View Full Version : Testing Ice Dance - What are they Looking For?

katz in boots
08-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Where I live we only get to do ISA (Australian) tests when a judge is over here from interstate to judge a competition. I was under the impression that there wouldn't be one this time, but I heard today that there will be. That means I will be attempting the Elementary 1 Dance test in 5 weeks 8O

Dutch Waltz & Canasta Tango are the dances. I know the steps, and coach says I'm getting better at dancing them with her. Just wondering what are the main things judges look for in dance tests.

Speed & flow (Like you can do that on a 1/4 size rink ;) ), posture, no toe-picking, pointed toes, extension, not taking partner's feet out from under them. I am pretty new to ice dance, so am not sure what else is important to keep in mind.

vesperholly
08-30-2008, 05:36 AM
The first level of dances (Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango and Rhythm Blues in the US) are typically encouragement dances. Do the correct steps, mostly on-time and generally recognizable edges, and you'll be fine.

jskater49
08-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Timing and edges.

Unfortunately when I do one of those well, I tend to loose the other!

j

sk8tmum
08-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Carriage too ... although it might not be one of the "official" need to pass look fors at this level: they want to see you with good posture, head up, not "breaking" at the waist. It's a hard habit to break if you start falling into the bad posture trap, and, you'll definitely need to have good posture in the later dances.

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2008, 07:18 AM
And while, again at this level, it's not a requirement, if you can show that they are two different dances, that will help, too. For the tango, make sure you pause your leg at each end of the swing rolls, lots of knee action, and turn your head sharply as you change lobes. For the waltz, the leg and head action should be continuous, and the whole dance more flowy and lilty.

You should pass, though - the only people I've ever seen fail Level 1 here are those who step their dances, not skate them!

coskater64
08-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Stay on time, do the correct steps, skate on edges as per the pattern. Good carriage and nice flow. On the dutch remember the timing on the progressive and try not to look terrified.8O8O

LilJen
08-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Also more or less sticking to the described pattern. But if you do the steps & edges correct, that will happen.

katz in boots
08-31-2008, 03:27 AM
...and try not to look terrified.8O8O

Ah, that could be a challenge, as I expect I shall be terrified.

Are head turns expected at this level? Coach hasn't put any in at this stage, though perhaps she'll get to that once she's certain the rest of my body is doing the right thing.

Sounds like most people don't consider this first test to be a biggie. Are these the dances in the first level of testing in other countries?

fsk8r
08-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Ah, that could be a challenge, as I expect I shall be terrified.

Are head turns expected at this level? Coach hasn't put any in at this stage, though perhaps she'll get to that once she's certain the rest of my body is doing the right thing.

Sounds like most people don't consider this first test to be a biggie. Are these the dances in the first level of testing in other countries?

In having the coach with you, they'll be able to hide some of your fear and help stop your legs from buckling (I saw one coach yank the tester up when she nearly tripped and the judges didn't even notice!). Other than the whole timing and edges thing, try and stay in time not just with the music but with your coach (as if it's not the same thing) but also try and have as much extension (toe pointing) as your coach.
I test solo and was pulled up at my first test for not toe-pointing (again at my second) but know someone else at my first test doing the same one as me, who was told that he wasn't pointing the same amount as his coach.
I think the timing requirements in the UK at this level are something like 75% in time. My coach always told me that it's either in time or it's out of time, but I did manage to prove with my dutch waltz that it's possible to start out of time and get back into time. I spent the whole time freaking out about it and didn't realise that I'd corrected it, and then went over to the judge and told him that I was out of time. He didn't care and was more concerned about my lack of toe-pointing. But my timing issue was because I'm better doing a Dutch before a Canasta because the Canasta is faster and was made to test (and had never practiced) the other way around. I don't think the judge would have minded had I done them the other way around, but I was the second person testing that level so the coach doing the music automatically put it on the same way as before.

But you're right at level 1 they are trying to encourage you and it shouldn't be a big deal, but I've heard of people failing things, so there is a standard (it's just not very hard to meet).

Pgh.Coach
08-31-2008, 08:52 AM

Yes, the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, and Rhythm Blues are the three dances (in the first level, Preliminary) in the U.S.

