View Full Version : NYC Meetup October 13 or 14th?

jazzpants
09-07-2008, 12:26 PM
You guys wanna do a meet up October 13 or 14th 2008???

Late afternoons/early evenings is probably best for me and for those who are working...

Yes, we're aiming for Aviator again. Also, I won't have a car this time around, so I'll also need a lift. (The other option is to switch to Chelsea Piers this time around and do Aviator around Christmas time again.)

Lemme know...

herniated
09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I will probably be away. Would love to finally meet you. And.. I've been off the ice. I hurt my back pretty badly so no skating for me.:cry:

badaxel
09-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I could probably do the 13th- that's Columbus Day, right? Maybe we could do Hackensack?

renatele
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I have classes Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 6 pm, so 13th and 14th in NYC will not work for me. Hackensack might be ok, as long as I can get out of there at 5 (and childcare works out...).

jazzpants
09-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I actually have thought about splitting it to Hackensack on Monday and going to Aviator on Tuesday... so at the very least, I'll put my skates to use!!! (Yeah, I should have realized that planning for a meetup like this and NOT during the holidays is gonna be a BEAR!!! :roll: ) Would that be good for y'all???

Besides that, I am dying for some NICE JUICY burgers from White Manna!!! :yum: :bow: :yum: :bow: :yum: :mrgreen: I also *DO* want to see the Moves Guru, if nothing else, just to say hello to him...that is... if he's even there!!! 8O

Note to everyone: There will be a Christmas NYC meetup and I am aiming for a weekend date this time around given that this year my Christmas trip is shorten b/c of the new job and this particular family trip (PLUS AN!!!)

You've been warned...

dbny
09-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Either day at Aviator is good for me. I could probably give you a ride both ways, but can't be sure until I know my work schedule. I still have a number of students who haven't started again yet this fall.

herniated
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I was just thinking... if I'm not away...and you guys go to Aviator? Maybe I could meet you after skating? Sounds like you all go out to eat? I could probably do that.

dbny
09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I was just thinking... if I'm not away...and you guys go to Aviator? Maybe I could meet you after skating? Sounds like you all go out to eat? I could probably do that.

KPD, KPD, KPD!

jazzpants
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
KPD, KPD, KPD!Sweet potato fries! Sweet potato fries! Sweet potato fries! :yum: :yum: :yum: (Of course, I think I better share my fries given that I'm on health watch and that I just plain CAN'T EAT THE WHOLE DARN THING!!! 8O

herniated: I would love to finally meet you, even if it's just for dinner or something. :) (Sorry to hear you're STILL injured! But better safe than sorry...)

herniated
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Me too jazzpants! Uhhh...dbny what is KPD? I am ignorant.

dbny
09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Me too jazzpants! Uhhh...dbny what is KPD? I am ignorant.

It's the Kings Plaza Diner! One of the best diners around, and a stone's throw from Aviator. Only problem is that it can get very crowded and we might have to wait. Think I'll see if they take reservations.

jazzpants
09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
It's the Kings Plaza Diner! One of the best diners around, and a stone's throw from Aviator. Only problem is that it can get very crowded and we might have to wait. Think I'll see if they take reservations.
Warning: HUGE menu! HUGE portions!!! (i.e. if you want leftovers, this is definitely the place for it.) If you are on a diet like me, this is NOT the place to go! :lol: :P :yum: :twisted:

Tofutti ice cream (soy milk ice cream) along with regular ones too!!! Good for those who are either allergic to dairy (me) or lactose intolerant (should be me, but my allergist swears it's not the enzyme that bothers me but the milk protein itself.)

It's a "must try." :D (And if you like Greek salads, dbny swears this is one of THE best places for it!) :P

flutzilla1
09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Heya jazz, if you go to Hackensack on Monday I could meet up with you there. Or Aviator as well. Tuesdays don't work great for me as I have to help with learn to skate :( but Monday would be great.

Hope to see you then!

renatele
09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Back from Monday class... I think I might actually be able to do Monday evening in October, we may not have regular Monday classes then, though will know more as time draws closer.

RoaringSkates
09-12-2008, 11:53 AM
If you do decide to do Hackensack, I may be able to go. Aviator isn't possible. Chelsea Piers? Maybe. Kind of hard for me to get to. But Hackensack is very possible. And I drive by White Manna all the time, never been in.

jazzpants
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
For the Hackensack gang: I have to make a small change to my car rental, but if there is enough interest, I would like to propose Monday afternoon

These are the sessions for the low FS. (I think most of us are low FS level... unless of course renatele is now crankin' out those doubles already... :P )

Monday afternoons:
3:00-3:45pm
3:45-4:30pm
4:30-5:15pm
5:25pm:-6:10pm

What times can you guys make? Can any of you make the 3:45 session?

