View Full Version : In withdrawal or On a roll (practise thread 8 - 14 Sep)

chowskates
09-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Went to skate again today after... more than 3 weeks. In fact, I've been pretty consistent in finding time to skate once every 3 weeks... Withdrawal symptoms are setting in!

In withdrawal
- flying camel has been hit the worst! can't fly, can't spin... oh well... :frus:
- double Sal and double toe are mostly rotated, but all 2-footed
- Axel didn't seem all that great either, though I did land a few combinations

On a roll - almost nothing today. but wait, ok, ok...
- I did land a few Axel-loop-toe loop combinations
- sit spin combination is still nice, even the backsit is feeling a bit lower
- I actually can change edge in my spiral sequence!

Thinking about reviving an old program, will see how that goes.

~ Chow

katz in boots
09-08-2008, 03:58 AM
On a Roll

I'm jumping again, Wheeeee!
Have to be very careful and not do too many in a session, but it's a start.

In Withdrawal

Of course my timing has gone on some jumps, but I know that will come back.
Why is it my spins didn't get a lot better when I could only do spins & dance?

FlyAndCrash
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
On a Roll: I got up and skated this morning for the first time in two weeks!!! It was my first time that I skated at the school rink (or went in it...), but the girls were all super nice and the coach agreed to look over my moves later today.

In Withdrawal: My spins kinda sucked. My camel came back towards the end, but any attemps at a catch-foot completely flopped. My pancake wasn't all that pretty either. I think I'm too high.

On a Roll: I ran through the program I used for my pre-juv test. I did all the elements, but it was kinda off... I completely forgot the beginning and I felt completely off the music. Oh well. I think I'm going to have someone help me re-choreo parts of it and re-do some of the elements. The layout will probably be the same, but maybe upgrade some of the elements. I also decided I'm buying a new dress!

In Withdrawal: The first comp is in October!!! YAY! But I have no time to get ready. I need to re-work my program in the next month and do tons of run-thrus. And I'm kinda working towards getting my juv moves passed in the next few months, getting music cut for my juv free, and testing that.

On a Roll: I landed a 2sal and an axel today!! WOOHOO!!! Considering how inconsistant my sal is, its a miracle. 8O

flo
09-08-2008, 11:03 AM
On a roll - had a good practice with partner. We're having a fun time with the program - it's a different style for both of us, so we're enjoying playing with it. It's not quite finished yet, but hopefully soon!

momsk8er
09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm mostly in withddrawal, since I have been largely off the ice since July. Skated twice last week and this morning. It's funny that no matter how much I think I've stayed in shape (hiking, kayaking, swimming etc.) skating just uses different muscles than most other activities.

On a roll - how come the first spin I did coming off that long break was perfect? It has been getting progressively worse since.:giveup: My coach would probably say I'm trying too hard. :frus:

doubletoe
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Great to have you back, Chow! :D

I must say when I saw this thread title, I thought someone must have been spying on me all week! I have skated a total of 45 minutes in the past 10 days, putting me squarely in the "In Withdrawal" category. :roll:
I have a lesson tomorrow at 6:30am, though, so I will have no choice but to drag my lazy butt to the rink. . .

LilJen
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Withdrawal: Didn't skate for 10 days prior to yesterday. Allergy symptoms plus new thyroid medication have left me depleted, itchy, runny, ugh!

On a roll: First synchro practice of the season last night. We got a new person for our adult team, yay! Former senior-level skater, double yay! Nice session on both skating basics and on synchro basics.
Practice today: Bronze fwd XOs getting better.

Withdrawal:
-Back XOs still not covering enough ice, but they're at least steadier, and I think I have the basic action down.
-3s are scrapey and I can't quite figure out how to get them less so.
-Back XOs to BO edges kind of wobbly.
-I can do all of a salchow except the actual jump. Figured I'd work on the prep, and I swear I just get stuck there, looking like an idiot, going round and round on my BI edge with the L leg and arm all out there and ready to come in and up . . .
-spin entries suck. I DO need a lengthy spin lesson this week!
-Car died on the way home from last night's synchro practice. Only $1300 to fix the blown gasket etc. . . new car won't be in for 4-6 weeks :giveup:

dbny
09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
-Car died on the way home from last night's synchro practice. Only $1300 to fix the blown gasket etc. . . new car won't be in for 4-6 weeks :giveup:

Ouch! I KWYM, put over 5K into our two cars this summer.

Withdrawal:
Worked from 2:30 to 7:30 yesterday. While it feels good to be on the ice, and I do improve just from teaching, I went home with achy feet and hips, and woke up this morning with a very painful R hip. It hurt to stand and is still aching, though not so bad as first thing this morning. Going to start my prescription NSAID tonight and see if I can knock this thing out before my lesson on Friday. There are no public sessions at my rink M-W this week, and no freestyle till Wed afternoon, so I should be able to rest it a bit. Wish I could figure out if it's something I'm doing.

On a Roll:
Did spiral stretches at table today, and although the sideways stretches still hurt, the actual spiral position does not.

jskater49
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
On a roll - skated an hour and a half today, including power

withdrawal - tried to do the Swing to music and couldn't get on time the whole time - but the good news is there was not a two foot transistion the whole time. Unfortunately I fear I'm going to get good at this nit picky stuff and fail something very basic and crucial - like TIMING.

Pulled out my freestyle music and did my program. I need to work on waltz jumps with my coach again because I'm doing wonky things and it resulted in a hard fall on my knees

on a roll - inside 3 turns are improving...and I tried power pulls on the line and both forward and backward can sort of go across the rink on my left foot - right foot is weaker.

j

dbny
09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
tried to do the Swing to music and couldn't get on time the whole time - but the good news is there was not a two foot transistion the whole time. Unfortunately I fear I'm going to get good at this nit picky stuff and fail something very basic and crucial - like TIMING.
j

Do you count the beats for each stroke? That was how I managed when I was a roller dancer. Counted my way through every dance and can still count any I remember today. For example: 1,2 1 1,2,3 with 1 being the first beat of any stroke. The example could be a chasse in a waltz. Referring to the diagram can be a big help with this. Sorry if you know all of this already.

jazzpants
09-08-2008, 06:53 PM
In withdrawal:

Me... my home rink will probably not open 'til next week! Whatever the problem is with the pipes... it's serious.... 8O Needless to say, the coaches are scrambling to find another place to teach and I'm scrambling to find a BART (http://www.bart.gov/) station where there's parking so I don't have to drive into the rink across the bay... b/c going thru there during rush hour is just AWFUL!!!

Meanwhile, I'm practicing as best I can... 8O (And I swear I will NEVER EVER let myself not have my blades sharpened for more than 3-4 months!!! 8O )

Kim to the Max
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
[On a Roll]
Finally on a somewhat regular schedule. However, skating at 6am is getting rough...at least I have been able to get to bed early.