And, don't worry about passing. Like others have said, the important things at this introductory level of dance are the ability to skate strong, correct edges and stay on time with the music, which basically means knowing which steps and edges are held for which counts. The ability to stay (relatively) on pattern is key, too. But if you're test structure is anything like in the U.S., you will only need to partner, not solo, the dance, so your partner should be able to help you out when it comes to staying on pattern and time.

According to the U.S. Figure Skating rulebook, judges want to see "erect, natural body position, good carriage and easy flow without too much effort" for the Dutch Waltz. Basically, relax and you should be fine. By "erect, natural body position," we're talking about bending the knees and ankles rather than at the waist and keeping the head and eyes up, or at the very least, not looking down at the ice.

For the Canasta, the rulebook emphasizes that "it is of utmost importance that a toe push be avoided." Skaters should take care to turn the toe out, not down, on all extensions. Regarding expression, judges are looking for "neat footwork, good edges, tango expression and good carriage..." Tango expresssion, at this level, can be achieved by keeping the steps neat and sharp (bringing the feet together, turning out and pointing the toes, etc.), demonstrating controlled extensions through the free leg and toe, and showing a soft knee action, especially on the chasses.

I've rarely seen judges fail the Prelimary dances. A skater would have to completely deviate from the pattern or correct edges/steps or have absolutely no sense of timing in order for this to happen.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :D

sk8lady
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
In the U.S., the Preliminary dances are considered "encouragement" tests, so you would have to screw up quite noticeably to get a retry.
When I took the Prelims, the comments primarily to improve edges and posture. Comments about expression were limited to "if your posture was better your expression would be better." My timing is extremely good (a result of a thousand years of flute, piano, and voice lessons and performance!) and I rarely get any comments on these either way.
They generally don't bother to make nice comments--they only describe what needs improvement.

Mrs Redboots
08-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Ah, that could be a challenge, as I expect I shall be terrified. In dance competitions, one of the marks is given for "Timing and Expression" - terrified isn't the expression they are looking for.

Are head turns expected at this level? Coach hasn't put any in at this stage, though perhaps she'll get to that once she's certain the rest of my body is doing the right thing.You trust your coach!

Sounds like most people don't consider this first test to be a biggie. Are these the dances in the first level of testing in other countries?In the UK the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango are Level 2; the Rhythm Blues is Level 1 along with what's called the Novice Foxtrot (runs and swings). I am just as glad it wasn't when I took my first compulsory dance test, or I'd be trying it yet - I am only just, now, after 13-odd years, getting the closed chassés as they should be....

sk8_4fun
08-31-2008, 12:33 PM
In dance competitions, one of the marks is given for "Timing and Expression" - terrified isn't the expression they are looking for.

You trust your coach!

In the UK the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango are Level 2; the Rhythm Blues is Level 1 along with what's called the Novice Foxtrot (runs and swings). I am just as glad it wasn't when I took my first compulsory dance test, or I'd be trying it yet - I am only just, now, after 13-odd years, getting the closed chassés as they should be....

Oh how I hate those two dances! who would have thought runs and swings are so difficult to do nicely! and as for those closed chasses.................8O

jskater49
08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
In the U.S., the Preliminary dances are considered "encouragement" tests, so you would have to screw up quite noticeably to get a retry.

Honestly, I didn't think I screwed up noticably but when I read these blanket promises that these dances are "easy" to pass...I just want to say...while I passed the prelim dances with a partner rather easily---ten years later, it took me 4 tries to pass the Dutch Waltz. Most of the time the comments were my edges were not good enough. One judge said my timing was off once but EVERYONE else who watched and counted, including my coach, said my timing was fine.

And when I finally passed it, I honestly didn't feel like I danced it any better than the last test...I know people like to blame retries on "picky judges" but I tell you it sure as h..ll was NOT an encouragement test for me. In fact, it left me quite frightened to test again and I deliberately waited until I turned 50 so I can test my next dance at the lower master's standard.

