View Full Version : Halloween Classic Application is Posted!

phillyskater
08-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone!

I hope you're all having a great year, and getting ready for another fantastic skating season.

Just a quick note that the application for 2008 Halloween Classic (our 5th year!) is now available on the Ice Works Skating Club website www.iceworkssc.org (or by direct link at: http://www.helgayang.net/HalloweenClassic.aspx

Events will be held Nov. 1 and 2. There will also be a test session during the competition. We're excited to announce a few new events this year including by popular request, additional maneuver team events. There's something for every skater at every level.

As always, we're happy to answer any questions. Please feel free to post them here, or send me a PM. You can also email us at: iceworkshalloweenclassic@iceworkssc.org.

Deadline for entries is Sept. 27. We hope to see you all there!

patatty
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Do you have any idea what events might occur on Saturday morning? Since I can't abandon my two little goblins on Halloween, I won't be driving down until Sat. morning, so I might have to miss those events (or drive 3 1/2 hours with my skates on and run right out onto the ice!) I'll probably just sign up for everything I'm qualified for, and see what happens.

herniated
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Do you have any idea what events might occur on Saturday morning? Since I can't abandon my two little goblins on Halloween, I won't be driving down until Sat. morning, so I might have to miss those events (or drive 3 1/2 hours with my skates on and run right out onto the ice!) I'll probably just sign up for everything I'm qualified for, and see what happens.

Good Question... I'm in the same position too.

patatty...did you see the manuver team event? Are you thinking what I'm thinking? What about sexyskates too? Sounds like a blast.

phillyskater
08-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Unfortunately we won't know when specific events are scheduled until after the close of entries. The referee designs the schedule rather than the organizing committee, so we have no way to predict how it will look. Those decisions are made based on the number of entries and the availability of judges, etc. It always seems to work out though.

Hope to see you there!

Stormy
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I really should give this one serious thought. There was a good amount of Gold II skaters last year, although I get bumped back down to I for this year (thanks age change rules!!).

Skate@Delaware
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately we won't know when specific events are scheduled until after the close of entries. The referee designs the schedule rather than the organizing committee, so we have no way to predict how it will look. Those decisions are made based on the number of entries and the availability of judges, etc. It always seems to work out though.

Hope to see you there!
i'm pretty much in the same dilemma (taking son to an event on Saturday); so I'm gonna have to pass this year. Maybe next year.

stacyf419
08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Is skating up allowed in the team maneuver event, does anyone know? I haven't passed my Bronze free test yet but would love to join 2 bronze & silver level friends for this event. I couldn't really tell from the form.

phillyskater
08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Is skating up allowed in the team maneuver event, does anyone know? I haven't passed my Bronze free test yet but would love to join 2 bronze & silver level friends for this event. I couldn't really tell from the form.

Hi. Yep, you can skate up one level for the Maneuver Team event like most other events, so as long as you've passed Pre-Bronze FS, you're good to go. :D

stacyf419
08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
YAY! Can't wait. This will be my first freestyle comp. I'm entering about 67 of the events. (slight exaggeration!):D:D

starskate6.0
08-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I wish you all the very best for the Ice Works competition .:)
I won't be joining you all this year. Iv had to hang them up for now.
Maybe see you all at nationals..

Starskate

JFab
09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a question. I would really love to do the Halloween Classic Preliminary Solo Dance. Unfortunately I test my Preliminary dances October 3, after the cut off of Sept. 27. Can I skate "one level up," too?

sexyskates
09-05-2008, 01:52 PM
You can skate up in all the events.

sk8tegirl06
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I was wondering about the age requirement. I would like to do this competition, but I don't turn 21 until October 2. I think I'm out of luck, but does anybody know for sure?

JFab
09-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks sexyskates for the information! Yay I will be see you all there!:!:

mdvask8r
09-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Re the age requirement-- aarrrggghhh! You miss by only 5 days!!! It's worth asking about it. Being that close they may let you slide in.

Stormy
09-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Defintiely ask about the age requirement!! For 5 days I would hope they'd say yes.

sk8tegirl06
09-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks everybody! I'll e-mail them and see what they say.

LWalsh
09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Does anyone know which day they usually schedule the MITF events? I have a friend who wants to compete for the first time but I think she has a conflict with one of the days. I can't remember which days which events were always held. I know this is just a "guestimate"...

Lara

flutzilla1
09-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I was wondering about the age requirement. I would like to do this competition, but I don't turn 21 until October 2. I think I'm out of luck, but does anybody know for sure?

I was in a similar situation last year. I had asked if I could skate in the 3 age group as I was turning 36 on October 4th (4 days after the deadline), as that was the age group I was planning on competing at AN in. Initially I was given permission to do so, but unfortunately the referee ended up not agreeing with the decision and I got bumped back down to the 1/2 group. So I would definitely recommend that you check with the competition coordinator so she can make sure it's ok before you send in your forms.

I hope you will be able to attend -- phillyskater and company really put on a great adult competition at IceWorks last year! :)

flutzilla1
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone!

I hope you're all having a great year, and getting ready for another fantastic skating season.

Just a quick note that the application for 2008 Halloween Classic (our 5th year!) is now available on the Ice Works Skating Club website www.iceworkssc.org (or by direct link at: http://www.helgayang.net/HalloweenClassic.aspx

Events will be held Nov. 1 and 2. There will also be a test session during the competition. We're excited to announce a few new events this year including by popular request, additional maneuver team events. There's something for every skater at every level.