[In Withdrawl]
I need to pay my ice bill tomorrow...

[On a Roll]
Went through my entire program today and only had to really think about a couple of parts

[In Withdrawl]
The footwork sequence is going to kill me...there is a part that is bracket/bracket/ballet jump/R outside swing roll/R inside twizzle and it is giving me fits...I just need to work on it...

[On a Roll]
I really like my new music and program....it fits me :)

[In Withdrawl]
darn axel....I think part of my problem is that I am not rotating quick enough, which means I am probably not getting enough snap...I am also not staying in long enough...grrrr...I just want to land this freaking jump...why can I not land it??????

jskater49
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Do you count the beats for each stroke? That was how I managed when I was a roller dancer. Counted my way through every dance and can still count any I remember today. For example: 1,2 1 1,2,3 with 1 being the first beat of any stroke. The example could be a chasse in a waltz. Referring to the diagram can be a big help with this. Sorry if you know all of this already.

Doesn't every dancer count?

But it's hard to stay on count...you start thinking about your posture, and your extension, and your edges, and keeping your arms in the right position and then you loose count.

j

Mrs Redboots
09-09-2008, 05:50 AM
In Withdrawal: I'm sure the older ones on this board will sympathise with me when I say that we had to skate without having showered this morning! Not good - I was just about warm and loose when it was time to go home! I think maybe next week, when the water will again be off, I will sit with my wheat bag in the small of my back! We shall see.

On A Roll: I think our hard and serious practice is paying off now; the coaches are back next week just in time to put a final polish on us before Oxford.

Skittl1321
09-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Doesn't every dancer count?

But it's hard to stay on count...you start thinking about your posture, and your extension, and your edges, and keeping your arms in the right position and then you loose count.

j

Every dancers counts, but I've never counted the way DBNY explained. Is that common in ice dance?
I've just started ice dance, but have done other forms of dance my entire life. I always counted each phrase? of the music 1-8, or 1-6. DBNY seems to count each step starting back on one. (Or maybe I misread her suggestion?)

But I agree- it's hard to keep counting when you think about everything else. At least for sycnhro, that's why I count "chasses, 2, 3, 4, look, 6, 7, 8" but so far for dance I'm so worried about the beat I can't add steps or thoughts into the counts yet.

Pgh.Coach
09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Every dancers counts, but I've never counted the way DBNY explained. Is that common in ice dance?
I've just started ice dance, but have done other forms of dance my entire life. I always counted each phrase? of the music 1-8, or 1-6. DBNY seems to count each step starting back on one. (Or maybe I misread her suggestion?)

I teach my dancers to count 1, 2, 3, 4 (repeat starting at 1) or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (repeat starting at 1).

For instance, in a waltz dance that uses back progressives, I have my skaters count 1, 2, 3 on the first back progressive and 4, 5, 6 on the second back progressive. 1, 2, 3 would then begin the next counting and so on. For a tango, on the other hand, I'd have them count 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4...

Then again, to each their own! ;)

Rusty Blades
09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Withdrawl! After a BUSY weekend, the night was cold, the dog was warm, and I was warm curled up under the covers. I DID NOT WANT TO GET UP! :?? The alarm went at 4 a.m. (as usual) - I turned it off but still managed to be on the ice 15 minutes early.

On A Roll C.W. BXO's are still there (thank you Elizabeth Manley! :mrgreen: ) - still working on C.C.W. BXO's. Still getting used to upright spins in "the new position" (also from Liz) - they feel super fast but I still have trouble holding them centred half the time.

Withdrawl! My right ankle and knee have been sore since last week and I am just not feeling strong/secure on the RBO edge. :cry: I PLAN to have a more restful evening and be more alive at the rink tomorrow for lesson with my regular coach.

blue111moon
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
On A Roll: The Cast is OFF!!!!!! :) I have a really ugly knee-high black boot to wear instead but at least it comes off for sleeping and showering. I have some little flexing exericises to do before I start Physical Therapy in a couple weeks. Progress is being made.

In Withdrawal: the season has begun and for the first time in a couple decades, I'm not skating yet.

amcnulty
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
On a roll: Last night was the first class of a new session. I was happy to get back on the ice after 3 weeks off between sessions.

In Withdrawel: I caught my toe pick trying to stop and fell. :oops: As I've only been skating for a little over a month this was my first time falling and boy am I sore today.

On a roll: I did some backwards 1 foot glides.

Not too exciting compared to what many of you are accomplishing, but I am so happy to be learning something. I wish I could have started as a kid instead of 32.

Rusty Blades
09-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I wish I could have started as a kid instead of 32.

I WISH I had stayed at it as a kid instead of quitting and coming back 36 years later! :giveup:

coskater64
09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Withdrawal: Still a month until I can do axels, doubles and flying camels for the first time in almost 2 1/2 years, getting slightly ancy but...I have changed to hinged boots so I am rather skittish about more difficult jumps. We will see what happens in October.

On a roll: Slowly but surely strengthen is starting to return, spinning is getting much better and ice coverage seem to be heading in a good direction. Trying to put my ballet lessons to work while I skate, using my arms to help my line. Still contemplating the word...extension.

Chow...welcome back!!:lol::lol::lol:

doubletoe
09-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I WISH I had stayed at it as a kid instead of quitting and coming back 36 years later! :giveup:

And I'm glad I started at 27 instead of never starting out of fear of being "weird"! :lol:

Trying to put my ballet lessons to work while I skate, using my arms to help my line. Still contemplating the word...extension.

But when YOU get extension. . . world, watch out! Nobody can match it! :D

Kim to the Max
09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
[In Withdrawl]
Freaking axels...I'm not kicking through enough I think and not getting enough snap...it's bad because I can pretty much analyze what is going wrong with my jumps myself...I still hate, Hate, HaTe, HATE axels...

[On a Roll]
I am in love with my new program...I just need to get it polished up...

coskater64
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks doubletoe (aka Lauren) yeah if I get the 34" long legs and the 35" long arms in a single line and add the body...it could be good. Just need to learn how to get it all to work together.

If I had it all to do over again I would have not skated as a teen and started skating in my 20's and skipped the whole hip debacle. 8O8O

kander
09-10-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm scrambling to find a BART (http://www.bart.gov/) station where there's parking so I don't have to drive into the rink across the bay... b/c going thru there during rush hour is just AWFUL!!!

Is there a BART station within walking distance of the Oakland rink? I wouldn't want to be walking around too far in that neighborhood.

Kevin

jazzpants
09-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Is there a BART station within walking distance of the Oakland rink? I wouldn't want to be walking around too far in that neighborhood.

