips were good, in their own way. I didn't land many, but they were still much better, you know? I could have landed almost all of them, but I was tired/kept reaching for the ice.

2lutz is ALMOST on a complete outside edge. It does change edge a little, but I don't think it is noticeable enough to get a deduction. I can get the single on a perfect outside edge with absolutely no change, but the double changes right before I take-off.

I worked on moves, and I really think they may be about ready to test. Since we're not having a test session for some time, I'm hoping that maybe I can get my juv moves and FS ready as well and test both levels (pre-juv and juv) at once.

After my lesson I worked a bit on counters and rockers and did some REALLY good BO rockers and counters.

Snooze Button
Took a couple nasty falls, as usual. Slammed my left hip again. :roll: I guess I really do need to wear my pads all the time.

kander
09-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Snooze Button: This is actually a good thing. I wouldn't get up early even if my bed was on fire. That's why I never would have made a good competitive skater.

Jumping out of Bed: Had a really good skate tonight. Not that I did particularly good jumps and spins, but everything felt easy and natural. That doesn't happen very often. Even my loops felt good. It's at times like this that I feel like an actual skater.

Snooze Button: Last week I had an awful lesson. Couldn't do anything. I feel like I'm wasting coaches time and my money.

Rusty Blades
09-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Jumping: I seem to be spending my time building up my quadriceps - never realized I was skating so upright until my session with Ms. Manley - not anymore! HUGE difference in all my moves, being down in the knees, but the quads still don't have the endurance - it's coming but not there yet.

Snooze: After 45 minutes of 'deep in the knees' skating, I asked my coach if we could do off-ice work today :giveup:

Jumping: We sort of worked out the winter's plan of attack, discussed what I'd like to do for a new Interpretive, and worked on off-ice jumps. I didn't feel I had enough hang-time to get to full rotation jumps but coach says my height is good and I just need to work on timing to get my rotation happening quicker. That was a productive session! :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Snooze: Which is what I wanted to do this morning after a disturbed night. And with sharp blades I really didn't skate well and had a very poor lesson with Coach2.

Jumping out of bed: Conversely, I had a really good lesson with coach1, focussing on technique!

doubletoe
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Turned off the alarm:

I went to bed at 9:00pm and set the alarm for 5:00am, but when it went off, I decided my body would thank me if I slept 9 hours instead of getting up and skating with a cold. I've learned that skating while sick tends to result in the one-step-forward-two-steps-back syndrome. . . So now it's going to end up being at least 3 weeks not skating my program. I'm not looking forward to that first run-through.:roll:

jazzpants
09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Jump Out of Bed:
... and tried to rush out to the temporary ice rink to FINALLY have a lesson with my secondary coach... :mrgreen:

Snooze:
...I got there... but sadly a bit late. I had a shorter lesson than I wanted, never mind no warm up time!!! 8O

Jump Out of Bed:
My secondary coach decide to have mercy on me and give me the remainder of the time at our next lesson since she knew I was making an effort to get to the rink! Bless her heart, since it was just as huge of an inconvenience for her as it is for me! :bow:

I went thru my spiral (yeah, first thing after a short couple of laps of skating!!!) and then waltz jump, followed by loops. The RFO spiral was fine.

Snooze:
The LFO spiral...needs improvement...

Jump Out of Bed:
Waltz and Loop was just fine!!! Getting used to the new sharpening!!! :D

Snooze:
Loop-loop sucked after the first handful of them! Why, oh why can't I get any flow after that first loop!?!?! :frus:

And I really need that access to the workplace gym... if nothing else I would like the convenience of taking a SHOWER at work rather than having to go home first to shower before going to work (and getting distracted by home stuff and being slightly late to work.... :roll: )

Skittl1321
09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Jumping out of bed Had a nice practice yesterday after group lessons. Ran each of my moves once, as if testing, and was only a little out of breathe when I finished :) And they were all pretty good, I think.

I also finished a new practice dress :) I'm getting much better at this sewing thing.

Also thrilled that this weekend I found the Circo leggings back in stock at Target. They are WAY longer than the ones from last year, and a different material. These have a more flattering fit, and while I don't need the length, now I can tuck them under the heel of my boot to lengthen my leg line (last years only came to my ankles). I bought the only 2 they had, and will go look for more today! Got to love $5 skatewear.

