View Full Version : Geezer on Ice

kander
08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Recently I've started to become more aware of my limitations on the ice. I used to be able to skate 2 or 3 hours without any problem, but now there are days where I physically can't do anything. A good day for me now would be 45 minutes. Some days I can tell right away that my muscles won't react fast enough and I might as well not even try. It's so frustrating knowing I know how to do something but my body won't let me. Getting old sucks :(

jazzpants
08-19-2008, 01:06 AM
I don't try to skate more than 1.5 hours these days and I used to skate 2 hour session. In fact, these days I only skate about an hour and some small change b/c of the parking situation at my home rink and the fact that (at the time) I had to get back to work.

Are you stretching after you skate? It does help to loosen the muscle. You may need to have your personal trainer show you some plyometrics so you can train to gradually get better reaction times.

And kander... read doubletoe's signature... yes, the Dara Torres' quote. :P

katz in boots
08-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Recently I've started to become more aware of my limitations on the ice. I used to be able to skate 2 or 3 hours without any problem, but now there are days where I physically can't do anything. A good day for me now would be 45 minutes. Some days I can tell right away that my muscles won't react fast enough and I might as well not even try. It's so frustrating knowing I know how to do something but my body won't let me. Getting old sucks :(

Just some thoughts here, cos I don't know how old you are or how fit, etc. Has this been going on for very long? have you had any illnesses lately- some viruses seem to hang on for weeks afterwards. I know I go through stages where I just don't have the energy, and there is usually a reason.
Sometimes life outside skating can zap your energy, sometimes your body can be fighting a low-level infection.

I'm 48 (soon 49) and find 1/5 hours of solid practise is well & truly enough.

Mrs Redboots
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Getting old sucks :(

Tell me about it! I console myself with knowing I'd have been a crap skater even had I started thirty years earlier than I actually did. And back then, I'd have minded!

Oh, and my mother says that if we think getting old sucks, just wait until we are in our 80s, like her. That, she says, really sucks!

jazzpants
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Kevin: Alright! Alright! I admit it!!! Getting old DOES SUCK!!! THERE!!! Happy!?!?! :twisted: :P :lol:

Of course, I'm saying this after a rough skate today (of course, it's probably b/c I'm not awake when I thought I was... :twisted: ) and a REALLY SUCKY workout on Sunday!!! Dara was right in saying that it does take longer to recover. You really need to stretch and do lots of weird stuff like rolling your hips around and stuff these days just to get in the state where you're ready to work out. And God knows... I train HARD just to get into shape and stay in shape (and I'm still waging war with the flabby abs!!! :evil: )

But I'm still fighting the war... whether it's b/c I'm too stubborn or just plain don't know any better... I don't care! I want a good shoot at trying for the goal that is mentioned in my signature!!! :mrgreen:

dbny
08-19-2008, 03:32 PM
It's most definitely an uphill battle that we are fated to lose (eventually), but think of the alternative. In fact, look around you and you will see that most of your age peers are overweight and out of shape. That's not the way I want to go. When I can't work effectively, I try to stay on the ice just gliding around. That's the time to chat and watch the other skaters. Even just being on the ice requires more of your body than any other leisure activity you might do, and it does benefit your skating, although you may not notice right away.

doubletoe
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Well, what's your definition of "old" and how do you define "physically can't do anything"? If you're landing doubles--even if it's not every day--you must be doing something right!

singerskates
08-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Outside of injury and illness, feeling old is a state of mind. Now feeling frustrating at our skating outcomes/proficiency and feeling like we are dumb, even the youngest skater can feel like that. I feel like this at least once a session and usually more.

Read what my signature says below. What we really should call ourselves is Overcomers because dispite the fact that many of us either return back on the ice late or started late we are pursuing what to most is imposible. So when you feel old, just remember that your trying to do what most won't even consider ever trying to do.

montanarose
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
As the American actress/singer Doris Day once said:

"The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you'll grow out of it." 8O 8O 8O

I need to keep reminding myself of this whenever I get too down on my middle-aged self :lol:

teresa
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I love your comment singerskates, "overcomers". =-)

teresa

Sk8Dreamer
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
It's most definitely an uphill battle that we are fated to lose (eventually), but think of the alternative. In fact, look around you and you will see that most of your age peers are overweight and out of shape. That's not the way I want to go. When I can't work effectively, I try to stay on the ice just gliding around. That's the time to chat and watch the other skaters. Even just being on the ice requires more of your body than any other leisure activity you might do, and it does benefit your skating, although you may not notice right away.

This is one of the most reassuring and positive viewpoints I've seen in a while! Thank you!

Query
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
If you want to skate more like an athletic kid, relax and move more like athletic kids. Watch and imitate.

Relax and use the absolute minimum muscle force to create the desired poses. Only use those muscles required. Work with your coach to minimize muscle use and get more relaxed and deeper motions.

Finally - smile! Takes a lot of years away; at least it feels that way.

I started at almost 40. I will never skate quite like a kid, at least not like a super-athletic kid. But, as a volunteer assistant instructor, I've come to realize that most kids who start to skate aren't as athletic as you think. If you can hold an outside edge, and do cross-overs, you are way ahead of most people, including kids.