View Full Version : Update on my health... no fun :(

Sessy
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Soooo long story cut really short, I'm on crutches for oh yes, yet another 1,5 months and on anti-inflammatories of different types... Off the ice till at LEAST january and uhm... yeah that's about it.
There's nothing wrong with my leg apparently, other than the inflammation, so they're guessing the inflammation is the result of my chronical health problems with my immune system, which cause all my other inflammations elsewhere, and my tiredness as well. Apparently it's not just joints and organs that can inflame because of that but muscles and ligaments as well. Figures. :frus:

I'm really particularly grumpy. :x

Bill_S
08-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh, that sound's terrible. It has to "inflame the mind" as well because of all the issues surrounding your health.

I do hope that the time before the crutches come off passes quickly, and that the doctors can eventually control the underlying cause.

jazzpants
08-29-2008, 05:13 PM
(((((Sessy)))))

That REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sessy
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah you know what's really killing me? it's not so much the crutches, or the non skating part - in two years I got way past where I thought I'd *ever* get in skating, I'm not so worried about losing skills or anything. It's the process of learning it that I like best in the first place.

It's the mundane stuff that's killing me. Try to cook on crutches. Or do groceries. Or the laundry... How are you supposed to hold on to crutches and a laundry basket at once? Haven't figured that one out. :x
Anybody with experience, helpful tips?

dbny
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Do you have a diagnosis? I'm asking because my cousin's daughter had a form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (as does a now-adult skating friend), and both were advised to stay active. The first doctor my cousin went to had his daughter on crutches, but the next one took them away. Disuse can stiffen joints, which is a major problem with rheumatoid arthritis anyway.

fsk8r
08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
It's the mundane stuff that's killing me. Try to cook on crutches. Or do groceries. Or the laundry... How are you supposed to hold on to crutches and a laundry basket at once? Haven't figured that one out. :x

When I broke my knee my mother collected me from the hospital, took me home, sat me in a chair and then went out to run errands. I desperately wanted a drink. Amazingly and despite pain, I learnt really quickly to walk with only one crutch and to carry the spare one in the hand with the crutch (sort of doubling them up). It was the only way to get the cup of tea to living room and I was dying for a drink having been in the hospital for so long.

I figured that despite the fact that I was meant to have two crutches, having the one so that I could get around short distances was more bearable than having the two and not having a spare hand. For the whole long distance walking (as in more than 10 paces!) I used two.

I really hope you get off the crutches soon, as they're really no fun. Is there anything you can do in the mean time to help make yourself feel more active? Flexibility or strength exercises for the bits of you which are still working?

Morgail
08-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I know how old it gets being on crutches. I just hope it helps and the whole inflammation problem goes away for you. And about the non-skating til January - it has to be frustrating, especially since your rink is only open for part of the year.

Let's see - for laundry (when my husband wasn't doing it!), I pushed the basket down the hallway with a crutch :lol:

Food & drink: Have someone help you arrange furniture, etc. so that you have a line of surfaces from your counter to wherever it is you eat. Mine went something like: hold onto crutch with one arm and plate with other, move plate from counter to top of garbage can, hop, move plate from garbage can top to ledge, hop, scoot plate further down ledge, hop around to couch, sit down, turn around and grab plate off ledge. (I gave up trying to eat at the table - it was too far away.)

Groceries: If you can't get someone to shop for you, do you have any grocery delivery services nearby? There's one store where I live that will deliver to your house for an extra fee. Also, some stores here have those motorized scooter things for people with mobility problems to use, and the baggers will take the groceries out to your car. Not sure if any of that stuff is available where you are, though.

Sessy
08-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Do you have a diagnosis? I'm asking because my cousin's daughter had a form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (as does a now-adult skating friend), and both were advised to stay active. The first doctor my cousin went to had his daughter on crutches, but the next one took them away. Disuse can stiffen joints, which is a major problem with rheumatoid arthritis anyway.

Just the inflammation of the eh, well I *think* the English words is ligaments, and neutritis of the nerve. And then the other stuff is again, inflammations of the urinary tract and the gal bladder and the like. I mean sure they have like fancy names for that like pyelonephritis and cholecystitis and such, but all of that just means inflammations anyway. As for why my immune system is messed up, they really can't say although they've tested me for everything that could cause it more than once (in the case of HIV, like 6 times). My bloodwork also comes up (and has since I was a child) very low on calcium, magnesium (I think?) and B-group vitamins (even when I take them in tablets) so now the doc wants me to inject them because apparently it doesn't improve when I take them as pills and drinks, and he says it can really affect not just your immune system but everything, including your muscles and joints.

The doc wants me to keep moving the foot by the way, just nothing with weight on it. He also wants me to use one of those... butterfly-like thingies people use to try to get stronger abs? You know the ones they advertise on TV, with electrical currents. He wants me to put it on my ankle to strengthen it there so the ligaments further up don't take as much stress... To be honest, I'm a little sceptical about that.

