View Full Version : What do you like to do off-ice?

FSWer
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Say I was wondeing what all our On-ice Skaters interest here are off-ice? As a skater myself. Off the ice I like to surf the Net,chat with my Internet friends,read,swim,as well as other things. Ok fellow skaters.....GO!!!!!

Bill_S
09-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I skate on PIC skates once per week at the roller rink, I do a lot of photography, listen to classical, jazz, and world music on homebuilt loudspeakers, and do some woodworking.

I am currently taking a ballroom dance class, but if it weren't for SWMBO, I'd probably not.

Isk8NYC
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I swim, fool around on the computer, watch Science Fiction TV shows (not the gory ones) and I love to sew.

Right now, my free time involves unpacking boxes and trying to organize the new house.

patatty
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I just took up tennis again. I played a lot as a kid, and now I'm in a mixed doubles clinic. Like skating, it's another excuse to buy cute costumes! (Fortunately, tennis clothes are a little more forgiving for adult figures than most skating dresses!)

Rusty Blades
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Being up at 4 a.m. every day, skating, working full time, and trying to keep a household together I would say my favorite off-ice pass-time is

SLEEP!

celticprincess
09-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Lets see what do I like to do off ice...definatly acting, dance, listen to music, play music, working on creating a literary(sp?) masterpiece..haha. Im very into the creative arts and activities. I also like swiming, watching DVDs, reading, doing skating jumps in my house and annoying everyone, meeting new people, fancy parties....so much more. :D

smelltheice
09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I think in my case it is more the things I would like to be doing as opposed to actually doing. I actually watch certain tv shows (stargate atlantis, NCIS (love Abby), and the unit) I do enjoy making things like radio control models but I currently do a job where I am doing DIY all day long so don't really have the inclination to pick up tools when I am at home but hopefully, all that changing soon with new job, new pair girl and new home.

jazzpants
09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Being up at 4 a.m. every day, skating, working full time, and trying to keep a household together I would say my favorite off-ice pass-time is

SLEEP!HERE HERE!!! ME TOO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(And I have to sleep early tonight b/c I have a 7:30 AYEM lesson with my choreographer and possibly a lesson with my secondary coach.

Who knows about my primary coach though. He doesn't seemed anxious about giving lessons this week to me so I'm not gonna push it. :P

kander
09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Go to movies, go to the gym, eat out. And once or twice a year go to Las Vegas.

airyfairy76
09-11-2008, 04:51 AM
Oooh, lots of things.

Crafty stuff like embroidery and knitting (although I am not a very good knitter). I'm currently knitting Bagpuss themed legwarmers for my coach - pink and white and fluffy :)

Yoga in varying degrees - used to go to classes, but skating more now so not enough time and money!

I like cooking - I've been making quite a lot of cakes recently. I've even been commissioned a couple of times :D

Movies, eating out etc. And playing on my new Wii console :lol: And I read a lot too. But working full time, and skating four days a week doesn't leave much time for doing other things!

And of course, spending time online . . . 8O

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Sleep, knit, read, make soap, surf the Net....

Sessy
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Crossbow shooting, firearms, martial arts, sewing, costume-making, painting, dancing.

momsk8er
09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Driving dd and her friends around seems to be my main activity outside of work and skating. Also I'm a Girl Scout leader, and I'm into the outdoors - camping, hiking, kayaking, skiing, etc. I cook, I do the laundy and mow the lawn and various other things around the house. I also do a yoga class twice a week; I try to do some yoga on my own every day. I also spend time doing things for the skating club. I like to read. I chat on line with you folks a bit. When I'm too tired to do anything else I play computer games.

techskater
09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Archery, kickboxing, running, (I guess I should say I have to work in there too), cooking, dog agility.

jazzpants
09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
But I like my time on ice. I don't wanna get off the ice! :twisted: :P :lol:

Surfing the net, music (when I have the time), amateur restaurant critic, dancing

AgnesNitt
09-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Jazzercise, weight training, horseback riding, dog training.

sk8lady
09-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Kayaking; reading; belly dance; watching my kid play hockey and soccer; sewing; knitting; playing scrabble online.

