View Full Version : Skating Dresses made in China

samba
08-06-2008, 07:19 AM
I have noticed a lot of beautiful skating dresses appearing on e-bay recently that have been made in China, I have been tempted to buy, but am not sure about the conditions in which they are made, does anyone have any idea?

fsk8r
08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I have noticed a lot of beautiful skating dresses appearing on e-bay recently that have been made in China, I have been tempted to buy, but am not sure about the conditions in which they are made, does anyone have any idea?

I don't know the conditions in which they're made but they're showing up at all the competitions and for anyone who's been around ebay a bit you can recognise them. It's like getting a dress from some mass market high street store - everyone knows where it came from.
Although there were two girls at the last competition with basically the same dress, one had it halter, the other had poppers at the shoulder. The poppers caused a "wardrobe" malfunction mid program and the poor girl was trying to do her poppers up whilst continuing on.
I have heard that if you watch ebay long enough you can always get a dress at the opening price in the auction and not the buy it now price, because they cycle around what's in the auction and it's a matter of being patient. Looking at them, there seems to be a tendency that no one outbids the person buying it at $1 on the basis that the shipping probably covers more than just shipping costs.

hanca
08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I bought one. I am really happy with the quality of the dress and was surprised how quickly it came. The price was bargain.

I can't comment on whether someone else will ever have the same one on a competition, but the dress I ordered is beautiful! Perhaps if you want to make sure that someone else doesn't have exactly the same, you can ask them to make it in a different colour. They did it for me. Or ask them to add the sleeves if it is a dress without sleeves...

RachelSk8er
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
One of my friends ordered a really pretty black and white one that came from China. There is also someone selling from (at least it says) Denver and I saw a lot of people in those at ANs. Some of the dresses on ebay though are WAY overdone. Sequins, stones, puffy paint (I think the puffy paint bugs me).

I saw one on there that would be perfect for my flamenco program, but I'm not using the music after this year and the classic, elegant goes-with-anything dress that I spent over $300 on when all was said and done (not to mention the time it took gluing 1000+ stones on it myself) and have only worn twice so far works just fine. Too bad the Hong Kong one doesn't have a longer skirt, otherwise it would be perfect for the paso/tango/argentine.

AshBugg44
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
A couple of my students have ordered them and one is a repeat buyer, and we've all been very happy with the dresses!

katz in boots
08-07-2008, 03:22 AM
When you ask about the conditions in which they are made, do you mean whether they are sweat-shop, made by children etc?
I have no idea how you would research that. Can anyone give tips on how to check that out?

looplover
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
When you ask about the conditions in which they are made, do you mean whether they are sweat-shop, made by children etc?
I have no idea how you would research that. Can anyone give tips on how to check that out?

I'd really like to know this too....

there are 2 dresses on ebay that appear to be knockoffs of a Rosiewear dress that I love. I wouldn't buy them because I don't feel right about it...but they are so much cheaper...

hanca
08-08-2008, 04:06 AM
There is also a dress that is identical to the one Mao Asada wore for her LP at the beginning of the last season.

RachelSk8er
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
So assessing my program for this year and plans for the next two years, I think I will be keeping the current music for 2 full seasons, this and next...I used it last year but the program was put together 3 weeks before ANs and competed once so that doesn't really count. So I did break down and order the one on there I liked (since I need another freestyle dress for compulsories and spin/jump events, and my current free dress would work fine for that). She is making the skirt a little longer so the dress can double for the paso/argentine, since it's chiffon the extra length will be fine for freestyle. I also asked her not to put any stones on it since I enjoy doing that myself and have a different way I'd like them than what was pictured (there were not a lot on this dress).

This dress is actually almost EXACTLY what I was going to make last year to go with this program, but don't have the time and for the $55 this dress will end up costing (before I add stones), it's not even worth trying to make it.

I'll report back when it arrives :)

RachelSk8er
08-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Update on my dress: Wow they are FAST. My auction ended at 11pm on Monday (so 11am Tuesday in China). I had an email from the lady this morning letting me know it shipped. It should arrive in 4-7 days.

Mainemom
08-15-2008, 08:06 AM
My DD picked out one for her new program and it is absolutely beautiful. We were talking about the Chinese dress issue at a competition this summer and one of the ladies in the dressing room had 5! She has them make the skirts longer than pictured as she is very modest and otherwise made exactly to her measurements - which was great to know because DD's dress was big in the waist. At the prices that we have to pay for anything else, including the new boots and blades she'll need this year, I love being able to save money somewhere!

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't know about in the USA or Canada, but here in the UK you can get dinged for customs duty and VAT on skating dresses imported from abroad (guess how I know that!), so be careful.

I believe clothing factories in China offer better conditions to their workforce than some in Eastern Europe do - I, personally, wouldn't worry about buying clothing from them on that score, only on the Customs front. But one doesn't always get dinged, only sometimes!

Ice Dancer
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't know about in the USA or Canada, but here in the UK you can get dinged for customs duty and VAT on skating dresses imported from abroad (guess how I know that!), so be careful.

I believe clothing factories in China offer better conditions to their workforce than some in Eastern Europe do - I, personally, wouldn't worry about buying clothing from them on that score, only on the Customs front. But one doesn't always get dinged, only sometimes!

I think it depends what they say the item is. I believe if they state it's a gift then custom does not apply.

I've recently ordered one of the dresses, I won it last Friday and had the 4-7day email today, so I will update if I have to pay custom on it once it arrives.

Tiggerwoos
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Having bought a couple of dresses from China from Ebay, I would say they are worth buying. However, a word of caution if you are over about 5ft 4 as I'm 5ft 8 and on trying them on discovered they are a tad on the short side, so they really are for the shorter person.

RachelSk8er
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
I've bought other stuff off of Ebay that came from other countires and never had an issue with customs.

I'm glad it looks like I'll have mine in time for testing on the 23rd (even if I don't have time to get stones for it), that way I have time to take it for a test drive and make any necessary ajdustments and add stones before I compete in it on Sept 6th.

phoenix
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a dress from China which fits exactly as they stated, arrived FAST, and I love it! I also have a student who has 2. I'd definitely order from them again.

ETA--I am 6 feet tall w/ a long torso--no length problems at all!

hanca
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I ordered the dress from China and did not have to pay customs duty and VAT. (I live in the UK). Though when I ordered one from USA I did have to pay customs and it cost about £50!

Mainemom
08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Having bought a couple of dresses from China from Ebay, I would say they are worth buying. However, a word of caution if you are over about 5ft 4 as I'm 5ft 8 and on trying them on discovered they are a tad on the short side, so they really are for the shorter person.

I think if you are careful about the size charts, it should be fine. DD is 5'8" with a girth of 67 so we went with the AXL and it definitely is not too short.

fsk8r
08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I ordered the dress from China and did not have to pay customs duty and VAT. (I live in the UK). Though when I ordered one from USA I did have to pay customs and it cost about £50!

The limit used to be that the cost price couldn't be more than £18 for mail order coming into the UK before customs gets interested and double that on a gift. But as people say, some things seem to slip through the net. You can check what the limit is for mail order if you go on the HMRC website, if you are worried but because of the distinction about gifts and the cost declared you are at the mercy of the supplier on what they put on the customs declaration.

isakswings
08-16-2008, 12:28 AM
One of my friends ordered a really pretty black and white one that came from China. There is also someone selling from (at least it says) Denver and I saw a lot of people in those at ANs. Some of the dresses on ebay though are WAY overdone. Sequins, stones, puffy paint (I think the puffy paint bugs me).

