View Full Version : Test Standards DVDs

Query
09-04-2008, 06:33 AM
The ISI just sent me an ad:

>Subject: A "Must-Have" for Coaches and Skaters!
>The ISI Test Standards DVD demonstrates
>the required maneuvers - skating skills such
>as jumps, spins, gliding maneuvers and
>dance step sequences - in each of the ISI tests
>from Pre-Alpha through Freestyle 10.
>The weSKATE DVD also makes a great gift for
>any instructor or skater!

Sounds like a great idea. Their "Skater's and Coach's Handbook" is good but sometimes ambiguous.

But does anyone know of something similar from USFSA?

(The ISI order form is at www.skateisi.com/site/contentpdf/PubOrder.pdf. Maybe you have to belong to order.)

Query
09-04-2008, 06:35 AM
The ISI just sent me an ad:

>Subject: A "Must-Have" for Coaches and Skaters!
>The ISI Test Standards DVD demonstrates
>the required maneuvers - skating skills such
>as jumps, spins, gliding maneuvers and
>dance step sequences - in each of the ISI tests
>from Pre-Alpha through Freestyle 10.
>The weSKATE DVD also makes a great gift for
>any instructor or skater!

Sounds like a great idea. Their "Skater's and Coach's Handbook" has some good move descriptions but is sometimes ambiguous.

(The ISI order form is at www.skateisi.com/site/contentpdf/PubOrder.pdf. Maybe you have to belong to order.)

BUT does anyone know of something similar from USFSA?

I haven't found anything (apart from the Basic Skills Instructor's Manual, hard to order and equally ambiguous, and the rulebook, largely incomprehensible) that describes USFSA moves and standards.

I've wondered if the USFSA standards are inhereted from the ISU, and whether they have better publications.

AshBugg44
09-04-2008, 07:27 AM
I know that there used to be USFS MITF tapes. My friend has both of them - one was pre-pre - juv, and the other was inter - senior. I don't know if they still make them or not!

phoenix
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I know that there used to be USFS MITF tapes. My friend has both of them - one was pre-pre - juv, and the other was inter - senior. I don't know if they still make them or not!

Actually they're from PSA. I believe you can still order them.

Query
09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Just looked at the PSA online store.

1. There is no description of the PSA "Moves in the Field" DVD.
Could you describe it?

2. They also sell a "Coach's Manual". (Which you have to be a member to buy. I think I would only be qualified to join as a "patron". Not sure if I could buy that way.) The description does not indicate whether it describes how to do skating skills. Does it?

Skittl1321
09-04-2008, 11:31 AM
It sounds like you are looking more for moves, but the USFS does offer a Basic Skills DVD.

It is listed on this order form http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/BS-orderform.pdf

Our rink has it, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

As for the Instructor's Manual for Basic Skills- I think it is incredibly useful. The descriptions of the moves and the standard at which they perform are very helpful. What more were you wanting from it? (And it's also not difficult to order. It's also on that form. You just have to be a registered BS program to get it. So have your director send the form in.)

The USFS rulebook, however, is impossible to make rhyme or reason of. But it's purpose is not to teach any skills, it's purpose is to make clear the rules of the sport.

Thin-Ice
09-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Yes, but these are not always skated to the appropriate level of "passing". Some are skated above the passing level and some are skated below... so while they may show the basic ideas of the various moves, not all the elements will be skated at the level you need to pass the test you are watching.

Pgh.Coach
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes, but these are not always skated to the appropriate level of "passing". Some are skated above the passing level and some are skated below... so while they may show the basic ideas of the various moves, not all the elements will be skated at the level you need to pass the test you are watching.

Very true. For instance, have a look at the USFS's MIF clips for the proposed changes (http://www.usfsa.org/Shell.asp?sid=37811). The videos of the Senior level change loops (back outside and back inside), for instance, specifically state that the "clip is not at passing standard." Often that claim isn't explicitly stated (if at all), so kudos to the the USFS for pointing that one out.

While the skater gives viewers a general idea of how the change loops are supposed to be executed, the control, flow, and "quietness" of upperbody are lacking, three qualities that judges specifically look for when judging a [passing] MIF element.

So, although videos and instructional manuals can provide helpful hints for coaches, ultimately the hands-on experience with coaching a particular level/element is far more beneficial than watching video clips, reading references, etc.

Skittl1321
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
The videos of the Senior level change loops (back outside and back inside), for instance, specifically state that the "clip is not at passing standard." Often that claim isn't explicitly stated (if at all), so kudos to the the USFS for pointing that one out.

And some of the adult MITF pattern videos on the website (especially PB!) need the opposite disclaimer "Please note, no skater attempting their first test will ever look anything like this."

dbny
09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Just looked at the PSA online store.