Pushing the snooze putton I hate backspins. Not as much as I hate jumps, but they are so frustrating. Especially because I get them, then regress, then get them, then regress more than I did the first time. I was able to cross my leg a few times, but not many, and on one of them I stabbed myself and have a 2 inch cut on my leg. I didn't cut my new leggings though :) I never understand how that works, but I'm happy I didn't cut them.

My biggest concern: nerves. The test schedule came out, and I swear my heart rate doubled just reading it. My coach is VERY upset with me for the amount of nerves I'm having, I think she thinks I'm doing it on purpose and psyching myself out. Problem is, my head knows there is nothing to worry about, but the physiological response doesn't agree with that. Yesterday before we taught LTS she was telling me to stop thinking about being nervous and we talked about the test, then she asked me if I had just eaten something spicy, because my cheeks were bright pink. I said- nope- that's because we've been talking about out test. A fun game to play would be to talk about bunnies and unicorns while taking my pulse, then change the subject to how to best utilize the warm up time, and watch the pulse sky rocket! I'm at a loss, I don't know how to make the nerves go away (even now, I'm starting to feel my pulse go up.) I know I can do the moves. I've taken tests before and know what the sessions are like. I know that there are ZERO stakes in this test, so it doesn't matter either way. I even am trying to think of it as a critique instead of a test, so that it really doesn't matter, but as much as my brain thinks all that, my body disagrees and is thinking "if I don't pass this I'm never going to go to the olympics".

dbny
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Also thrilled that this weekend I found the Circo leggings back in stock at Target. They are WAY longer than the ones from last year, and a different material. These have a more flattering fit, and while I don't need the length, now I can tuck them under the heel of my boot to lengthen my leg line (last years only came to my ankles). I bought the only 2 they had, and will go look for more today! Got to love $5 skatewear.

Wow! Thanks for the info. A Target just opened in walking distance from my house. Will go over and see if they have any of those. I've been wearing Moret, which are $19 at Modell's.

My biggest concern: nerves. The test schedule came out, and I swear my heart rate doubled just reading it. My coach is VERY upset with me for the amount of nerves I'm having, I think she thinks I'm doing it on purpose and psyching myself out. Problem is, my head knows there is nothing to worry about, but the physiological response doesn't agree with that.

If you can't make the physical response go away, maybe you can learn to skate with it. I prepare for testing by doing run throughs while imagining that it's the actual test, so I get the nerves going on purpose.

Jumping out of bed:
My first lesson of the season wasn't bad at all. To my surprise, my coach started with FXO's, which got compliments and the tip that my push under on my good side is not complete - fixed it right away. Towards the end of the lesson, a young adult skater who is still quite a beginner did a spiral, which I commented on - "pretty good!" So, of course, coach had me do them too. I explained my new problem with the stretches first. On the R, I got my free leg high enough, and just a tad low on the L. Coach also said mine were much better than the other skater's (not that I care, but in order to let me know what I was doing right) because my form was better, with arched back, etc. There is hope!

Snooze:
Could not spin at all! Coach thinks my problem checking FO threes may be slack abdominal muscles. That would be good news, because I can work with it. F power XO's felt OK, a bit slow, and I tipped F on one, which was scary. DH video'ed, and I looked even slower than I felt and too tentative. I was doing them with some deliberation on purpose - but still!

flo
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Snooze? I love snoozing.

Had a very enjoyable couple of practices and we even had a chance to meet up with our coach - first time since our home rink was closed. We now actually have an ending to our program.

ibreakhearts66
09-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Jumping out of Bed
Had a decent skate today. Jumps were pretty good. 2loop 2loops weren't too bad. 2lutzes were, dare i say, borderline consistent! 2flips were pretty good too. I still sit down on them more often than I should, but I'm getting better about it.

I think that I've gotten better, in general, about fighting for the landings of my jumps. I used to fall more often than not on those 50/50 jumps where you could land it if you really tried. It kind of hurts sometimes to fight for those landings, as it puts a lot of pressure on my knee/hip to stand up when the rest of my body wants to fall, but I'm glad I'm doing it.

My coaches agreed to let me test my pre-juv MIF and FS October 17 8O Right now the test session is scheduled for 6:15 AM though--I definitely will NOT be jumping out of bed. Anyways, my moves coach said she thinks it is definitely do-able. My primary coach also said that it isn't unrealistic for me to hope to test Juv in mid-Novemeber. So hopefully I'll be moving right along with these tests.

