View Full Version : Question re: skating basic skills and taking moves test

AshBugg44
08-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I remember a competition announcement stating that a skater cannot skate basic skills if they have taken any USFS tests. However, some other competitions do not state this. Is there an official policy on this?

twokidsskatemom
08-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I remember a competition announcement stating that a skater cannot skate basic skills if they have taken any USFS tests. However, some other competitions do not state this. Is there an official policy on this?

I would guess its up to each comp.You also can run a basic skills comp that includes prelim and below.We just did in June.
You couldnt have a skater that took moves and fs pre pre to be in freeskate 6 under basic skills but you could have a skater that took pre pre moves in fs skate 6 or non test.

jskater49
08-04-2008, 05:29 AM
According to the 08-09 Basic Skills Competition Manual from USFS --which you must use to get your Basic Skills Competition sanctioned and/or approved - this is for ALL Basic Skills comps and is not up to the people putting on the comp:

Eligibility will be based on skill level as of closing date of entries. All SNOWPLOW SAM and BASIC SKILLS SKATERS THROUGH BASIC 8 must skate at highest level passed and NO official U.S. Figure Skating tests may have been passed including MIF or individual dances

For the Free skate 1-6, Test Track and Well Balanced levels, eligibility will be based only upon highest free skate test level passed (moves in the field test level will not determine skater’s competitive level). Skaters may skate at highest level passed OR one level higher BUT not both levels in the same event during the same competition.

AshBugg44
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for that!

Someone told me today that USFS said they consider basic skills free skate levels and non test the same, so a freeskate level skater can skate up to pre-pre during competitions. I just always assumed they could only skate up to non test. Does anyone know? Seems weird that a skater could skate (and I've seen it) basic skills free skate, non test, and pre-pre at the same competition - i.e free skate 4 technical, non test show case, pre-pre spins.

jskater49
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for that!

Someone told me today that USFS said they consider basic skills free skate levels and non test the same, so a freeskate level skater can skate up to pre-pre during competitions. I just always assumed they could only skate up to non test. Does anyone know? Seems weird that a skater could skate (and I've seen it) basic skills free skate, non test, and pre-pre at the same competition - i.e free skate 4 technical, non test show case, pre-pre spins.

At a Basic Skills competition you can have events up to preliminary. However, for the Basic 8 competition, you cannot have taken any USFS tests and you cannot have passed any higher than Basic 8.

Some competitions have beginner levels, some call it no-test - I see in the new required element charts, they call it no test- but it is still beginner in the test track. Most non-qualifying competitions do let you compete one level higher than you have tested. Some competitions will let you mix it up so you can compete preliminary compulsary and pre-pre Freeskate. But I don't know any competition that would let you skate a no-test and pre-pre freeskate in the same competition.

j

AshBugg44
08-05-2008, 08:25 PM
What I'm referring to is a skater who competes Freeskate 4 for her technical, but skates up to non-test and pre-preliminary for other events, such as showcase, spins, etc.

The competition this skater is scheduled to do called to say that a basic skills skater cannot skate up to pre-preliminary because that's skating up two levels. However, supposedly USFS considers basic skills and non-test to be the same so any basic skills free skate level skater can skate up to pre-pre at competitions.

jskater49
08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
What I'm referring to is a skater who competes Freeskate 4 for her technical, but skates up to non-test and pre-preliminary for other events, such as showcase, spins, etc.

The competition this skater is scheduled to do called to say that a basic skills skater cannot skate up to pre-preliminary because that's skating up two levels. However, supposedly USFS considers basic skills and non-test to be the same so any basic skills free skate level skater can skate up to pre-pre at competitions.

Technically basic skills and no test is not the same. No test means you have not tested free skate. You can have tested moves or dance to skate in no test- just not free skate. For basic skills, you cannot have passed ANY usfs tests.

I'm still not completely sure what the problem is. YOu have a skater who is in basic skills who wants to compete at pre-pre but they won't let her? Frankly, I don't think someone who is still in basic skills would want to compete at pre-pre. Pre-pre is pretty tough these days. People hang out in that level for YEARS....

j

AshBugg44
08-05-2008, 09:12 PM
It's not my skater, no, I'm just trying to clear up the rules for a friend's sake. CAN a skater skating at basic skills freeskate 4 skate up to pre-pre?

twokidsskatemom
08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
It's not my skater, no, I'm just trying to clear up the rules for a friend's sake. CAN a skater skating at basic skills freeskate 4 skate up to pre-pre?
I would say not since that is two levels, if you consider non test a level.. Why dont you email USFSA and ask? Let us know what they say.

jskater49
08-06-2008, 06:33 AM
I would say not since that is two levels, if you consider non test a level.. Why dont you email USFSA and ask? Let us know what they say.

That would be the decision of the people running the local competition. At non-qualifying competitions, nobody asks to see your paperwork...so if she wants to sign up at pre-pre, I don't see anybody stopping her.

j

Skittl1321
08-06-2008, 06:52 AM

But a skater in FS4 is in the no-test level, so pre-pre is only one level up from that.

