View Full Version : Gift for coach?

stacyf419
08-16-2008, 09:46 AM
We are moving in the fall and will be much further away, so I am reluctantly leaving my wonderful, fantastic coach. My last lesson with her is in a few weeks :(, and I wanted to get something very special for her to express my appreciation for all she's been - encouraging, patient and tough. Can y'all give me some good ideas for a good present? Would some type of coaching software be good? Or dvd's? Something she can really use?
Otherwise I'm hitting Victoria's Secret for a gift card. :D

littlekateskate
08-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I always found COACH as in the handbag brand.. Gift cards or keychains are cute.

Haha a COACH keychain : ) Just always thought it was cute to give to a coach :)

vesperholly
08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
We are moving in the fall and will be much further away, so I am reluctantly leaving my wonderful, fantastic coach. My last lesson with her is in a few weeks :(, and I wanted to get something very special for her to express my appreciation for all she's been - encouraging, patient and tough. Can y'all give me some good ideas for a good present? Would some type of coaching software be good? Or dvd's? Something she can really use?
Otherwise I'm hitting Victoria's Secret for a gift card. :D
I like the gift card idea. Also, you should write her a nice note telling her how great she's been. That will probably mean more to her than any present. :)

Skittl1321
08-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I do gift cards for Christmas, and a bottle of wine as a thank you when I left my coach.

doubletoe
08-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Since you are having to say goodbye, you might want to give something that will be a reminder of you and your appreciation. At the lower price end, you can always give something like a mug that says "World's Best Coach." If you have a little more budget, you could get something like a silver keychain or crystal vase from Tiffany and have it engraved. They don't actually cost that much, but everyone loves getting something in that Tiffany box!

sk8lady
08-16-2008, 05:51 PM
If you know her taste in jewelry even a small gift would probably be appreciated.
My coach was a Disney on Ice principal who skated as Belle in Beauty and the Beast, so one year I got her a pin of a rose.
Chocolate and/or home baked gifts seem to be universally appreciated by male and female coaches if they are not watching their weight particularly closely,

techskater
08-16-2008, 06:34 PM
How about a framed picture of you skating to go with whatever else you want to give?

FigureSk8Dad
08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
My dd has been taking private lessons from her wonderful coach for one year this month. We decided to thank her for doing such a great job by providing her with a gift that we hope she will cherish. It is a small throw pillow that says "Behind every great skater is a great coach" on one side. We will be sewing in a cotton panel to the other side with a small collage of photos of my dd skating, coach skating, and coach coaching my dd. The cotton panels are available at craft stores. They can be put into any inkjet printer to print any image and are colorfast.

teresa
08-16-2008, 10:58 PM
If you've had this coach for awhile maybe something special to her. Sometimes as skaters we can "forget" their people besides a skating coach. I also think the note is a great idea. As skaters we like to hear we're doing well, they like to hear we appreciate(d) them.

teresa

stacyf419
08-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Wow - great ideas! I am absolutely doing a heartfelt note along with whatever I end up buying. I'm also developing a website for her coaching services, which should definitely help her in the future. I reallly just wanted her to know how much I've appreciated how she's brought me along. (see my moves post)

Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions!

RachelSk8er
08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Coach actually had these ADORABLE keychains with dangling figure skates and snowflakes out a Christmas or two ago. You might be able to find one online somewhere.

RachelSk8er
08-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Coach actually had these ADORABLE keychains with dangling figure skates and snowflakes out a Christmas or two ago. You might be able to find one online somewhere.

I just checked because I had wanted one of these for a while myself. There are a bunch of them on Ebay, if you just look up "Coach keychain" you can scroll through and find them, or "coach skates." It has a pair of skates, a hat, mitten, and snowflake. I got mine for $24 after shipping (they retail for $49, hence why I didn't buy one in the store when I saw them)!

Just in case anyone else is looking for a great gift for a coach :)

stacyf419
08-20-2008, 07:55 AM
That's such a nice idea, Rachel - I'll check it out!

Mrs Redboots
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
I think you just gave your coach one of the best presents that skaters can give their coaches - you passed that test!

skaternum
08-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Rachelsk8er, thanks for the info about the keychains on ebay. Those are very reasonably priced. Gonna order one tonight.