View Full Version : Alissa & Amber Czisny Seminar for Adults

nja
08-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I have been asked to spread the word about a special seminar that Alissa and Amber will be holding on August 23 at the Detroit Skating Club. The seminar will run from noon to 4 pm with the opportunity for additional private lesson time afterwards. The seminar will cover off ice stretching/warm up, spins and footwork and is open to adults 18 and over who have passed a minimum of the preliminary adult free skating test. If anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me off list and I will send you the pdf file.

Debbie S
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Darn, if only I lived closer to the Detroit area! :( It sounds like a great seminar - if you go, be sure to give us a report. :)

open to adults 18 and over who have passed a minimum of the preliminary adult free skating test. You might want to clarify whether this means the Pre-Bronze FS test or Bronze FS (equiv to Prelim FS) test.

LilJen
08-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Ditto that clarification is needed. The PDF says "adult preliminary"--those exact words. I would assume bronze because it's roughly equivalent to the standard-track preliminary level?

jskater49
08-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Would be nice if the people putting on an event for adults knew the proper termnology for adult levels :??

j

Mel On Ice
08-02-2008, 09:49 PM
how much will this cost?

nja
08-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I have sent a note to the person who forwarded me the information on this seminar asking for a clarification on the skating level. The description of the elements to be covered is:

Spins:
Centering
Scratch spin, fast, faster!
Sit & Camel spin variations
Perfecting the Layback

Footwork:
Two foot turns
One foot turns
Putting them together
Adding your style

Mel, the cost for the 4 hours of ice and the group seminars is $80. Private lessions would be extra

Skittl1321
08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Sounds neat, and fairly affordable- I'd love to work spins with Alissa Czisny. (Good for her to know her strengths and not include jumps in this)

Sadly, I don't live near detroit, nor do I have my Bronze test.

jskater49
08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Sounds neat, and fairly affordable- I'd love to work spins with Alissa Czisny. (Good for her to know her strengths and not include jumps in this)

Sadly, I don't live near detroit, nor do I have my Bronze test.

Actually, just because she can't land jumps in competition, doesn't mean she couldn't teach them well. Also too bad they can't just spell out what they will be working on and let adults figure out for themselves whether they would be able to get something out of it, rather than specificy a test level.

j

Skittl1321
08-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Actually, just because she can't land jumps in competition, doesn't mean she couldn't teach them well. Also too bad they can't just spell out what they will be working on and let adults figure out for themselves whether they would be able to get something out of it, rather than specificy a test level.

j

Yes, I know that's true- a good skater doesn't mean a good coach, and a good coach does not mean a good skater. However, since neither of the Czisny's are listed on the DSC website as coaches (or does she not train there full time?), I'm assuming that the main draw of this workshop is more her celebrity than her coaching reknown, if I were to spend a day working with her, I'd want to see her demonstrate spins! Though it would not suprise me if either of them have full time students- especially Amber. Is she still ice dancing even?

And I agree- all the things they have listed are things I'm working on, but I don't have the "preliminary" test. Because I cannot seriously work on a sit spin due to doctors orders, I probably won't ever get it.

doubletoe
08-03-2008, 11:48 PM

ROFL! :lol: I'm sure her singles and doubles are more pristine than anything we will land in our lifetimes! And the best coaches are those who have struggled with an element, IMO. ;)

Skittl1321
08-04-2008, 06:10 AM
ROFL! :lol: I'm sure her singles and doubles are more pristine than anything we will land in our lifetimes! And the best coaches are those who have struggled with an element, IMO. ;)

Her triples are better than anything I'll ever have- landed or not! I barely leave the ice! Alissa is my favorite current skater, I wasn't meaning to knock her at all. I'm sure she can land them all in practice, and beautifully. I just wish she could hold it together in competition! Knowing how hard she's worked for them, means she probably knows exactly how to coach the jump- she's probably heard it all a million times- she just can't control her nerves.