I agree! I don't like the over done dresses either! I would never buy dd one of those horrible and totally tacky dresses... YUCK. I think her coach would croak if I showed up with one! LOL. Maybe if I could buy one for 1.00 including shipping, I might buy one as a JOKE just to see dd's coaches reaction, but other then that, no way, no how! LOL

RachelSk8er
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree! I don't like the over done dresses either! I would never buy dd one of those horrible and totally tacky dresses... YUCK. I think her coach would croak if I showed up with one! LOL. Maybe if I could buy one for 1.00 including shipping, I might buy one as a JOKE just to see dd's coaches reaction, but other then that, no way, no how! LOL

I think puffy paint + skating dresses just gives me horrible flashbacks to the early 90s when my synchro team (well, it was called precision team back then) would get our finished competition dresses dresses, which were usually already hideous, and the coach and team manager would decide that something was "missing"....and since we were not allowed sequins, rhinestones, etc...usually that meant some sort of puffy painted fugliness would be added to our already horrid dresses. For example, in the photo below from 1993, as if the fact that we skated to The Country Bears Jamboree and had to wear homemade white Davy Crockett hats were not traumatizing enough, they added lace appliques covered in puffy paint:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/rachillsk8/forestwood.jpg

It's a wonder I'm still around after some of the fug I've had to wear over the years :) This was not the worst I had to wear but it was the only example I had handy. I think this is why, as an adult and now that I'm skating singles, I'm going nuts with the dresses. Because I need to make up for all the ugly I was forced to wear.

SkaterBird
08-17-2008, 11:11 PM

I saw one on there that would be perfect for my flamenco program, but I'm not using the music after this year and the classic, elegant goes-with-anything dress that I spent over $300 on when all was said and done (not to mention the time it took gluing 1000+ stones on it myself) and have only worn twice so far works just fine. Too bad the Hong Kong one doesn't have a longer skirt, otherwise it would be perfect for the paso/tango/argentine.

Oh, dear - I won't go so far as to say that I actually LIKE painted dresses, but I have one anyway. From eBay. My daughter, who has that fashion sense typical of nine-year-old aspiring artists, chose it. She saw some girls (her own age, mind you!!!!) wearing similar ones at our rink and thought that a hand-painted dress would be very pretty for me too. So I bought this one with her wholehearted approval (and because it was sale priced so not too painful an invenstment for something I'll wear once or twice). I will probably wear it for a beginner-level interpretive program at Adult Mids, assuming they have an introductory level interpretive event again (they did last year). It's okay - overdone with paint and all kinds of sparkles, but okay. Goes nicely with my sparkling personality. It has a longer point skirt, which helps - at least it covers most of the hips, and the thunder thighs.

sk8tmum
08-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Okay, I'm admitting to cluelessness here ... please forgive me, I'm HOCKEY going back generations, not a lot of decoration on hockey stuff ;)

What IS puffy paint? Anybody got some examples, because I'm completely intrigued ... it just sounds so weird.

sk8lady
08-18-2008, 06:15 AM
Paint that explodes outward after you paint it on. It's truly amazing stuff. Really fun to use, although it's not necessarily the height of fashion. The only garment I own with puffy paint on it is a pink painted hockey jersey somebody in my rec group made for me. Very ironic!!

This is not to say that hand-painted dresses are ALL tacky. I've seen some very beautiful hand-painted dresses, both skating dresses and evening wear. And the point of rhinestones and sequins is not necessarily to look great close up--they have to look good from whatever distance people are going to be watching you from--which means you need about ten times as many crystals as look attractive and classy close up--otherwise they generally can't be seen at all!

sk8tmum
08-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Paint that explodes outward after you paint it on. It's truly amazing stuff. Really fun to use, although it's not necessarily the height of fashion.

This is not to say that hand-painted dresses are ALL tacky. And the point of rhinestones and sequins is not necessarily to look great close up--they have to look good from whatever distance people are going to be watching you from--which means you need about ten times as many crystals as look attractive and classy close up--otherwise they generally can't be seen at all!

Okay, NOW I recognize the puffy paint stuff - thanks! I was getting it confused with handpainting, which can be very attractive.

You're so right about the rhinestone stuff: Piles of SS30 Swarovskis look tacky up close, but, darn, they look good on the ice ! Just like stage or competition makeup, if you think about it ...

Mrs Redboots
08-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Puffy paint is a kind of fabric paint. You paint your design as usual, and when it is dry, you blast it with a hair-dryer and it puffs up.

I agree with the previous poster - you really do need to go OTT when going on the ice. Far heavier make-up than you would normally wear, and certainly more than you'd normally allow a child to wear. Think stage make-up! And masses of sparkles and glitter and sequins so that you show up on the ice.

And there are some lovely dip-dyed and hand-painted dresses out there (and our very own Flo does some wonderful hand-painting!).

RachelSk8er
08-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I've also seen some handpainted dresses that were gorgeous, especially some of the airbrushing work I've seen over the years (Les Supremes, a Canadian senior synchro team, had these AMAZING dresses back in 03 or 04 when they did their Human Body program---they weren't exactly pretty but they were 100% perfect for the program, you could have used the things to teach an anatomy class).

But generally....puffy paint....eek. Must be used sparingly. Or not at all.

However, in my book, there is no such thing as too many rhinestones :)

SkaterBird
08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I've also seen some handpainted dresses that were gorgeous, especially some of the airbrushing work I've seen over the years (Les Supremes, a Canadian senior synchro team, had these AMAZING dresses back in 03 or 04 when they did their Human Body program---they weren't exactly pretty but they were 100% perfect for the program, you could have used the things to teach an anatomy class).

But generally....puffy paint....eek. Must be used sparingly. Or not at all.

However, in my book, there is no such thing as too many rhinestones :)

Well, the paint (puffy and otherwise) on mine is NOT used sparingly. It is ALL that you would EVER want in a sparkly velvet dress with large painted flowers (flat paint, mercifully), puffy-paint outlining of said flowers, puffy paint dots (think of them as snowflakes, sort of), sequins, and - drum roll here - glitter.:roll: But it was the only one we could find in my size (adult XL, and quite tight at that!!! Slender I am NOT), AND it was on sale. So I bought it, and Laura adores it, and I shall wear it a few times if I can ever find some music that will work with it (Loreena McKennitt's Courtyard Lullabye is a serious possibility). But I am nearing 50 (as in, next March), and if I can't let myself look utterly silly and laugh about it then I have no business skating in public anyway at my age, weight (high) and skill-level (low). ;) At least the thigh-length point skirt will flow beautifully, beautifully, beautifully.

Skittl1321
08-18-2008, 01:36 PM
SkaterBird- I think we are going to need to see a picture of that dress!

sk8_4fun
08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I have one of the dresses from china, bought from ebay. Its suprisingly well made. I gave my measurements and asked for a longer skirt and it arrived within 10 days, a perfect fit. Its quite plain as I wanted a practice dress. I'm delighted with it.:D

SkaterBird
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
SkaterBird- I think we are going to need to see a picture of that dress!

Not possible -- it's way too bright for any camera currently existing. It would just come out as one big shiny dot. :lol: At least it has sleeves (added by my sister, who could barely contain her laughter - SHE is the OTT one in the family!!!) Moi does not go sleeveless.

A word about the dresses from China - I bought one (which I won't be wearing anytime soon - it's for a program I've planned in my mind and am several years away from, skill-wise). It is nicely done for the price, decent seams, decent quality stretch velvet. It isn't a "top of the line" dress from Del Arbour, but it won't break the bank either, even with shipping. A while back there was a lady on eBay who was reproducing some of the dresses from China for a flat fee of $80.00, including shipping. I'd have asked her to do this one except I haven't seen her list anything on eBay lately. However, I don't think that child labor is being exploited in the production of these dresses - I think that one firm is probably producing and listing dresses under several seller IDs, as the dresses all seem to look alike. I would not have bought this dress, nor would I recommend any of the dresses, if I believed they were being produced with child labor. I have strong feelings about that - my daughter was born in China, as were several of her best friends. I think the price of the dresses has more to do with the relative desirability of American dollars to Chinese yuan (even with the dollar's decline) and the fact that at least some of the cost is incorporated into the shipping charge.

