View Full Version : Differences between MK Dance and Ultima Dance blades?

Query
08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I was very happy on MK Dance blades, which are very thin, have a 7' rocker. but are now about $483!

I've moved to the Jackson Ultima Matrix chasis + Dance runners (replaceable for $110).

I think the Jacksons are not quite as narrow, and have an 8' rocker. I don't like them as much, and I've given myself most of a year to try. They feel slow, and I think the larger rocker makes it harder for me to turn, spin and twizzle. Maybe I just got used to the old ones.

I am investigating talking a good sharpener into modifying them to look more like MK Dance blades. I've already had them ground to a 3/8" hollow. But I would like a 7' rocker too.

(This is too major a change for me to do with hand sharpening equipment, like the Pro Filer. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to do it with a hand-held power grinder.)

If possible I would also like them ground thinner, and the sweet spot made a little stronger.

The toe pick on the Ultima is also stronger, but I'd keep that. And the Ultimas are stainless steel, whereas the MKs are high carbon steel, but that isn't changeable, and I suspect makes little difference.

Is that an accurate list of the differences?

I don't suppose I could get someone to post a photocopy of a reasonably new MK dance blade (9+3/4" mount length is ideal, but I think they all have pretty much the same profile).