1. There is no description of the PSA "Moves in the Field" DVD.
Could you describe it?

The moves are grouped by test level and introduced in the order in which they are skated. Each move is accompanied by voice and followed by teaching "tips", some of which I think are just batty. The pace is slow, but you can FF, of course. I do think this is a worthwhile purchase if you are coaching, and maybe even if you are testing, although your coach should be your first and last resource for testing.

2. They also sell a "Coach's Manual". (Which you have to be a member to buy. I think I would only be qualified to join as a "patron". Not sure if I could buy that way.) The description does not indicate whether it describes how to do skating skills. Does it?

I bought one in September, and have not yet received it. It was not digital and the whole thing had to be redone manually. Evidently it is still a work in progress.

slusher
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
The videos of the Senior level change loops (back outside and back inside), for instance, specifically state that the "clip is not at passing standard."

Are the loops supposed to be all the same size?

Pgh.Coach
09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Are the loops supposed to be all the same size?

I would hope so, but evidently that's not the case in the examples. I also don't think they're supposed be as scratchy as shown.

I really wish I could have went to this year's PSA Conference in Chicago. I heard that some of the coaches were able to see demonstrations of the proposed moves and had a chance to play around with them. Hopefully this May I'll make it on down to sunny Orlando and have the opportunity to learn more about 'em! 8-)

Skittl1321
09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I would hope so, but evidently that's not the case in the examples. I also don't think they're supposed be as scratchy as shown.

Our freestyle group coach demonstrated the loops move one day, and his were definetly all the same size. (Aren't loops supposed to be some proportion of your height? So they'd have to be all the same size)

Isk8NYC
09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
The USFSA has a Basic Skills Instructional DVD for $15.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/BS-orderform.pdf

Our skating director is having instructor meetings where that DVD is going to be watched, so everyone's on the same page with what skills are passing level and when a skater should be held back.

I thought I had seen the ISI WeSkate DVD at a conference about two years ago, but that might have been the promotional materials CD; not sure. The ISI Asia site has had the ISI Freestyle Dance Step Sequence standards videos online for a while.

I have a PSA Coaches' Manual from a few years ago and it's pretty good, esp. the parts about managing a class and using the space. It had a great section on PSA rankings and ratings as well that really made it clear.

It wasn't mentioned, but I think the Basic Skills Lesson Planner is an OUTSTANDING tool to use for class management.

I disagree about the USFSA instructor's manual being difficult to use. Sure, the footwork explanations are confusing, but the elements descriptions are very good. They're very much like the ISI's Test Handbook descriptions. It's not intended to be used to teach yourself, it's a teacher's tool to use in teaching skaters to reach the standards.

techskater
09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
There is a PSA video for MIF.

Isk8NYC
09-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Duplicate threads merged.

Query
09-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I volunteer instruct at a local rink, and the figure skating director gave me the basic skills manual. It doesn't cover a lot of the dance skills, and has a fair number of ambiguities, like the ISI manual.

Skaters and coaches frequently claim certain aspects of motion are required to pass USFSA tests, but contradict each other and exactly what. The rulebook is pretty useless in this. I was hoping to find something more authoritative.

Isk8NYC
09-07-2008, 09:49 PM
The USFSA has a Basic Skills Instructional DVD for $15.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/BS-orderform.pdf
Just a quick recap on this DVD. The USFSA used computerized graphic "skaters" to demonstrate the elements. It organizes the elements not by test level but by category: jumps, spins, turns, etc. as they relate to basic skills. Each element had a voiceover along with nice slide-show bullet points along on side, so you could hear/read as you watched the demos.

The graphics were okay; the blades disappeared from their skates a few times but the most disturbing image was watching the skater enter spins from back crossovers. S/he turned completely around before the entry edge - never went "back to center." There were a few things described, such as the kick through on a jump, that was stated/bulleted, but not really demonstrated by the CGI skater. *shrugs*

Isk8NYC
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I volunteer instruct at a local rink, and the figure skating director gave me the basic skills manual. It doesn't cover a lot of the dance skills, and has a fair number of ambiguities, like the ISI manual.

Skaters and coaches frequently claim certain aspects of motion are required to pass USFSA tests, but contradict each other and exactly what. The rulebook is pretty useless in this. I was hoping to find something more authoritative.See if the USFSA Learn to Teach workshops are being offered and attend one of them - well worth the money, in my opinion. There are sessions coming up soon in Atlanta and Colorado; may be others closer to you if you contact the office.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=305

The director can contact the USFSA to set one up with both on- and off-ice instruction. It's really very useful to be able to discuss and see what the standards are in real-life.