RachelSk8er
08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Not possible -- it's way too bright for any camera currently existing. It would just come out as one big shiny dot. :lol: At least it has sleeves (added by my sister, who could barely contain her laughter - SHE is the OTT one in the family!!!) Moi does not go sleeveless.

A word about the dresses from China - I bought one (which I won't be wearing anytime soon - it's for a program I've planned in my mind and am several years away from, skill-wise). It is nicely done for the price, decent seams, decent quality stretch velvet. It isn't a "top of the line" dress from Del Arbour, but it won't break the bank either, even with shipping. A while back there was a lady on eBay who was reproducing some of the dresses from China for a flat fee of $80.00, including shipping. I'd have asked her to do this one except I haven't seen her list anything on eBay lately. However, I don't think that child labor is being exploited in the production of these dresses - I think that one firm is probably producing and listing dresses under several seller IDs, as the dresses all seem to look alike. I would not have bought this dress, nor would I recommend any of the dresses, if I believed they were being produced with child labor. I have strong feelings about that - my daughter was born in China, as were several of her best friends. I think the price of the dresses has more to do with the relative desirability of American dollars to Chinese yuan (even with the dollar's decline) and the fact that at least some of the cost is incorporated into the shipping charge.

Plus the fabric is probably MUCH less expensive for them (especially at the quantities they may buy) and thus makes the overall cost less. I have a family friend who is a buyer for JoAnn Fabric, and she is constantly going over to China to look at new fabrics for the store. What we pay per yard here includes all the additional charges of getting it here, the store markup, etc.

Skittl1321
08-18-2008, 04:39 PM
For those who are wary about buying from China, but like the look of the crazy-decorated dresses (which probably look great from the stands, but a bit insane from up close, IMO) there is a USA seller with a similiar look.

http://stores.ebay.com/Princess-On-Ice-Skating-Wear
Note: I've never used this seller, so it's not a recommendation.

I wonder if this means the puffy-paint skate dresses are coming back? It's certainly cheaper than rhinestones...

I much prefer a simpler style, and some of the China made ones really are quite simple... I'm torn as whether I should get one, or use the money to buy a new pattern to try to further my own sewing skills.

jazzpants
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
For those who are wary about buying from China, but like the look of the crazy-decorated dresses (which probably look great from the stands, but a bit insane from up close, IMO) there is a USA seller with a similiar look.

I would so get those for like a Chinese or an Indian music number!!! :)

*sigh* None of the eBay stuff matches up with the style I have in mind for my interp number. It's definitely a Watercolours or custom design thing for me, unfortunately. (And the dress I bought at AN won't go with the interp number I'm doing... it's modern music and the dress I got is more lyrical and ballerina-ish...) :frus:

livestrong04
08-19-2008, 07:46 AM
i bought one of the China dresses on eBay - I got the seller name and link off one of the posts earlier this year about finding dresses Adult XL (something like bjchengie). None of this seller's dresses started at $1 auctions - most were $20 - 50+ depending on the style. I bouht a velvet halter dress with rhinestones and silver sequin appliques from top to bottom on a diagonal. I was impressed with the quality - the bodice was lined with a mesh fabric, finishing seemed good. I didn't know the sequin design was going to be applique - not as pretty as sequins sewn on individually, but hey for the price, what can you expect? It will look fine on the ice. It makes the skirt hang a little strange where one of the appliques is sewn on the skirt.

One caution - I thought the dress was too big. I wear Small in Jerry's, Mondor and Mainstreet Skatewear, Medium in Sharene and based on the size chart, I thought Adult Small was the right size for the China dress as well. XS was not an option. I will have to have the halter straps adjusted, and if I got really picky, I might have the dress altered at the waist so the bottoms are a little tighter. But aside from the halter straps needing a big adjustment, the dress is wearable as-is.

It's really pretty and exactly what I wanted for a program. I had looked at dresses on at least 50 web sites and nothing was right, so I was pretty thrilled to find this and for only $55 ($30 + $25 shipping). AND - I got the dress so quickly! Many days before I got my Mainstreet dress. Plus the seller gave you a link to a shipping site so I could literally track the progress day by day.

I will buy again!

flying~camel
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I just put a bid in on one of these Chinese dresses because the conversation here and at CAS has piqued my curiosity ;)

Worst case scenario is that I'm out $50!

RachelSk8er
08-20-2008, 07:11 AM
I just put a bid in on one of these Chinese dresses because the conversation here and at CAS has piqued my curiosity ;)

Worst case scenario is that I'm out $50!

Ha ha that would be hilarious if we showed up to a competition in the same dress.

Mine is in the US and cleared customs so it should arrive any day :)

Canskater
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi:

The only complaint I have with the dresses from China is the fact that the Chinese manufacturers/dressmakers have no respect for "intellectual property" and copy designs from other parties. In some instances, the Chinese dress is a duplicate of something which was sold as a custom dress to a party to paid big money for unique skating attire.

-- sheilagh

BuggieMom
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM

JMHO....but as far as over the top goes, those are far and beyond! :giveup:

I agree that you have to go a bit OTT with skating dresses (guilty), but there comes a point where the girl doesn't wear the dress, the dress wears the girl. Puffy paint, or any embellishment, can be overdone to the point of ridiculous. I, for one, am not a fan of puffy paint. I agree with the previous poster who said it reminds her of the 90's! But if I needed to use it on a dress, and could do it well and not have it look like a joke, I would.

jazzpants
08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
JMHO....but as far as over the top goes, those are far and beyond! :giveup:

I agree that you have to go a bit OTT with skating dresses (guilty), but there comes a point where the girl doesn't wear the dress, the dress wears the girl. Puffy paint, or any embellishment, can be overdone to the point of ridiculous. I, for one, am not a fan of puffy paint. I agree with the previous poster who said it reminds her of the 90's! But if I needed to use it on a dress, and could do it well and not have it look like a joke, I would.
I think it depends on the program number.... that said, I tend to be the Sharene type of gal and there is such as thing as "puffy paint" tastefully done. (Which brings me to why I'm going to go with Watercolours for this year. I want to pick and choose the color scheme and the design... not the dressmaker themselves!)

For the dressmaker that Skittle1321 posted about, I would get something from them if I were to do an Indian, Chinese or Indonesian type of number.

I like this one out of the China dressmaker group : http://stores.ebay.com/lucktao2006

ETA: Uh oh... this dress (http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ180269597945QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4939 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) is making me rethink going with Watercolours.... or this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ180277188718QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4939 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)!!! LOL!!! :lol:

looplover
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
*sigh* I've really got to get a new dress but I tend to hate every dress I see. I confess: I really, really hate figure skating dresses...

...except for the custom ones the elites wear! Those are always nice!

Hey, any lurking elites, I would be happy to wear your hand-me-downs, thanks :halo:

If only Vera Wang were lurking and would happily design for this adult bronze skater...or come out with a SimplyVera selection of skating dresses at Kohl's...

I think I need to learn to sew. Or develop independent wealth to afford the really expensive ones, which also seem to be the most flattering and glitzy within reason ones...

stacyf419
08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I just bought a sewing machine and am fooling around with some old scraps until I get the hang of things, but it seems to me that fabric is so darn expensive! The Chinese dressmakers must get it so cheaply. There used to be a Joann's fabrics near me but that closed, and now I think I'd probably have to go in the city (NYC), or order online.

jazzpants
08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
*sigh* I've really got to get a new dress but I tend to hate every dress I see. I confess: I really, really hate figure skating dresses...