My only requirement is food... I would like to go to White Manna Burgers for dinner!!! :twisted: :yum:

renatele
09-12-2008, 01:10 PM
These are the sessions for the low FS. (I think most of us are low FS level... unless of course renatele is now crankin' out those doubles already... :P )

:lol: In my dreams - oh yeah.

I haven't really skated much since we met last... no time. You can beat me in FS even when I'm at my best (but I still have nice BXOs :P )

I assume I should be able to make it at 3:45, but like I said before, to early for me to call.

RoaringSkates
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Later is better for me, but 3:45 may be doable. Low FS is preferable, yes!

MissIndigo
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Note to everyone: There will be a Christmas NYC meetup and I am aiming for a weekend date this time around given that this year my Christmas trip is shorten b/c of the new job and this particular family trip (PLUS AN!!!)

You've been warned...

SQUEE!!! I could perhaps actually make this!!

Putting my skates back on for the season this weekend!! I just wish my campus rink were open all year 'round...boooooooo!!! (and maybe I'll get that dang backspin for real this year...)

jazzpants
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
It's looking like since people are very busy (and it's a LOOOOONG drive from NJ to NYC and vice versa) that I will likely make two separate NYC Meetups. So these are the dates, times, and rinks I will make:

Monday October 13th @ "The Hack": I will be there for the 3:45pm session and will stay for two FS sessions. In any case, we're gonna aim for my favorite White Manna burger somewhere around 6-ish if you can't make the meetup but can make it for burgers!!! :yum: :twisted:

Tuesday October 14th @ Aviator in Brooklyn: Can you guys make it for the 10-10:50am FS session? Or should we just do public session? Should be empty b/c the kids are in school, right? I think if we have the FS session, we have the advantage of having access to the stereo to play our programs, if we wanted to show off our stuff....well, except my technical program's a mess right now... :oops: We'll have KPD afterwards, of course!!! ;) :twisted:

FSWer
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Say,if any of you would like to meet up with me too in my town,at any time. Please let me know. You all have been so nice to me over the years.

renatele
10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh, this might be even better for me, depending on my husband's schedule!! (assuming I don't get stuck in NYC morning traffic and get there way after the session is over, LOL). 11 am public is also ok, and I don't know about Aviator, but at the rinks in NJ publics are fairly empty on weekdays, unless there are special groups (school trips, homeschoolers, etc). It's also not unusual to be able to play our own music on publics, but again, I don't know how Aviator is with that (oh, but we are going to have dbny with us, and she coaches there!).

Tuesday October 14th @ Aviator in Brooklyn: Can you guys make it for the 10-10:50am FS session? Or should we just do public session? Should be empty b/c the kids are in school, right? I think if we have the FS session, we have the advantage of having access to the stereo to play our programs, if we wanted to show off our stuff....well, except my technical program's a mess right now... :oops: We'll have KPD afterwards, of course!!! ;) :twisted:

dbny
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
11 am public is also ok, and I don't know about Aviator, but at the rinks in NJ publics are fairly empty on weekdays, unless there are special groups (school trips, homeschoolers, etc). It's also not unusual to be able to play our own music on publics, but again, I don't know how Aviator is with that (oh, but we are going to have dbny with us, and she coaches there!).

It's usually pretty empty at 11 on a weekday. We have a new skating director and I don't know what he thinks about playing program music on the public sessions. Guess I could ask.

jazzpants
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
It's usually pretty empty at 11 on a weekday. We have a new skating director and I don't know what he thinks about playing program music on the public sessions. Guess I could ask.
How about this? Let's shoot for 10am for the FS session... and stick around for the first hour of the public session. That way if we can't play music, we'll just plan for the FS session to get the runthrus over and done with.

Does that sound with you guys?

The other thing is that I will need a ride to and from a Brooklyn LIRR station and Aviator. I will not have a car then. If someone can kindly give me a lift, I appreciate it!!! :D :bow:

liz_on_ice
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
How about this? Let's shoot for 10am for the FS session... and stick around for the first hour of the public session. That way if we can't play music, we'll just plan for the FS session to get the runthrus over and done with.

The other thing is that I will need a ride to and from a Brooklyn LIRR station and Aviator. I will not have a car then. If someone can kindly give me a lift, I appreciate it!!! :D :bow:

If I can go at all I can pick you up from Jamaica or Broadway Junction, but now I may be going to Chicago that day. Hoping not, will find out next week some time.

renatele
10-02-2008, 08:06 PM
10 am FS and public after is a great idea.

