View Full Version : double toe?

*JennaD*
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey everyone...so lately I have been having issues with my double toe!!! It's gotten a lot better since I first started working on it...I no longer fall on my elbows...lol but I still can't seem to really get the feel for the jump..

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this jump?

There are a couple of my double toes in this video...right after the um...interesting double loop at the beginning lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3y9IZkmPOw

doubletoe
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
The last attempt was definitely the closest, and I noticed that was the attempt where you were the least pitched forward on the takeoff edge. In order to achieve the pick & pull back, you need to almost lean back on the way into the jump. To keep from getting pitched forward, try pulling your shoulders back and keeping your front arm high and checked in front of you as you enter and exit the 3-turn. :)

ibreakhearts66
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I created this (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=25227) thread a while back. I've said this many times, but double toes were such a difficult jump for me. I learned it as a toe-axel. Then I went to a seminar and found out I was doing it wrong and had to learn a whole new technique. It took years to fix. But, I DID finally fix it :D

jazzpants
07-31-2008, 02:22 PM
I learned it as a toe-axel. Then I went to a seminar and found out I was doing it wrong and had to learn a whole new technique. It took years to fix. But, I DID finally fix it :DAnd some of us are now undoing the toe-waltz thing NOW and relearning toe loops from scratch so we don't end up with toe axels later on!!! :P (Mine are inconsistent. At slower speed, if it's a standalone toe loop jump and if I'm thinking about it, it's a toe loop! At faster speeds, if it's tacked on at the end of a long jump combination and if I'm freaking about the other jumps in the combination and not thinking about it, it's a TOE WALTZ!!! :evil:

So I'm fixing that now... :frus:

2loop2loop
07-31-2008, 04:14 PM
I had the exact same problem you are having for so long. ibreakhearts is right. Look at where your non-picking foot comes off the ice, it needs to draw in and past the picking foot before stepping up into the jump. I did what you are doing, and I spent years doing it wrong, never knowing if I would land or fall (I usually fell!), now things are much more under control (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VixDNL_EmVY), although I could probably do the draw through even more than I am in this video.

patatty
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I created this (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=25227) thread a while back. I've said this many times, but double toes were such a difficult jump for me. I learned it as a toe-axel. Then I went to a seminar and found out I was doing it wrong and had to learn a whole new technique. It took years to fix. But, I DID finally fix it :D

This is what they were teaching us at the Hackensack camp in June. I didn't get it then, but after seeing your chart, now I understand - I tried some today, and boy did they feel different. In Hackensack, he talked about doing a kind of outside pivot before picking. I now know that I probably spent the last few years doing toe-waltzes and now toe-axels. I'm still too chicken to really pull in for a double doing it this way, but it's so much easier to get my legs crossed, so there's hope for me yet.

*JennaD*
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
This is what they were teaching us at the Hackensack camp in June. I didn't get it then, but after seeing your chart, now I understand - I tried some today, and boy did they feel different. In Hackensack, he talked about doing a kind of outside pivot before picking. I now know that I probably spent the last few years doing toe-waltzes and now toe-axels. I'm still too chicken to really pull in for a double doing it this way, but it's so much easier to get my legs crossed, so there's hope for me yet.

Wow I wish I had read the bit about the pivot before skating today...because that makes a lot of sense to me!!! I was working on making the motion more continuous like ibreakhearts said and I think that my double toe did get more like a double toe today and less like a toe-axel, but I am curious to know what it would have been like if I had thought about doing a pivot!!! lol oh well, when I get back o nthe ice in the fall, I wil ldefinitely keep that in mind ;)

ibreakhearts66
08-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Yeah they do feel way different at first. However, I don't think I could do a toe-axel if tried now. Back pivots are good exercises and so are mazurkas.

kander
08-02-2008, 12:28 AM
The thing I notice right away is how bent over at the waist you are when you take off. You're also too far around with your upper body when you start to leave the ice. Getting ahead of yourself makes rotation very difficult to impossible

Kevin