View Full Version : Tell the story of how you became a competitor.

FSWer
07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok skaters!!! I've asked you about your story on how you became a skater...Now it's time to tell me the story of how you became a competitor. Please include your Discipline.

Rusty Blades
08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I started to skate in January 2006 at the ripe old age of 56. Initially the idea was for exercise and recreation. When first started thinking about it, I went online to get information about boots and blades and discovered there were other adults skating, among them a group of Canadian adult competitors. They tried to talk me into going to Nationals - which is an Open competition up here (so far) - and I said "But I am just a beginner and can hardly stand up!" They said it didn't matter, to come anyway, so I started working toward an Interpretive number for the following year. It is easier for me to remain committed if I have a goal to work toward so I busted my britches for 14 months and went to the Canadian Adult Nationals in March 2007.

I had skated a bit in my teens but wasn't good enough and didn't have the resources to "go anywhere" so being at Nationals was like fulfilling a childhood dream and the crowd was SOOOOO supportive and encouraging that I really got hooked. In April this year I was back again with a Bronze Free and another Interpretive.

Since I switched to a 'competitive training centre' over a year ago, I have really come to enjoy sharing the ice with the young competitive skaters - the atmosphere is much different, more focused, and (I think) more supportive - everybody is there for the same reason.

I am pleased that since I have become involved in adult skating here our contingent to C.A.N. has doubled from last year and we brought home 8 medals from Nationals this year.

Since there are skaters at C.A.N. in their 70's and 80's, I hope to keep competing until they take the blades off my walker! :mrgreen:

sk8lady
08-01-2008, 08:09 PM
When I went to my first competition, I had a coach who had never heard of the adult track. She didn't want to travel to competitions so she told me to take care of it and enjoy--so I entered in one pre-pre event and one adult event. It was in the Boston area so imagine my surprise when they called the event and ALL the other entrants were younger than my 9-year old son--not to mention they had all their jumps up to the axel and spins through the layback! I think I had two consistent jumps and two spins. When they called the event I went over to the group and the ice monitor looked at me and then past me and said, "Now, where is sk8lady?" to which I said, being the tallest person there at 5'1, "Embarrassingly, [I]I am sk8lady." She totally had no sense of humor and just checked me off!
That was the last time I ever entered a non-dance event that wasn't an adult event!