Not to discourage you...just a little balance to the "oh these tests are easy to pass" choir....

j

phoenix
08-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I think the main thing here is the fact that you were testing solo--the Dutch Waltz is actually not that easy to skate *well* solo--given that most people aren't real strong skaters when they test at this first level. I can see that it would be much harder to skate a passing test solo. Most people are pushed onto decent edges by the strong partner/coach who they're testing with. Which is also why you aren't asked to solo dances (on the standard track) until you hit silver, by which time you should be able to stand on your own feet & hit those edges yourself.

So--yes, I do think the partnered test is quite easy to pass given that correct steps/edges & timing are demonstrated.

Honestly, I didn't think I screwed up noticably but when I read these blanket promises that these dances are "easy" to pass...I just want to say...while I passed the prelim dances with a partner rather easily---ten years later, it took me 4 tries to pass the Dutch Waltz. Most of the time the comments were my edges were not good enough. One judge said my timing was off once but EVERYONE else who watched and counted, including my coach, said my timing was fine.

And when I finally passed it, I honestly didn't feel like I danced it any better than the last test...I know people like to blame retries on "picky judges" but I tell you it sure as h..ll was NOT an encouragement test for me. In fact, it left me quite frightened to test again and I deliberately waited until I turned 50 so I can test my next dance at the lower master's standard.

Not to discourage you...just a little balance to the "oh these tests are easy to pass" choir....

j

katz in boots
09-01-2008, 03:40 AM
...Not to discourage you...just a little balance to the "oh these tests are easy to pass" choir....j

Thanks for that. I actually get quite worried when someone tells me it's easy, cos it'll make me feel even worse if I don't pass.

Elementary 1 is the first ISA dance test in Australia, and has to be partnered by someone who has already passed that level. We aren't big on dance here (1/4 size rink doesn't encourage it, and figure skating is considered way less than manly, so we don't have many guys), so I don't have much of a yardstick to measure against.

Skaters should take care to turn the toe out, not down, on all extensions.

Oh man, I was trying to turn my toe out on extensions, but coach said it has to point down, not out. Now I'm totally confused !!!

Clarice
09-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Oh man, I was trying to turn my toe out on extensions, but coach said it has to point down, not out. Now I'm totally confused !!!

I'd say point the toe "out and down" - it would be much easier to just be able to show you! Maybe somebody can post an appropriate picture. If you're extending your leg to the back, the toe and knee definitely shouldn't be pointing straight down towards the ice - the leg should be turned out from the hip, and then you also point the toe down. Same thing in front - turn the leg out from the hip, then point the toe down.

phoenix
09-01-2008, 08:08 AM

That's a style thing that different coaches want different ways. For awhile I was working w/ 2 coaches & they differed on this---one wanted foot turned out, one wanted it turned down. I finally ended up dropping one & just having 1 coach because it was too hard to change how I skated depending on who was watching me (there were other differences too)! Btw, I kept the coach who wanted them turned out---that seems to be the more common style (at least here in the states).

jskater49
09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I think the main thing here is the fact that you were testing solo--the Dutch Waltz is actually not that easy to skate *well* solo--given that most people aren't real strong skaters when they test at this first level. I can see that it would be much harder to skate a passing test solo. Most people are pushed onto decent edges by the strong partner/coach who they're testing with. Which is also why you aren't asked to solo dances (on the standard track) until you hit silver, by which time you should be able to stand on your own feet & hit those edges yourself.

So--yes, I do think the partnered test is quite easy to pass given that correct steps/edges & timing are demonstrated.

That's true - and I did pass easily with a partner.

I was just starting to feel a little like a royal loser with everyone saying how easy it was --when it was such a struggle for me!

j

icedancer2
09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I think it was Jerod Swallow who said that if the Dutch Waltz were a Gold Dance no one would pass it - it is that hard!!

Kudos to all of the dancers!

Pgh.Coach
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM

Understandable, and as always, trust your coach. Perhaps she wants you to think of pointing down to avoid getting a flexed foot position, which is not a flattering free foot position.

katz in boots
09-02-2008, 04:02 AM
Understandable, and as always, trust your coach. Perhaps she wants you to think of pointing down to avoid getting a flexed foot position, which is not a flattering free foot position.

