View Full Version : Albert Vivianai Memorial Comp--Wyandotte MI

RachelSk8er
07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
I thought there was a thread on this but I can't seem to find it.

I'm going for silver free and interp and a bronze skater from my area (Kristin, some of you know her from GRO) is also going. Kind of a last minute decision because we were both debating between this and Skate Cleveland that same weekend, but Skate Cleveland will probably have adult events cancelled due to lack of entries.

Who else is attending? Apps need to be postmarked today.

flying~camel
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Not me. I'll be in Chicago with Mel & Denise that weekend for the Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational (as the stand-in coach; not competing).

I think my first competition of the season probably won't be until Wyandotte/Mids in February.

singerskates
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm going to be in Wyandotte in Sept. just before taking off for my 25th wedding aniversary. I'll be competing in Adult Bronze FS and Adult Interp (Artistic Fun Fest).

I still am in search of something Christian but funny. And don't say choose Vegetales because I don't think I can skate as a cucumber. ROTFLOL Really, I need to find something I can play with.

It's too bad that Wyandotte isn't around Christmas or that Christmas isn't around Wyandotte because I would have dusted off my "Breathe Of Heaven" where I skated as pregnant Mary. I had the audience in stitches with it.

Does anyone know of something funny? Please!

Thanks.

RachelSk8er
07-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Do you happen to know if the 2:10 they listed as the time for adult interp was a typo? We normally do 1:40...I was going to do my new interp that I'm currently cutting music for, but if it really is 2:10 I'll probably just end up lengthening my Josh Groban program and using it again, that will be easier. I've yet to skate it decently anyway since I pretty much made it up at ANs the day I competed and didn't do it again until I competed it at GRO.

I meant to email Mary last night and ask her (via facebook) but I forgot, and it's blocked at work.

flying~camel
07-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Wyandotte typically allows 2:10 interp programs, even though the limit at ANs is 1:40.

IMHO, I think we should get 2:10 at ANs. It's hard to try to express a 4:00 song in 1:40!

sk8er1964
07-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I think they allow the 2:10 because that's what they do at Showcase nationals (or whatever it's called). I, too, think interps should be upped to a max 2:10 for the same reason as fc.

RachelSk8er
07-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I think they allow the 2:10 because that's what they do at Showcase nationals (or whatever it's called). I, too, think interps should be upped to a max 2:10 for the same reason as fc.

Yeah, but due to the number of interps and the additional time that extra 30 sec per program would take up, that won't happen. (Totally understandable.)

Do any other adult comps allow 2:10? I have a piece of music that I really wanted to do last year (um partially because it goes with my favorite, most fabulous dress...) and I was having a REALLY hard time cutting it down to 1:40 no matter what I tried. But I'm not quite sure if I want to put together a whole new program for just one competition, and we don't have ice shows/exhibitions at my rink that I'd be able to put it away for and bring it back out again. They're all hardcore themed (like last year's was this Las Vegas-themed crazy production), and adults don't normally participate.

Clarice
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
No, National Showcase limits Adults and Masters to 1:40, same as Adult Nationals. Young Adults can have up to 2:10, though. I do wish they would standardize the lengths for interpretive programs. I always cut mine to 1:40 so it's okay for Nationals, but then hate competing it at club competitions where the time limits are longer.

techskater
07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Usually DBNAI is also 2:10.

I'll be at GCFI that weekend as well, hosting WMAS girlz! 8-)

Black Sheep
07-29-2008, 06:02 PM

I'd do GCFI, but I missed the deadline. I didn't think my new program was going to be ready by Sept.

On the UP side, I get to debut it in an exhibition--and audience and no judges! :D

techskater
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I got them to change Gold to IJS and it looks like I *might* be making my "Masters Ladies" debut. :roll:

RachelSk8er
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Mary emailed me and said Mids (since it's taking the place of DBNAI for the non-qual events) will probably be 2:10.

singerskates
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Do any other adult comps allow 2:10? I have a piece of music that I really wanted to do last year (um partially because it goes with my favorite, most fabulous dress...) and I was having a REALLY hard time cutting it down to 1:40 no matter what I tried. But I'm not quite sure if I want to put together a whole new program for just one competition, and we don't have ice shows/exhibitions at my rink that I'd be able to put it away for and bring it back out again. They're all hardcore themed (like last year's was this Las Vegas-themed crazy production), and adults don't normally participate.

I have a clue as to why the interpretives are longer. It's because there are some of us Canadians who come over to compete at Wyandotte. Over here in Canada everyone's interpretives can run anywhere from 2 mins minimum to 3 mins maximum.

