View Full Version : interpretive programs: what are they looking for?

fmh
08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Next year I'm doing the STARskate triathalon, and the only thing I'm worried about is the interpretive, the judging is so subjective. Its really hard to tell what the judges are looking for in competition. Does anyone have any Idea of what they're looking for?

Rusty Blades
08-14-2008, 06:48 PM
I have talked to many experienced competition coaches and even a few judges - nobody knows! The only consensus is that the better the Skills, the better the score.

blue111moon
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
"The Judges" are individuals and have varying opinions of what "interpretive" means. Unless the announcement specifies what will be judged and how, then you take your chances and have fun with it and forget about the placements.

In fact, you should do that anyway. Once you embrace the concept that Interpretive is a crapshoot at best, it becomes a whole lot easier to do. :)

jskater49
08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Once I judged "artistic" basic skills and I asked the other "real" judges what what I should be basing it on "Oh just your personal opinion" "I like skaters that really act on the ice" That was the extent of it.

It was the only event where my results varied wildly from the majority. Guess my personal opinions are different than most.

One thing I have noticed...I don't care what they say ....the ones with the better skating skills, harder jumps, advanced spins...seem to always win.

j

Virtualsk8r
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
In the 'old' days when interpretive (artistic) freeskate was introduced - and I was a judge - we were told to evaluate the program based on use of levels by the body, use of time and space, ice usage, illustration or use of skating skills to portray the theme without pantomine or props, use of musical highs and lows, creative use of edges, turns etc. with jumps and spins only to highlight the theme or music ie a camel spin with the skater using their arm as a gun for a 007 spy theme etc......In the old days we had three judges or evaluators on a panel for tests - and even then it was hard to get consensus. Then it was changed to just one evaluator for a test - and if you were lucky, that person understood artistic skating.

Now that I am a coach, and have had many artistic and interpretive freeskate tests passed - including lots of gold's - I still create programs that fit the judging criteria I was given and is still in the manuals. However, if you talk with judges at Adult championships, for example, all they are looking for is the skater who has flow and edges -- forget about portraying a theme or being creative with the skating skills.....This year it seems that if you did a 'pretty' piece of music with a non-descript title like ' Jane's song' or 'Dance' etc. (not real names btw).....the skater scored higher than those who chose more interesting pieces of music with real choreography and told a story. Same with StarSkate.........

In the case of the adults, many doing the interpretive freeskate have passed their gold or diamond dances, and frequently have also done skills test - and some even have their gold freeskate or a competitive test under their belt....and have come back to skating either as an adult or just started testing the interpretive programs.......which means a true adult skater who has only been skating for a couple of years can be pitted against an adult skater with all their golds - except the interpretive test. One adult even told me (after winning a medal at Adult championships one year) that they weren't ready to move up to the Bronze level yet because they didn't win )but this skater had their gold dances and senior silver skills tests)....

So- interpretive freeskate is a great way to allow skaters the freedom to express themselves without the more difficult jumps and spins -- but at the same time is extremely competitive and the rules never seem to be the same from competition to competition!!!

Good luck with it!

flo
08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Whatever you do, go for it with a passion. Half way just does not do it.
And actually I've been very successful at AN with interesting music, telling a story and "real"" choreography. I've competed in 10 AN's in interpretive and have really enjoyed it. I see it as a chance to go out and really skate.

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2008, 09:01 AM
One thing I have noticed...I don't care what they say ....the ones with the better skating skills, harder jumps, advanced spins...seem to always win

Oh, I dunno; I've won a couple of times, and nobody could say it was because of my skating skills!

But one programme I did got competed five times that season. It won twice, came last twice and got a Bronze medal once. Go figure, as they say..... it really is a total crapshoot, so the only thing to do is something you enjoy, and have fun with it.

flo
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't think you need higher level skating skills to be successful in interpretive, but good basic skating skills are a must. Remember, it is a skating competition, but there's no required elements, balanced program or any of those restrictions. Focus more on on the quality of whatever you put into your program and don't wory about putting things in just to have higher level elements. I'd rather see a great three turn than a poor counter.