...except for the custom ones the elites wear! Those are always nice!What I would do... is to go thru the dress that aren't already stoned (like some of the Chinese ones aren't really stoned) get some rhinestones and stone it yourself. I actually stoned one dress I bought off Six-O and someone had said that a particular skating mom (that used to stone a lot of the kiddie skater's dress) did a great job on my dress... only to find out that *I* did the stoning!!! They were SHOCKED!!! (Of course, I should mention that I don't come off as the arts and crafts type or even the creative type. They all think "computer nerd" when they meet me.)

I'm gonna do the same when I get my Watercolour dress too... (stoning it...)

Hey, any lurking elites, I would be happy to wear your hand-me-downs, thanks :halo:
I'll take Bebe Liang's hand me downs!!! She's my height and size!!! :)

(One of her designers is none other than her WONDERFUL choreographer, Braden Overett, who also skates Sr. Men at Nationals too!!! OMG!!! That kid's got LOTS of talent!!! 8O :bow: )

Ice Dancer
08-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Quick question to those who have already ordered, and received a dress, mine on the tracking website says it has been handed over to customs. Is this normal? I've never bought anything from another country before so it's all new to me!

Mrs Redboots
08-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Quick question to those who have already ordered, and received a dress, mine on the tracking website says it has been handed over to customs. Is this normal? I've never bought anything from another country before so it's all new to me!
You will eventually get a letter from Customs telling you how much VAT and Import Duty you have to pay, and where you can go to pay it and pick up your parcel. You need to take your passport with you for ID - they don't like accepting less.

It'll probably be around £50.

Thin-Ice
08-21-2008, 02:55 AM
I think it depends on the program number.... that said, I tend to be the Sharene type of gal and there is such as thing as "puffy paint" tastefully done. (Which brings me to why I'm going to go with Watercolours for this year. I want to pick and choose the color scheme and the design... not the dressmaker themselves!)

I like this one out of the China dressmaker group : http://stores.ebay.com/lucktao2006

ETA: Uh oh... this dress (http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ180269597945QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4939 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) is making me rethink going with Watercolours.... or this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ180277188718QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4939 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)!!! LOL!!! :lol:

OHHHHH, I can totally see you in the lavender-to-lilac ombre dress! That would be GORGEOUS on you! (and yes, I realize it's sleeveless... but you could have nude sleeves added to it if you're not into the whole sleeveless dress-thing and then scatter those purple-y colors you like so well on the sleeves. And I have to say, it just cracks me up that you practice in "tomboy clothes" -- but you sure "clean up nicely" when you go out for competition. (Alexei F. does too... is it something in the air at your primary rink?)

RachelSk8er
08-21-2008, 07:10 AM
My dress arrived yesterday! After a long day of work followed by 3 hrs of law school, it was nice to roll in the door at 9pm to a package waiting for me :) So the dress was made and shipped in just under a week and a half.

To the question about customs on the online tracking--yes, that's normal. Mine showed like that the other day, too. They register it as a "gift" so there are no issues with customs or anything like that, at least not in my case.

The dress....it came just as pictured with the modifications I asked for (2 extra inches on the skirt length and no stones). It's no Del Arbour, but the material is just as nice as any I'd buy here. The dress is very well made, the bodice is even fully-lined. The nude mesh fabric they use does seem very light in color, it's a little lighter than what is on my other dresses, however I've also got a really good tan going right now so that just makes it look lighter.

I ordered an XL (I wear about a size 12 and a 36C-D, almost all of my dresses that I currently wear are Del Arbour since they did all the competition and practice dresses for the past 2 synchro clubs I skated for, as well as my current freestyle dress and with them, I wear a 12-14 and the size charts were comprable). The dress is a little big, not too big if I wanted to wear it for testing tomorrow though. It's mainly a little long in the torso and I seem to have A LOT of room in the booty area and the leg cut has plenty of extra fabric (it almost fits like boy short underwear). The whole thing can easily be fixed by just having someone make the panty part smaller, and that will get rid of some of the extra torso room and the skirt will then sit where, on me, is the perfect place for it to sit.

Jen--this is probably good for you to know since I think you're a little bit taller than me?

I'm happy that it's a good crossover dress for free and dance (the skirt is mid-thigh, but 2 layers of chiffon so it's lighter), I think it will give a lot of character to my program and the tango/paso/argentine when it comes to dance.

livestrong04
08-21-2008, 07:46 AM
RachelSk8er described much better than I did how my China dress is a little too big - her description is exactly the way mine fits: (I don't know how to copy part of someone's post like everyone else does where it shows who the poster was, so I just copied her text below):

It's mainly a little long in the torso and I seem to have A LOT of room in the booty area and the leg cut has plenty of extra fabric (it almost fits like boy short underwear).

And same for mine on the Customs - I tracked it online, saw that it was in Customs - next status was - ring on my doorbell from the mail carrier with my package! I'm in US - it was registered as a gift as well so no tax. Would there be tax on something that only cost $30? I have no idea. I don't want to break any laws.

Skittl1321
08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
And same for mine on the Customs - I tracked it online, saw that it was in Customs - next status was - ring on my doorbell from the mail carrier with my package! I'm in US - it was registered as a gift as well so no tax. Would there be tax on something that only cost $30? I have no idea. I don't want to break any laws.

I don't know if they would actually charge taxes on something like that, but it's possible they might.

If you did not ask for it to be labeled as a gift, it's not you who is skirting customs- it's them, so unless you buy in high volume from them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. This, however, is why I won't sell ebay internationally- most people want things labeled as gift to keep from paying taxes, and if it's not a gift, I won't label it as such.

fsk8r
08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't know if they would actually charge taxes on something like that, but it's possible they might.

If you did not ask for it to be labeled as a gift, it's not you who is skirting customs- it's them, so unless you buy in high volume from them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. This, however, is why I won't sell ebay internationally- most people want things labeled as gift to keep from paying taxes, and if it's not a gift, I won't label it as such.

It depends on the customs regulations. In the UK you can still be charged import duty on gifts if they are valued over a certain level. Having it marked as a gift just raises the level where they start becoming interested in it.
But sometimes things not marked as gifts get through when they're over the limit and other times when things are at the limit they get taxed, so it depends on whether you get lucky.
You can find all the information out on government websites, so it shouldn't be a surprise when you get told to pay something (and it's a pleasant one when you're not!).

jazzpants
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
OHHHHH, I can totally see you in the lavender-to-lilac ombre dress! That would be GORGEOUS on you! (and yes, I realize it's sleeveless... but you could have nude sleeves added to it if you're not into the whole sleeveless dress-thing and then scatter those purple-y colors you like so well on the sleeves.I have asked the seller if they can attach the nude mesh sleeve. I know one buyer who has done something similar and was able to get what she wanted (for like $10 extra), so I think I can get that out of them.

And I have to say, it just cracks me up that you practice in "tomboy clothes" -- but you sure "clean up nicely" when you go out for competition. (Alexei F. does too... is it something in the air at your primary rink?)"Tomboy clothes", eh? Must be an occupational hazard. (Both of us are computer engineers!) Well, I don't know about Alexei... but if you have a nagging primary coach who whines "Are you going to wear your hair like THAT!" (it was in a ponytail), you BETTER clean up nicely!!! 8O :twisted: :P :lol:

flying~camel
08-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I have asked the seller if they can attach the nude mesh sleeve. I know one buyer who has done something similar and was able to get what she wanted (for like $10 extra), so I think I can get that out of them.