Yeah, maybe. We both wear Jackson Proflex boots, so pointing the toe isn't too hard, though she did mention mine wasn't pointing down a couple of lessons ago.

My coach tends to give me things in increments though, so maybe she wants me to focus on the pointing down to begin with, to make sure I do that, and then will introduce the turn out. 5 weeks to test day, & counting 8O so anything extra she's gonna add needs to come pretty soon.

Morgail
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I was just starting to feel a little like a royal loser with everyone saying how easy it was --when it was such a struggle for me!

heh heh...me too. I failed the Canasta Tango and the Rhythm Blues the first time (and the Cha Cha, too). I lost the count on the CT and RB, and that was it.

So, my advice is: don't lose count. Find out what cut of music will be played at the test and practice to it - a lot. If you go off time - even if you have beautiful edges and extension and expression - you won't pass.

RoaringSkates
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM

No, not at all.

RoaringSkates
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Practice to the music. Practice to the music. Practice to the music a LOT. With your partner and without her/him. Practice the partnering as much as humanly possible.

For me, with the dances, the hardest part is doing them to the music, and with the partner.

You will be tense on test day, and your legs will feel stiff. Remember to breathe, and to bend your knees.

And I always remind myself that each dance takes, like, 50 seconds to test. It's over before you know it. One way or the other, it's done in a flash. That seems to make me feel better just before the test.

fsk8r
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
For the rhythm blues I took a cut of the music and imposed the beat over the top (learnt how to use audactiy pretty quickly I was that freaked by the test) and for 4 days prior to the test I played the mp3 constantly. I walked the steps around the house and around the garden. Played the music in the office. I hate that music now, but I passed the test and I don't think I'd have passed without doing that.
I now don't remember the steps to the dance, but I still HATE that music. I'm hoping that I'm not going to have to resort to that again, but I have a feeling that the next time I get a piece of music where I can't hear the beat I'll be doing it.

BatikatII
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
IF you have any difficulty hearing the beat in the music it's worth listening to all the various versions of the ISU music to find the one you find easiest to follow the beat in. Actually dance the full two sequences to the one you choose to make sure that you can follow the beat all the way round. Some of the starts are easier to count in than others but some of the tunes have twiddly bits in the middle that tended to throw me off the beat every time (who knew it was so hard to count to 4!):lol:

Make sure that when you do your test, your coach plays the version you skate best to.

The UK test criteria only asks for about 60% in time to the music so if you go wrong but can get back on the correct beat you can still be OK. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere.

The main thing the coaches on my test seemed to look for was proper pushes (no toe-picking), correct edges and good pattern. Not really necessary to worry too much about the character of the dance, or to add any fancy arms at lower levels, although it's impressive if you can add them in. Otherwise just nice relaxed looking arms in good position with shoulders down and not hunched.

Hannahclear
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I just started trying to learn the Dutch Waltz this past Tuesday. It's not too bad, but I am easily confused so it will take me some time to memorize the patterns.

I had never really thought about stepping on the outside edge after a progressive. It didn't matter in the Power Stroking on the Bronze MITF test. Bad skater! I think this attention to detail is going to be very good for my skating. We'll see if I end up soloing at AN though. I'm not that fast a learner.

jskater49
09-04-2008, 07:08 AM
The UK test criteria only asks for about 60% in time to the music so if you go wrong but can get back on the correct beat you can still be OK. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere.

Oh man I wish that was the way it was here!! I can ALWAYS do at least 60% of it on time! In fact, I am very good at getting back on time once I get off...that has always amazed my coaches.

j

Skittl1321
09-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I just started trying to learn the Dutch Waltz this past Tuesday. It's not too bad, but I am easily confused so it will take me some time to memorize the patterns.

I had never really thought about stepping on the outside edge after a progressive. It didn't matter in the Power Stroking on the Bronze MITF test. Bad skater! I think this attention to detail is going to be very good for my skating. We'll see if I end up soloing at AN though. I'm not that fast a learner.