(And if we get clarification that PB skater are welcome, it might be worth the 7 hour drive... if I get my spins back sometimes soon, ah new blades)

nja
08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
My contact said they should be getting this seminar posted on the DSC website soon. He said that they are looking for people who have passed the minimum of the Pre-bronze freestyle test. You would need to follow up with the organizers at DSC if you have questions about your test/ability levels and how they would fit with this seminar.

Unfortunately I won't be attending as I already have other plans that weekend and live a little too far away. Good luck to anyone who plans on attending!

Mel On Ice
08-04-2008, 09:39 AM
I love this idea, I just need to justify the extra skating expense for this. It's a clever idea by the girls to test the coaching waters, raise a little extra capital to cover their training expenses and BRAVO! to them for acknowledging and honoring ADULTS by offering this to us.

I think there may be a WMAS entourage road tripping to DSC in the near future.

LilJen
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Wondering if I should skip the spinning session? My spins are just laughable, nearly nonexistent, and no way am I anywhere near a sit or camel--it's all I can do to eke out a few revs upright!! Or, maybe I should schedule 15 mins with Alyssa privately (precisely because my spins are dreadful, and hers obviously do NOT!), if only to commisserate on the inconveniences of being a CW skater!

doubletoe
08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Her triples are better than anything I'll ever have- landed or not! I barely leave the ice! Alissa is my favorite current skater, I wasn't meaning to knock her at all. I'm sure she can land them all in practice, and beautifully. I just wish she could hold it together in competition! Knowing how hard she's worked for them, means she probably knows exactly how to coach the jump- she's probably heard it all a million times- she just can't control her nerves.

(And if we get clarification that PB skater are welcome, it might be worth the 7 hour drive... if I get my spins back sometimes soon, ah new blades)

I know what you mean. However, I'm hopeful about her this season, based on her LP at the Liberty competition a few weeks ago (it's up on YouTube). She messed up on the 3F, but her triple lutzes were just amazing, and off a serious outside edge! So I'm thinking she may also be done fixing her flip by the time she needs to qualify for Nationals! :D

skaternum
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Maybe the summer heat is making me cranky, but I don't share the sentiment about being honored by this seminar. The organizers didn't even bother to state the test requirements or skills to be covered in ADULT terms. Pfffft.

Skittl1321
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't say "honored" but I think it's pretty incredible that they are willing to do this for adults. Most places act as though adult skaters don't exist, and if they do exist- they'll fit you into the kids seminar which usually won't meet your needs. I think it's really awesome that they are doing a seminar for adults, though I agree it would have been nice to put it in adult terms.

(Though I find that even the coaches I work regularly with don't always know the adult terms - I make my primary coach a cheat sheet on what's on my test- and she certainly knows the moves, just not how they've been organized for adults)

FSWer
08-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Awwwwwww,so that's what the twinsies are doing these days. LOL. I know Amber retired but there hasn't been much news to follow on Alyssa's skating. Anyone know what she plans for this season? Or did she retire too and miss it? BTW. it sounds like there becoming very big girls. How old are they?

FigureSk8Dad
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I know Amber retired but there hasn't been much news to follow on Alyssa's skating. Anyone know what she plans for this season? Or did she retire too and miss it?

According to the USFS website Alissa "Czisny Wins Senior Ladies Title at U.S. Collegiate Championships" (http://www.usfsa.org/)

Mel On Ice
08-10-2008, 08:40 PM
hey, I train with a couple of those senior lady competitors, they didn't say anything about this!

I'm opting not to go to this. I'm a few weeks out from competing in Chicago and need that time to train.

Skittl1321
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
The announcement is up on the detroit skating club website now. It states must have passed Pre-Bronze free, so they did get that term correct. I still want to go so badly! :(

The article on ice network says that Alissa is graduating from Bowling Green this year. I wonder if this is a way to transition into coaching, or if she'll keep up the skating after college.