As always, we're happy to answer any questions. Please feel free to post them here, or send me a PM. You can also email us at: iceworkshalloweenclassic@iceworkssc.org.

Deadline for entries is Sept. 27. We hope to see you all there!

Are you back stateside now Phillyskater? If so yay, will you be doing the team manuever event again? My munchkin will also be coming along so maybe he and your munchkin can play together. :)

phillyskater
09-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Are you back stateside now Phillyskater? If so yay, will you be doing the team manuever event again? My munchkin will also be coming along so maybe he and your munchkin can play together. :)

Hi flutzilla! Actually, I'm still in Belgium but continuing to help out with the competition when I can. We have a great committee in place, all of whom helped run the event last year and previous years. So it's in very good hands.

I'm not sure yet if I will be able to attend in person. I'd like to add a spiral to the IceWorks maneuver team again this year, but I think that will largely depend on international airfares. :frus: But hopefully I'll see you there!

FREESK8ER
09-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Phillyskater, I am available to do the Manuever event again if you make the trip. J :P

mikawendy
09-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Bumpity bump! Just a reminder that the application deadline is Saturday 9/27.

phillyskater
09-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone!

Just a reminder that the application deadline is Saturday (Sept. 27). We're anticipating another great turnout this year.

For those of you who are planning to compete, can you let us know if you're interested in a competitors party on Saturday night? Like last year, we'd like to rent the top floor of Barnaby's bar & grill (a mile from the rink) with plenty of food, drinks and music for $20 per person. We got great feedback from last year, and we want to find out if there's interest in doing it again.

Post a message or shoot me a PM. All responses appreciated. Thanks!

badaxel
10-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Any word on a schedule yet? I'd like to know if I need a hotel room or not!!!

Stormy
10-19-2008, 01:42 PM

You're going?!!?!?!? YAY!!! Share with me and my friend!

mikawendy
10-19-2008, 02:38 PM

I was up at Ice Works yesterday to watch the last of South Atlantic Regionals. A club member mentioned to me that the schedule should be out soon--it sounded like sometime early this coming week. They've been busy with regionals, but the schedule should be ready soon.

starskate6.0
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
"Good Luck everyone"

Iv had to hang them up for now, but i will be there to cheer you all on and help run the event.. I was wondering if there are any gold skaters men or women this year.. ? anyone..? Id like to watch.. I may even be the marshel.

Stormy
10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm skating Gold. :)

starskate6.0
10-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Great Stormy

I remember one year I was the only gold man and I skated with the girls in interp....:lol: Ill be there to watch this year..
I'm skating Gold. :)

Stormy
10-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Great! The Delaware skaters usually come to this so there could be a couple Gold ladies at least. Ugh, I wish the schedule would come out. :)

patatty
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm a silver skater, but I signed up for Gold/masters spins and compulsory elements (yikes!) as well as gold MIF, so you will have some company in those if you are doing them. I hear you about the schedule. I'm driving down from Long Island on Saturday morning, and I'd like to know if I have to get up at 4am to get there on time.

badaxel
10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Just want to voice my annoyance with the referee!!!!!!!!

Oh, I'm doing Silver I and Silver spins- if I ever find out when I'm supposed to be there!!!!!!!

stacyf419
10-22-2008, 05:51 PM
I'll second that emotion.
And I'm doing pre-bronze spins, compulsory & freestyle, and bronze moves in the field. I'm pretty excited - it will be my first non-synchro competition.

Stormy
10-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Is the referee the same as it was for south atlantics? I mean, I know hosting regionals is huge, but it feels like to me we kinda got pushed aside. The competition is pretty much a week away and we have no idea what's going on.

RachelSk8er
10-23-2008, 07:02 AM
You're going?!!?!?!? YAY!!! Share with me and my friend!

What!? You're cheating on me with another competition roommate!?

:cry:

Just kidding :)

Are Halloween and Buckeye always back-to-back weekends or is that just the way it worked out this year? Maybe next year if there is a week in between or things aren't as hectic, I can try to do both.

jenlyon60
10-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Is the referee the same as it was for south atlantics? I mean, I know hosting regionals is huge, but it feels like to me we kinda got pushed aside. The competition is pretty much a week away and we have no idea what's going on.

Even if the referee isn't the same, if the person who is chief ref was a judge at regionals, they might not have had much time to focus on the schedule. From what I saw the 2 days I was at regionals, the judges didn't have much in the way of breaks.

Stormy
10-23-2008, 11:37 AM
What!? You're cheating on me with another competition roommate!?

:cry:

Just kidding :)

Are Halloween and Buckeye always back-to-back weekends or is that just the way it worked out this year? Maybe next year if there is a week in between or things aren't as hectic, I can try to do both.

Awww, only because you weren't doing HC!! :cry: Perhaps I will find a large inflatable chilly pepper to take with me so I will think of you. :)

RachelSk8er
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Awww, only because you weren't doing HC!! :cry: Perhaps I will find a large inflatable chilly pepper to take with me so I will think of you. :)

HA HA HA HA HA We seriously need a huge inflatable chili pepper for ANs. (Can you believe that was 4 seasons ago!? Holy crap, where did the time go?)

patatty
10-24-2008, 09:58 AM
The schedule is posted! Yay! 5 of my 6 events are on Saturday, and I'm done by 9:20 on Sunday, so it's a good schedule for me. I might have drop out of the MIF event which is early Saturday morning, because it's a tough drive for me on Saturday morning. Otherwise, the order and timing is just what I had hoped.

starskate6.0
10-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Schedule is out on another post for the Halloween classic.. :)