As for other competitions that allow interpretives to be 2:10, if you live anywhere where you can drive up to Windsor by crossing at the Detroit/Windsor border in February we have the Pat Abela Memorial Competition where you can do any interp from 2 to 3 mins. And then if you can drive up crossing the border at Niagra Falls, NY there's the Charles Dover Memorial Invitational in Grimsby, Ontario which is between Niagra Falls, ON and Hamilton, ON Canada.

To get more details on the competitions, go to
http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/competitions.htm

By the way, our rules for interpretive are much different than the US rules and we tend to only have one type of interpretive. No costumes, no props, no pantemime(sp). Just strickly skating to the nuances of the music acsenting rythme, melody, harmony to convey the them chosen. You also must supply the judges with your chosen theme. For more info go to http://www.skatecanada.ca

RachelSk8er
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
^^Does Skate Canada recognize USFS tests for competing freestyle though? I won't travel to compete if all I could do is interp.

However, if test rules (and finances, and my work schedule, and my law school schedule) allowed, competing in Canada, especially if I can do so under IJS, might be interesting. I'm only 3 hrs from either crossing point and have a lot of friends in Ontario I could visit and one in Buffalo I could possibly convince to compete with me.

techskater
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
It's not because of the Canadians, it's because one of the organizers would prefer to skate a 2:10 interp. ;)

singerskates
07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
It's not because of the Canadians, it's because one of the organizers would prefer to skate a 2:10 interp. ;)

Ey, I had to try. Actually, in years past I've talked to the Wyandotte SC President about the program lengths but that doesn't really mean a thing. I am glad though to see that the interpretives (a.k.a. show programs and not like our Canuck interpretives) are at least 2:10 max at the Wyandotte competitions. :P

singerskates
07-31-2008, 08:51 PM
^^Does Skate Canada recognize USFS tests for competing freestyle though? I won't travel to compete if all I could do is interp.

However, if test rules (and finances, and my work schedule, and my law school schedule) allowed, competing in Canada, especially if I can do so under IJS, might be interesting. I'm only 3 hrs from either crossing point and have a lot of friends in Ontario I could visit and one in Buffalo I could possibly convince to compete with me.

The only place we have CPC (not IJS but almost) for adult competitors is at the Skate Canada Adult Championships. We simply don't have enough competitors yet to make it worth while to use CPC everywhere except for the reg. stream competitive skaters who are trying to get to either the Skate Canada reg. Championships (Senior and Junior) or Junior Championships (Juvenile to Novice). Reg. StarSkate (not adult) uses CPC at some of the competitons but not all plus the Boston Pizza StarSkate Sectionals (in WOS, can't tell you about other sections) and StarSkate Nationals. StarSkate is sort of in between Recreational and Competitive and is a stepping stone on the way to Competitive for those who need the extra time to get to the right level for their age in Competitive.

Most of the adult competitions are still using 6.0 over here. I can't wait until all the competitions at least in StarSkate and AdultSkate use CPC. I'd leave the Recreational events be marked with 6.0 so those who are really there just for fun and don't want to try to get to the top in Canada don't have the added stress of making sure all their elements are up to CPC standards.

As for US Adult tests being recognized, yes Skate Canada and all the sections recognize the USFSA Adult FS tests. I don't know about ISI though. Does any of my Canadian pals out there know about ISI?

So yeah come on over and meet us Canucks. We'd love to have you!

RachelSk8er
08-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Do they recognize USFS standard track tests for competing adult in Canada? The only adult test I've ever done in any discipline was bronze free so I could compete at ANs last year, but I now compete silver (long story but they let me slide on pre-bronze because a judge I asked for clarification told me my pre-pre test I took when I was 8 meant I didn't need pre-bronze...this actually wasn't the case a year ago but after pulling my test/competition history, USFS said I was good to go). Since our rules have now changed and we can use either adult tests or their standard "equivalent", I'm just doing the standard tests. I know you have a slightly different test structure than we do. Although I guess since it's non-quals, it doesn't really matter. Your synchro teams come here to compete at levels not recognized by the ISU that are essentially equal to some of our levels, but have slightly different age or other requirements.

We had a skater move to Calgary, she was through USFS adult silver moves and free and either working on or completely finished with her bronze dances, and she had to go back and re-test everything.

slusher
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
To compete in adult categories as a US skater, you'd look at what the Canadian elements are for bronze, silver, gold, masters and place yourself accordingly. Most silver skaters don't do axels unless they're clean because the point ding on a cheat axel is too much but the level of basic skating is very high. If you can do a clean axel, consider skating gold.

Canada doesn't require skills tests in order to get a freeskate level so no one really cares if you test skills/moves or not. Canada does not recognize US moves or dances test, so yes, skaters have to start at the beginning and retest.