View Full Version : Axel help

xofivebyfive
08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
here is a video of my current axel attempts. I know I need to bring my leg through more but do you have any other advice for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjFj7APmrYw

vesperholly
08-30-2008, 08:11 PM
More through is not the problem here. Your free foot is passing by the skating foot, which is enough, and you're getting good rotation. The problem is as you kick through, you never go up. You've got a forceful kick, but all your momentum is shooting straight across, not upward. If you pause the video right before your left foot leaves the ice, you'll see that the bottom of your right skate is, max, at the same height as the top of your left boot. You can't achieve more height on the jump once you're in the air — it's all downhill from there.

So, to get more height, you need to bend the right knee and drive it upwards, so your thigh is parallel to the ice. Think about bouncing a ball off the top of your thigh. The bottom of your skate should be even with the bottom of your kneecap. This should give you more height, which will give you enough time to complete the rotation.

Very good attempts, though! :)

RachelSk8er
08-30-2008, 08:37 PM
You have no problem with the rotation and landing, you just need to work on staying down in your L knee on the edge going into it and really driving the R knee up on the takeoff to get more height--basically, you've got the rotation and landing, you just need to put some muscle into it to get the height. A good off-ice drill to get the feeling down is to skip and focus on driving the knee up and getting as much height as you can. My coach teaches to not even think of rotation, just think of really driving the knee and getting up--if you had an imaginary flight of stairs, you don't want to start rotating until you get to the top of the flight. Then the rotation will just happen. I think on some of the attempts, you could keep your R shoulder back a tad longer, too.

I'm jealous :( Mine were really progressing but I haven't been on the ice in a week because my law school classes started so I couldn't make summer sessions any more and regular ice doesn't start until this week! It's hard to describe, but my coach teaches to do it with the L arm in front kind of bent in front of you (he has me in the same position going into a lutz but I'm obviously backward) to keep the R shoulder back, and the combination of that and driving the R leg up should feel like you're trying to jump through a narrow doorway--it feels awkward at first but now I actually am getting that down, I really get the height. Even though I've yet to land cleanly (mainly because I chicken out), it feels MUCH better than my somewhat successful "step forward, fling my body in the air and hope I land backwards on one foot" lack of technique that worked just fine for me when I was a kid before I quit freestyle.

vesperholly
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I think on some of the attempts, you could keep your R shoulder back a tad longer, too.
That's good advice. Holding the shoulder back will also help you to hold the F edge longer, which gives you more time to get that free leg travelling up.

patatty
08-31-2008, 07:11 AM
One thing I noticed is that your takeoff is really curvy, and your shoulders are coming around a lot during the takeoff. My coach always emphasizes a really straight takeoff edge, with the shoulders parallel to the direction of skating, so that you take off straight, jump up, and then rotate. It gives a better "snap" and you can get more rotation (and crossed legs) that way. You really need to hold the takeoff edge until you can get a good knee bend too. It feels a little scary at first. I chicken out and rush the takeoff a lot, but when I can actually hold it, it really works.

peanutskates
09-07-2008, 04:38 AM
all this advice is really good, I think the mods should sticky it! I'm working on my axel right now, and this advice is exactly what I need..

My coach told me to swing my leg up and not focus on rotating, and that made such a difference. It felt easier, too. So definitely do that.

doubletoe
09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I notice the better ones were the ones you did from a standstill. That's because when you set up your axel from a mohawk entrance (on a half circle), you stayed on the same circle when stepping down onto your takeoff edge. If you do that, you will stay over your left side and you won't ever get backward over the right hip. Instead, you need to push OUT of the circle you're on. That will create the same T position between your right foot and left foot as when you push off onto the takeoff edge from a standstill. Does that make sense?

A few more things that should help:
- Arch your back as you push out onto the takeoff edge. That will help you get your weight over your takeoff knee and the ball of your takeoff foot. It will also keep you lined up over your hips so you'll feel secure on takeoff.
- Keep your free foot very still when you are on the takeoff edge (your position is correct: bent free leg with foot turned out like an attitude position)
- Hold your takeoff edge for a count of two, which is one beat longer than you are holding it now. I think "arch, straight, up!" because it gives me the right amount of time on the takeoff edge and also reminds me to arch my back and keep my edge straight instead of letting it curve around.
- As you lift up into the air, and start to transfer your weight to the right side, focus your attention on the shin of your right leg, just below the knee. That is the part of your leg that should be leading you into the jump, and that is where you should feel the calf of your other leg touch once you get backwards and pull in.
You are really close, so keep up the good work! :D:bow:

Isk8NYC
09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Takeoff from a deeper knee bend and control that entry edge - it's a bit too deep a curve.
Make sure you roll up to the toepick on takeoff (I can't tell if you are or not).
Lead with your left shoulder on takeoff - don't square your shoulders.
You're changing axes (from left to right side) but you're not aligning your upper body.
(In other words - tighter backspin position - you're a bit open in the air after the transition.

patatty
09-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Lead with your left shoulder on takeoff - don't square your shoulders..