KevinYes, the 19th St. BART... and during the day, it's a busy business section. Kaiser, I believe, is around that area too!

I didn't see you at San Jose tonight! You must have been skating at "Wacko" tonight!!! The old 80 something year old guy was there too, doing his waltz and sal...

On a roll...
My loop is back again!!! :bow:

In withdrawal:
The flip was MIA... and even more ironic!!!

On a Roll:

The LUTZ was there!!! WTF!?!?!? 8O :frus: (I'll take it as a blessing!!! :bow: )
I did a good sit spin and it stayed there. I feel comfortable getting down a little lower later on in the evening knowing that my edges are sticky enough that it would STAY on that edge! :P
Same with the crossovers. (Okay, it's not an "all bad" day!)

Skittl1321
09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
In withdrawal: Zamboni Awareness Month is NOT cool. Apparently it involves leaving the zamboni on the ice, in one of the hockey circles by the door, so that people can take pictures on it. :roll:

There is something wrong with my foot. I have a lot of pain (with pressure) on the 2/3rd metatarsal, near my toes, and it's slightly swollen- though not visibly, just a bit fluid filled, though it's non-pitting. I have ZERO idea what's causing the swelling, but it started Sunday. Even though I wear extremely loose shoes at work, I'm nauseated by the end of the day from the mild pain (pressing on them directly causes sharp pain.) Oddly enough- the skates didn't hurt at all once I got started (the first 10 minutes was awful) so I had an okay skate. But I'm concerned about my feet, because random swelling is not normal. it started sunday- and I didn't skate that day. I'm hoping I make it through the workday without deciding I work barefoot!

Talked to a club officer and the test session might be canceled!!! That would be horrible. But they don't have 2 hours worth a test, so they won't turn a profit. A few of the board members are going to appeal, that as a non-profit, who fundraises at a competition, it's okay for an occasional test session to lose money, and that they need to hold it. Here's hoping that works!!

Made up spiral sequences in LTS that required a connecting move- Ina, Spread Eagle, or Shoot the Duck. The other adult and I were "um" what if we can't do any of those... I attempted an Ina, which spun in a nice little circle so I switched direction before the 2nd spiral... :( It actually worked for my sequence, but those aren't supposed to turn that tightly!

On a roll
Moves were good. Due to foot pain before LTS I ran each one once- back landing positions were the best! Everything else was pretty good. I'm losing my nerve on the forward crossovers, and am worried I hold a 2 foot position for too long. But all the turns went pretty well. After LTS I did 3 turns and mohawks 3 times each, sort of. The patterns were very truncated due to the stupid zamboni, and the crowds, but I did the turns quite a number of times, and they all felt pretty good.

I finally did my backspin in LTS! It took me 15 minutes to warm it up well enough that I could cross my leg, but then I was able to cross it like 70% of the time, and got a "that was super good" from the instructor (no it wasn't...). So now all I need is to be in a situation where they give me a 20 minute warmup- 15 for the backspin, and 5 for everything else, and I can consider it a skill I "have".

Rusty Blades
09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
On A Roll: Back edges were SMOKIN! Coach commented about the GREAT improvement since last week.

Witrhdrawl: BXO's deserted me today and Upright Spins weren't happening.

On A Roll: Did I mention back edges were SMOKIN! 8-)

Bill_S
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
In deep Withdrawal, but rolling to an end: We will have ice time starting Monday!! :) I've not been on ice since early August, so I'll be very rusty. It will be VERY nice to end this 'dry spell' away from ice.

Wanting to Withdraw, but not allowed: Marilyn signed us up again for ballroom dance lessons, part II. I TOLD her it's a skating night, so I can't take lessons, but she paid the money for lessons anyway.

Sigh.

Went to the dance lesson last night. Tuesdays are going to be heck, with 1-1/2 hours of freestyle, followed by the dance class with only an hour between for a shower and change of clothes.

FlyAndCrash
09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
On a Roll: I got the okay on my newly re-done program today. I changed the jumps and spins. Now my program has a flip, loop-loop, camel-bk sit-sit, flip-loop, salchow-1/2loop-flip, sit variation (to be decided), lutz, and scratch-bk scratch-(maybe scratch). I think I might change the last spin to a catchfoot, but I have to see how that goes. I also added a spiral.

In Withdrawal: I was exhausted after my program. It was really bad. And I forgot what I was doing half-way through. I need to drill this one so much more. And getting bette visual cues would help me not get lost on the ice so much... It's weird at the school rink: there are blechers on all sides and both sides of the ice look very similar. It takes a while to figure out which way I'm facing. :?::?:

On a Roll: I've decided to work on my sit-broken let-bell spin to see if I can get that as my variation. And I'm working on my back sit-sit-pancake and camel-catchfoot. So much to do in so litte time! :giveup:

techskater
09-10-2008, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=Bill_S;375021Went to the dance lesson last night. Tuesdays are going to be heck, with 1-1/2 hours of freestyle, followed by the dance class with only an hour between for a shower and change of clothes.[/QUOTE]

Make sure to get yourself a little snack in there to avoid a problem. Nuts are always good!

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2008, 05:47 AM
On A Roll: The Cast is OFF!!!!!! :) I have a really ugly knee-high black boot to wear instead but at least it comes off for sleeping and showering. I have some little flexing exericises to do before I start Physical Therapy in a couple weeks. Progress is being made.

In Withdrawal: the season has begun and for the first time in a couple decades, I'm not skating yet.Yay! But you hope to be back on the ice next month, didn't you say - you won't have lost much and think how much you'll have gained with your ankle being all better again!

Is there a BART station within walking distance of the Oakland rink? I wouldn't want to be walking around too far in that neighborhood.There was ten years ago when Adult Nationals were held there!

I forgot to post yesterday!

Back to school: Another quiet patch and we were able to do all we wanted. Stayed on after Husband had gone and worked my edges.

Withdrawal: We are not good at skating together in waltz hold with him going backwards. We just can't do it. Sigh.

jazzpants
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
KevinDon't worry! I was fine this morning!!! No muggers!!! If anything it was quite quiet there!!! (I get the sense that the muggers and robbers are not the early rising type... they seemed to be the lazy late sleeper type that I usually am! :twisted: :P :lol: )

There was ten years ago when Adult Nationals were held there!
Yes, it has been 10 years since AN was held there. And STILL no more Berkeley Iceland (http://www.saveberkeleyiceland.org), sadly. :cry:

And now...getting back on topic... :halo:

In Withdrawal:
Unfortunately I was a bit late to my lesson and I only got 20 minutes to my lesson. Sadly we still don't know when my home rink will be reopened. They said something about getting the rink x-rayed or something today to find the problem. Oooookay... I don't get what that's about, but okay... :)

On a roll:
I did have a lesson for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time and we fixed some more minor arms/hand position/upper body stuff. Feels awkward but doable though and we got more stuff fixed that I will keep in mind when I do my program runthrus.