I could be totally off but the reason you didn't think about doing that step in the power stroking on bronze moves is because it's not there. On the power stroking you step onto the inside edge after the crossover (outside edge, crossover inside edge, change foot to insideedge)- in the dutch waltz there is an extra step before you cross the axis (outside edge, crossover inside edge, step outside edge, change foot to outside edge)

I have a great dutch waltz- if I can do the test on the royal carribbean cruise ship with the teeny ice rink. My entire pattern only fills about half the rink!!! So in reality, my dutch waltz is terrible. (Those swing rolls scare the crap out of me! I can do them okay on their own, but right after the progressive, my goodness!)

blue111moon
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
I love waltz music but I hate the Dutch waltz with all my heart. :)

The steps in the corners just don't make sense to me and I always screw them up. (Ask the Mountain Cup folks - I did either the Polish Waltz or a Dutch Polka there.) The only thing that saves me is the depth of my edges and my speed.

Which I owe to literally decades of doing figures. Which to me proves the value of figures - even doing them badly helps with other aspects of skating.

BatikatII
09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh man I wish that was the way it was here!! I can ALWAYS do at least 60% of it on time! In fact, I am very good at getting back on time once I get off...that has always amazed my coaches.

j

Just to clarify that the 60% on time is only for the first test which is Novice foxtrot (basically just runs and swings but really hard to do well as it requires quite big curves to make it work so is actually quite difficult to do - luckily it is not usually ever asked for in competition) and Rhythm Blues ( I love that dance although the cross behinds scared me to death the first time my coach showed me them).

After that they do expect you to improve on the timing and of course for competitions it needs to be spot on.

My biggest problem was always that the first few dances have such similar steps (or at least such a limited variety of steps so they are all very similar)that I find I go round a corner and can easily go into a completely different dance.

Not always a bad thing as I had my best marks in a competition one day where I started off with a lovely pattern of the Dutch Waltz, went round the corner and did the long side of the Rythm Blues steps. It fits just fine and just goes to show that often the jueges are not watching the second sequence.:lol: I managed to change back for the short end and because I kept going smoothly the judges never even noticed!

jskater49
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
My biggest problem was always that the first few dances have such similar steps (or at least such a limited variety of steps so they are all very similar)that I find I go round a corner and can easily go into a completely different dance.

Not always a bad thing as I had my best marks in a competition one day where I started off with a lovely pattern of the Dutch Waltz, went round the corner and did the long side of the Rythm Blues steps. It fits just fine and just goes to show that often the jueges are not watching the second sequence.:lol: I managed to change back for the short end and because I kept going smoothly the judges never even noticed!

Yea once I competed the Rhythm Blues and watched all the kids do the Dutch Waltz right before me....yup, I ended up doing a Dutch Waltz progressive instead of a Rhythm Blues progressive...and yes, the judges noticed. Note to self. DO NOT WATCH other dances before yours.

j

Hannahclear
09-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I could be totally off but the reason you didn't think about doing that step in the power stroking on bronze moves is because it's not there. On the power stroking you step onto the inside edge after the crossover (outside edge, crossover inside edge, change foot to outside edge)- in the dutch waltz there is an extra step before you cross the axis (outside edge, crossover inside edge, step outside edge, change foot to outside edge)

:lol: Well that's good to know. I always thought I had good power stroking. Still, the tendency is to do it like the MITF. I'll work on it again this weekend. Fun though...

katz in boots
09-05-2008, 03:54 AM
I'm pretty musical, so I don't have much trouble feeling the beat and how the steps go with the music. I have the music on my ipod for practise. Practising, however, is another matter.

I skate one freestyle session, and 2 public sessions per week. It is very difficult to practise dance patterns in any of those sessions. On a 1/4 size rink, the dance patterns take up a lot of room, making it very unusual to get a clean run through. I am going to have to book private ice time to get in a decent practise.

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2008, 06:41 AM
The steps in the corners just don't make sense to me and I always screw them up. (Ask the Mountain Cup folks - I did either the Polish Waltz or a Dutch Polka there.) The only thing that saves me is the depth of my edges and my speed.
Don't listen to her - she was great!