It only took me 3 years to figure that one out. Like magic, my axels improved dramatically, and the takeoff edge feels so much more comfortable. My coach was always telling me to take off square, but I think that she was referring to the actual moment of takeoff, and not the step onto the takeoff edge. If you start the takeoff square, you sure won't be square by the time you leave the ice.

Pgh.Coach
09-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Make sure you roll up to the toepick on takeoff (I can't tell if you are or not).
Lead with your left shoulder on takeoff - don't square your shoulders.

These are the two most common axel-related problems I see in the skaters I coach. Well, those and not bringing the free leg knee through and up enough.

Isk8NYC
09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
It only took me 3 years to figure that one out. Like magic, my axels improved dramatically, and the takeoff edge feels so much more comfortable. My coach was always telling me to take off square, but I think that she was referring to the actual moment of takeoff, and not the step onto the takeoff edge. If you start the takeoff square, you sure won't be square by the time you leave the ice.

These are the two most common axel-related problems I see in the skaters I coach. Well, those and not bringing the free leg knee through and up enough.
The free leg isn't the problem in this video, but the shoulders are holding her back.

Another thing that I've noticed in certain rinks is that the kids don't use their arms very much - they just fling them from side (not behind) to in front and wrap 'em across.

I thought it might be related to the newer technique of using a skid entrance, but I'm not sure. To me, it's a bit ugly, but I was taught the fireman's pole axis change, so what do I know?

Kim to the Max
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I thought it might be related to the newer technique of using a skid entrance, but I'm not sure. To me, it's a bit ugly, but I was taught the fireman's pole axis change, so what do I know?

There is a running joke between myself, coach and one of the other coaches our age at the rink about "being the pole" and about poles that are not entirely family friendly....it is quite funny when we get on a role....oftentimes it ends up with me on the ice laughing hysterically....too bad I am not usually "one with the pole" and my axels suffer because of it...

Pgh.Coach
09-09-2008, 05:08 AM
The free leg isn't the problem in this video, but the shoulders are holding her back.

Another thing that I've noticed in certain rinks is that the kids don't use their arms very much - they just fling them from side (not behind) to in front and wrap 'em across.

No, her free leg is fine in the video. I was just making a comment in general about what I tend to see in other skaters.

And, I completely agree about the flinging arms! No wonder we see so many shoulder problems on the entrance, such as the right shoulder creeping around on CCW jumpers. I tell my skaters to think of bowling on the entrance; bowling in the sense of bringing a bowling ball back prior to rolling it and holding their right side behind with the left side leading. A master-rated coach showed me this example and for kids who have gone bowling, they seem to understand the concept pretty well.

RachelSk8er
09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
There is a running joke between myself, coach and one of the other coaches our age at the rink about "being the pole" and about poles that are not entirely family friendly....it is quite funny when we get on a role....oftentimes it ends up with me on the ice laughing hysterically....too bad I am not usually "one with the pole" and my axels suffer because of it...

Ha ha my (straight, single male) coach uses that too....my usual response..."I'm not like the girls you date!"

Kim to the Max
09-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Ha ha my (straight, single male) coach uses that too....my usual response..."I'm not like the girls you date!"

Nice... :)

I am thinking about getting t-shirts made up that say, "Be the Pole"...

RachelSk8er
09-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Yesterday I worked with my personal trainer, who is wonderful, and despite knowing very little about figure skating, he had me doing one of THE BEST off-ice axel drills I've done.

If your gym has a small platform about a foot to a foot and a half off the ground (about the height of a tall step) that is a metal frame on the bottom, like these:

http://www.shapeupshop.com/plyometrics/power_plyo_box.htm

and some of those long bungee cords with handles on the ends....

http://www.shapeupshop.com/bands_balls_tubes_bars/versa_tube.htm

Loop the bungee under the bottom of the platform on the side so that you can hold on to both handles with one hand...if you jump R handed, you'll want them on the L side of the platform. Hold both handles in your L hand, and put your L foot on the platform. Then focus on bringing the rest of your body up by driving your R knee and really scooping and pulling up with your R arm, just like you're taking off for an axel....hold at the top for a second and lower yourself back down so your R side is back on the floor. Repeat 10x. He had me also do this on the other side just to keep things even (crazy how much easier it is for me to balance doing this the way I do axels).

My coach has basically had me do the same thing using the curb at our rink, but having the bungees in the other hand to provide some resistance was a really good--you really had to focus on driving the knee up much more. The whole driving the knee up AND using my R arm has kind of been one of my downfalls and I really think this helped me get the feel--it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement when I skate tomorrow!