View Full Version : Need someone who knows IceWorks rink very well

stacyf419
09-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi - if someone is very familiar with the layout, etc. of IceWorks rink in Aston, PA, can you PM me? I have a few questions about some handicapped members of my family. Thanks!

Virtualsk8r
09-11-2008, 07:33 PM
If no one here answers you, I would suggest checking the rink's website. There should information on how to contact the rink...and you can then ask them the questions.

Debbie S
09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
If this is about the Halloween Classic, I'm not sure what to tell you. I assume that this year, like in past years, the comp will be on Rink 2. If you enter the rink through the lobby at the Rink 1/2 entrance, then you have a few feet before about 5 steps that go down into the rink area. If by "handicapped", you mean wheelchair, you're out of luck. There is an entrance to Rink 2 from the other side - off of Rink 3, but you will need to walk up steps from Rink 3 to the door to Rink 2.

Handicapped accessibility is a federal law, so there must be a way to get people in, but it probably involves services entrances and a back way in - I would suggest contacting the skating director at the rink and asking about special arrangements.

However, the rink's snack bar area is accessible from the 1/2 lobby and it is up a ramp, and has windows overlooking the rink, so that might be your best bet. And it's really, really cold in the rink - I'm not sure your relatives would want to sit there for an extended period of time, to be honest.

phillyskater
09-14-2008, 05:55 AM
[QUOTE=Debbie S;375135]I assume that this year, like in past years, the comp will be on Rink 2. If you enter the rink through the lobby at the Rink 1/2 entrance, then you have a few feet before about 5 steps that go down into the rink area. If by "handicapped", you mean wheelchair, you're out of luck.
QUOTE]

Actually, there is a ramp into Rink 2. The rink is very handicap-accessible, both for rinkside seating, and seating in the cafe area which overlooks rinks 1 and 2.

Debbie S
09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Actually, there is a ramp into Rink 2. Ooops, you're right, phillyskater - I forgot about the ramp that runs along the wall - my apologies.

I still think the best bet is to watch from the snack bar, though. It is just so cold in the rink at that time of year, even with the coin-operated heaters on.

stacyf419
09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Many thanks for the info, everyone!