View Full Version : Halloween Classic 2008?

flutzilla1
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
According to the IceWorks website, this year's competition is scheduled for November 1st and 2nd. I haven't seen any forms or any other information yet, however, and we are only 2 1/2 months out from the start date of the competition....so I'm wondering, is this competition still happening? I also saw that the club has South Atlantics on its plate two weeks beforehand, which is an enormous amount of work for any club, and I would imagine running a large adult competition right after that would be completely exhausting.

Anyone have any news?

herniated
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing....

mikawendy
08-12-2008, 12:49 AM
IIRC, last year, that club hosted both South Atlantic regionals and Halloween Classic, so I have faith in their ability to host and organize two comps like that in one season. One of the competition organizers (phillyskater, I think) moved away (we'll miss her!!!), but the club has had many other able volunteers in the past.

flutzilla1
08-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I didn't know they had also done both comps last year mika, thanks for the info! That definitely makes me feel much more confident that this competition will be happening this year. I sure hope it does as it's the only adult comp I have planned all season, as AN and Sectionals are just too far away from me here in NY and I don't have the $ to attend them this year. :(

jenlyon60
08-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Actually it was 2006 the last time that Ice Works hosted Souths.

Last year Souths was at York.

This year it is back at Ice Works/Aston.

The club is fairly used to hosting large events. They host Liberty Open each year, which is as large as, if not larger, than Souths.

starskate6.0
08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Im always amazed at how many competitions and events happen at ice Works. There is often a hockey competition going on in the other rinks at the same time as halloween classic and the place just ticks along.

As a former member of this club i can assure you it will happen and in a big way. There is nothing half a@# about this Adult competition . Its always well run and I have helped out every year as well as skated. great Medals too. :D
The club is well organized to run any event.. :D
I regret I don't think Ill be going this year . The airline industry has me taking pay cuts and has pushed me out of base for the next 4 months to Florida so Iv hung up the skates till at least Christmas.. As for Nationals... :roll: Who knows.

flutzilla1
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm glad to see the announcement is up, yippee!

I don't doubt the club's ability to run a great adult comp -- I did attend last year and had a great time, so that was never an issue. It was more the relatively small 2 week break between the end of Regionals and beginning of HC this year that worried me. Glad to see that it will still be going on and I am hoping to once again attend this year!