Mrs. Redboots - You win because you go out there and sell your program and give a performance. Your skating skills are fine and what you put in is solid!

techskater
08-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I believe the OP is discussing Canadian Interpretive which is different than what the rest of the world considers interpretive (artistic) events, so just because we've done well selling a program here in the US or Britain or France doesn't mean it will go over well in their test stream for interp

sk8tmum
08-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Yup, Canadian interpretive is different. There is info on the Skate Canada website. Go to Technical and Program Information/Starskate for a Q&A, including the evaluation criteria and things like costuming queries, and, if you go into the actual Rules book you'll find all of the rules set out.

My suggestion: If you're doing this at a high level, i.e. beyond a fun thing at the most basic level, get a choreographer/coach who has experience in putting them together. Interpretive is still, as other Canadians have commented on, "evolving" (I've actually heard the term "crapshoot" used ... but I think that was an exaggeration.)

Other than that, yes, I've seen more focus on strong skating, with the skills, footwork, carriage, flow, and edges appropriate for the level (i.e. you can be less refined at the Intro level than at the Gold - !) and there is a definite push for "interpetive" along the lines of interpretive dance; you need to have a theme that is consistent and congruent thru the program.

plinko
08-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Next year I'm doing the STARskate triathalon, and the only thing I'm worried about is the interpretive, the judging is so subjective. Its really hard to tell what the judges are looking for in competition. Does anyone have any Idea of what they're looking for?

You're talking about doing Triathlon this year 2008-2009, right? After this year it might disappear as Skate Canada rearranges everything. Actually, hoping that it happens *this* year as they haven't announced a location yet.

Crapshoot is right. There is an interpretive manual which is a general guideline but I'm not sure what the judges have read:frus: I do believe there is still an aspect of personal preference and lyrical programs with flowy dresses seem to do better than anything else because lyrical translates well to skating. Second choice would be something Tango or Latin. Not everyone is a lyrical skater, if you look at dance, it's like the difference between the waltzes and the tangos. Although dressing a character is frowned upon eg, singing in the rain with yellow raincoat and boot covers is too obvious, doing singing in the rain with yellow dress is okay.

Skating wise, what I was told by judges is that the skaters skating skill level should match their interpretive level. If you've got gold skills, you've got a good attempt at gold interpretive. However, having said that, freeskate level plays a huge part because of the speed and flow across the ice. As someone else said, I think a great fast flowing three turn gets rewarded than a crappy counter.

With Triathon especially, it can be won or lost on interpretive, so playing it safe (eg, lyrical) has seemed to be the trend. The manual says that inventive programs should be rewarded, but I haven't seen it yet. My opinion, especially on stuff that's been tested over the summer is that speed and flow is what it's all about.

sk8ermom
08-16-2008, 09:45 AM
interpretive at the triathalon level is judged using the component marks of the International judging system-keep that in mind...now american showcase is a totally different thing!

starskate6.0
08-17-2008, 01:18 AM
The title speaks for itself..

Hello everyone . Its been a little while but i have missed you all so much and skating too..:( but thats another story.. As for the interp... AAhhh. My favorite subject..:mrgreen:. 2 things
1. At the recent ISU Event in Germany I was flatterd to hear that my Interp was brought up at the ISU meeting when they evaluated the first ever Interp event at the ISU Adult competition. I got to speak to a few of the officials at the party and the general feeling was that the Word interpretive meant just that. The ISU event is judged on 1 mark ( not 2 marks like the US system ).

To cut a long story short here is a list of things they where looking for.
1. good edges and control.
2. steps ( no matter how complicated or easy ) should match the performance and be smooth and confident. .
3. It does not have to be complicated ( I did an up right spin and a single jump ). I skated Masters interp..
4. Selling it , bringing your audience to you. Projection of the number.
5. Be a part of the Music, Entertain
I tend to love this last comment. If the music overtakes me ( and my skating skills ) or becomes blended piece of background music I might as well be sitting in an elevator..:lol:
This all being said The US system is judged on 2 marks but I believe the overall concept is the same. Good skills, do what your good at and do it well , skate to the number your trying to portray, and most of all , Entertain us..
Best wishes to you all . Starskate.

sk8tmum
08-17-2008, 07:02 AM

I'm curious: have you tested your interpretive yet? If you did, did you get (hopefully) - useful feedback from the judges? Depending on the section (I know, every section is different re: judging assignments and availability), if you're doing it at your Section's Starskate Challenge, the overlap between test day judges and competition judges can be notable, and that could be helpful. Just a thought.

fmh
08-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm curious: have you tested your interpretive yet? If you did, did you get (hopefully) - useful feedback from the judges? Depending on the section (I know, every section is different re: judging assignments and availability), if you're doing it at your Section's Starskate Challenge, the overlap between test day judges and competition judges can be notable, and that could be helpful. Just a thought.