Snooze button
I wish I could test my moves on an olympic sized rink! I'm fairly tall (5'6, looooong legs), and fairly powerful when I do moves, so it's just so stressful. On the pre-juv crossovers, I have to place my lobes just so or I run out of room on the ends. I also have to place my lobes perfectly on the 3s or, again, I run out of room.

Hurt my wrist today. I landed a 2flip in someone's lutz tap. That made me fall pretty hard. The mark was quite funny though--a missing chunk of ice with an edge coming out of it.

doubletoe
09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Snooze button
I wish I could test my moves on an olympic sized rink! I'm fairly tall (5'6, looooong legs), and fairly powerful when I do moves, so it's just so stressful. On the pre-juv crossovers, I have to place my lobes just so or I run out of room on the ends. I also have to place my lobes perfectly on the 3s or, again, I run out of room.

Test at Paramount! That's what I do now, precisely for that reason. It's an Olympic sized rink and the ice never gets rock hard, even in the mornings. I'll give you all the info if you PM me.

Isk8NYC
09-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Tried to push the Snooze button this morning at 4am, but one of the twins woke me. They wanted to be early for their 6am lessons, and they were. They had time to stretch, jump rope, and warm up.

Jumping Out of Bed:
I was able to stop on my freshly-sharpened skates with no problem.
MITF were okay; too sleepy to do spiral sequences.
Back outside threes are under control. Now to do them on pattern.
FO Brackets were good; still can't get the hang of those FBFB Brackets. I so want to be able to do those well.

Pushing the Snooze Button:
Spins are off-center. I think it's because I changed my blades' ROH from 3/8" to 1/2" - every entrance was skidded.
The three turn patterns were okay, very few touchdowns, but the threes themselves are sloppy and scraped.

Didn't try any jumps other than Waltz jumps; they were okay.

Rusty Blades
09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Pushing the snooze button? I should have!

Dog-tired today, no zip. Did a bit of everything and called it a day.

Jumping out of bed? We'll try that Tuesday!

Isk8NYC
09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Also thrilled that this weekend I found the Circo leggings back in stock at Target. <snip> Got to love $5 skatewear.[quote]Thanks for the tip - I have other shopping to do and two Target stores nearby, so I'll grab a few for the kids.

[quote]I was able to cross my leg a few times, but not many, and on one of them I stabbed myself and have a 2 inch cut on my leg. Are you dropping/pushing open your free hip when you try to cross? that'll make you wobble just enough to stab yourself. (I have an old scar from just that!) Try to keep your free knee in front of you - if it goes out to the side, you'll drop your hip. Also - practice doing fully open backspins with the free leg extended to the front - it builds up the hip muscle control.

I feel it more when I jump - I always feel like I'm going to kick myself if I try to cross my legs in the jump, or even keep that free foot in front of the other shin. (Have to try shin guards on the skating/landing leg, lol)

momsk8er
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Pushing the snooze button too much lately. Ugh. I feel so draggy, and my skating shows it.

doubletoe
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Are you dropping/pushing open your free hip when you try to cross? that'll make you wobble just enough to stab yourself. (I have an old scar from just that!) Try to keep your free knee in front of you - if it goes out to the side, you'll drop your hip. Also - practice doing fully open backspins with the free leg extended to the front - it builds up the hip muscle control.

I feel it more when I jump - I always feel like I'm going to kick myself if I try to cross my legs in the jump, or even keep that free foot in front of the other shin. (Have to try shin guards on the skating/landing leg, lol)

Agreed. Both in backspins and air rotation positions, I find that it doesn't work to try to cross my free leg in front of my skating leg. Instead, it works best when I focus on leaving my free leg in place and turning my skating hip in to face the free leg. Once you've done that, you just pull it in so the calf of the free leg touches the shin of the skating/landing leg.

jazzpants
09-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Jumping Out of Bed:
Well, at the VERY LEAST, I'm now getting in the full 30 minute lesson with my choreographer! :P :lol: :giveup:

Still not perfect yet... the loop jump is inconsistent with the entry that I'm doing for this program. Then again, it could very well be that it's b/c I'm TIRED and ASLEEP that I'm not landing my loop too!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Nah, the choreographer is right! When I'm doing it in program, I don't land it. When I'm doing the loop on its own, I almost ALWAYS land it!!! So who am I kiddin' :giveup:)

My home rink reopening date has been pushed back YET again!!! It's now Monday at noon!!! :frus: Need lots of prayers/white light/Parlor mojo for this rink to stay on schedule for reopening, since ISI Adult Champs is coming up in JUST a couple of weeks and we really can't afford any more delays... 8O

Isk8NYC
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Agreed. Both in backspins and air rotation positions, I find that it doesn't work to try to cross my free leg in front of my skating leg. Instead, it works best when I focus on leaving my free leg in place and turning my skating hip in to face the free leg. Once you've done that, you just pull it in so the calf of the free leg touches the shin of the skating/landing leg.
I'm going to try that, thanks.

flo
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Skittl1321

"Also thrilled that this weekend I found the Circo leggings back in stock at Target. They are WAY longer than the ones from last year, and a different material. These have a more flattering fit, and while I don't need the length, now I can tuck them under the heel of my boot to lengthen my leg line (last years only came to my ankles). I bought the only 2 they had, and will go look for more today! Got to love $5 skatewear."

I love these, and get them in the seasonal styles. I saw the new halloween ones, and am going to grab a pair of the thin stripes. I've always found them here in full length, but I don't need that much length, so the kids fit me.

Skittl1321
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I love these, and get them in the seasonal styles. I saw the new halloween ones, and am going to grab a pair of the thin stripes. I've always found them here in full length, but I don't need that much length, so the kids fit me.

I get the kids ones too. I don't have the confidence to skate in candy corn or striped leggings, no matter how cute they are though. Thumbs up to you! (I did think about getting pink ones, because I have lots of black tops, but decided I'd rather be in all black then have a pink butt.)

Thanks for the backspin tips. I did it more "pulling in" my leg, then trying to wrap my leg, and I think about turning my skating hip, rather than turning my free leg, but when I'm actually skating I'm totally unaware of anything my body is doing, so who knows what I actually did. The gash is now surrounded by a nice bruise, so I hit myself pretty hard, apparently.

dbny
09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Another one here who is snoozing today. Was awoken at 11:15 by a student wanting to schedule lessons, so I had to pay attention. Was going to go practice today, but have no zip at all, and hips hurt too much after yesterday's lackluster practice.

Jumping Out of Bed:
BO figure eights were actually pretty good yesterday! Problem rotating and hooking the edge in on LBO is fixed, at least for now. F cross strokes were ripping as usual.

Snoozing:
Freaked myself out on a LFI three turn, which is always my better one. I just didn't feel confident or energetic yesterday and had to drag myself to the rink and force myself to practice a few things. This one is a combo of good and bad: showed an adult skater who has only done dance the alt FO three pattern. He couldn't check the threes either, and really got hooked by it - and finally was checking the RFO! Good because I taught someone something new, and bad because he can do it and I still can't :frus:!

FlyAndCrash
09-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Snooze: I was going to skate this morning, but turned off the alarm instead. I didn't even try to hit the snooze. Hehe.

Jumping: I did make it to the rink for the afternoon session. The coach looked at my jumps, pretty much up to my lutz. My salchow feels so weird. I didn't have great technique to start with (I hate hate hate salchows, and I definately hate singles more than doubles.), but she changed a few things and it got better. But she insisted that all my jumps were "presented" and "powerful." I'm just not used to doing that on a regular basis. Like my regular coach, she said that I look like "a completely different skater" when I put effort into it.

Snooze: I was accused of waddling. My regular coach says this too. Whenever I start skating away after hearing something to do an element, the first three or so strokes are waddled (I push out instead of back), and I guess it doesn't look pretty...

Jumping: I did a complete run-thru of my program with the music. It mostly worked: I didn't have any major mistakes, but my jumps could have been better. The coach is going to help me re-work some of the footwork to make it more challenging though. 8O

Skittl1321
09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Jumping Up and Down on the Bed! After my practice test run through yesterday (during which I was so exhausted, I considered stopping the mohawk pattern after one side) I got a compliment from another skater on my 5-step mohawk, and on my mohawks in particular. He said they were "so quick" and the patterned flowed really well. Anyone who knows how much I struggle with mohawks will know that this meant a TON to me!