I would volunteer to pick you up, but coming from Jersey, I can't be sure about what time I'll get there...

jazzpants
10-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi, everyone!

Just a short reminder... MONDAY (tomorrow) I'm planning to be at THE HACK at the 3:45pm FS session and hopefully I will be able to get on it. (I think it's an ALL FS session, instead of it being just a High FS session.) I will stay for a couple of FS session and that's it. I plan afterwards to go to my favorite burger haven, White Manna!!! :bow: :yum: :bow: :yum: :bow:

Tuesday, I will be at the 10am FS session at Aviator! We will stay thru maybe the first hour of the public session and then go to KPD for those yummy sweet potato fries!!! :yum:

liz_on_ice
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
sucks to be me, but I can't get out of work tomorrow. Should have gone to Rockefeller Center today - free cookies handed out by skating chefs. Way fun.

dbny
10-13-2008, 03:34 PM
sucks to be me, but I can't get out of work tomorrow. Should have gone to Rockefeller Center today - free cookies handed out by skating chefs. Way fun.

Aw, we'll miss you! I want a cookie too!

JP - did you get my PM about calling when you get to the Prospect Park station?

jazzpants
10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Aw, we'll miss you! I want a cookie too!

JP - did you get my PM about calling when you get to the Prospect Park station?

Awwww!!! POOOO!!! We'll miss 'ya!!! :cry:

dbny: I will meet you at Aviator instead! I am going to keep the car I did rent for my SIL's wedding another day. (Actually either way I'm gonna end up keeping the car anyway, so I'd rather take the car to Aviator rather than having to go thru the subway.) So no worries about getting up early!!! I'll be at the 10am FS session and will be there 'til about 1 hr. into the public session.

I look forward to meeting everyone else that can make the session!!!

Just came back from the Hack! Traffic coming back was 8O. Traffic going there was a dream... only an hour!!! AND I got the chance to watch the elite session. Didn't recognize anyone, but I did see this one very platinum blond skater on the session that really tall. Flutzilla later told me that skater was Oskana Baiul!!! 8O She also introduced me to yet another skater, curly hair guy who did quite a few decent triple axels that was also on that session. His name, I think, is Adam Rippon. :D

And of course, I got to meet flutzilla and her ADORABLE son!!! What a cutie!!! :bow: We topped off the skate with a piece of heaven -- the White Manna burger!!! :twisted: :yum: And of course, I had to bring back a few of them back to my DH or else he would quite upset with me.. :P :lol: (He said "This burger is better than...<ummm, since there's kids reading this board... it's the six letter 'o' word>..." :lol: )

The bad news... I lost my cell phone on this trip! Lucky for me, I had plan on getting a new phone soon anyway so maybe this is a good time to get one. Sadly I'll have to rebuild my phone list from the old phone from scratch. :cry: )

dbny
10-13-2008, 09:38 PM
The bad news... I lost my cell phone on this trip! Lucky for me, I had plan on getting a new phone soon anyway so maybe this is a good time to get one. Sadly I'll have to rebuild my phone list from the old phone from scratch. :cry: )

Shame on you! You're a computer professional and don't have a backup? Seriously, so sorry that happened. I know what a bummer that is - not personally, thank goodness, but everyone else in my family has lost a phone or had one stolen. I highly recommend a smartphone; you know, a BlackBerry, or a Palm - love my Centro at last. That way you back the whole thing up to your PC and can easily restore it to a new phone. Maybe you'll take a look at my Centro at lunch tomorrow.

jazzpants
10-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Shame on you! You're a computer professional and don't have a backup? Seriously, so sorry that happened. I know what a bummer that is - not personally, thank goodness, but everyone else in my family has lost a phone or had one stolen. I highly recommend a smartphone; you know, a BlackBerry, or a Palm - love my Centro at last. That way you back the whole thing up to your PC and can easily restore it to a new phone. Maybe you'll take a look at my Centro at lunch tomorrow.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, yeah! I know, I know!!! I should know better. Shame on me... :frus::P :lol: (I'll recover. Most of the phones DH has and I will ping you for your number when I get my new phone too... meh, go ahead and PM it to me too... :P )

I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a Blackberry. The only problem though is that a lot of websites now support Web 2.0 and hubby's Blackberry does NOT support that. (Maybe the current generation's version has that support now???) I would not want to get an iPhone given all the complaints I've heard about as far as net support is concerned.

The service to the lost phone is already suspended and I will get a new phone this weekend when I get back. (I'm now packing from my MIL's home as we speak...)

ETA: I am back from NYC and DH INSISTED that I get a new phone as soon as I got home. First stop after home was the AT&T store and I got myself a brand new Candy Apple Red Blackberry Curve with GPS features.