Mmm the shoving the laundry basket thing might work. :)

sk8pics
08-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear about this news! I understand how frustrating it is. BTW, when I was recovering from a broken ankle I used to put my laundry in a backpack so I could have both hands free.

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2008, 07:15 AM
*Hugs* Poor old Sessy! I take it you have proper European-style elbow crutches rather than the odd pirate-style things they have in the US (g, d & r!)? One friend, who has a paralysed hand and can't hold on to such things, made a loop of stiff canvas-like material to hold the handle of the crutch, and uses it a lot now she no longer needs crutches to hold on to other things.

Also I agree with whoever suggested backpacks or rucksacks - if you get one with a front pocket that can take your purse, etc, you needn't bother trying to mess with handbags or shopping bags!

Anyway, huge hugs, and I do hope you feel better soon.

LilJen
08-30-2008, 09:30 AM
So sorry to hear this, Sessy!! When I broke my ankle it was a HUGE relief to be able to rent a Turning Leg Caddy. Don't know if they have exactly that in Europe but it's worth checking out. Link: http://www.activeforever.com/p-1359-turning-leg-caddy.aspx

looplover
08-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh Sessy!!! So sorry to hear. I have no advice but just sympathy, that really stinks :(

singerskates
08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Just the inflammation of the eh, well I *think* the English words is ligaments, and neutritis of the nerve. And then the other stuff is again, inflammations of the urinary tract and the gal bladder and the like. I mean sure they have like fancy names for that like pyelonephritis and cholecystitis and such, but all of that just means inflammations anyway. As for why my immune system is messed up, they really can't say although they've tested me for everything that could cause it more than once (in the case of HIV, like 6 times). My bloodwork also comes up (and has since I was a child) very low on calcium, magnesium (I think?) and B-group vitamins (even when I take them in tablets) so now the doc wants me to inject them because apparently it doesn't improve when I take them as pills and drinks, and he says it can really affect not just your immune system but everything, including your muscles and joints.

The doc wants me to keep moving the foot by the way, just nothing with weight on it. He also wants me to use one of those... butterfly-like thingies people use to try to get stronger abs? You know the ones they advertise on TV, with electrical currents. He wants me to put it on my ankle to strengthen it there so the ligaments further up don't take as much stress... To be honest, I'm a little sceptical about that.

Mmm the shoving the laundry basket thing might work. :)

Try taking Pro-biotics. You can get these at any pharmacy in the viatimes area on the shelf. No prescription needed. It will fix your immune system. You'll also want to go to the library to borrow the book, The Makers Diet. This may help you too.

Hope these work for you.

mikawendy
08-30-2008, 03:29 PM
{{{{{Hugs to you, Sessy!}}}}}

doubletoe
08-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Sessy, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It's so strange to have all of that inflammation everywhere, but I'm glad you are taking anti-inflammatories to keep it down. More and more, they are finding out how important inflammation prevention is for long-term health. I hope they figure out a way to cure you of this thing because the skating world is not the same without you. I will be sending good vibes your way! (((((HUG)))))

momsk8er
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Sessy, so sorry to hear this. I hope you get better soon. When I broke my foot, I was on crutches for 6 weeks, but it seemed like forever. I second the backpack idea, and the others that have been mentioned. If you have an office-type chair with wheels, sometimes you can use it to scoot around, and you can carry the laundry on your lap. But if you have to go downstairs or out somewhere, then you are in a bind. Maybe get your friends to help you.

A.H.Black
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah you know what's really killing me? it's not so much the crutches, or the non skating part - in two years I got way past where I thought I'd *ever* get in skating, I'm not so worried about losing skills or anything. It's the process of learning it that I like best in the first place.

Get a walker. Seriously. I know it sounds like an old age thing, but around the house a walker is a life saver. When I broke my ankle, it saved me. Mine had a big basket on the front that would hold lots of things - like laundry. And food. with a walker you can do dishes and it stays put. You don't have to constantly put it somewhere and then pick it up again. When you go out, you may want the crutches again, although a walker with a basket would be pretty useful for groceries. Nothing better in my mind.

Sessy
08-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Try taking Pro-biotics. You can get these at any pharmacy in the viatimes area on the shelf. No prescription needed. It will fix your immune system. You'll also want to go to the library to borrow the book, The Makers Diet. This may help you too.

Hope these work for you.

That was one of the first things the doctors tried. I've had everything from simple bifidum and acidofilus lactobacteries to enterol to even more expensive stuff. Made no difference what so ever in anything.

Thanks everyone. :)

ibreakhearts66
08-30-2008, 10:26 PM
I third the backpack idea. It's great for food, and you can also get a nalgene (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/) or Sigg (http://www.mysigg.com/) bottle for carrying liquids.

For laundry, could you get a sack-type laundry hamper? Or, as someone suggested, just kick/nudge the hamper you have. Not gonna lie, that's what I would do.