After that they do expect you to improve on the timing and of course for competitions it needs to be spot on.Which doesn't help when you get a judge whose sense of timing isn't what it should be - been there, done that (and the other judges obviously disagreed with him).

Oh tell me about it! It is all too easy to muddle the steps of the Rhythm Blues with those of the Golden Skaters' Waltz (what, you mean I shouldn't have done a chassé there?), or the latter with the Canasta Tango (you mean, there isn't a slide chassé after the cross-roll swing?), or those with the Fiesta Tango (Ah, perhaps I should have done a slide chassé, not a change-of-edge!)....

Yea once I competed the Rhythm Blues and watched all the kids do the Dutch Waltz right before me....yup, I ended up doing a Dutch Waltz progressive instead of a Rhythm Blues progressive...and yes, the judges noticed. Note to self. DO NOT WATCH other dances before yours.

jWhat, apart from timing, is the difference? Both dances begin LFO/RFI progressive/LFO/RFO swing.... it's after that that you can get caught out.

jskater49
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Don't listen to her - she was great!

What, apart from timing, is the difference? Both dances begin LFO/RFI progressive/LFO/RFO swing.... it's after that that you can get caught out.

It's that progressive in the middle of the side pattern and yes the timing is QUITE different.

j

fsk8r
09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh tell me about it! It is all too easy to muddle the steps of the Rhythm Blues with those of the Golden Skaters' Waltz (what, you mean I shouldn't have done a chassé there?), or the latter with the Canasta Tango (you mean, there isn't a slide chassé after the cross-roll swing?), or those with the Fiesta Tango (Ah, perhaps I should have done a slide chassé, not a change-of-edge!)....

Glad it's not me! I keep doing a golden skater's waltz and switching to a riverside rhumba for the end pattern just because both go into the end pattern with a chasse! (And up until now I've always told the coaches that chasses are optional extras even though I seem to always remember them, now it's things like swing rolls and cross roll swings which are optional extras). I'm so looking forward to getting this test (level 3) over with (not sure how soon that will be) so I can start going backwards and working on some dances which don't have identikit steps!

Mrs Redboots
09-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Glad it's not me! I keep doing a golden skater's waltz and switching to a riverside rhumba for the end pattern just because both go into the end pattern with a chasse! (And up until now I've always told the coaches that chasses are optional extras even though I seem to always remember them, now it's things like swing rolls and cross roll swings which are optional extras). I'm so looking forward to getting this test (level 3) over with (not sure how soon that will be) so I can start going backwards and working on some dances which don't have identikit steps!
Oh, you'll muddle the Fiesta Tango with the Canasta Tango - you do an RFO swing in the exact same place in the pattern, and it's all too easy to move into a slide chassé instead of changing edge and swinging back!

The only thing we ever muddled on the Swing Dance was the start, when Husband thought he was going into Kilian hold....

fsk8r
09-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh, you'll muddle the Fiesta Tango with the Canasta Tango - you do an RFO swing in the exact same place in the pattern, and it's all too easy to move into a slide chassé instead of changing edge and swinging back!

The only thing we ever muddled on the Swing Dance was the start, when Husband thought he was going into Kilian hold....

Something to look forward to then!
I've just been told I'm on a 3 week nothing but level 3 dance practice , as the coach has decided to push her luck and enter me for the next test session. Most definitely not my idea as I only get the steps right when I'm practicing about 50% of the time, although seem to get them right when the music's playing. I'll enter freak out mode once I've got the time off cleared by work. If I can get the timing sorted then there's just the minor issue of toe-pointing. I'm wondering what tactful comment the judges can come up with this time to tell me that I'm not pointing enough! Maybe I'll have to upgrade to dance boots for the next test.

Mrs Redboots
09-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Something to look forward to then!
I've just been told I'm on a 3 week nothing but level 3 dance practice , as the coach has decided to push her luck and enter me for the next test session. Most definitely not my idea as I only get the steps right when I'm practicing about 50% of the time, although seem to get them right when the music's playing. I'll enter freak out mode once I've got the time off cleared by work. If I can get the timing sorted then there's just the minor issue of toe-pointing. I'm wondering what tactful comment the judges can come up with this time to tell me that I'm not pointing enough! Maybe I'll have to upgrade to dance boots for the next test.
Oh, you'll pass! Do you go to your dance club at all (Tuesday nights, isn't it?) - that will give you experience of dancing loads of different dances with loads of different partners.