Jumping out of Bed Had a much better skate yesterday then I did on Wednesday. The 30 minute lesson was probably the most exhausting one I have had. But my coach was very complimentary about all my moves. As long as I do the 3-turns, and really push on the backward crossover stroking I should pass!

Pushing the Snooze Button I have no stamina! My legs were so tired at the end of the 30 minutes that I could barely move. I managed to complete the test again, but seriously had jelly legs. I have spots where I breathe in the patterns, but even with that I'm SO out of breath halfway through the test, if I don't remember to take a couple of seconds to breathe before my 4th move the power really suffers.

I totally pushed the snooze button this morning. I had the alarm set for 5 to go to the gym, and when it went off, I reset it for 6:30. No gym for me. No wonder I'm in the shape I'm in.

jskater49
09-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Snoozing

Moves class is getting to be very challenging. There are only two other girls who are working on novice moves. The coach adapts the excersizes to my level....but still ...very challenging. Inside slide chasses - with the mohawk, back 3 turn, slips...well I can't even do a decent two foot backward turn.. Then we did change edges....my second edge is always this little bitty circle....then back loops. What a joke. I only got as far as the push off....insides are easier because I can't even get my foot behind my leg fo the push for the outside back loops.

Jumping out of bed

Things got better when we had my lesson and we put together my spins program ...which I am only doing since Skaterbird is promising to come and is doing spins. So coach says "Well let's have a theme." For a spins program? "Sure. I'm thinking 42nd st" Okay...so the theme of my spins program is 42nd street. Lots of jazz hands, toe taps, kick swing rolls for the inbetween moves. Might as well have a theme, Lord knows I can't spin worth beans....

j

Morgail
09-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Jumping out of Bed:

-I have electricity again!!!!!!!!! :D I think I'll celebrate by going skating and then coming home to take a shower with the lights on. And I might even blow dry my hair afterwards. :lol: (Last Sunday's Ike winds blew over enough trees and power lines to cut off electric to 3/4 of the city. It's been a long week!)

-Flying camels yesterday were great. They actually flew and I didn't collapse. I even pulled a few into backspins.

-I love the Gold slide chasse pattern. It's so much fun.

-Lutz was really good yesterday, too.

-Coach fixed my camel, yet again. I wish I could just get the darn thing to stay good for more than a week.

-Axel tries were good. I put more effort into the take-off.

Snooze:

-Seasonal rink was due to open today, but they lost power for several days too, which means the brand new ice melted. :cry:

-I don't like LFI 3s. My body does not like to turn that way. I can do every other 3-turn well, except that one.

-Brackets weren't good, either. Hopefully they will be better today.

Isk8NYC
09-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Free advice is overpriced...Practice spinning CW, on- and off-ice. Even a two-foot spin will get you more used to turning that way for the 3-turns.

RachelSk8er
09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Pushing the snooze button: Wish I had today. Still getting over being sick earlier this week, and after a KILLER gym workout with my trainer on Thursday, my legs are still killing me. I can hardly walk. Mostly my hamstrings and adductors (the muscles we are working to strenthen to help my knee problems go away). I did manage to tough it out the whole two hours, but wasn't able to work as hard as I normally do on Saturday morning sessions. Jumps were lousy. Spins were lousy. Ran my test program for Tuesday and it would have passed, I would have had to reskate my combo spin because that was pretty bad but otherwise it was good. Changed my jumps around a bit--took out my lutz loop (lutzes are making me mad right now) and changed it to a flip loop, since I don't need a lutz on silver free anyway. Then changed my flip/half loop/sal to a toe loop/half loop/sal for the jump sequence so I'm not doing 3 flip jumps.

Jumping out of Bed: Session wasn't crowded whatsoever, must be a competition somewhere today everyone is at...it was myself, a novice dance team, and 3 other teenage skaters who are all roughly on the same dances, moves and somewhat the same free as me (they're testing juv free this week and don't really compete so the most they do is an axel and maybe a double toe). So it was a pretty nice day, with us all basically working on the same things staying out of each others way worked well.

