View Full Version : Mom Trouble, help

Muskoka Skater
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Okay here is the situation: I want to try my Pre Novice for the second time in late October, the first time i took it was in January and i fell on everything and just had an awful skate. But my mom doesn't want to pay for it because she thinks i'm just going to fail again. I think i might have a chance at passing because my jumps have become much more on consitant and my overall skating has improved greatly. How can I prove to my mom that I am ready to take the Pre Novice again??

doubletoe
08-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Okay here is the situation: I want to try my Pre Novice for the second time in late October, the first time i took it was in January and i fell on everything and just had an awful skate. But my mom doesn't want to pay for it because she thinks i'm just going to fail again. I think i might have a chance at passing because my jumps have become much more on consitant and my overall skating has improved greatly. How can I prove to my mom that I am ready to take the Pre Novice again??

Get your coach to give you a practice test, and if you pass the practice test, have your coach tell your mom you are at passing standard and ready to test.

RachelSk8er
08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
How old are you? Do you have a job or any sort of allowance?

When I was younger, I had to pay my parents back for any test I did not pass. Not just the test fee, but coaching fees for the session as well. The only test I failed was the European Waltz and I failed it 4 times, that kind of hurt.

My parents paid for all my synchro-related expenses (which were a lot when I was skating senior), but from the time I was 13, for my individual skating, my parents only paid for one 15-min lesson and one hour of ice/week. If I wanted more, I was responsible for paying for it (by participating in club fundraising and my own money from working a part-time job at the rink), I also ice monitored to get credit toward my own ice time, and I had to buy my own practice clothes, testing dresses, etc if I wanted something beyond what was required for synchro. If you help with the expenses you tend to get more leeway.

stacyf419
08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Get your coach to give you a practice test, and if you pass the practice test, have your coach tell your mom you are at passing standard and ready to test.

Or perhaps even perform the full test in front of her? Tell her she can be the judge!

manleywoman
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
If you want it that badly, pay for it yourself. Start mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.

sk8tmum
08-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Okay, if you're trying in late October, then, you're not aiming for Sectionals - right? Because that's after qualification date. So, there's not a huge rush or pressure like there would be if you were Sectionals-bound. You could do it at any time you wish.

So. Are you competing anywhere? If so, an option would be to try the test in competition. It's $30 per test to do that, and, the "rules" for passing in competition are different from doing it at a test day (depending on you, could be easier or harder). If you pay your coach for test days, then, this would be a way to avoid having to pay coaching fees for the test (which would save some $$$).

Does your coach think you are ready, and does s/he want you to try it? Does she want you on the competitive track? If so, then, perhaps s/he could talk to your mother. Do you have a program at the pre-novice level? If so, then, that's already there and ready to go; if not, then, that's a bigger budgetary item than the test fees 8O

My kids don't pay for their tests, BTW, but they also contribute substantially towards their ice costs thru amateur coaching, and gave up an allowance (i.e. they have no discretionary spending money) a long time ago.

Skittl1321
08-20-2008, 07:03 PM
So. Are you competing anywhere? If so, an option would be to try the test in competition. It's $30 per test to do that, and, the "rules" for passing in competition are different from doing it at a test day (depending on you, could be easier or harder). If you pay your coach for test days, then, this would be a way to avoid having to pay coaching fees for the test (which would save some $$$).

In what way do the rules differ if you have the test as a stand alone session vs during a competition?

sk8tmum
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
In what way do the rules differ if you have the test as a stand alone session vs during a competition?

In Canada, you have two ways to pass a competitive test: in competition or at a test day. The passing requirements for the two avenues are different. So, for pre-novice:

PRE-NOVICE COMPETITIVE SINGLES TEST: This test shall consist of a Free Skating
Program.
(a) PROGRAM: The candidate will skate a 3.0 minute (+ or – 10 seconds) program to
music. (Rule 5501 (2))
(b) PASSING REQUIREMENT: This program must meet the criteria for a well balanced
Pre-Novice Competitive free skating program as defined in regulation C - 4.1(1) above.
(i) TEST TAKEN IN COMPETITION: All requirements must be met
Minimum Technical Score: 15.0
Minimum Skating Skills Score: 2.50 trimmed mean or higher
Passing Score: 25.0
(ii) TEST TAKEN OUT OF COMPETITION: All requirements must be met
Sum of GOE Scores: -6 or higher
Minimum Skating Skills Score: 2.50 or higher
Minimum sum of five components Scores: 12.00 or higher
Minimum Jump Content: At least 3 different double jumps

Skittl1321
08-20-2008, 07:25 PM
That's interesting- thanks for explaining :)

Muskoka Skater
08-21-2008, 10:40 PM
If you want it that badly, pay for it yourself. Start mowing lawns, babysitting, etc.

I leave in the middle of nowhere in like forests and stuff so nobody has grass. My mom won't let me get a job and i barely get to babysit, because my goody two shoes friends get all the jobs, i still love them though.

Muskoka Skater
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Okay, if you're trying in late October, then, you're not aiming for Sectionals - right? Because that's after qualification date. So, there's not a huge rush or pressure like there would be if you were Sectionals-bound. You could do it at any time you wish.

Does your coach think you are ready, and does s/he want you to try it? Does she want you on the competitive track? If so, then, perhaps s/he could talk to your mother. Do you have a program at the pre-novice level? If so, then, that's already there and ready to go; if not, then, that's a bigger budgetary item than the test fees 8O

My kids don't pay for their tests, BTW, but they also contribute substantially towards their ice costs thru amateur coaching, and gave up an allowance (i.e. they have no discretionary spending money) a long time ago.

I'm taking the test at a competition and it's $60. I understand why my mom doesn't want to pay, my family is having some big money troubles, and i already offered to pay it myself, but my mom doesn't want me to. My program is at a Pre Novice level. My coach is up to anything i want to try.