When Husband passed his Level 3, the judge wrote on the paper "Try to keep your hips further forwards", which, as he said, was her polite way of telling him not to stick his arse out!

fsk8r
09-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh, you'll pass! Do you go to your dance club at all (Tuesday nights, isn't it?) - that will give you experience of dancing loads of different dances with loads of different partners.

When Husband passed his Level 3, the judge wrote on the paper "Try to keep your hips further forwards", which, as he said, was her polite way of telling him not to stick his arse out!

Unfortunately I'm still in the mentality that I'm not "old" enough for dance club. Or rather I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into that. I do go down for the dance interval though as it's the only time I get any music other than in my lesson, and they don't complain about me dancing solo then. Apparently dance club disapproves of solo dance, and given that I test solo I only want to practice test dances solo as it means I keep the pattern I've been taught to and not the one any random strange man decides he wants to skate. I concede to dance partnered once the dance is off a test schedule (which will hopefully release the level 3 ones after September, but only on a wing and a prayer).

I wonder if the judges have to go on special course on the politically correct way of telling us all that we've got some serious flaws to our skating, whilst trying not to discourage us from showing up again. I just hope I get a different judge again so they don't know I'm a serial offender on the toe-pointing front.

sk8tmum
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I just hope I get a different judge again so they don't know I'm a serial offender on the toe-pointing front.

DD used to have lousy mohawks; struggled and struggled with the things in her dances. She's worked on them, they're good now ... but the main dance judge, you can almost see her lean out of her seat to stare with squinty little hyper-focussed eyes every time she comes to a mohawk in the dance. And, I can guarantee you, if they're even slightly off ... sigh, there's no wiggle room at all, whereas, skaters who have had decent ones in the past can miss one on a test day and still pass ... Soooo ... I guess she's a serial mohawk=offender still on parole, I hope she gets a pardon soon - ! :lol:

fsk8r
09-08-2008, 02:19 AM
DD used to have lousy mohawks; struggled and struggled with the things in her dances. She's worked on them, they're good now ... but the main dance judge, you can almost see her lean out of her seat to stare with squinty little hyper-focussed eyes every time she comes to a mohawk in the dance. And, I can guarantee you, if they're even slightly off ... sigh, there's no wiggle room at all, whereas, skaters who have had decent ones in the past can miss one on a test day and still pass ... Soooo ... I guess she's a serial mohawk=offender still on parole, I hope she gets a pardon soon - ! :lol:

I'll just have to hope that our normal local dance judge forgets her glasses! Or that we get a different visiting judge in. Really not looking forward to it. Why did the coach have to tell me a month ago that there are no reskates on dance tests? I was quite happy believing that I'd get a second go when I messed up, knowing that there are no second chances, hasn't exactly eased my anxiety on these things (especially when she's taking bets out whether my sister will get a better mark than me on the same test, at the same test session - it's a safe bet because I really shouldn't be entered).

Mrs Redboots
09-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Unfortunately I'm still in the mentality that I'm not "old" enough for dance club. Or rather I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into that. I do go down for the dance interval though as it's the only time I get any music other than in my lesson, and they don't complain about me dancing solo then. Apparently dance club disapproves of solo dance, and given that I test solo I only want to practice test dances solo as it means I keep the pattern I've been taught to and not the one any random strange man decides he wants to skate. I concede to dance partnered once the dance is off a test schedule (which will hopefully release the level 3 ones after September, but only on a wing and a prayer).
I don't blame you - I won't go to your rink's dance club, either! Come to ours - Thursdays at 7:00 pm - it's much more relaxed!

fsk8r
09-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I don't blame you - I won't go to your rink's dance club, either! Come to ours - Thursdays at 7:00 pm - it's much more relaxed!

Would love to, but the synchro coach would probably kill me for skipping practice!