View Full Version : tips for a new coach?

ibreakhearts66
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys had some words of wisdom for me. I'm getting nervous about starting to coach. I know I'm capable and everything, but I still can't help but be nervous. So, any valuable insights that I might completely miss as a competitive skater?

slusher
07-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Be consistent.

Be truthful.

Enjoy what you are doing.

Keep your personal life out of your business and your business out of your personal life. Don't have your boyfriend hang around the rink, don't tell parents that you can't coach because of having to attend a personal function because that will just come back to haunt you. If you're not available you're not available. Don't get too involved in your student's personal lives either, as to the point that you're doing their homework -True story. If you tell your husband you will be home at 9pm and you stay at the rink to chat or get sidetracked for an hour, then be home at 9p)

Set your rates high to start, it is very difficult to raise rates. I don't mean super high but know your market and even though you're new, know what you're worth.

The best piece of advice I got and I thought he was a crazy old coach but he was right: Do nothing for free. You might be tempted as a new coach to give that little extra lesson, or do 30 and charge for 15 minutes because you don't have anyone for the other 15. It is impossible to stop doing that and parents will tell others of their freebies thus making it never ending.

Keep out of students financial difficulties, keep proper records and declare all your income. Don't take cash payments although it is so tempting. You are a professional coach (which is what my other mentor repeated constantly).

Tell your parents what you like in your coffee often. Eventually one will show up in your hand without asking.

JazzySkate
07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Good ideas from Slusher.

I'll just add: look as though you really enjoy teaching, i.e. if you're still nervous, take a deep breath, then smile, inject enthusiasm, be energetic, praise your student "for a job well done" (even give them a hi-five at the end of the lesson). When I started teaching Groups I was nervous, (especially with Tots) but with time, got over it. Good Luck! You'll be fine : )

AshBugg44
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Don't take cash payments although it is so tempting.

I disagree. I take cash payments from many of my parents. I don't know a SINGLE coach who does not take cash payments - everyone I know accepts cash or check, however the parent prefers to pay.

twokidsskatemom
07-31-2008, 02:09 AM
I disagree. I take cash payments from many of my parents. I don't know a SINGLE coach who does not take cash payments - everyone I know accepts cash or check, however the parent prefers to pay.
We always pay in cash.Then I dont need to worry about the check not clearing:P.

Mrs Redboots
07-31-2008, 04:50 AM
We always pay in cash.Then I dont need to worry about the check not clearing:P.
And if you are worried about accounts, then always issue a receipt for a cash payment (or ask for one, if you are the one paying).

slusher
07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
And if you are worried about accounts, then always issue a receipt for a cash payment (or ask for one, if you are the one paying).

Yes, do receipts. The reason I said not to do cash, and I always used to pay my coach in cash was that twice there was a disagreement about how much was received and I had no way to prove it.

And obviously cash payments under the table are a magnet for the tax collectors. Because of being self employed in various things I have been audited twice, and see, if you claim mileage to go to your location to earn income, but then don't have proof of actually working during that time, the mileage is disallowed. Thus, paperwork is really really important although we'd just like to concentrate on coaching.

sk8tegirl06
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree that a reciept or invoice of some sort is a must, either cash or check. I always pay my summer coach in cash every week, plus it is a nice round number so it is doable. It is easier that way because of her travel time my lessons vary between 20-30 minutes.So writing a check for a 30 minute lesson, but if I end up only having a 20 minute lesson then things get complicated.

My coach during the school year, just graduated this past spring, so doing invoices was not always high on the priority list. I didn't have a checkbook so cash was it. The problem was I had to wait a few weeks until it got to a nice round number again, $10s and $20s are a lot easier to find than making sure I had the 3 $1s each week. ATMs don't give out $1. I only had problem toward the end of the school year, where I know I paid up but it was chaotic between her graduating and the one rink being down so everything was on the second. I know I paid up because I was waiting until it was a round number again. A few weeks later I got an e-mail from her saying she wasn't sure if I had paid or not, but our relationship is such that she believed me. Granted I didn't want to take that chance again and got myself a checkbook a few weeks ago.

RachelSk8er
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
1. SAVE TIME FOR YOUR OWN SKATING and make sure you keep your life balanced with things outside the rink.

I kind of learned this the hard way. I was working full time, coaching an open jr synchro team as well as working with a collegiate team an hour away. I also often came in and worked with the younger two teams at my club. My job was so draining (teaching 7th grade in the inner city) and I was spending so much of my time outside of work at the rink coaching that I had no time/energy for my own skating. My boyfriend at the time also played hockey and liked to go to college games, so I pretty much spent an additional 6 hrs in the rink each week for that. And I was not happy. I was missing working on my dances and moves, missing competing and traveling with my friends, etc.

