View Full Version : Skating in and around Keene, New Hampshire

happysk8tes
07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Hello all,

I'm moving to Keene, New Hampshire (south west corner of the state) in September. So far I know

* Keene has a rink that's only open about four months of the year. Not sure there's even a club in Keene.

* Are there any Male Ice Dance coaches in the State of New Hampshire? I haven't found any so far, and my northern NY coach does not think there are any. I'm trying to convince my Montreal dance coach to explore new opportunities coaching somewhere near my new location. Too bad the dollar isn't stronger.

* Keene State and the city of Keene want to build a new multipurpose facility with a year round rink.

* Brattleboro, Vt. (half hour away) has a good club with an Adult Theatre on Ice group - perhaps I can join and explore a new endeavor. Except their coach is be leaving. Will she be replaced?

* The Dartmouth Skating Club is an hour fifteen minutes away, and I may be able to take lessons there during public skating.

* Woodstock, Vt. has 5 weeks of summer ice.

* There's a rink between Concord and Manchester that is open all year round, I think. Does anyone reading this skate there?

Can anyone provide any more information about skating anywhere near Keene, eastern Vt. or Northwest Mass?

Thanks greatly,
Pat

Live Free or Die

ElinorD
07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
I can provide a little bit of information, as I vacation in Southeastern Vermont often. I *love* that area! I'm quite envious of you! I'd love a chance to move there some day.
The Woodstock Union Arena is very nice. They have a few weeks of summer ice. I think their last day of summer ice was two weeks ago.
I've never skated in Thompson arena, but it's on the campus of Dartmouth College. It's down for the summer, but I think I read that they are back up during the school year. There is also Campion rink and Kimball arena.
(hopefully this is ok to link) The Skating Club of Dartmouth site has directions to the rinks in that area: http://www.scadskaters.org/
Also, this site should provide some assistance -
http://www.rinktime.com/skating_rinks/nh/new_hampshire_skating_rinks_arenas.cfm
Make sure you look at the Vermont rinks too!
Now for the *best* news. My cousin told me that they are building a year round rink in Lebanon, NH! We drove by it, it's right off of I-89. I don't know when it will be finished, but it's very exciting!
Good luck!
-Elinor

RachelSk8er
07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the area, but I'm pretty sure you will be able to find good coaching at Dartmouth. They have a very successful collegiate skating program (I think this year was their 5th straight national title at intercollegiate conference nationals...and the first intercollegiate conference nationals was only in 2000 so they've pretty much dominated).

blue111moon
07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
If you go to the USFigure Skating main page there's a place on the lower right to input your zip code and it comes up with a list of all the rinks with clubs in them and the distance from you. Some of them have links to website but at least there's contact information for each one to start with.

RoaringSkates
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
If you're in southwest NH, near the VT border, are you also near the Mass border? If so, you can look at the rinks in that region of Mass and see if there's anything good going on there. There is a rink in Greenfield, MA, which is close to the VT/NH border, on route 91, and probably an hour from Keene. You're an hour and fifteen minutes from the rink at UMass Amherst. You're also, I think, 2 hours from Simsbury, CT and the rink there, which used to be a major training center (is it still?) but if it's still a major center, you would get good ice dance coaching there. I think... I think Denis Pethukhov and Melissa Gregory are teaching there right now.

I believe you're an hour and a half from the Colonial Figure Skating Club in Mass. I've heard good things about them.

And it looks like they're hoping to build an ice arena in Keene itself:
http://nedev.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/keene-exposition-center-on-track/

LilJen
08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I've skated at the rink in Brattleboro, at an adults-only public session, and found it to be uncrowded and populated with the friendliest, most helpful people ever. It's a shame it's only open in the winter.

I have also skated at the Woodstock Arena. Granted, it was a really crowded public session during the winter break. . .

Probably too far for you, but I also liked Riley Rink in Manchester, VT.

There are also four rinks in the Manchester, NH area: JFK Coliseum (might be outdoor?), West Side Ice Arena, Sullivan Arena, and TriTown Arena (tri-townicearena.com). Never tried any of these, though.

I have much more info in a Word doc if you're interested--PM me. I went nuts finding info for places to skate while I'm staying with my MIL (Chester, VT, about 45 min from Keene).

happysk8tes
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
A belated Thanks! for the information you all provided me. I've contacted a potential coach and am waiting to hear back. I'll start visiting and calling other potential rinks and clubs you have mentioned. And I'd like to become a member of the committee that's building a new rink in Keene - how great it would be to get in on the start up planning.

We're renting a house in a rural area near Keene - I'm back to dial-up Internet, basic cable, and my cell phone only works if I stand in the middle of the road in front of my house. I never realized how reliant I'd become on technology.

Pat
Live Free or Die

Pgh.Coach
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the area, but I'm pretty sure you will be able to find good coaching at Dartmouth. They have a very successful collegiate skating program (I think this year was their 5th straight national title at intercollegiate conference nationals...and the first intercollegiate conference nationals was only in 2000 so they've pretty much dominated).

Yes, you are correct about Dartmouth's domination at intercollegiate nationals.

I used to compete against the team at various [eastern] intercollegiate competitions and personally know a few skaters currently skating for the school now, and I must say that the expectations these skaters (and coaches) have for themselves are quite high.