View Full Version : Resource Question

Sk8Dreamer
09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I used to check out the recreational skating newsgroup regularly, and found a wealth of information there on learning to skate. Since it pretty much died, I found this forum, which is a great site, and obviously a lot of people from the old newsgroup have migrated here, but I feel like it's mostly about people who are experienced skaters, regardless of age. I am an adult skater, in love with skating despite slow, slow progress and ongoing frustrations (I just refuse to give up), but I'm not doing spins or jumps or spirals or camels; I don't test and I don't compete--I am a total recreational skater who just wants to keep learning. To be honest, I feel a bit like I don't belong on this forum--not to dis this site; it's a great group of people with a lot of compassion and insight--so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other forum or site that might be more appropriate.

dbny
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
But you do belong here! I don't jump either (except for the odd bunny hop necessary to teach it) and can barely spin well enough to teach spins. I will never be a high level skater (except in my dreams). I teach recreational adult skaters all the time, and there are others here like you. Feel free to ask questions about the skills you are working on. No skill is too "minor" to learn more about. Even the best skaters in the world still work on basic skills like stroking and crossovers.

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Seconded - of course you belong here! I, too, am one of the older skaters, and, although I compete a fair amount, it is as an ice dancer partnered by my husband. Apart from basic skating practice at the rink, I do very little solo work these days, although I don't rule out doing another interp if I ever get inspired! But no more solo dance for me.

Neither Husband nor I began learning to skate until we were in our 40s, and although Husband was an athlete, I wasn't, and it shows. But we have fun, and that's what matters.

Skating is always hard, whether you're learning how to hold an edge, or how to do a crossover, or a basic turn - and you go on working on all those things the whole of your skating life! Why, I saw an international Senior skater being corrected on a cross-roll 3 just the other day!

You belong here!

stacyf419
09-05-2008, 06:56 AM
And I think if you post questions, others both at your level and below/above will come out and exchange information. Just dive in! You'll probably be surprised at how many other skaters just like you are out there and waiting to post.

Skittl1321
09-05-2008, 07:26 AM
--I am a total recreational skater who just wants to keep learning. To be honest, I feel a bit like I don't belong on this forum--not to dis this site; it's a great group of people with a lot of compassion and insight--so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other forum or site that might be more appropriate.

If you want to belong here, you do! This forums is for all levels! When I first came here, I was in a Basic 3/4 class- my first class since I was like 8 when I took Basic 1. It was while chatting here that I got better and grew into the skater I am now.

I am testing moves in the field, but I don't think I'll test freestyle again. I don't like to jump, and so I don't. But there is so much else to do with skating, and I'm eager to learn more!

Sessy
09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Recreational skaters are the very foundation of the sport. There's wayyy more of them than there are elite skaters. Besides, the lower you are in your skills, the more people on these forums can offer you their tips and tricks and experiences in learning certain elements of skating, and the easier you'll be able to learn them :)

And in the end, the one thing in common for people on this board is that they LOVE to skate. I don't believe that love is particularly dependant on how much you can actually accomplish out on the ice.

jwrnsktr
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I am exactly the skater you are. I started at 46 and ten years later I'm still learning at a non-competitive, non-testing, no shows level. I skate just for me and for the joy of learning the sport. I have a few jumps that are works in progress, I struggle with spinning. At times elements that I have nailed go completely away and I start all over again. I strive to be happy where I am and for the most part I am. My coach teaches kids and adults that are competitive but he doesn't expect less of me because I am not. I find when I'm at the rink I laugh, I sweat, I'm elated, I'm frustrated but I do not think about any of life's other challenges and it's so liberating that way. It's a good form of exercise and I've met some great people. I like to read more than I like to post on this site, but that's OK too......it's all about what you are happy with. Don't go!

Isk8NYC
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Just to add: we also have a number of skating FANS who haven't set foot on ice in years, if at all.

Welcome to the Board!

JazzySkate
09-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Please don't feel intimidated-or skate away : ). Doesn't matter if you're a recreational or competitive adult skater-we're all here to help and support each other. I've been skating for many years - and still learning. It never ends. There's always an element to focus on, whether or not you're testing. I teach all ages with open arms and in doing so, have grown immensly through creatively finding out the various ways of teaching elements, plus not to mention the many friends I've met across the years.

The willingness of posters on this board to share and exchange ideas and info is infectious. As the old song goes: "Don't Go - Please Stay!" :)

liz_on_ice
09-05-2008, 04:25 PM
And I think if you post questions, others both at your level and below/above will come out and exchange information. Just dive in! You'll probably be surprised at how many other skaters just like you are out there and waiting to post.

And lots of us adults who are jumping and spinning started out in adult learn to skate classes. We haven't forgotten what it's like!