View Full Version : Dance dress skirt length

katz in boots
08-05-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm doing ice dance, hoping to test the Elementary dances later this year (if I work really hard and improve enough), and will need a dress when the time comes.

I love making my own skating dresses (which is just as well as I am so fat that there really isn't much choice for off the rack costumes). I figure that a dance dress is pretty much the same as a free skating dress, only with a longer skirt, so I should be okay using one of the patterns I already have.

I plan to make mine shorter and higher at the left hip, curving to lower and longer at the right hip, but with a mesh underskirt to make it the same all the way around, if you can work out what I mean.

But what length should the skirt of a dance dress be? Mid-thigh, or closer to the knee?

Is there anything else I should know about them, like is the skirt pretty much a double circle like a free skating skirt, with a dip in front & back, longer at the back though?

RachelSk8er
08-05-2008, 07:08 AM
My dance/synchro dresses (same thing) range from just past mid thigh to just past knee length (some skirts are asymmetrical, I have one that's mid-thigh in the front but past my knees in the back, a few are the same length all the way around). As far as where they're sewn on, you can seam it on just like a normal skating dress or, depending on the style of the body, you can play around with that. I have two that are designed to look more like cocktail/party dresses, with a skirt that starts just below the bust and is very fitted through the body and then flairs out at the hips.

Avoid any heavy fabrics for the skirt. Velvet can be way too heavy to haul around and just looks heavy, skirts that flow on dance dresses are always much more flattering--power meshes, glisenettes, chiffon. The lycra with mesh over it look is very in right now.

A lot of skaters are actually finding cheap cocktail dresses at the department stores, etc since lycra and other stretchy materials with short meshy and tulle skirts are so in right now, and just wearing those with a bodysuit, usually with clear straps, underneath. Some of them even come in sparkly materials with little embellishments (beading, rhinestones) already on them. You'd never guess that they were not made to be skating dresses. One of my synchro dresses was actually designed after a cocktail dress we liked at Macy's, and the next year when I wore it to compete dance, someone in my group was wearing the actual dress. Other than the fact that mine had a nude mesh insert in the front so it didn't feel as low cut as it looked and mine had rhinestones on it, they were basically the same (and I guarantee she didn't spend $300 on hers). That's always a cheap alternative.

Skittl1321
08-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Is there anything else I should know about them, like is the skirt pretty much a double circle like a free skating skirt, with a dip in front & back, longer at the back though?

The Jalie pattern that I have that has a dance skirt option essentially has the exact same pattern for a freestyle skirt as the dance skirt- just two circles joined together. The only difference is the length of the radius of the circles. (Though this would obviously not be asymetrical, like you are wanting)

Mrs Redboots
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I prefer the shorter skirt, both to skate in and as a look. But that is just my opinion.

sk8lady
08-05-2008, 05:50 PM
My two favorite dance dresses are about knee length in the front, mid-calf in the back, double layer chiffon skirts.
Try Jalie or ballroom dance patterns (you can find some on ebay), switching out a leotard bottom for the body of the dress. Or make a matching panty.

katz in boots
08-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Avoid any heavy fabrics for the skirt. Velvet can be way too heavy to haul around and just looks heavy, skirts that flow on dance dresses are always much more flattering--power meshes, glisenettes, chiffon. The lycra with mesh over it look is very in right now.

Waaah! I am in love with glitter velvet at the moment! And the one I was hoping to use is a heavier weight, cotton based velvet. Maybe I need to think again....

Skittl1321
08-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Waaah! I am in love with glitter velvet at the moment! And the one I was hoping to use is a heavier weight, cotton based velvet. Maybe I need to think again....

Why not use that fabric for the bodice and a matching chiffon for the skirt?

katz in boots
08-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Why not use that fabric for the bodice and a matching chiffon for the skirt?

Well, yes, I could. I do have a lighter weight glitter velvet that might be suitable though.

luna_skater
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, yes, I could. I do have a lighter weight glitter velvet that might be suitable though.

I have to chime in with my vote against velvet skirts as well. A heavy material will make you look sloooow, which is the absolute last thing you want in skating, ever. You want a material and cut that moves nicely with you, isn't distracting, and enhances your skating as opposed to hindering it. Layered Chiffon is usually a safe bet.

katz in boots
08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
:giveup: Ok, I get the message, velvet is a bad idea, chiffon or similar is better.

Any suggestions then, for a pear-shaped, overweight lady, in terms of style and skirt length? I need to emphasise my upper half rather than my heavy hips & thighs.

Skittl1321
08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
:giveup: Ok, I get the message, velvet is a bad idea, chiffon or similar is better.

Any suggestions then, for a pear-shaped, overweight lady, in terms of style and skirt length? I need to emphasise my upper half rather than my heavy hips & thighs.

A good place to get ideas would be to google/youtube and look at adult synchro costumes- since they are often dance length, and you could see what they look like on a variety of adult bodies. (Browsing dance costumes you'd just usually see one person in them)

Mainemom
08-15-2008, 01:04 PM
A lot of skaters are actually finding cheap cocktail dresses at the department stores, etc since lycra and other stretchy materials with short meshy and tulle skirts are so in right now, and just wearing those with a bodysuit, usually with clear straps, underneath. Some of them even come in sparkly materials with little embellishments (beading, rhinestones) already on them. You'd never guess that they were not made to be skating dresses.

We picked up two dance dresses for DD at a end-of-season prom dress sale that are perfect for ice dance and paid $25 for both of them. She has to wear spankies under them to be sure that there is no underwear sighting, but they flow very gracefully. One is very plain, with just a bit of bugle beading across the bodice, but the other is covered in small crystals that twinkle beautifully (but tactfully) under the lights. Can't beat the price and they always have plus sizes, too.

techskater
08-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I am not a small woman, and my absolute facorite dress of all times that has been retired (versus my current dress which is my absolute favorite) that my dress maker made (aka coach extraordinaire) is made of gltter velvet, which includes the skirt. Not dance length, but a little longer than a typical FS skirt that was assymetrically cut with slits on either side. The velvet flips up if it's cut properly as you skate and you actually look fast. I will find a picture of me in the dress and PM you with it...

RachelSk8er
08-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I am not a small woman, and my absolute facorite dress of all times that has been retired (versus my current dress which is my absolute favorite) that my dress maker made (aka coach extraordinaire) is made of gltter velvet, which includes the skirt. Not dance length, but a little longer than a typical FS skirt that was assymetrically cut with slits on either side. The velvet flips up if it's cut properly as you skate and you actually look fast. I will find a picture of me in the dress and PM you with it...

It really depends on the length and cut of the skirt though. I remember seeing a few adult open and masters teams at synchro competitions who had dance length velvet skirts--mid thigh to knee length in the front and knee length or an inch or two below in the back, and all it did was make them look even slower than they already were. And all that velvet on a long skirt is a lot to haul around and can feel like it's slowing you down, particularly on more intricate footwork.

jenlyon60
08-16-2008, 06:33 AM
It also depends on how much fullness the velvet skirt has. I've seen quite straight asymmetric velvet skirts that worked very well. They had enough fullness to allow movement yet at the same time, the weight of the velvet kept the line of the skirt as desired.