LilJen
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
On a roll: Actually did a salchow today. And I guess I must have done some on Monday, too, because I was doing the same thing then after the last lesson on these. Anyway, coach was excited, even though I admittedly didn't get much air. It all feels odd. She says we'll just jump over the rest of ISI 2; ISI 3 is much closer to what's required for USFS Bronze so what the heck. The only thing I can't do consistently yet on ISI 2 is the 6-rev scratch spin, and it's coming. The other three "jumps" in ISI 2 are all half-jumps, all of which I can do; and the step sequence is very similar to the 5-step mohawk in USFS Bronze moves.

In withdrawal: Hmm, that spin. . . Worked a lot on just getting the 'half-heart' part of the entrance to the spin (to this point I've just been starting my spins from a pivot or two-footed standstill). I always had either the free foot out there or the shoulders/arms were not level, so it wasn't working. Anyone have a good dose of upper/lower body coordination I can borrow?

Rusty Blades
09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Withdrawl: No skate today, or tomorrow. Knee has been really sore and I am giving it a couple of days rest. It was knees that took me out in 1969 and I am hoping that isn't coming back.

dbny
09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
In Withdrawal:
Went to practice today, but my heart really wasn't in it. Didn't get to sleep till 6 AM, so I guess tiredness had something to do with it. I've been having pain from the tendon that runs under the arch on my R foot. It only hurts in the laced up skate, and is not even tender when the skate comes off. So, today, not only was that hurting, but I started to have some pain around the achilles tendon too, and then the knee chimed in. Pain-of-the-day club, anyone? With that going on, I stopped working on FO threes and began just looking for something that didn't hurt.

On a Roll:
And found B power pulls. Did an entire length on each foot. B power pulls are my strength & fitness meter - when I can't do them, I know I've gone downhill. Played around with B spin and was getting one rev pretty much every time - not much, but a big improvement for me. Also watched someone else doing F and B cross strokes and saw clearly that she wasn't finishing the edges, which I now do. Not saying it as in "she can't and I can", but rather that I now can see the difference and feel it too.

My first lesson in two months tomorrow!!!

ibreakhearts66
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM
On a roll
-Did an almost decent program run-through. Landed all of my jumps except one--popped my double toe. We took the 2flip out of my program because it's just not consistent enough.
-lutz double loop combo is pretty consistent. I was surprised when I landed it in my run-through though.
-Footwork is good as long as I remember not to rush. It's pretty difficult stuff--rockers, counters, double rockers, steps from novice moves, bracket 3 bracket, etc.

In withdrawl
-Didn't do my artistic :oops::oops::oops: I worked on pieces of it, but didn't do it to music.
-I am no where near ready for competition. It's this weekend. I have a lesson with both of my coaches tomorrow, but they're not miracle workers.
-My body is pretty unhappy with me for all of the training I've been doing, and the weather is changing. Basically, all of my joints ache.

jskater49
09-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Moves class today. I love this class so much and it's in danger of being cancelled because there are only 3 of us. I'm going to ask the others if they want to split the cost of the coach and take moves lessons even if they cancel it. They will open the time up to other freestyle but at 6 am I think there will still be enough room for us to have class

On a roll - We reviewed the backward rollovers onto the inside edge and after a lap she made me go onto something else becuase "You have it" while she worked with the other two to get it. That never happens to me- usually everyone else goes onto something else while I'm held back!!

No quite on a roll but not withdrawel - the rest of the class we worked on change edges and I'm getting there. She wants me to tuck my foot neatly behind me and I keep wanting to extend it back because of dance and she told me if I could show her the control it takes to keep it tucked behind my ankle, then I can go ahead and extend it. Fair enough.

On to my lesson...

Shocked my coach by voluntarily asking to work on waltz jumps. We first worked on waltz 3s just to review holding good edges for the jump...then work on timing with two foot jumps. Then did some waltz jumps with her holding on.

Next we dragged out my freestyle program. At the end of my program I do a waltz jump/toe loop which I always walk through and she thought we needed some changes. This is not a program that is going to get any points for jumps. I have a two waltz jumps, a half flip and a half lutz, so taking out the toe loop doesn't really make a difference. We changed it to a waltz jump -mazurka. I really like mazurkas and do those pretty well.

On a roll - she said my half lutz with my arm overhead looks really good. And now that I've figure out how to do back rollovers, those look really good in the program. Fixed my cross strokes in the beginning just to make sure I finish the edge and she said they looked much better.

j

Skittl1321
09-12-2008, 08:37 AM
After a pretty awful week of skating (both Tuesday and Wednesday) I had a good lesson on Thursday.

I started just by running my moves test for my coach, then we went through my warm up. Then I asked my coach if, unless she had specific issues with the moves, could we do ANYTHING but bronze moves. So we did silver 3s in the field.

You know, for not even having my bronze test, and for having never done them on the long axis, it wasn't too bad. I do not at all have the power to be a silver lady, getting the lobe size was nearly impossible, and I sometimes had to give myself an extra push to get back to the axis, but the turns themselves weren't too bad. My left BI didn't happen, but all the other ones did. I think my coach was pretty impressed I could do it at all :)

Then we worked on backspins for 5 minutes, and rather than the 18 minutes it took me to be able to cross my leg on Tuesday, I was able to cross on the 3rd try. None of them were good, but a few were obviously backspins. She changed my leg back to the more standard "leg to the side" entry. A different coach, who I do some group lessons with, holds her leg very back- crossed behind, so that with a strong hip snap it's right in place when you turn, my coach did not like that.

Assuming the board didn't vote to cancel it, my test is in 2 weeks. I really want to pass it, but am really wondering if that's going to be possible...

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2008, 09:47 AM
On a roll: Still empty ice, still nobody else wanting the music.....

Withdrawal: Ice a bit bumpety. Slightly sore tendon (I think) behind left knee. Some things now more than ready to have our coaches look at them - I'm glad they will be back on Tuesday!

RoaringSkates
09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Went to the dance lesson last night. Tuesdays are going to be heck, with 1-1/2 hours of freestyle, followed by the dance class with only an hour between for a shower and change of clothes.

I'm thinking of doing similar on Fridays, but on purpose. Skating first, then ballroom. I pass the ballroom place on my drive home from the rink, and it's the only time I can get there.

RoaringSkates
09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Roll: Empty ice this morning.

Withdrawal: Ice was deeply icky due to heavy use by hockey boys prior to my lesson, and no zamboni driver.

Roll: So they gave me the session for free. :)

RachelSk8er
09-12-2008, 12:11 PM
In withdrawal: Zamboni Awareness Month is NOT cool. Apparently it involves leaving the zamboni on the ice, in one of the hockey circles by the door, so that people can take pictures on it. :roll:

WTF!? That's hilarious.

Skittl1321
09-12-2008, 12:37 PM
WTF!? That's hilarious.

There are also Zamboni fun facts posted on the wall, a "color the Zamboni" coloring contest (the winner's picture will be on the manager's officer for a year!!!!) and, I think, a creative writing contest (really).

Those things I think are funny, and if they really attract people to the rink- great! But get the zamboni off my ice!

Edit to add: There is a creative writing contest- for a second I thought I was making it up... From the rink's website
Register for a ride on the Zamboni

Get your picture taken with the Zamboni. Bring your camera and take a picture of you in the
drivers seat of the Zamboni. Check back for a schedule of dates and times

Pick up an information pamphlet on the Zamboni. Filled with facts, trivia and interesting
information about the most unique piece of equipment in the World

We will offer an expanded line of Zamboni merchandise for sale

Tell us your favorite story about the Zamboni, in 500 words or less. We’ll put the best ones on our website.

Color a picture of the Zamboni. Wining pictures will be framed and hung in the ice arena managers office for a full year!

Design the Zamboni of the future. What will the Zamboni look like in 100 years?
Winning pictures will hang in the ice arena office for a full year!

Check out our Zamboni display. Cool pictures, the history of the Zamboni and other displays
will leave you wondering how we ever lived without one.

Kim to the Max
09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
[In Withdrawal]

Some of my moves were giving me fits yesterday...the rocker/choctaw pattern (#2) was just abysmal (particularly CW)...and the bracket/3/bracket was just wrong...it's the 3rd set you do (left foot outside) and I am doing this weird thing where I am sticking my hip out after the first bracket which is making it hard for me to turn forward again.

And as always, yesterday and this morning, axels were just horrid. I need to start doing some off ice for them and I think that I need to suck it up and go back to doing them from a side hop or a swing roll to make sure that I am jumping up correctly....I think I need to find some stairs and do some climbing and turning on them...one of my other problems is that I don't bring my knee through enough...

Had coach in fits of laughter after I did a layback for her...she asked me to add some arms and bring the right arm down and it went down, but in a totally awkward spot...

I need to work on quickening up the ending of my program...I am running about 5 seconds behind time...which really isn't bad for a new program at all...

Coach gave me some extra time, so I paid her for an hour, and she comes back to me this morning and says that I overpaid her... :frus: :roll: oh well, my feeing is that it all comes out in the wash...

[On a roll]

Footwork for my program is coming together. I still need to work on it, but got the BI3-Slip behind-Choctaw somewhat figured out. Need to work on left inside twizzles....and coach added a counter in there so I go LI Twizzle, right outside counter, left outside rocker, rocker/choctaw, rocker/coctaw, etc.

Coach was happy with the progress I have made with my counters (minimal fishtailing!)...some minor corrections with shape of circles, wide stepping and getting back to my axis :roll: especially on the insides, but nothing I can't change.... Did the rocker/choctaw pattern (#4) and coach asks me why I can do it for pattern #2! (I think it's because of the difference in rhythm...I can hold the edges for #4). Didn't do the spirals because the ice was too busy, but in general, those don't really need work :) Coach really likes pattern #1, I just need to tighten up my feet so that I don't need to work so hard to cross over.

doubletoe
09-12-2008, 05:54 PM
On a roll
-Did an almost decent program run-through. Landed all of my jumps except one--popped my double toe. We took the 2flip out of my program because it's just not consistent enough.
-lutz double loop combo is pretty consistent. I was surprised when I landed it in my run-through though.
-Footwork is good as long as I remember not to rush. It's pretty difficult stuff--rockers, counters, double rockers, steps from novice moves, bracket 3 bracket, etc.

In withdrawl
-Didn't do my artistic :oops::oops::oops: I worked on pieces of it, but didn't do it to music.
-I am no where near ready for competition. It's this weekend. I have a lesson with both of my coaches tomorrow, but they're not miracle workers.
-My body is pretty unhappy with me for all of the training I've been doing, and the weather is changing. Basically, all of my joints ache.

When/where is your competition?

ibreakhearts66
09-12-2008, 10:32 PM
When/where is your competition?

Pasadena. My artistic is tomorrow at 2:55, freeskate Sunday at 12:55. I am so not ready 8O8O8O8O8O

On a Roll
-Another two semi-decent program run throughs. Attempted all of the jumps, including the 2toe. I've changed my entrance to a toe-walley style entrance, which makes the jump much bigger, but if I mess up the entrance, there's no way for me to pull off the jump. I figured I just wasn't really capable of doing it at the end of my program, but I did one today!
-Had a very good lesson with my secondary coach. We got a lot done despite not being able to actually play my music (they were filming on the other surface). I know I've said this, but she's just brilliant. Anyone in the Los Angeles area, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend her. Got some nice compliments from her today, which is always nice to hear before competition. She said my split jump was "brilliant," and I heard her say "What a beautiful camel position" while mid-spin. She also commented on how quiet my skating was when I remembered what I was supposed to do. This is with Paramount blades (which are quite loud) and a silent empty rink. She said that if the judges know what they're doing, they'll notice how quiet I am for my size (height) and level. We'll see

In withdrawl
-Both my coaches were telling me the same things today, not good though :( Both said my program tends to be stepped, not skated. Actually, they both used that exact phrase. They also both said that there's a disconnect between my upper and lower bodies. Even if I do manage to get down in my knees, I carry too much tension in the upper body. Gah!
-Took a nasty fall AGAIN on the lutz double loop, but it was probably because I was tired. I can actually land them pretty consistently, so I'm slightly less nervous about that jump. But I was so glad I was wearing the elbow pad. I managed to get up and finish the program, but I definitely made a "Man I hate this sport," face.
-Footwork is not consistent enough for my liking. There are two areas that give me trouble. The beginning (RFI counter, RBI, RFI double rocker, RBI counter) and the middle (bracket-3-bracket). I can DO them, but I tend to rush and tense up and NOT do them.
-Spins were inconsistent today, which is weird for me. I hate my combo spin, I really do. It's back camel, back sit, forward camel, forward sit. I can't always get a good initial spin and I can't always push to a good forward camel. UGH.

But yeah, basically, I'm not ready to compete. It's a small competition, but I still don't want to make an idiot out of myself.

Isk8NYC
09-13-2008, 10:09 AM
In Withdrawal:

I didn't practice at all this week, but I fooled around during our coaching seminar. My "axel rooter" keeps trying to get me to do bell jumps, lol. I might make her work on them with me once I get settled and have to time skate instead of unpacking. I'm off today (group registrations are low) so I intend to make student reminder calls and unpack some more.