Actually did some nice patterns of the tango, blues and, paso, and worked out the pattern for the Viennese a bit now that I have the steps down and don't get them mixed up any more. Need to work out the second half of the starlight pattern, that's kind of blah (the mohawk/swing rolls after the first end pattern) but other than that section, the rest of the dance isn't bad. Except my legs were hurting so badly that I'd do one really strong pattern of everything and then the second pattern was usually not as good.

momsk8er
09-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Jumping out of bed: my coach was so kind today (after he teased me about not knowing who I was, because I hadn't had a lesson in so long), he complimented me on my sal and said my skating was improving. I haven't really been feeling that, since its been so hard to get back to where I was before the summer after taking off just two weeks.

Snoozing: still don't have much stamina, and I told my coach no use even looking at my moves yet, they are way too slow. Need to get back to the gym, it is amazing how gong backwards on the precor really helps the back crossovers. I have not done that in several weeks now, and I need it.

Kim to the Max
09-20-2008, 03:35 PM
This is a general comment about the last few days skating....

[Jumping out of Bed]
Moves are getting better.
Spins are getting stronger and faster.

Went on a retreat today with some of my students and one of my RAs let it slip that I skate and now the students want to see me....

[Pushing the Snooze Button]
Coach and I finally worked on axels a bit. She got me on the freaking harness, which wasn't horrible, but not my favorite thing in the world. To say that I am frustrated with that jump is the understatement of the year. I don't know how to fix what I am doing :( In some ways I may need to take a step back from them, but on the other hand I feel as if I need to just keep trying. I wish coach and I would work on freestyle more often because we do work on moves A LOT, which is fine because I have a real chance to get my senior moves, but I do need to work on freestyle...and what is going to hinder this even more is that come October, my lesson is going to be reduced to 30 minutes a week from 45.

My footwork in my program needs to be much, much, much quicker...

celticprincess
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Lets see...

Jumping out of bed:
-Brackets are getting so much better. Im really starting to get a hang of them. I was able to do them in a 3turn combo..which wasn't all that bad.
-Power threes are getting powerful..hehe. :lol:
-Made up a cool spiral combo from shoot the duck, front spiral(?), three turn back beilman into a hydro blade. Idealisticly thats what I want to do with more grace and flow. Its alittle choppy, but it's created.
-Very nice scratch spins today...I like pushing my arms over my head. I tend to get quite alot of revolutions.
-Sit spins are getting better. I worked on keeping my leg straight which for the most part was working.
-SPIN OF THE DAY goes to.... :bow:sit change back sit:bow:. I was actually not falling over on my backsit. In fact on one I was able to hold for alittle while and pull up into a back scratch..hooray:D:
-Worked so diligently on the camel, yet I did have a few good ones out of the 50 I tried.:roll:
-All jumps...including my flip who has been on vacation all summer, but decided to return to me again. I some really good ones. Loop was behaving as was Lutz and combos involving it. Welcome back flip!!
-I faced my fear and debuted my modernesque artistic programme!!!! It wasn't all that bad, all the key elements were in there, however at times due to people in my way I wasn't able to do certain elements and was alittle behind with the music. But for a first attempt I think it went very well.
-Started my light entertainment programme without music. Its so much fun so far. I call it 'Evolution', basicly it's the evolution of music through the decades. I mostly worked on the fifties chunk which is to 'Happy Days' and will involve holding a fake record and a something involving a poodle skirt. I can't wait to try this one with music8-)
-Used time really wisely..I split the session up into half hour intervals...half hour for moves/warmup, half hour for spins, half for jumps, and half for programmes or other stuff that needs work.

Pushing the Snooze Button :twisted:
-Camel spins- I keep going on my toe and not getting revolutions. Its very frusterating.
-Heh, during my spin interval..I must have gotten so dizzy that when I was doing a lay back I fell right onto my knees...which didn't hurt at all.
-Then after doing a lovely combo involving attitude to broken leg, to back spin..I stepped out of it, pause and then down I went. I was sitting on the ice like wtf. :frus:
-I had alot of falls involving spins today..not just due to dizziness, but balance and centering crap.
-Reached alittle too far back on a lutz attempt and well.....slipped :oops:

Yeah thats about it. It was a fairly good practice and Im glad I finally put my modern programme on the ice.

singerskates
09-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure when we have power threes on a Canadian Skills test but I'm working on the Preliminary Waltzing 3's pattern, the Waltzing Mohawks Pattern, edges and crosscuts. I'm hoping that I still get to do these with music if I chose to use music. Then I can keep my brain off of everything that moves Clockwise which feels so un-natural to me. If I think about doing LFI 3's (RFO's are OK now) and LFI op Mo, my brain and body freeze up on me.