Sorry to hear about all of your health problems :( You know you can always count on us for support ((((HUGS)))) Just hang in there

dbny
08-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Just the inflammation of the eh, well I *think* the English words is ligaments, and neutritis of the nerve. And then the other stuff is again, inflammations of the urinary tract and the gal bladder and the like. I mean sure they have like fancy names for that like pyelonephritis and cholecystitis and such, but all of that just means inflammations anyway. As for why my immune system is messed up, they really can't say

<snip>

The doc wants me to keep moving the foot by the way, just nothing with weight on it.

Wow, that's the worst, when they really can't pinpoint the problem. I'm sorry it's messing you up so much. How does your stomach do on the anti-inflamatories? I'm lucky and never have much of a problem myself, but have friends who can't take any. Glad you're keeping the joint mobile!

Sessy
08-31-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm on omiprazol for the stomach, it's okay as long as I take it. :)

Right now I'm camping out at my mother's. At least she's in an apartment of her own, so furniture can be moved, and the layout of the place is much more favorable and she's without a job right now anyway so she can help out where needed. :)

sk8_4fun
08-31-2008, 12:37 PM
oooohhh! Sending some get well vibes to you Sessy- get strong soon.

karliey
08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
I hope you feel better soon, and find something just as interesting to learn for now. I can imagine how it feels to have the season finally begin and not being able to skate once more. The very best wishes to you.

Helen88
09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Sessy! You're a walking-skating-disaster! ((((big hugs)))) Keep talking your meds and you'll be back on your feet before you know it.

Sk8Dreamer
09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
You might want to check out Zyflamend. It's an herbal anti-inflamatory that's had a lot of good press, and I know people who've used it with great results (note that they tell me they take it in higher doses than those recommended). I've tried it and haven't noticed anything spectacular, but so many people I know swear by it, I figure it can't hurt to try. I'm actually trying it again myself-I want to take two doses a day, one morning and one evening, but I keep forgetting the morning one, so nothing to report yet. It's made by an American company called New Chapter; I don't know if it's available where you are. But it might be worth looking into.

Good luck with the crutches--the whole thing sounds terribly frustrating, and scary for you, too.

Sessy
09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the tip! It is available.

blue111moon
09-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I've been on crutches for thet month due to surgery so I feel your pain.

I found that the toughest thing to manage was going to the bathroom. :) To carry stuff, I got canvas bags and put the lid of a plastic storage container at the bottom to keep it flat. Then I wrapped anything spillable in Press and Seal wrap before putting it in the bag for transport to my dining chair. Everything takes three times as long, at least.

I don't cook so that hasn't been an issue but laundry hauling required the assistance of a friend. (Living alone while on crutches is challenging, :) )

Not being able to drive or walk the dog has been my greatest inconvenience. I hate depending upon friends to shuttle me around. I did have a teenager walking the dog until school started but now he has to put up with my hobbling pace and short trips.

Fortunately, the cast may be coming off on Monday.

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Fortunately, the cast may be coming off on Monday.Oh, I do hope so. Please, please keep us updated - I have to update Husband on your progress, too, as well as wanting to know from my own account.

Sessy
09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm suddenly glad I'm allergic to dog hair... :twisted: Wow you've got it way worse.

stacyf419
09-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Get a walker. Seriously. I know it sounds like an old age thing, but around the house a walker is a life saver. When I broke my ankle, it saved me. Mine had a big basket on the front that would hold lots of things - like laundry. And food. with a walker you can do dishes and it stays put. You don't have to constantly put it somewhere and then pick it up again. When you go out, you may want the crutches again, although a walker with a basket would be pretty useful for groceries. Nothing better in my mind.

Hi - I second the walker, but also add the recommendation to get one with wheels on it. My father had both his legs amputated and uses a walker constantly, and he finds that the ones without wheels are very exhausting.

On ebay there is an example of one with wheels, a seat and a basket - you can take it to the store, and rest if you need it.
http://stores.ebay.com/Wheelchair-Store-Scooter-Store/Walker-and-Rollators.html

aussieskater
09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Be careful with the wheels, though - a walker is generally used by a person who puts reasonably consistent and even pressure on the handles (ie: the walker provides pretty constant support while the person changes from one foot to the other). Sessy, however, is on crutches and presumably would have to use the walker to support herself while she hops along. The wheels might shoot out from under her if she applies anything other than completely vertical pressure on the handles.

ETA: Sessy, get well soon!

blackmanskating
09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Get better soon Sessy! I'm just recovering from injury myself. Best Wishes to u!!

BlackManSkating

sk8pics
09-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't cook so that hasn't been an issue but laundry hauling required the assistance of a friend. (Living alone while on crutches is challenging, :) )

Not being able to drive or walk the dog has been my greatest inconvenience. I hate depending upon friends to shuttle me around. I did have a teenager walking the dog until school started but now he has to put up with my hobbling pace and short trips.

Fortunately, the cast may be coming off on Monday.

I hope the cast does come off on Monday! I feel your pain, too. Living alone while using a walker is challenging, too. I had to depend on friends to help with laundry, too, and with the cats...

I hope you make a speedy recovery!