On a Roll:

Just had my skates sharpened (finally!); changed to a 1/2" radius.
Wish me luck - have to conquer my shallow-edge sliding problem sometime or I'll never be able to use my patch boots/blades.

On another note, one of my daughters needed larger skates, poor sore-footed child. My very nice pro shop in NY was willing to order and ship them to me, but they couldn't get them until December! Eek. Made a few calls and found a pro shop with the correct size in stock about 45 mins away. Heat molding and initial sharpening were included in the purchase price, and the manager swapped her MK Double Star blades from her too-small skates with the Mark IV's on the new ones.

Now she won't be able to skate at all, ha ha. New boots, sharp blades, poor kid.

doubletoe
09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Pasadena. My artistic is tomorrow at 2:55, freeskate Sunday at 12:55. I am so not ready 8O8O8O8O8O

But yeah, basically, I'm not ready to compete. It's a small competition, but I still don't want to make an idiot out of myself.

Remember, you're doing this to make yourself a better skater, so just use the process to your advantage and forget about everyone else. :) If you can stay focused on your technique for every single second of the program and stay in the moment, you may surprise yourself at how well you can skate, even under pressure! I can't make it to either of your competitions but I will be sending good vibes your way! :D

LilJen
09-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Alternative practice today: FINALLY watching the vid of my pre-bronze tests from a month ago (videocam has been weirding out on us). Some good "on a roll"/"in withdrawal" (depending on your point of view) points learned:
-Apparently I feel the need to direct traffic while skating, at least with one hand. Had no idea I liked to tell everyone "stop" with my left hand! We can take care of that, though.
-I don't extend as much as I thought I did. Which is probably true of about everyone. We can take care of that, though.
-I look about 4-5 months pregnant. I'm not. I really ought to lose some volume!
-Arm flapping must stop. Scrunching over a bit is better than it had been but can be better. Probably if I stood up very straight I'd look less pregnant. :lol:

celticprincess
09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
On a roll: Got my skates sharpened:D
Brackets were much cleaner and flowier
Double threes were very nice and controlled
Had some really nice scratch spins..I had like 10 revs on one causing me to become very dizzy.
Learned the way of the camel, pancake, and back sit and various combo spins involving them.
Actually did a camel-sit-back sit....without falling..;)
My coach said that of all my spins, my sit spin has definatly improved the most! I definatly agree.
Jumps in general were going very well today...especally loops
Landed one good steady flip which I believe I had nice height on
Worked out the kinks in my 'modernesque' programme
Very slowly started my 'Lady In the Water' programme and choreographed a couple of must-have chunks.
My camel is improving so much...I actually spun..instead of getting the hook and falling. I can actually say that I spun this time...hooray!!
Really feel that I worked hard today..muscels ache and Im at work extremely tired. Guess thats a good thing right?
Had a good office lesson..did some serious stretching, flexibility training, jumps and spin positions.

In Withdrawal: Trying to stop on newly sharpened skates...not so pleasant
Nearly crashed into my 'facebook buddy'...we both had newly sharpened skates and neither of us were able to stop fast...I took the fall..yet it didn't hurt or anything.
After a really nice flip, I tried another in which I got alot of height, landed it, then both feet went out from under me. GRRRR:frus::frus:
Almost killed myself on my toe pick..not once but SEVERAL times:roll:
Chickened out once again with doing my 'moderesque' programme. Its just that there were so many people on the ice and I really did not feel like being run over. But the time I was really considering it, the session was over. :roll: Oh well, next time I guess
No ice tomorrow...BOO!

Overall great session, had some great things happen. I for one vow to never let my skates get that dull again. Sharpening does wonders and makes a huge difference:!: BTW I was having way too much fun with these smiley things.8-) :lol: Okay Im done.

RachelSk8er
09-13-2008, 05:10 PM
On a roll: Had a good practice this morning! I will be retrying my silver free in 10 days, so I got my program rearranged for that. Hopefully I'll pass this time, last time was such a joke that I didn't, my friends, coach, one of the judges on my panel (the one who passed me) still tease me about my strange, sudden inability to do a measly 3 revs in a camel spin the day I took it last time. I am holding off on my pre-juv free until after Buckeye. Even though the test programs are the same with the exception of one spin, that spin on the pre-juv program is not consistent for me yet. I have a hard time going from a front scratch to a back scratch and it's just not consistent--I always do it the other way around with the back scratch first. When I do it "my" way I can do it passable (not spinning quite as fast on the forward scratch so I'm not dizzy when I go to step to the back scratch), but my coach feels I need to attack all my spins more and doesn't want me wimping out.

However, my sit-change-sit was rather nice today--I think it's easier to control the change in that spin because I'm not spinning as fast and I'm already in a down position.

Also worked during my lesson on lutzes, my lutz loop was very nice in a few of my run-thrus today. :)

Overall skating a program is getting MUCH more comfortable and even sort of fun! Freestyle is so different from what I'm used to--in synchro every last step, arm movement, head movement and facial expression is set in stone, and obviously dance isn't much different--so being essentially able to do what I want has kind of been an adjustment. Elements of my program are flowing together much better and I'm getting comfortable adding more bells and whistles (more turns before jumps, upping single twizzles to doubles, having time to hold jump landings longer, etc).

In withdrawal: Between school starting, not having ice for a week, and getting ready for Wyandotte, today was the first day I've worked on axels in at least a month. Not good. Just spent about 15 min working on takeoffs into bell jumps. I *really* want to have it to the point where at Buckeye I can just go for it in my free or my compulsory (or both!).

ibreakhearts66
09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Today was, shall we say, a disaster.

It was just bad. Really. My coach didn't get there until the end of my warm-up which was slightly stressful, and I skated first. The beginning went somewhat OK, but from about the halfway point on it was just terrible. My legs just stopped working. I fell on a double sal, got up, push to my left leg and immediately fell over. When I got up, my legs were so shaky that I actually thought I was losing my blade. After I got up I had to do stars into a flying camel and I was definitely tentative since I honestly thought my blade was going to go flying off into the bleacher. It didnt, but I got off the ice and burst into tears because my legs hurt so badly. I don't know what happened, but they just started cramping horribly and then the tendons on the outside starting burning really badly. I ripped my skates off, tried to get up to stretch and fell over. I know I've said this a few times already, but it was like my legs from the knee down just didnt' know what to do. I lost total control of them.

Needless to say, I got last. I just hope tomorrow is better and that my legs aren't on fire.

techskater
09-14-2008, 05:09 AM
ibreakhearts - It sounds as if you quit breathing from the minute you took the ice to skate your program so the lactic acid built up too quickly in your muscles causing your problems. (Gee. how would I know that? :roll:)

You have to remember to breathe and should even "choreograph" breaths in the program so that you are taking in O2 and pushing the lactic acid out of your system (or at least delaying the reaction). We had a kid at our rink who did the same thing (not breathing) who used to throw up at the end of her program.