I asked them to add black mesh sleeves to the dress I just won and they said it would not be a problem (they didn't ask me to pay any more, either).

Like RachelSk8er, I also asked them not to stone the dress since I like to do it myself and I also am going to use this for a Spanish-themed program and would like to do a Spanish-themed stone pattern.

Isk8NYC
08-21-2008, 10:30 AM
And same for mine on the Customs - I tracked it online, saw that it was in Customs - next status was - ring on my doorbell from the mail carrier with my package! I'm in US - it was registered as a gift as well so no tax. Would there be tax on something that only cost $30? I have no idea. I don't want to break any laws.My sister's an Import Broker, so I'll ask her about this and let you guys know what she says. She won't tip off Customs, don't worry.

Virtualsk8r
08-21-2008, 11:05 AM
FYI - when I ordered a dress from Carrie Jones in the USA- it came through the mail regular post but the postman ran the bell to collect taxes, etc. Lucky for me - I had enough cash on hand.

In my experience ordering from USA, UK and others - sometimes stuff comes through regular mail without any problems, even if the item is not declared a gift, and other times the parcel has been held up at customs so I have had to go in person to pay the duties, taxes etc. before it would be released. In one case, I ordered blades that should have come in with reduced duty and I had to pay the higher duty then go after customs for a refund.

Ice Dancer
08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
You will eventually get a letter from Customs telling you how much VAT and Import Duty you have to pay, and where you can go to pay it and pick up your parcel. You need to take your passport with you for ID - they don't like accepting less.

It'll probably be around £50.

I certainly hope not as that's double what I paid for the dress including postage!!!

Still on the subject of customs, does anyone know if the value of the item includes what you paid for postage? I've found that if the value is under £18 then no duty is paid. The dress itself was way under this figure, but with postage it would be over that. I'm just curious as to how they work it.

I'm not overly bothered if I have to pay a bit, however I know others from the UK who have bought the same items and haven't had to pay, and it just seems pot luck if you get charged or don't.

Estimated arrival date is now up for tomorrow, I done a bit of detective work on google earlier and found the courier that is used once it arrives in England, so I'll keep you posted.

Virtualsk8r
08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Value of an item can be either the cost to you (if it is less than the replacement value) ...or the true value. So if you paid X for a dress or pair of blades but the replacement or full selling price is Y - then duty is usually paid on Y if you claim that amount on the customs form.

Postage is not included as this is a service to send the item.

jazzpants
08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I asked them to add black mesh sleeves to the dress I just won and they said it would not be a problem (they didn't ask me to pay any more, either).

Like RachelSk8er, I also asked them not to stone the dress since I like to do it myself and I also am going to use this for a Spanish-themed program and would like to do a Spanish-themed stone pattern.

Uh oh... I found YET another dress (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Made-To-Fit-Ice-Skating-Dance-Twirling-Dress_W0QQitemZ310073479271QQihZ021QQcategoryZ2122 7QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)... and they will do the stoning work for me... and I need the dress within the month....

Oh, dear... :( :frus: :giveup: :P

amcnulty
08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Uh oh... I found YET another dress (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Made-To-Fit-Ice-Skating-Dance-Twirling-Dress_W0QQitemZ310073479271QQihZ021QQcategoryZ2122 7QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262)... and they will do the stoning work for me... and I need the dress within the month....

I purchased a dress from this seller for my daughter. It is excellent quality and she gets compliments on it every time she has worn it. I definately recommend the seller (although the dress we purchased was already made so I do not know how quick she is on custom sizes)

Good luck deciding!

Thin-Ice
08-22-2008, 02:16 AM

Bad news Jazzpants!!! This dress would look MUCH better on you.. it would emphasize a long body line, where the first dress (which is still beautiful) has a more horizontal line to it and would make you look shorter. The second purple dress would be better for your shoulders and hips too..... not that you asked for my opinion.....:lol:

fsk8r
08-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I certainly hope not as that's double what I paid for the dress including postage!!!

Still on the subject of customs, does anyone know if the value of the item includes what you paid for postage? I've found that if the value is under £18 then no duty is paid. The dress itself was way under this figure, but with postage it would be over that. I'm just curious as to how they work it.

I'm not overly bothered if I have to pay a bit, however I know others from the UK who have bought the same items and haven't had to pay, and it just seems pot luck if you get charged or don't.

Estimated arrival date is now up for tomorrow, I done a bit of detective work on google earlier and found the courier that is used once it arrives in England, so I'll keep you posted.

From what I've understood from customs (and I've had pot luck on what I've paid) I think the £18 is what is declared on the invoice /customs declaration. So despite you being told by ebay that say the item is £5 and shipping is £20 if the customs declaration has it the other way around (so the cost is £20 and shipping is £5) then that's what they charge you. I doubt the bill will be £50 if it does get stopped. My sister has had dresses stopped at customs and a ski jacket and neither of those cost as much as £50. I don't think she paid more than £20 for either, but don't quote me. I paid about £20 for a couple of metal spinners which got caught. (Then again my carrie jones dress which was $100 in the sale managed to get through without being stopped and that invoice said something well over £18).
Fingers crossed customs isn't interested in yours. Let us know the prices if you do get stung. It's worth knowing what they charge for next time. I've got two skirts in the post from Canada and I'm hoping that they sneak through.

RachelSk8er
08-22-2008, 07:10 AM

That dress is gorgeous.

Mrs Redboots
08-22-2008, 07:50 AM
(I don't know how to copy part of someone's post like everyone else does where it shows who the poster was, so I just copied her text below):You press the button marked "Quote" at the bottom right corner of the relevant post - you can delete anything you don't want in the quote. If you wish to quote several people, as I did, you press the " button - bottom far right - and then when you are ready you press the "Press Reply" button.

I certainly hope not as that's double what I paid for the dress including postage!!!Then let's hope they'll let it go. They didn't mine, and I did have to pay around £50 on it, but then, I think it had cost around $200 in the first place (ordered it to be made in 2005 when we were at Adult Nationals, and it didn't arrive until quite a long time after we'd gone home. And it was NOT marked as a gift!).

Ice Dancer
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
It arrived today with no custom!!

It's also absolutely gorgeous, soft stretchy velvet and very well made. They also supplied additional rhinestones which I thought was a nice touch.

I just need to lose a few pounds now so I don't look like a blue elephant in it!!

RachelSk8er
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I just wore mine for the first time (for testing) and it got a lot of compliments! I think I'm going to get stones tomorrow.

The sleeves were a tad annoying for freestyle, but I'll practice it in a bit and if I don't like it, I will just wear it for dance. I could always take off the flared parts and it'll just have 3/4 sleeves, but I like them for dance.

cazzie
08-22-2008, 04:16 PM
My daughter has an extremely OTT brown and orange one from this seller. Works really well for her Indian themed free program - she is a bit of a performer though and could see why it may not suit many kids.

She has one great figure skating dress from China - but - what we really are going to need in the near future is ice-dance dresses. Don't seem to be many at the CHinese stores and they do seem to be less available.

littlekateskate
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM

THey made a dress to order for my daughter and it was fabulous quality and quick! Great people to work with!

samba
08-23-2008, 02:58 AM
I suppose the only way I would get a real answer to my question would be to go out there and see for myself which is a bit extreme.

However as an awful lot of people seem to use them I would be worried about bumping into myself, so I will probably go to my normal dress maker.

Many thanks to all for your feedback.

Mrs Redboots
08-23-2008, 08:54 AM
It arrived today with no custom!!

It's also absolutely gorgeous, soft stretchy velvet and very well made. They also supplied additional rhinestones which I thought was a nice touch.

I just need to lose a few pounds now so I don't look like a blue elephant in it!!

