View Full Version : Passed my preliminary moves and fs!

ibreakhearts66
07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
I decided to make a new thread since this test was such a pain in my a**

Anyways, I passed! With flying colors too. One of my judges is notorious for never passing anyone on their moves. She was ther harshest, but she still gave me a 12.6 (12.5 is passing). The second judge gave me a 12.8 and the third a 13.2! I was so so so nervous, but I really think I skated well.

The freeskate was OK. All of my elements were fine. They all liked my spins. The strict judge said my footwork needed work and I definitely agree. My footwork was sloppy (its the first thing I mess up when I'm nervous).

But yeah! On to pre-juv. And juv. And intermediate. And novie, junior, senior...but I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

Skittl1321
07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Congratulations!

Debbie S
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Congratulations!! :bow:

I'm considering going back and testing standard track MIF (I just passed Adult Silver), at least Pre-Prelim and Prelim. Last night, I tried the Prelim spirals - that move is a lot harder than it looks!

twokidsskatemom
07-30-2008, 04:30 PM
:bow:good job !!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

jskater49
07-30-2008, 04:32 PM
congratulations!!!

sk8lady
07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Congratulations!

doubletoe
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
YAY!!! Got that little mental block out of the way! LOL! Now for some smooth sailing! :D

ibreakhearts66
07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Congratulations!! :bow:

I'm considering going back and testing standard track MIF (I just passed Adult Silver), at least Pre-Prelim and Prelim. Last night, I tried the Prelim spirals - that move is a lot harder than it looks!

Those prelim spirals were the bane of my of my existence for a while. I practiced and practiced and practiced and this time they were one of my best moves.

sk8tegirl06
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Any tips for the alternating 3s? Most of the rest of my moves are pretty good, not passable yet. But the %#$ alternating 3s are near impossible for me. I can do 3 turns fine as a solo move, but going from inside to outside or outside to inside doesn't work for me yet. Ideally I would like to test at the end of October, but that may be pushed back.

jskater49
07-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Any tips for the alternating 3s? Most of the rest of my moves are pretty good, not passable yet. But the %#$ alternating 3s are near impossible for me. I can do 3 turns fine as a solo move, but going from inside to outside or outside to inside doesn't work for me yet. Ideally I would like to test at the end of October, but that may be pushed back.

At one time, many moons ago, alternating 3s were on the Adult pre-bronze moves. That is why I hurried up and tested my bre-bronze free before you had to take moves so I could be grandfathered up.

But now I am going to tackle them again for the prelim moves.

j

Kim to the Max
07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
I decided to make a new thread since this test was such a pain in my a**

Anyways, I passed! With flying colors too. One of my judges is notorious for never passing anyone on their moves. She was ther harshest, but she still gave me a 12.6 (12.5 is passing). The second judge gave me a 12.8 and the third a 13.2! I was so so so nervous, but I really think I skated well.

The freeskate was OK. All of my elements were fine. They all liked my spins. The strict judge said my footwork needed work and I definitely agree. My footwork was sloppy (its the first thing I mess up when I'm nervous).

But yeah! On to pre-juv. And juv. And intermediate. And novie, junior, senior...but I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

Congrats!!!

Have fun with pre-juv :) Those can be a sticking point for some folks...but I am sure you will be fine, just work hard and make sure to take some lessons on these :)

TiggerTooSkates
07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
YAY!!!! :bow::bow::bow::yum::P8-)

I'm very proud of you - but most importantly, be proud of yourself - and I know you are!!!

jcookie1982
07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
CONGRATS!!!!

ibreakhearts66
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Congrats!!!

Have fun with pre-juv :) Those can be a sticking point for some folks...but I am sure you will be fine, just work hard and make sure to take some lessons on these :)

Had my first lesson today :D I've made a TON of progress on them already. My biggest problem is powerpulls--I have terrible knee timing. But I made drastic improvements in like 5 minutes. I really, really, REALLY like this coach. She's really good at identifying and fixing problems. She also has TONS of exercises for everything. She is also really good at describing things.

She told me I actually DO have nice soft knees (when I remember that knees are supposed to bend...) and that she thinks I have perfect flow for ice dancing.

ibreakhearts66
07-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Oh I feel ya. Those 3s drove me to tears at one point. I thought I would NEVER get them. I actually got above-average marks on them this time :) My problem was also the step from backwards to forwards. Two pieces of advice. First of all, make sure you turn on time. If you turn too late, it's REALLY hard get control over your body to step. Secondly, after you turn, make sure to really open up your body from the hips up. Actually, three pieces of advice. I don't know what you do with your free leg after you turn, but I, personally, extend it back. If you also extend it back, make sure to bring it back underneath you before you step.

Debbie S
07-30-2008, 10:43 PM
And make sure to pass your arms close to your sides, just like on the consecutive edges in Pre-Prelim. When I was working on the alt 3's for Pre-Bronze (yep, I'm one of those that took the older Pre-Bronze test ;) ), I tended to move my arms around wide, and that would throw me off. If you keep control of your upper body, that helps with the check of each turn, which helps you stay on the right edge and balanced over your skate.

coskater64
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Congrats on passing!!:D:D:D:D

Mrs Redboots
07-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Congratulations!

Thin-Ice
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now it's on to Pre-Juve and ALL those 3-turns!