I give you credit for getting out there and I know it can be hard when you hvae high expectations for your skating and don't meet them. ((BIGHUGS))

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2008, 08:55 AM
ibreakhearts - sorry you had a rotten skate. It happens; all you can do is put it behind you and carry on. You were out there and you skated - that is the main thing!

As for us, we are now definitely in withdrawal from our coaches - we need lessons. Luckily they are back on Tuesday, and not before time.

But we are on a roll in terms of our preparation for our next competition. We are where we hoped to be.

Which is more than can be said for Husband's toe loops, which are seriously bad right now - he is totally stepping to forwards even before he picks in. I videoed him, as he didn't believe me!

ibreakhearts66
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
ibreakhearts - It sounds as if you quit breathing from the minute you took the ice to skate your program so the lactic acid built up too quickly in your muscles causing your problems. (Gee. how would I know that? :roll:)

You have to remember to breathe and should even "choreograph" breaths in the program so that you are taking in O2 and pushing the lactic acid out of your system (or at least delaying the reaction). We had a kid at our rink who did the same thing (not breathing) who used to throw up at the end of her program.

I give you credit for getting out there and I know it can be hard when you hvae high expectations for your skating and don't meet them. ((BIGHUGS))

Thanks, and you are probably absolutely right. I wasn't thinking of breathing at all during my artistic. I do remember towards the end feeling like I was about to collapse. Oops. I do have some breathing choreographed into my fs. Well, kind of. There are moments where I can remind myself to take deep breaths. I'll try to remember to breathe today!

looplover
09-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, I haven't posted in a while!

On a roll: love, love, love my new program music and new footwork sequence. It is TOUGH but that's how I want it...to make up for my iffy jumps. Just did it with a flip on the end...on my carpet (ha!)...if I can really get a flip on the end of that I think my skating dreams will have been fulfilled. Well, if I could put an axel at the end of it, but can't for bronze.

Sit spin is good right now...camel...I can't tell?

In withdrawal: no ice flips, just carpet. Can't get that sit/back sit combo for the life of me, just can't get into position for the back sit. Considering I want a camel/sit/back sit combo my work is cut out for me...

Mixed feelings: pretty sure moving back to Florida in January if I decide to keep my job - Love old coach in FL and love current coach in NC! Will really miss my rink, club and coach. Wish everyone could move with me and I could take lessons from both coaches! Hope I can afford to do easterns and nationals.8O

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
After such a long season without skating (and not being able to take advantage of my rink's expanded season) it's so nice to heal that nasty skating withdrawal!!!

Today was my 2nd lesson of the season and I was "on a roll" with it! Although the rink was FOGGY from hot outside/cold inside (it also made the ice weird) today was sooo good in so many ways!

Field moves: once again, we are back at these! We hit the forward crossovers as I really have confidence and stablity issues (not 100% on my left leg 6 months post-op). But these improved a smidgen with those reminders from my coach (hug the circle, bend you knees.....)

Waltz Jump: this has gotten bigger altho I'm at a loss to know why. So we added speed and it was good.

Toe-Loop: How I despised this jump!!! After one botched attempt (um, yeah check that left arm!) the rest were better. So coach had me tackle the waltz-toe-loop combo...and after one abort (yeah forgot the toe-loop part) the rest were ok.

1-Foot spins: we are still breaking these down...so I have to do them without pulling in...that's a very hard thing to not do! LOL!

Backspins: these were the best!!! After such a struggle last year and the year before that...these are finally clicking! I managed a few that had all the elements: rotation on the ball of the foot, arms "hugging the beach ball", and free foot crossing (altho sometimes more open than my coach prefers).

Now it's hours later and I'm VERY sore!!! But still very happy with today's skate!

Bill, I know your dilemma about scheduling! I ended up NOT attending my typical wednesday night club session...I'm in school and I'd have to travel 25 miles, haul my crap into the rink, change, off-ice warm up etc for a session all in about 30 minutes...I don't want that kind of stress so I'm skipping the session.

I also had to turn down a partner request from a fellow ballroom dancer. We met and hit it off great, but the nights he can dance I'm either in class or at the rink. Too bad as it would have worked out nicely for both of us (darn this school stuff!!! LOL)

Kim to the Max
09-14-2008, 08:15 PM
[In withdrawal]
What am I going to do about these axels? I've been trying to do them off ice a bit so that I can get that snap going and really bring my knee through, but it just doesn't seem to be working. Back to my old bad habits on the ice. They are still not fully rotated and while I know what the problems are, I can't seem to fix them...I tend to look down and reach for the ice and I don't stay in long enough...I can do them off ice, but that doesn't translate for me to on ice success. I am beating my head against a wall here :frus:

[On a Roll]
Moves felt good today...coach wants me to test these soon, so I best get working on them...there are only 1.5 moves that I don't feel entirely comfortable that they will be there when I'm nervous...the CW rocker/choctaw pattern (#2) and the bracket/3/bracket patterns.

Footwork for my program is coming along when I do it in isolation...haven't really put it together with the music yet...oops :roll: Still struggling with the choctaw coach put in there (it's RFI 3/cross over/RBI 3/slip behind/swing wide, choctaw/bracket-bracket/ballet jump....etc...)

Need to be up early for the 6am session...I get picked up at 5:15am 8O then it's on the ice by 6am, off by 7ish then back home by 8ish and at work by 9...

ibreakhearts66
09-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Well today was better than yesterday, but it wasn't great.

Warm-up wasn't good. I did a very strange double loop where I didn't even pull my arms in. It was quite odd. Double toes were off. Really, everything was off.

My program was respectable. The skating was terrible and slow and I knew it, but I didn't have the energy to do anything about it. I landed axel, double loop, double toe, double sal and other singles. I had never actually landed the double toe during all of my program practices, so that was really nice. The 2sal was supposed to be 2sal 1/2 loop 2sal sequence, but it didn't happen. I singled my loop on my lutz 2loop combo because I didn't have enough speed.

I was worried about my spin combo, but it went really well. It's back camel, back sit, forward camel, forward sit. It was a big relief to do that well.

But then ending. Oh man, the ending. I hit my ending pose, took a step forward and started to throw up. I hadn't been feeling well all day, but didn't really think about it. Instead of bowing, I gave a little wave of the arms as I went rushing of the ice for the trash can. 8O I barely made it off the ice before puking :roll: I just hope the judges didn't think I was rude for not bowing.