Oh well, you and I can both look like blue elephants at Oxford, as I expect I'll wear my blue for at least one class!

RachelSk8er
08-23-2008, 10:39 AM
My daughter has an extremely OTT brown and orange one from this seller. Works really well for her Indian themed free program - she is a bit of a performer though and could see why it may not suit many kids.

She has one great figure skating dress from China - but - what we really are going to need in the near future is ice-dance dresses. Don't seem to be many at the CHinese stores and they do seem to be less available.

The seller I bought from had some longer skirts, and actually made my skirt 2" longer for no extra charge. A lot of the other dress companies in the US will put a dance skirt on a dress for $20-40 extra.

Ice Dancer
08-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Oh well, you and I can both look like blue elephants at Oxford, as I expect I'll wear my blue for at least one class!

Will be Bracknell and Guildford next year for me! Am hoping that leaves me plenty of time to look less elephant-like but with me and diets probably not!!!

sk8_4fun
08-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Well I too have a nice new blue dress and hope to be in elephant mode at Oxford in 2009 lol! :D

airyfairy76
08-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Maybe I'll come to Oxford '09 as a pink elephant instead, lol. :P

sk8_4fun
08-31-2008, 12:28 PM

I might see you there then. I would like to have gone this year but I'm not good enough for the lowest category even. I mean it would be an experience, but not in good way. I mean I'm likely to get my butt kicked out the rink even next year but you have to go with a bit of fighting chance don't you!:bow:!

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2008, 11:57 AM
You wouldn't look like an elephant even if you came to Oxford this year! Wish you and sk8_4fun would come to watch.

Anyway, aren't you (both or singly) doing Dunkerque?

airyfairy76
09-02-2008, 09:54 AM
You wouldn't look like an elephant even if you came to Oxford this year! Wish you and sk8_4fun would come to watch.

Looked at the dances for the bottom level - both too advanced for me. Haven't done either of them yet!!!!

I'd love to come and watch Oxford - I'll have to see what trains go up there. Unless yourself and Mr R happen to be going through North London en route :lol:

Mrs Redboots
09-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Looked at the dances for the bottom level - both too advanced for me. Haven't done either of them yet!!!!

I'd love to come and watch Oxford - I'll have to see what trains go up there. Unless yourself and Mr R happen to be going through North London en route :lol:

Alas, we'll be going straight to the M40! But one year I went by train and booked in advance and it was only £4.00 one way (APEX return - you have to book at least 2 weeks in advance). And it's walking distance from the station, so easy enough to do. If we were a little nearer Paddington, we'd probably go by train anyway, but it takes us longer to get to Paddington, especially on Sundays, than it takes to get from Paddington to Oxford!

sk8_4fun
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM

I'd need more than a bit of dunkerque spirit to get me up to standard! I might get to watch Oxford tho if finances will allow. :giveup:

RachelSk8er
09-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I just got around to stoning mine, it looks fabulous. Think I need more on the body but for now, it's fine....I am planning on competing in it tomorrow so I will have to post pics. I love how the stones cost more than having the dress made/shipped...and I didn't even go as stone crazy as I normally do on this dress (yet...so far only about 250...but I have another 200 or so I will probably go back and add later...nothing like the 1000-1200 on my other two dresses and the sparkle extravaganza I have planned for an old synchro dress from 1997 that I am reviving for waltzes).

RachelSk8er
09-08-2008, 10:14 AM
My dress!

ETA: Trying to get a pic up, but I have flikr set to too high a privacy....will try with photobucket later.

flying~camel
09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I got my dress last week and it fits perfectly!! Now I need to get some stones and start blinging it up. If I get it done before Buckeye, maybe I'll wear it for Silver spins!

isakswings
09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I got my dress last week and it fits perfectly!! Now I need to get some stones and start blinging it up. If I get it done before Buckeye, maybe I'll wear it for Silver spins!

If you buy one from China, will they take your meaurements and custom it to fit you? My daughter is a thin little girl but has a longer torso. In order to get the right torso length, I sometimes need to order a little larger. When I do that, the other emasurements don't always mesh. I'm working on learning to make her dresses, but until then, I'd love another option. :-)

jazzpants
09-09-2008, 10:47 AM
If you buy one from China, will they take your meaurements and custom it to fit you? My daughter is a thin little girl but has a longer torso. In order to get the right torso length, I sometimes need to order a little larger. When I do that, the other emasurements don't always mesh. I'm working on learning to make her dresses, but until then, I'd love another option. :-)
Most of the listings from China do say that they will custom make the dress but it will take a little bit long to show up. Might want to contact the seller to find out how long it would take for the dress to get to you if it's custom.

Mel On Ice
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I just got a deal on a dress at Rivers Edge Dancewear, or else I'd be tempted to buy a dress too.

aussieskater
09-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Yes they do. When I ordered my daughter's first dress, I decided to try one of the Chinese ones, but figured that because they are so cheap, they'd skimp on the fabric and their "child size 12" wouldn't fit a child whose measurements were within the "child size 12" ranges they have on their website. So I decided to add 4 inches to each measurement except the girth (where she was at the bottom of the range). I knew that if the fit was too big, I could always take it in...

The dress arrived 10 days later with a swing tag which had the measurements I had provided written on it by hand, and the dress was made exactly to the measurements on the tag...so it was somewhat too large!! I ended up taking all the additional 4 inches out from everywhere, and it was quite a job as arms etc had to be adjusted as well.

What really surprised me was that the custom order didn't seem to take any longer than a regular order - they said 3 weeks but it arrived much sooner than that.

RachelSk8er
09-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh these darn dresses are addicting! I'm now bidding on another (justifying it because it's cheap, goes great with the music I am for sure using next season and probably the year after, but if i get it now I can wear it for compulsory at Buckeye and other events at other comps this year...)

Since the AXL was a little big, I'm either going with a L this time or just sending my measurements.

Did anyone else who got one of these find the nude mesh fabric they use to be a little on the light side? My other one looked kind of funny when I wore it last weekend...granted I do have a good tan going right now, but even compared to my other dresses the material they use is a much lighter shade.

Scarlett
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
The mesh has me worried. I ordered one from them recently with a "nude" insert and in the directions stated that I was not white. They said they would use a darker mesh but without a picture I have no idea what color mesh they are going to send. We'll see when it gets here.

Ice Dancer
09-14-2008, 12:06 PM
My one has mesh on it, and it is fine. I have very pale skin and it doesn't look out of place at all.

I have to stop myself keep looking at them as I know I would buy more, including postage they are cheaper than getting just skirts from England!

RachelSk8er
09-14-2008, 02:17 PM
My one has mesh on it, and it is fine. I have very pale skin and it doesn't look out of place at all.

I have to stop myself keep looking at them as I know I would buy more, including postage they are cheaper than getting just skirts from England!

Yeah mine probably just looked funny because I have a pretty good tan going. I'm sure come a month from now when I have returned to my normal pasty self, it will be fine. Although I am considering doing a little tanning--yes, it's not the best thing for you, but considering that in another month or so, I won't actually see daylight at all during the week other than on my lunch break (it's still dark when I leave for work, my cubicle is not near any windows, it will soon be dark when I leave work to go to class at 4:30pm) and regardless the sun doesn't shine from about late October-late April anyway...it might just make me feel better and not let me get all seasonally depressed. And 20 min to just zone out in a warm cozy place and not think about work, law school, skating or anything else might be good for me. But then again I also promised myself last month when school started that I'd start getting a manicure and pedicure each month, and I've yet to find time for that, either.

RachelSk8er
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
double post oops

RachelSk8er
09-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Here's the dress I just got off Ebay:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/5/3/1/3/2/webimg/153161381_o.jpg

Getting it without the pink on the skirt, though--it will all be solid blue.