I did most of my tests, and I got all goods and excellents, the judge gave a couple of suggestions, but I find they seem to be much more picky for the competitions!

fmh
08-17-2008, 12:17 PM
You're talking about doing Triathlon this year 2008-2009, right? After this year it might disappear as Skate Canada rearranges everything. Actually, hoping that it happens *this* year as they haven't announced a location yet.

Crapshoot is right. There is an interpretive manual which is a general guideline but I'm not sure what the judges have read:frus: I do believe there is still an aspect of personal preference and lyrical programs with flowy dresses seem to do better than anything else because lyrical translates well to skating. Second choice would be something Tango or Latin. Not everyone is a lyrical skater, if you look at dance, it's like the difference between the waltzes and the tangos. Although dressing a character is frowned upon eg, singing in the rain with yellow raincoat and boot covers is too obvious, doing singing in the rain with yellow dress is okay.

Skating wise, what I was told by judges is that the skaters skating skill level should match their interpretive level. If you've got gold skills, you've got a good attempt at gold interpretive. However, having said that, freeskate level plays a huge part because of the speed and flow across the ice. As someone else said, I think a great fast flowing three turn gets rewarded than a crappy counter.

With Triathon especially, it can be won or lost on interpretive, so playing it safe (eg, lyrical) has seemed to be the trend. The manual says that inventive programs should be rewarded, but I haven't seen it yet. My opinion, especially on stuff that's been tested over the summer is that speed and flow is what it's all about.

I sure hope they dont take out triathalon this year!!!!!!!!!!
I'd have some complaints if they do since they haven't told anyone!, since I made the switch from competetitve to StarSkate this year, and if they dont have nationals I wouldnt switch!

but anyways. thanks for the suggestions!

Virtualsk8r
08-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Correct me if I am wrong -- but somewhere in my memory banks is the news that the triathalon would not change this season as there wasn't enough time to put through the new regulations.....I remember a discussion in our coaches room this summer about it...Skate Canada was going to change the qualifications for it but didn't ...Anyone else hear this? I don't have anyone doing the triathalon because my skaters who could have their gold interpretives but not their gold skills - or freeskate -- so can't compete at the Bronze or Silver level. I remember thinking that one of my skaters could now compete at the Bronze level if the rules did change this year.

slusher
08-17-2008, 05:26 PM
You're right, triathlon isn't going to change this year. For 08/09 it's business as usual. In 09/10, from what I was told, everything is going to change under LTAD. Skate Canada tried to change the triathlon test levels last year 07/08, got huge complaints from coaches, there was a massive rush to test, and some really panicked coaches, and then they decided not to change anything telling everyone it would be implemented in 08/09. For this year 08/09, the memo as I saw it says that the planned test requirements won't be used as all programs are under review for 09/10 so just go with the flow. I really got the impression that it's going to be the last year for Triathlon. They've got a sponsor, HomeSense but it is a very expensive competition to run. Having the adults in with it has mitigated costs some but it's still a huge loss.

However, the delay in announcing a location for triathlon is worrisome. For the girls who compete it's the best who goes, but for the ten or so guys who do triathlon in Canada and almost automatically qualify, it's important to know because a cross country trip can be expensive and if they want to go for it, travel costs are a consideration.

Virtualsk8r, the levels were going to change to have mandatory freeskate tests, junior silver was the minimum for Bronze, and then it didn't matter if there were gold skills or interpretive. That's not in place, so it's the old system, two of three count, I think silver is the hardest level to figure out. COS has most of the bulletins posted on their coach page.

Virtualsk8r
08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks, Slusher......I looked in the members only section of Skate Canada website and there was a new posting on August 15th regarding the StarSkate (including triathalon) events. BTW - COS, WOS and BC have the best websites for staying up to date!