I didn't place well, 4th out of 4, but three out of five judges gave me 3rd. It was a good experience and I now know that the program has the potential to be really good.

jazzpants
09-14-2008, 09:58 PM
ibreakhearts: Sorry to hear about your competition sick story!!! I definitely would hate to be in your shoes on this. Yeah, sounds like it's time to "program in" spots for breathing so at least you delay the inevitable need to puke long enough to bow to the judgesl :(

On a roll:
Had my first lesson with primary coach since the rink closed... this was at least two weeks ago. 8O We went to my second alternate rink, where the first hour of the public session is okay and drastically goes downhill from there into kiddie hell!!! :evil: :giveup: (No ice monitor... and they didn't do the 3pm ice cut too! Trust me! They are asking for liability lawsuits at that rink...) 8O

kander: You should know which rink I'm talking about based on that description, right? (Don't post it online... PM me...)

Let see...

Spins:
One foot: okay;
Backspin: okay, not great. I have to be more on the BO edge. Nothing I don't already know... :roll:
Sit spins: Bad on the first try but got better and better as the session wore on.
Camel: REALLY sucky but again, got better and better as the session wore on... and my last one was probably my best one.Jumps:
Waltz: Could be better but the last one was probably the best one.
Salchow: Good
Toe loop: Toe waltz!!! :evil: Ironically when I do a toe loop-toe loop combo, he thinks the combo toe loop is better. Go figure... :P
Loop: Good. Arms need to be in more when I'm up in the arm and to my chest but otherwise okay.
Flip: Same as loop.
Flip-loop: :giveup: (I landed the last one clean but it didn't glide out after the loop.)
Lutz: Two footed landings on all but the last one. Landed that one clean to primary coach's "that's a good one" and a Gold level guy's cheering. (He's one of my fellow skaters that has been watching me skate for YEARS from when I was a wimpy Pre-Bronze skater.)
In withdrawal:
Only one thing... my runthru of my artistic program (this is on my own w/o primary coach...) Remember I mentioned about the session being KIDDIE HELL after the first hour??? Why the heck am I a kiddie magnet during my program runthru??? :frus::evil: :x :giveup:

And I have a non-existent back-sit as of now too!!! :frus:

liz_on_ice
09-15-2008, 05:40 AM
On a roll - salchow, BO3s, spirals

In withdrawal - my loop, which has been missing since I did the first handful last winter. I did some at the wall and almost did some away, so I'm back to almost there. Also the ice monitor - where the heck was he when the snowball fights broke out?

doubletoe
09-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Well today was better than yesterday, but it wasn't great.

Warm-up wasn't good. I did a very strange double loop where I didn't even pull my arms in. It was quite odd. Double toes were off. Really, everything was off.

My program was respectable. The skating was terrible and slow and I knew it, but I didn't have the energy to do anything about it. I landed axel, double loop, double toe, double sal and other singles. I had never actually landed the double toe during all of my program practices, so that was really nice. The 2sal was supposed to be 2sal 1/2 loop 2sal sequence, but it didn't happen. I singled my loop on my lutz 2loop combo because I didn't have enough speed.

I was worried about my spin combo, but it went really well. It's back camel, back sit, forward camel, forward sit. It was a big relief to do that well.

But then ending. Oh man, the ending. I hit my ending pose, took a step forward and started to throw up. I hadn't been feeling well all day, but didn't really think about it. Instead of bowing, I gave a little wave of the arms as I went rushing of the ice for the trash can. 8O I barely made it off the ice before puking :roll: I just hope the judges didn't think I was rude for not bowing.

I didn't place well, 4th out of 4, but three out of five judges gave me 3rd. It was a good experience and I now know that the program has the potential to be really good.

I'm proud of you!! :D:bow: You never gave in, even though your body was "off." You also singled or skipped jumps instead of risking a bad fall, which was smart both in terms of your score *and* your injury-prevention resolution! And once you hit your ending pose the judges are done, so don't worry about what happened after that, LOL!
I'm really glad Techskater brought up that breathing issue. It sounds like it must have helped you get through your technical program (whew!)

So are you feeling any better today??

ibreakhearts66
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm proud of you!! :D:bow: You never gave in, even though your body was "off." You also singled or skipped jumps instead of risking a bad fall, which was smart both in terms of your score *and* your injury-prevention resolution! And once you hit your ending pose the judges are done, so don't worry about what happened after that, LOL!
I'm really glad Techskater brought up that breathing issue. It sounds like it must have helped you get through your technical program (whew!)

So are you feeling any better today??

A little. I'm still feeling a little queasy, so I'm being gentle to my stomach.

I just can't wait til I'm under IJS because I think I'll do a lot better. All of my jumps are clean whereas all of my competitors on Sunday cheated theirs. The technical elements are my strength, so that should help me. I definitely need to work on my artistry and the like though.

I'm glad Techskater brought up the breathing issue, but not the girl who would throw up issue lol. Maybe that's where my body got the idea from.

ETA: Heres a video of my skate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuu6MrVc0QM

doubletoe
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm glad Techskater brought up the breathing issue, but not the girl who would throw up issue lol. Maybe that's where my body got the idea from.

ETA: Heres a video of my skate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuu6MrVc0QM

OMG, if you're that suggestible, we'll just have to start talking about the double axels you're about to land, LOL!

I think you're right; your technical score for that program would have been pretty good under IJS because you fully rotated all the doubles you actually went for and the others would get credit for singles with no -GOE's (which is more points than underrotated doubles). You also got enough revolutions in position on each of your spins. This is a pretty new program, right? As you keep skating it throughout the season, you will definitely get more speed and flow, especially on the footwork (which looks like it's got some pretty tricky stuff in it!)

ibreakhearts66
09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
OMG, if you're that suggestible, we'll just have to start talking about the double axels you're about to land, LOL!

I think you're right; your technical score for that program would have been pretty good under IJS because you fully rotated all the doubles you actually went for and the others would get credit for singles with no -GOE's (which is more points than underrotated doubles). You also got enough revolutions in position on each of your spins. This is a pretty new program, right? As you keep skating it throughout the season, you will definitely get more speed and flow, especially on the footwork (which looks like it's got some pretty tricky stuff in it!)

Oh you'll have to tell me about some other person with a similar history to mine that lands perfect double axels :D

Exactly. That's what I'm counting on. And yes, this program is like 2 weeks old. I mean, parts of it are like 9 months old, but the program as a whole? Brand new.

And my footwork is quite tricky, and that was the shorter version! The Pasadena rink is only 150 long, so I had to cut out quite a bit. There's supposed to be a double rocker in the beginning, but I messed up the counter, so I knew it wouldn't work.

Also, as I get more fit, the flow should increase. Towards the end I knew I needed to push more, but there was no way it was gonna happen.

Rusty Blades
09-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Oops! Wrong thread