I ended up moving at the end of that year, and now I work full time (not teaching, ha ha), attend law school part time, and I actually do not coach. I've been approached about coaching synchro, starting a team at my rink, working with LTS, private lessons, etc. As nice as the extra money and other perks (free or discounted ice time) would be, my time is so limited that I had to choose between coaching and my own skating, and I'd rather skate for myself right now. And I know I'm too busy to juggle the extra commitment of coaching.

2. Also--especially for younger skaters, write EVERYTHING down. Have them keep a notebook of what they worked on in their lesson (with reminders you give them so they remember), and what to work on when they are practicing on their own. This is something they are responsible to keep and bring to every lesson and practice session. Assigning homework (i.e. "5 clean toe loops" "run through program two times", etc) not only helps them remember what to work on and keeps them productive, but helps the parent stay in the loop as to what they should be doing/working on in practice. It also helps you keep track of each student and where they are at. You can also use this to record milestones/progress (number of revolutions on spins, first time landing a jump, etc). And litte things like stickers make a huge difference. Even many of the adults and teenagers at my rink have binders where they keep stroking drills their coaches have them do, copied pages from the rulebook of MIF tests or dances they are on, sheets to record revolutions on spins, etc.

3. Attend whatever coaching seminars or conferences you can. Sometimes even the local PSA seminars will bring in top coaches from other parts of the country (I went to one in MI a few years ago and they brought in Ken Congemi from Cali, it was really cool). And not only do you learn new techniques or ideas, it's great brainstorming and networking with other coaches. Become a PSA member and start working toward cerfifications. The first written test is very easy and the first oral exams aren't so bad either. This will help you build your resume.

4. Don't be afraid to go to another coach for advice or questions, clarification on a rule you may not understand, or anything else that comes to mind. 99% of them will be glad to help you.

sk8lady
08-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Be kind to your students when they need it and tough if they try to take advantage of you--but never raise your voice or say anything mean. If you're generally kind to them the change in tone of voice will be enough to control them.
Make sure at least some of the lesson is fun rather than pure work, but always keep control of the lesson--don't goof off with them to the point where you can't get them back under control. Stop and get back to work as soon as you feel they've relaxed and are ready to get back to work.
Spend time with the parents explaining what's going on and what the skater needs, but don't let it take up more time than you have--if they want more than 3-5 minutes explain that you'd love to spend more time with them but you have to do _____ (insert info here).
All of this should be done whether you're coaching groups or individuals.
Always be professional--try not to be late, apologize if you are, put lessons in your appointment book or PDA. Look professional--no jeans or sloppy clothes.Don't discuss your student with other parents or other students, although you may wish to discuss them with other coaches who can mentor you.
Above all, enjoy your work and let others see it. If you're coaching groups and hope to move on to giving private lessons, this will net you more students than anything else! If you love your work, others will love working with you.
:D

slusher
08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
1. SAVE TIME FOR YOUR OWN SKATING and make sure you keep your life balanced with things outside the rink.

I completely agree with this. It's one of the common things in the coach room, since most of us teach groups and continue to skate, test and compete. Skating for yourself keeps you fit. Some coaches skate, some run every day but it takes a level of fitness to be a good coach.

Also, skating keeps you sane and sometimes you just need to go and jump furiously. You can't do that in the middle of tots!

dbny
08-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Do nothing for free. You might be tempted as a new coach to give that little extra lesson, or do 30 and charge for 15 minutes because you don't have anyone for the other 15. It is impossible to stop doing that and parents will tell others of their freebies thus making it never ending.

Yes & no on this one. Staff coaches are allowed to pick up private students on the public sessions, and I have gotten many a student from just skating around offering a little bit of help to those skaters or parents very obviously in need. I would do this anyway, as I hate to see anyone get hurt, but when I get a new student from it, it's icing on the cake. With my regular students, I sometimes have extra time, and if the lesson is going well, I'll keep going with it. Some students automatically pay me more, others don't, and I always make it clear from the start that it's my idea and there is no need to pay me extra. Sooner or later, the day will come when you have a time crunch for whatever reason, and it helps to have been generous in the past. You will quickly figure out who will take advantage of you and who will not.

ITA. Personally, I LOVE cash.

My little bit of advice, is to be flexible with your students, and always strive for new ways to teach. What works with one does not work for all. Also, learn from your students! Listen to what they tell you and take it in. Finally, if your phone has a video camera - use it for all levels! You can explain a thousand times how important it is to bend knees, but until a skater sees themself skating, (even swizzles), they may still be unaware of how stiff they are...etc.