With the Watlzing Mohawks, I'm at the stage where I have to slow down when doing the LFI Mohawks which is part of the second half. It's so easy to do the first half but then the second I have to work on memorizing. I'm at a loss as to what to do on the ends. One thing that I missed when playing around with the Prelim Mohawk Skill on my own from reading the pattern was the change of edge on the step after the Mohawk. I hadn't realized that there was one. But then this past week was the very first official lesson on skills for me.

As for the Waltzing 3's Pattern we didn't really work on it on Wednesday. Didn't see coach on Thursday because of City Ice time change while I was in Chicago which I didn't know about. And Friday, I don't know why he wasn't there. All we did with the Watlzing 3's was do a few alternating 3's with a few steps in between and moved on.

My biggist problem with the skills is the Right Back Edge with my free foot in front because I keep hitting my toe pick. It wasn't like this during summer school but then I wasn't checking out what I was doing because I wasn't doing anything new.

Coach was at first going to skip a whole bunch of things with skills but then I told him that I wanted to do the skills tests so that one day I could become a coach and choreographer. Believe me, I need lots of practice before that happens.

I'm so curious as to what the differences are between the US Adult Bronze Moves in the Field to our Canadian Preliminary Skills other than that we use to have to do ours set to music? ; now it's optional.

ibreakhearts66
09-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Jumping out of bed
-ALMOST have 2flip 2loop. this is a big deal for me because I struggle with 2flip. I actually think adding the 2loop helps me. I had a bunch landed, but put my hand down or stepped out of the landing.
-Landed the first few 2lutzes I tried.
-Did a Biellman where I actually got both hands on the blade. Killed my back though.

Snooze Button
-Not much really. I didn't skate for very long, so I guess I didn't have time to mess too many things up. I guess the only bad thing that happened today is that I decided on a schedule for lessons. I'll have lessons with my main coach monday, jump coach tuesday and moves/dance/anything else that needs work Wednesday. Intense start to the week. But at the same time, it'll be nice. I think.

CanadianAdult
09-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm so curious as to what the differences are between the US Adult Bronze Moves in the Field to our Canadian Preliminary Skills other than that we use to have to do ours set to music? ; now it's optional.

Off the top of my head, the US has 5 exercises and Canada has 3. :P

The US MITF power 3 turns is very similar to Waltzing threes. One lobe is a turn (mohawks/threes), the other is a crosscut lobe.

Edited: I meant to say waltzing mohawks!!! I only do them every day, geez....

ibreakhearts66
09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
(snip)

[Pushing the Snooze Button]
Coach and I finally worked on axels a bit. She got me on the freaking harness, which wasn't horrible, but not my favorite thing in the world. To say that I am frustrated with that jump is the understatement of the year. I don't know how to fix what I am doing :( In some ways I may need to take a step back from them, but on the other hand I feel as if I need to just keep trying. I wish coach and I would work on freestyle more often because we do work on moves A LOT, which is fine because I have a real chance to get my senior moves, but I do need to work on freestyle...and what is going to hinder this even more is that come October, my lesson is going to be reduced to 30 minutes a week from 45.

My footwork in my program needs to be much, much, much quicker...

For your axel, maybe try doing a lot of off-ice work on them. That's what helped me a ton. It helps you to understand the rotation and the feeling behind it better.

kander
09-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Pushing the snooze button (and throwing the alarm clock out the window): The curse of Bridgepointe strikes again. No matter how good I'm skating I always have a horrible skate at the San Mateo rink. I couldn't do anything and the bad mojo carried over to todays skate :x:cry:. There was a cute girl I wanted to impress with my skating prowess and instead I splatted all over the place.

Jumping out of bed: jumping back into bed and pulling the covers over my head.

Mrs Redboots
09-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Jumping out of bed: Good lesson today; a much better skate than on Wednesday.

Pressing the snooze button: Husband's flip. And our couples' spin wasn't as good as it ought to be.

Bill_S
09-21-2008, 09:05 AM
A bit of recent past here, but better late than never.