Has anyone else bought a dress from this seller? What was the quality of the stones used like? I like the way it's stoned, but I can't decide if I want to have them left off and get my own and do it. I usually get mine from a small local shop and they are very high quality, Swarovski, etc (Carmen, the older gentleman who some of you may have seen selling fabric and stones at many of the Midwest competitions--his shop is 5 min from my house, he and his wife are wonderful).

Scarlett
09-19-2008, 06:54 AM
I've bought from that seller. The stones are very small and not great quality but they suit my purpose. The seller is very quick. You may want to order a size down as the dresses I got were a little big.

RachelSk8er
09-19-2008, 07:16 AM
I've bought from that seller. The stones are very small and not great quality but they suit my purpose. The seller is very quick. You may want to order a size down as the dresses I got were a little big.

Thanks, I will have them left off, then. I think this dress will look better with the crystal ABs rather than the clear crystal anyway.

My other dress is from them and yes, it is a little big, mainly too long in the girth and across the back...plus I've been losing weight, so I am going down a size for this one. Also having her lengthen the skirt 2" (which she did on my last dress)--if I feel it's too long when I get it, I can always shorten it myself.

Stormy
09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Here's the dress I just got off Ebay:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/5/3/1/3/2/webimg/153161381_o.jpg

Getting it without the pink on the skirt, though--it will all be solid blue.

Has anyone else bought a dress from this seller? What was the quality of the stones used like? I like the way it's stoned, but I can't decide if I want to have them left off and get my own and do it. I usually get mine from a small local shop and they are very high quality, Swarovski, etc (Carmen, the older gentleman who some of you may have seen selling fabric and stones at many of the Midwest competitions--his shop is 5 min from my house, he and his wife are wonderful).

That dress suits you to a T! I can't wait to see it!

RachelSk8er
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
That dress suits you to a T! I can't wait to see it!

Thank you :) Remember that brown velvet one I really liked? I was just about to order it when I decided on this one instead for my Zeppelin program for next year. I figure this would be more flattering on me because it would draw the eye up toward my face and elongate my torso, rather than making my shoulders look wider and drawing attention to my waist like the brown one probably would with that cutout across the back/sides.

Speaking of dresses suiting people to a T, I can't wait to see pics of you in a certain beautiful dress!!!!! :D

flo
11-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I just received my second dress from China. The first is a blue velvet and the second aqua net over lycra. I had sleeves added to the aqua dress and it turned out great. Both were sent very quickly and are very well made.

looplover
02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I knew it was risky to buy on eBay at all...but oh my! I received mine today. It's pretty - but - the sequined appliques are falling off in spots...the skirt is so short is doesn't reach the bottom of the panty (!) ... the collar is poorly sewn and gathered. So yeah I can't wear this! Nor would I sell it with the poor workmanship. I just contacted the seller but I don't know what luck I'll have there...

Looks like I'm wearing my black dress again! I do need to retire it. But at least I like it! Doesn't totally fit my music, though...wanted something much lighter for Easterns.

sk8ryellow
02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
My mom bought me a gorgous dress for $100 and it never came. Its ok to buy dresses on Ebay. If you can by from the seller wonderland she is AMAZING! We bought my long program dress for the Gypsey Kings from her and it was gorgous!

flo
02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I've bought dresses from China on ebay. With two of them I have made requests for modifications to the dress and have had wonderful customer service.

looplover
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
My mom bought me a gorgous dress for $100 and it never came. Its ok to buy dresses on Ebay. If you can by from the seller wonderland she is AMAZING! We bought my long program dress for the Gypsey Kings from her and it was gorgous!

You're the second person to tell me that about Wonderland today!

I would still buy dresses this way but not from this particular seller - I could work with the skirt somehow but with the things falling off the dress that's just bad news

cazzie
02-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I haven't tried to return one although strongly considered it with a recent purchase. The pictures showed a lovely floating chiffon skirt which looked a bit longer and the dress that came was quite a short, velvet one - but - thought about all the return postage and gave up on the idea.

phoenix
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
*sigh* Thanks a lot--I looked through Wonderland's store just to see her things & of course found the perfect dress for AN, which I can't have because I can't afford a new dress this year. :cry:

hanca
02-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I have bought a few dresses on ebay from China and did not have any problems. The only times I was not quite happy with the dress was when I asked for long sleeves (to a dress that was originally with short sleeves) and received the dress that was originally on the picture (with short sleeves). I wrote an email to the seller explaining that it is quite cold at our rink and I would freeze wearing short sleeves. They checked my order, sent me email apologising and then sent me another dress (with long sleeves). They did not request the one with short sleeves to be sent back (I wonder whether the price of postage wouldn't be more expensive than the price of another dress).

Give them a chance. Send them email and tell them. I noticed most of the shops from China have a very high level of customers satisfaction (something like 98%) which makes me believe that they would do their best to avoid getting bad report.

flo
02-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi hanca - one of the requests that I made was to add sleeves on a dress.
Next time I'm going to request a longer skirt rather than the typical fs length.

Isk8NYC
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I knew it was risky to buy on eBay at all...but oh my! I received mine today. It's pretty - but - the sequined appliques are falling off in spots...the skirt is so short is doesn't reach the bottom of the panty (!) ... the collar is poorly sewn and gathered. So yeah I can't wear this! Nor would I sell it with the poor workmanship. I just contacted the seller but I don't know what luck I'll have there...

Looks like I'm wearing my black dress again! I do need to retire it. But at least I like it! Doesn't totally fit my music, though...wanted something much lighter for Easterns.
I know a professional seamstress in Raleigh who's retired. If you want, I'll ask her if she could fix it.

Petlover
02-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Last year, I went a bit overboard and bought 4 dresses from Wonderland0559 and the dresses are fantastic and of very high quality - I admit I spoiled myself because I lost 20 pounds. Over the past 12 years I have bought many dresses on ebay and overall have had pretty good luck. I did have a few that were bad, but a lot less than I expected to.

RachelSk8er
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I bought two from China.

The first, they made my requested skirt modifications. The dress was too big (not too big to wear though), but if I want to fix it it's quicker/easier to take it in on the sides myself on my machine than ship it back.

The second I ordered, I got a size smaller. Fits perfect, the skirt is "normal" length--too short really for my preference though, not that it stops me from wearing it. I wish I would have requested a few inches to be added to the skirt but I did not. I'll still wear it, though. I think it just will take some getting used to, as I am more of a synchro skater/dancer and used to long skirts. I'm actually planning on wearing it for compulsory at NYI so y'all will have to let me know what you think :)

No complaints with regard to quality, workmanship, materials. I did ask them to leave their stones off on both dresses because I wanted to do that myself.

Not bad for cheap dresses...I still prefer Del Arbour but for a tighter budget, these do the trick.

looplover
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
I wrote them and they wrote a nice email back - they said they'll either remake the dress or refund my money, so hopefully they will follow through! I'll send it back to them this w/e. I figure they have a team of people making them, and I know it was the winter holidays over there, so they may have rushed it to get it out before Chinese New Year.

I think the dress needs so much work to be ready for easterns that I might as well wear my old - but definitely want to hear more about that seamstress!

hanca
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Hi hanca - one of the requests that I made was to add sleeves on a dress.
Next time I'm going to request a longer skirt rather than the typical fs length.