Morgail
09-12-2008, 09:13 PM
-Writing middle grade/tween fiction, revising it like crazy, and hoping to find an agent
-reading (obviously, given the first interest) & bookcrossing (www.bookcrossing.com)
-watching junk tv
-watching DVDs of tv shows with my husband (we're in season 3 of Weeds right now)
-making scrapbooks and photo albums
-gardening (though you wouldn't know it from the current state of my yard)
-watching skating videos on the internet, and reading about skating on the internet
-sudoku
-eating out
-trying to keep up with the daily newspaper
-planning the vacations we'll take when we can afford them :lol: (actually started saving for an Alaskan cruise)
-entertaining my cats

TiggerTooSkates
09-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes, even though I'm 35, I have a huge American Girl Doll collection. It's not something I really tell many people.

I also sing - I sang the National Anthem for former Secretary of Defense William Cohen and a bunch of other bigwigs at the air base in Saudi Arabia when I was in the Air Force. I was also on the front page of the base newspaper - apparently the general (a friend of mine worked in the base Public Affairs office at the time) said to put me on the front because he thought I was the highlight of the night at the base talent show! Given the singing, it's probably not hard to guess that music is a big part of my life, and I have my laptop crammed with stuff from both iTunes and the tons of CDs we both still have. iTunes is a guilty pleasure; I have to be careful with what goes in my shopping cart...or I'll spend twenty bucks a pop!

I love to read, and we do a fair amount of traveling (although not as much as we used to). I piddle in writing as well. I'm addicted to YouTube - skating videos are of course a favorite!

TimDavidSkate
09-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Eat & watch skating :halo:

kayskate
09-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Jogging, aerobics, walking, reading, sewing, playing w my 10 cats.

Kay

JazzySkate
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Sewing
Painting
Photography
Surf the net
Watching old skating videos of the Pros, i.e. the old NutraSweets
Reading instructional books on skating techniques
I'm a railroad buff, especially the old ErieLack (Erie Lakawanna) Line, now the Port Jervis line in NJ/NY
Hiking
Exercise, especially to dance music
Taking voice-over workshops
Any Buffet restaurant
(when televised) - So You Think You can Dance & Dancing W/T Stars
Dance - love Salsa
Reading
Astronomy and Astrology
Sometimes will create choreographic moves while listening to my IPod

Skate@Delaware
09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
This is a busy time of year for me. When I'm not working or shuttling my son around to where he needs to go I'm at class (college) or the rink or at belly dance class or (egads!) out hunting!

Then the two of us hit the gym and workout-my son makes a great workout partner (and that way I can make sure he actually works out instead of cheating).

And reading, practicing my archery, sewing, fletching arrows, cutting music, keeping up with my websites (I'm a webmaster for several), etc.

and sleeping!!!!

hanca
09-22-2008, 03:52 PM
What do I do off ice? Not much really. Eat, work and sleep.

I wake up at 5am and go skating. I skate 6-8am six times a week. Then I go quickly home, take a shower and at 9am I am at work. From work I get home at 8 or 9 pm and after having shower I look for a short while on internet, check my emails and go to bed. Twice a week I added gymnastics in the evenings (leaving work slightly earlier), but from gymnastics I again get home at 9pm, so again - shower and bed. On Friday, my non skating day, I can sleep longer - till 8am! How lovely.

During weekend, after skating 6-8am I arrive home and usually have no strenght or motivation to do anything else. Watch films, read or sleep. If I ever have spare moment, my priority number one is at the moment sleeping. It sounds so inviting! I remember times when I enjoyed shopping (clothes), but now I find it so boring. I know it sounds so narrow minded, but I can't help myself. Skating is like an addiction. If I don't go skating, I am moody and grumpy. :)