Tuesday Snoozefest: It was almost all snooze. I couldn't get into the ice - still getting over being mostly off-ice since early April. As time went by during Tuesday's session, I got worse and worse. By the end of the session, I couldn't even get into a forward scratch.

Thursday's Jumping out of Bed: What a difference a couple days makes! I did much better. Some nice spins (but I still need improvement to match last year's quality), decent footwork, but I didn't attempt any jumps. I'm at the point where they just don't appeal much to me anymore. Why beat myself up?

Friday - Turned off the alarm: I didn't make it to the skating session. I was working on a project for the university that involved woodworking, and I must have ingested too much sawdust and MDF dust. The breathing filter must have let it slip by because I've been hacking and wheezing since Friday. I felt ill. Today it feels like a chest cold, but I suppose having a cold caught at the same time would be too improbable. Or not. I don't know, but I'm miserable still today.

Jumping out of bed in anticipation of late November: WOO HOO! A nearby town (20-minute drive) has announced plans to set up an outdoor ice rink for the holiday season. It will be located in the scenic town square.

This represents a chance to get back to my skating roots - outdoor ice skating! I can't wait!

Skate@Delaware
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Jumping out of bed? not really...actually more like rolling and thinking about cancelling today's lesson I hurt so bad today! I had major cramps in my left leg last night-cause unknown! For the past few nights I have been sleeping poorly. I think tonight might be a pain pill night.

But being the trooper I am I went to lesson and plucked along. Glad I did as it was ok, really. Once I warmed up we working on things we hit last week (again).

Had a minor tumble when I tried to loop (and it was good until that point) as the heel of my blade caught my pants and I went down on all fours! This is officially my first fall since returning (since my surgery). I'm ok, I was just a little shaken. After that I could not loop....

Still fighting balance issues (related to body alignment) but once I was out of lesson and worked on the spin entrance, I managed to get a few rotations in one spot only if I pushed my upper body waaaay back (felt way back anyway), just like doing a layback I would imagine. Next time I practice I will play around with leg position and try to not raise my hip....There has to be a magic combination.

Salchows were good today, toe-loops are playing nice. Did not backspin.

Point: from now on I'm not wearing those pants 8O I'll wear leggings instead!

CanadianAdult
09-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Jumping out of bed:

I can do all four backwards loops and can do one of the forward outside ones, my spin side one. I can't get enough power to do them on a loop figure as there's very little flow but they're are doing exactly what they are supposed to, which is improving my change edge on spins. (all you figure lovers, take a bow, of course figures are the foundation of everything)

most of the rest of it :P I have a nasty case of lace bite so have put the ankle jellies back on.

Bill_S
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

I HATE it when my blades get tangled in my trouser legs! BOOM!

Unfortunately, leggings wouldn't be a good solution for me. I'd be...um... self-conscious, to say the least.

ibreakhearts66
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Ahh, but see, if you are anything like me, you will manage to get your heel stuck in even the leggings. I did that about a year ago coming out of a double sal. I was wearing a pair of savvy skater pants that you pull over the heel, so they're skin-tight. I still managed to catch my blade right above my boot. I fell hard AND ripped the pants!

Skate@Delaware
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I HATE it when my blades get tangled in my trouser legs! BOOM!

Unfortunately, leggings wouldn't be a good solution for me. I'd be...um... self-conscious, to say the least.
HA! HA! I get what you are saying! I sort of do have the figure for it so I'm ok with it. And if anyone doesn't like it, I'll HIP-CHECK THEM!!!:twisted:
Ahh, but see, if you are anything like me, you will manage to get your heel stuck in even the leggings. I did that about a year ago coming out of a double sal. I was wearing a pair of savvy skater pants that you pull over the heel, so they're skin-tight. I still managed to catch my blade right above my boot. I fell hard AND ripped the pants!
Oh yes, my coach and I both agreed-I am a walking accident! My last pair of leggings are ripped to shreds from all my previous backspin attempts...from catching the heel of my blade!

But having flares (they are straight but feel like flares) are just an invitation to danger! ... see Bill's response above for clarification!

RachelSk8er
09-22-2008, 06:31 AM

Same here. I've come to realize that it doesn't matter what I wear. Pants, tight leggings, tights and a dress....somehow I'll manage to get caught in them and if I don't injure myself that way, then I'll just do something else stupid like trip over my toepicks and slam down on my kneecaps.