View Full Version : How did you feel when you first heard your name called to skate?

FSWer
08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Say,I don't think this has ever been talked about before. What I want to know from all of you today is..how did you feel when you first heard your name called to skate?

celticprincess
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Ummm to be honest...at my first event at my first comp..they pronounced my name wrong. So initally I was grumbling about that and thinking "No, it's ." But then I got over it. Nowadays at comps, when they announce my name I think 'Okay here goes nothing." or "Holy Crap" or vary rarely "Here we go again"...but that was due to me doing programmes back to back. But you get the idea...it's a cross between excited, scared, nervous, confident,..etc:)

looplover
08-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Absolutely terrified.

Seriously.

I wanted to run out to my car!8O

Clarice
08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Me, too. Terrified. All I could think was "Why am I doing this to myself?"

liz_on_ice
08-30-2008, 09:27 PM
I settle under pressure. Before my skate I'm all kinds of terrified, but when they call my name - I get focused and I go.

jazzpants
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
VERY VERY first time? SCARED AS HELL!!! 8O 8O 8O I've never competed before. Worst part was before my name was called I was trying to settle myself from overhearing the coach of the other competitor I was competing again during the warmup saying "Okay, now do a lutz..." (This was WAAAAAY back when a lutz was allowed in Pre-Bronze FS.) I was thinking "OH SH*T!!! What did I get myself into" :roll: I think I finally forced myself to settle and tell myself that a Silver medal isn't that bad for a first comp -- I just don't have to tell anyone that it was 2nd out of 2nd, right? By the time my named was called, it was GO GO GO!!! ;)

But VERY first time at Adults National this year? I was VERY HAPPY!!! I felt I've finally ARRIVED!!! All those years of working and toiling away at passing the tests necessarily to qualify for AN and then putting together a program while saving up for the trip. It's GREAT to see the dream of having my primary coach putting me out for my first AN technical event finally come true!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (Apparently, primary coach was also nostogic too, but he showed it while making sure I was dressed and had full makeup on and all!!! Once that was done... it's "straight to business -- just another competition.")

ibreakhearts66
08-31-2008, 01:55 AM
To be honest, I don't remember. I really don't remember hearing my name called at my first competition. Actually, I can't really remember hearing it at any of my competitions. I mean, obviously I do, but I think my brain hears the announcer start speaking and immediately starts thinking about skating out there, presenting myself, hitting my opening position, etc.

Sessy
08-31-2008, 06:15 AM
They pronounced mine wrong too - they split it up in two names... But overall it's pretty weird because I was used to dancing, and in dancing they just called the number of the couple (each couple gets a number at competition, which is then pinned to the back of the male in the couple). So I was used to listening for the right number, not like just getting called by name.

Mrs Redboots
08-31-2008, 07:58 AM
They always pronounce my name wrong, which makes me irritated enough (you'd think they'd know by now!) to relax a bit.

Actually, it's the best feeling in the world, even if they do pronounce your name wrong - especially when everybody cheers and claps. Much better beforehand, as the applause afterwards is usually more polite than enthusiastic!

black
08-31-2008, 08:45 AM
:!: :!: Here we go...

sk8lady
08-31-2008, 09:07 AM
"thank G-d, now I can get this over with!"

isakswings
08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Say,I don't think this has ever been talked about before. What I want to know from all of you today is..how did you feel when you first heard your name called to skate?

Dd was nervous about her name being announced! I think she was more cocnerned about that then she was about skating in front of a group of people. LOL! In the end she didn't mind it. The only bad thing IMO, is when she finnished, the announcer said the WRONG name! In his defense, the girl ahead of her was Jennie and my daughter is Janae and both of their last names started with AL. LOL

sk8_4fun
08-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Sick...........!

jskater49
08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
"WHY DID I THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???"

And they usually get both my first and last name wrong...I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me.

j

TimDavidSkate
08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
8O Too late to turn back now, let's see how this goes 8O

Sessy
09-01-2008, 07:33 AM
They always pronounce my name wrong, which makes me irritated enough (you'd think they'd know by now!) to relax a bit.

Actually, it's the best feeling in the world, even if they do pronounce your name wrong - especially when everybody cheers and claps. Much better beforehand, as the applause afterwards is usually more polite than enthusiastic!

LOL - act like me at my first skating competition, make a lot of horrible-looking falls such as bellyflops, then you get applause out of pity... :twisted:

Rusty Blades
09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I actually said it to the head coach who accompanied me to my first competition when they called my name and she asked me how I felt. I replied "I am going to OWN this place for the next 5 minutes!" and off I went.

TOTALLY unjustified! Egotistical! Disillusionary! I am a rank beginner, don't have much of a repertoire, and don't do much well but hey, this is competition so I am at least going to skate with ATTITUDE!

Mrs Redboots
09-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I actually said it to the head coach who accompanied me to my first competition when they called my name and she asked me how I felt. I replied "I am going to OWN this place for the next 5 minutes!" and off I went.

TOTALLY unjustified! Egotistical! Disillusionary! I am a rank beginner, don't have much of a repertoire, and don't do much well but hey, this is competition so I am at least going to skate with ATTITUDE!

Amen, Sista! Quite right too. And it's exactly that that pulls your 2nd mark (under the relative system) right up!

celticprincess
09-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Actually it's not so much my name being announced that makes me think 'hold crap' or horrid thoughts like that. Its more reality hits me when my coach and I are standing right at the entrance of the ice and she tells me to kick A**. Yes she really does...and that would normally make me crack up if I wasn't so nervous that is. Sometimes I dont even hear my name being announced because I either tuned it out or sooo focused and excited. I remember I was like that in my first comp when lined up to do my showcase. I honestly can't even remember if they said my name or mispronounced it. I loved that programme, so I guess I just was really excited to do it.