I have asked them to make made so many changes :lol:

Add the sleevs, make the dress to my exact measurements, make the skirt longer, once even to change the colour... I have been satisfied with their dresses. I like the fact that you can get something on budget and it still looks nice. And if you want to make it better, just add some more stones.

flo
02-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I had sleeves added to this one. They did a nice job. I'm hoping that since many of these dresses are being ordered by adults, there will be more shown with longer skirts.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress_W0QQitemZ180326081750QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4939 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

looplover
02-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Little update - the seller returned my money already and I haven't returned the dress yet - so I'm pretty impressed by that! I will send the dress back to her today.

isakswings
02-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Little update - the seller returned my money already and I haven't returned the dress yet - so I'm pretty impressed by that! I will send the dress back to her today.

That's great! Sorry you don't get to wear your new dress tho! One of the mom's at my daughter's rink ordered a dress from China and had a great experience. It was a beautiful dress! I've considered a dress from China, but I'm scared of getting a dress like you did.

As for the seller "Wonderland", I have to agree with everyone else who said that seller was a good risk. I have seen a couple of their dresses now and they are nice! I'm hoping I can find one from that seller for my daughter's artistic program in June.

skatersmama
02-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Add me to the "wonderland" fan club. I have purchaced a few dresses from her for my daughter. I normally order the make to fit ones. She has also modified the bodice,etc. for me. The workmanship is beautiful.

I have also ordered dresses from china and received exactly what I have asked for/ordered and had no problem.

I will never buy dresses from a catalogue again! (No stores near me)

Skittl1321
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
So glad to hear they refunded you quickly looplover!

These china sellers are quickly blanketing the below juvenile ranks. I think half the kids at Iowa games were in a dress I recognized with ebay. And I was very very happy to see that many of the "sexier" necklines had been modified with age appropriate short or long sleeves for the kids. The dresses all looked very good.

icestalker
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I've been dress-shopping and came upon BEAUTIFUL dresses from eBay. Since I've only heard my music once so far (I'm going to ask for a copy so I can match a dress to it and put it on my MP3), I can't buy a dress just yet, but I've been looking around.
So, has anybody bought a dress from a China seller? The sellers in question are
lucktao2006
and
mlshop789 (it could be either an L or an i, not sure)

and the dresses in question are
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Figure-Skating-Dress-Ice-Skating-Dress-/180518222136?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07b97938#ht_2444wt_704
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lovely-and-Popular-New-Nice-Figure-Ice-Skating-Dress-/120580121275?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1322a2bb#ht_3961wt_930

Is the size chart accurate? I fall right in the middle of Adult Small (except for the hips being an inch or two bigger than my hips) but if the fabric is 4 way stretch, I probably need to get the biggest Child's size because I'm only two or three inches bigger than the Child sizes.

Do the sequins ever fall off?

Is the mesh lined or opaque? (As in, can I put a bra underneath without it showing, or do I need to buy a nude/clear bra?)

Overall quality? It'd be great if somebody has bought one of those exact dresses and could tell me about it.

flo
06-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I've bought from both and have had good luck and service. If you are in doubt about the size, send them your measurements. I have also asked for changes, like a longer skirt, different color and 3/4 sleeves.

RachelSk8er
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I've bought from one (if not both) of them, I think all these people in China work together.

The lycra they use is a tad on the thin side, they line the front of the dresses but the lining itself is also pretty thin. It's not too big of a deal (I'm just used to my regular dressmaker's really nice, thick lycra), but the thinner material is very stretchy so go with the smaller size. My first dress was in my normal size and it's a tad big, the second one I bought is a size smaller and fits perfectly. You'd think buying from China the dresses would run small since their women are smaller, but that's not the case.

The nude material they use is on the light side. I'm not sure what your complexion is, it's fine if you're more fair/pale. It was lighter than what I prefer (I've got about a medium complexion, I guess), but I just darkened it a little by dabbig a wet teabag on it and letting it dry. The first time I wore the one dress (befrore I did this) was for a competition the last weekend of August, I was REALLY tan and it looked awful. They may have a darker mesh they can use if you need them to, just ask. I didn't know the shade of the material when I ordered my first dress (and 2nd dress didn't have any nude mesh).

I asked them to leave the stones off on both dresses I odered. I think their stones are cheap looking and I didn't like the arrangement on the dresses I was odering, so I bought my own and did it myself.

Other than that, the dresses are fine for what you pay for them. The stitching and everything is solid. The fit in the rear end is good, it has enough coverage. They're comfortable, they shipped quickly, and the sellers were very accomodating to requests (they also made skirts on both dresses longer at no extra charge).

Skittl1321
06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
All the girls at the rink where these china ebay dresses. (One even got the dress I'd been eyeing...grr)

I've never heard complaints, and more keep showing up, so the sellers must be doing something right.

icestalker
06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Sounds good.. I also did suspect that all of these people work together, since their dresses/presentation/size charts were all so similar.

I'm still not quite sure about getting the child size. My measurements are
Bust- 33 inch, Waist- 27, Hip- 32 1/2, Girth- 57
and the child's 16 measurements are Bust 29-32, Waist 24-27, Hip 32-35, and Girth 52-56.
So as you can see my waist and hips will still fit, but I'm an inch above Girth/Bust. Bust doesn't particularly concern me since I'm flat-ish for my age anyway and I'd rather that the dress be tight across there so I don't look like a nine year old but Girth does concern me since the last two dresses I grew out of, the girth area was the first area to get too tight. I don't know if I'll hit another growth spurt in the next three months either, but I don't want to wait until the last three weeks to get a dress.

I'll probably email one of the sellers and ask how far, exactly, their fabric stretches but can anyone get out their eBay dress and measure how many inches the maximum stretch is, and if the crotch is made out of the same stretchy material?

The lycra they use is a tad on the thin side, they line the front of the dresses but the lining itself is also pretty thin. It's not too big of a deal (I'm just used to my regular dressmaker's really nice, thick lycra), but the thinner material is very stretchy so go with the smaller size. My first dress was in my normal size and it's a tad big, the second one I bought is a size smaller and fits perfectly. You'd think buying from China the dresses would run small since their women are smaller, but that's not the case.

The nude material they use is on the light side. I'm not sure what your complexion is, it's fine if you're more fair/pale. It was lighter than what I prefer (I've got about a medium complexion, I guess), but I just darkened it a little by dabbig a wet teabag on it and letting it dry. The first time I wore the one dress (befrore I did this) was for a competition the last weekend of August, I was REALLY tan and it looked awful. They may have a darker mesh they can use if you need them to, just ask. I didn't know the shade of the material when I ordered my first dress (and 2nd dress didn't have any nude mesh).

If the lining's too thin for me I'll just wear a white camisole underneath. I do have a fair complexion, but I also tan nicely. I'll just stay out of the sun for the next three months :lol: Since my legs are the first to tan (and they're already tanned), they'll be hidden by two layers of tights, I'll just have to keep my arms and back from tanning.

Oh, and what color/dress style/skirt length makes people look shorter/smaller? I want to make myself as small as possible since my Freeskate 2 competitors are most likely going to be 8 year olds half my size. When I had a Basic Skills comp last year I had to go out with two kids that only came up to my bellybutton, and after watching the tape back, it was very obvious how gangly and ungraceful I looked since I was standing next to little kids. I do feel like it might have hurt my scores. My bright pink hand-me-down dress and sparkly dance tights only accentuated my long legs and long torso- in a bad way.

icestalker
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
The big professional team that makes custom dresses in Beijing, yes, them. Will they change something on the dress if you ask? In my case I want to make half sleeves into 3/4 long sleeves. If they will do this, how do I go about asking them (do I message before auction end or do I just put it in the Paypal note along with my size), and do they charge extra?

Mendi
07-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I am thinking of seeing if they will make a custom dress based of a sketch - not sure if I should be worried about them stealing the design and selling knock-offs on ebay. But I'll be in China this fall, and the excellent exchange rate and less shipping is an attractive option...