I can see why she can't do both at the same competition- but pre-pre isn't two levels up, because any kid in FS is also no-test.

I kind of agree with the why would she want to skate pre-pre sentiment. However, the girl in FS4 in my group class (I'm FS3, but also Pre-Bronze, so I can't compete in a FS level due to tests) has an inconsistent axel and double sal but she doesn't have any tests. I don't think she'd compete in FS4, probably no-test, but on a good day with those jumps I could see why she might want to do pre-pre. She's only in FS4 because she hasn't tested through all the footwork portions yet.

twokidsskatemom
08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
But a skater in FS4 is in the no-test level, so pre-pre is only one level up from that.

I can see why she can't do both at the same competition- but pre-pre isn't two levels up, because any kid in FS is also no-test.

I kind of agree with the why would she want to skate pre-pre sentiment. However, the girl in FS4 in my group class (I'm FS3, but also Pre-Bronze, so I can't compete in a FS level due to tests) has an inconsistent axel and double sal but she doesn't have any tests. I don't think she'd compete in FS4, probably no-test, but on a good day with those jumps I could see why she might want to do pre-pre. She's only in FS4 because she hasn't tested through all the footwork portions yet.
I wouldnt think fs 4 is non test, non test is non test. It at least here is where you compete when you are out of fs 6 but havent tested yet.Fs 4 has elements that need to be done, non test here is anything but axle.

Clarice
08-06-2008, 12:09 PM
This whole argument involves things that are decided at the local level. You need to check each competition announcement to see what they mean by No Test, Limited Beginner, or Beginner levels. When in doubt, call the local organizing committee and have them check with the referee, whose word will be final.

jskater49
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I wouldnt think fs 4 is non test, non test is non test. It at least here is where you compete when you are out of fs 6 but havent tested yet.Fs 4 has elements that need to be done, non test here is anything but axle.

The USFS definition of "no test" is not "anything but an axel". It is no USFS free tests passed.

On the competition announcement should be a name that you can call or email to clarify. But if the skater's coach is willing to sign off, nobody is going to ask to see her Learn to Skate patch to verify whether or not she is FS 4 or 6. :roll:

Skittl1321
08-06-2008, 12:17 PM

But any skater who is in FS4 could also choose to just be no test, If they do not have any tests yet. Then they would skate a no-test program, obviously if they choose FS4 they have to do those elements.

In our area it is not common for skaters to do the freeskate skills levels- so a no test skater is as likely to be at the same level as a FS1-6 skater as they are to be above those level- skaters just go straight to privates, and most students in the freeskate levels are only there because their private coach is the group instructor and it saves money.

However, refering to the original poster, it is true that you cannot skate in a freeskate level if you have passed a USFSA free test. So my PB Free test disqualifies me from competing in a basic skills competition that includes freeskate levels. I was really disappointed to learn this at our local competition because to enter as PB was MUCH more expensive then to enter as FS3, and although I think the FS3 level is more difficult to pass than the PB test, entering a competition as PB would put me against skaters who are much better than I am- essentially bronze level who hadn't tested yet, so instead I elected to compete ISI.

twokidsskatemom
08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
The USFS definition of "no test" is not "anything but an axel". It is no USFS free tests passed.

On the competition announcement should be a name that you can call or email to clarify. But if the skater's coach is willing to sign off, nobody is going to ask to see her Learn to Skate patch to verify whether or not she is FS 4 or 6. :roll:

Then I guess the announcement I am reading is wrong,Our comp in two weeks states..
Non test, can taken moves tests but not fs test. All single jumps, flying spins, no axel.Rulebook 3721
I would still say if they offer fs 4, fs 5 and fs 6 that non test /pre pre is up two levels but what do I know. I would still suggest asking USFSA and let us know.It think its more a regional issue.
As a test chair, I would question someone doing a fs program in fs 4, non test showcase and pre pre spins.
Good luck to your friends skater !

jskater49
08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Then I guess the announcement I am reading is wrong,Our comp in two weeks states..
Non test, can taken moves tests but not fs test. All single jumps, flying spins, no axel.Rulebook 3721
I would still say if they offer fs 4, fs 5 and fs 6 that non test /pre pre is up two levels but what do I know. I would still suggest asking USFSA and let us know.It think its more a regional issue.
As a test chair, I would question someone doing a fs program in fs 4, non test showcase and pre pre spins.
Good luck to your friends skater !

If you call USFS they will tell you to call the people organizing the competition.

The test chair has nothing to do with it.

j

twokidsskatemom
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
If you call USFS they will tell you to call the people organizing the competition.

The test chair has nothing to do with it.

j
Think that is what I said in my first post.
In my area the test chair is the same as people doing the comp.Its not a different person.The LOC is the test chair.Sorry if I said test chair and not comp chair. ok, so ask the comp chair. We runs ours together, tests and comps.
Like I said a regional issue.
:giveup: